• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look: the headset design for PlayStation VR2

SLB1904

Banned
Why would someone buy this when you can have a quest 2 with Facebook integration. Makes no sense
FineVapidGerenuk-size_restricted.gif

isual

looks cool. i wear glasses, but its really uncomfortable. i have to use contact lenses to effectively use VR headsets properly.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It really shouldn't to be honest.

Okay, thanks for the thoughtful contribution. Have you compared wireless and wired usage of VR headsets on serious room-scale gaming? I have--with Alyx on a Quest 2, as well as with a handful of other PC VR games--and I can guarantee you that a sizeable majority of players would choose to go wireless most of the time on their PS5 if given the option. After a while, I wish I hadn't even purchased the $70 tethering cable for the Quest because there is simply not enough benefit to offset the damning usability problems of having to deal with a cord.

Low-distance streaming in the same room can have extremely low latency and high quality, and having a giant cord tethering you to the TV is easily far more of an annoyance for room-scale gaming than anything else about the headset's ergonomics or form factor.

Last edited:

Skyfox

You can use contact lens, no?
Or can you use with glasses?

I’m just curious… I used glasses two decades ago.
WIth the Samsung VR it had a lens adjuster that focused. So you didn't have to wear your glasses as well as the VR headset at the same time. It's a no-brainer for the millions who have to wear glasses.

If the lens adjusts but not in this way it's an incredibly stupid omission.

Okay, thanks for the thoughtful contribution. Have you compared wireless and wired usage of VR headsets on serious room-scale gaming? I have--with Alyx on a Quest 2, as well as with a handful of other PC VR games--and I can guarantee you that a sizeable majority of players would choose to go wireless most of the time on their PS5 if given the option. After a while, I wish I hadn't even purchased the $70 tethering cable for the Quest because there is simply not enough benefit to offset the damning usability problems of having to deal with a cord.

Low-distance streaming in the same room can have extremely low latency and high quality, and having a giant cord tethering you to the TV is easily far more of an annoyance for room-scale gaming than anything else about the headset's ergonomics or form factor.
It isn't cord vs no cord. It is cord vs cordless but having a heavy battery and the related heat issues. Quest 2 had to be nerfed in processing power because otherwise it would melt. A corded design solves this. And funny you mention long gaming sessions when the battery life would be a limiting factor.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It isn't cord vs no cord. It is cord vs cordless but having a heavy battery and the related heat issues. Quest 2 had to be nerfed in processing power because otherwise it would melt. A corded design solves this. And funny you mention long gaming sessions when the battery life would be a limiting factor.
The Quest's heat tradeoffs aren't relevant at all here; it has to balance processing power and heat because it is sold as a standalone device as well, fully running and rendering its own library of games within the headset. To simply stream the content from a console does not have heavy processing requirements in the headset on a comparable level. So this is a weirdly irrelevant statement.

It's also simply bizarre to act like the minor weight of a battery is a huge deal, but having a cord on you is somehow not a huge deal. When I use a tether, I can always feel that unbalance pressure of the cord when I move quickly. It's constantly annoying, and absolutely one of the keys to making roomscale work.

On battery life -- I've never had a session where it limited me. But then again, I think playing for over 2 hours without even a break should be considered fringe rather than baseline. And the cord is always there for the types who want that kind of thing, who are almost guaranteed to just be sitting in a chair lazily anyhow.

ZehDon

Gold Member
FMM_ZXMWUAcz760

• focus on ergonomics & comfort
  • adjustable headband
  • adjustable scope and headphone jack at the same spot as PSVR1
  • new lens adjustment dial - less weight, slimmer
  • new built-in motor
  • new vent helps lens to avoid fog
Looks brilliant, as always. The PSVR was a really gorgeous product that showed off Sony's history in consumer electronics well. PSVR2 continues that; it's a device made to look good and feels good to wear, and it shows. Loving the vent addition - such a simple change! - and I'll be curious to see the impact of the adjustable lens. I'm able to wear the Quest 2 without my glasses, I hope the same is true here.
Looks fantastic.

Now release it budle with half life alyx.
If Sony can get Half-Life Alyx on PSVR2, that's a massive win. Game is legit magic, and it's a crime against humanity that it was overlooked so heavily because it was a VR exclusive title.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The "but it should be wireless" people haven't seemed to consider that Sony has tried it and the results aren't measuring up. Either quality wise or the price is too steep. It's obvious that more than likely with PSVR3 it'll be wireless, given that we went from 4 wires to 1 from PSVR1 to PSVR2.

And for what Sony is trying to do, it doesn't need to be wireless since it needs a PS5 to be used.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Please work on pc!

…and make that wire not be hardwired…please….also I hope the controllers allow enough room for wrist rotations and not twatting your own headset when aiming a sniper or gun etc.

