• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For or Against the ABK Acquisition (read OP first)

For or Against

• For

Votes: 152 38.3%
  • Against

Votes: 178 44.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 67 16.9%

• Total voters
I'm for it but then I like making money.
I wish more gamers would invest in gaming companies. The conversations would be sooooooo much different. (Not better just different.)

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't know of a single area where market consolidation led to better choices for the consumer in the mid and long run, so as a consumer I'm against it.
Of course, this also means I'd be against Sony doing the same.

I also believe that:

- Microsoft's corporate culture