Last edited:

aclar00

We'll just have to wait until PSVR 3 for wireless folks. Even then, I doubt it will be standalone unless GaaS and Gamepass/PS + takeover. I think it will just be streaming to the headset while PS6 does the processing. They may just need dedicate streaming chip or something.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is a shame, doesn't look like a headset I'll ever be able to use. I've never successfully worn PSVR longer than 20 minutes, despite using an Index for 4 hours straight regularly. Putting 100% of the weight on the forehead coupled with the extreme ocipital and temple clamping force required to keep this kind of mount stationary in movement gives me a guaranteed headache and makes my forehead follicles itch like poison ivy after 20 or 30 minutes.
Cv1 was my fav. I was able to finish whole Alyx in two 7 hours play sessions with some breasts. Longest I’ve ever been in vr. It was hot and I had vr face and hair for whole next week lol

Fredrik

Wavebird is king. 60 hours, but no rumble.
Just joking with the ”one cable is perfect” folks, there is a /s hidden at the bottom 😋

For controllers I think most will agree that cables are bad, one or three cables makes no real difference. People really just don’t know better when it comes to VR headsets, yet. As far as I’m concerned the cable is the biggest oversight.

Last edited:

wisozp

Neo Member
As someone who purchased psvr on day one with my hard earned money Iam complled to ask that powers be dont overlook things such as
breaker box for hdr passthrough, camera drift... letting go of a hardware at a time when they done next to no rnd other then strapping on a move controller on head and playing a few god of war demos and charging ppl 500+ is not acceptable. Playing driveclub in vr made me close to vomit, I can handle Windlands. Looking forward to eye tracking... plz dont let me down again. First was a expensive demo.

ZoukGalaxy

Okay, thanks for the thoughtful contribution.
But no thanks, I don't want poor graphics, heavy headset and short battery life. You can keep all that for you. There is simply not enough benefit to offset the damning usability problems of having to deal with an uncomfortable heavy headset with short battery life, lag and video compression artefacts.
I will go all day every day with a ridiculous lightweight tethered cable for unlimited lag free game session @maxquality.
SONY did it 100% right with PSVR1/2 by going wired and there is a reason if all Oculus founders left Facebook after being bought. Oculus Rift S was their true last work and masterpiece. And fuck Facebook with their trash hardware made for short experience.

Last edited:
I know it probably wont have PC integration but will I be able to watch certain media with it? Can you access a Plex server with ps5?
If psvr2 worked out, Sony could release a PC vr headset separately (at a profit). Remember that the prototype was based on development from the Sony TV divison.

EekTheKat

Of note - PSVR's halo design has always felt pretty damn comfortable vs. the cheap straps and the likes that have been used on other headsets. So it's not a huge surprise that they carried on with it.

From a usability standpoint - they need to do is reduce the amount of wires needed to hook up. Single cable solution would be ideal if no wireless solution is on the table.

Other than that, an IPD calibration utility that actually works would be great.

It's all the little tweaks and settings that makes VR great - but those very same settings are the same ones the casual public user does not want to mess with.

AGRacing

I know it probably wont have PC integration but will I be able to watch certain media with it? Can you access a Plex server with ps5?

There is absolutely no reason the PSVR2 shouldn't have PC integration. It's a single cord USB-C solution. The controller will be Bluetooth like the DualSense OR connect to the headset in some proprietary way. In either case that isn't a hurdle.

At the very least they could create a driver for this headset. A new model wouldn't be required. Perhaps it won't be ready for launch... but it will happen.. even if someone else does it for them.

aclar00

I suspect there will be a wireless option at some point during the PS5 lifecycle. The wifi6 onboard seems primed for this.

The problem is what looks like a non-detachable cable in the photos. Doesnt look removable, unless i missed something.

aclar00

Okay, thanks for the thoughtful contribution.
But no thanks, I don't want poor graphics, heavy headset and short battery life. You can keep all that for you. There is simply not enough benefit to offset the damning usability problems of having to deal with an uncomfortable heavy headset with short battery life, lag and video compression artefacts.
I will go all day every day with a ridiculous lightweight tethered cable for unlimited lag free game session @maxquality.
SONY did it 100% right with PSVR1/2 by going wired and there is a reason if all Oculus founders left Facebook after being bought. Oculus Rift S was their true last work and masterpiece. And fuck Facebook with their trash hardware made for short experience.

There's room for a middle ground on the next interation, but that would include a detachable battery and cable. Essentially, attach the battery for wireless use and detach it for wired use. Fidelity could be similar if the streaming tech is there. No need to have a built-in processor unless it's marketed as a super portable Meta device.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The cable in the back isn't so bad. With the short battery life on the quest 2 I spend quite a bit of time hooked up to a power cable anyway.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
VR headset warring on the down-low. Nice. You don't have to feel threatened by the Quest 2. Everything will be ok.

More warring. You have Big Truck Syndrome.
---
On topic. The vent thing is a good idea as long as it's perfectly quiet. The way the cord is fixed into the headset instead of having a breakaway option seems like poor design, and honestly so is not having a wireless option in the first place. The controller design and how you put your hands through the rings is a little weird. Aside from those minor gripes, it appears to be a great option for VR.

Is that you zuck?

Um9ziIl.gif

mckmas8808

We'll just have to wait until PSVR 3 for wireless folks. Even then, I doubt it will be standalone unless GaaS and Gamepass/PS + takeover. I think it will just be streaming to the headset while PS6 does the processing. They may just need dedicate streaming chip or something.

It should ALWAYS be this way for a PlayStation headset.

• Strength
Reactions: K2D

mckmas8808

Does anybody know how much the processors cost in the Quest 2? I'm sure having a mobile CPU and GPU with RAM built into the headset can't be cheap. Any data on this yet?

Top Bottom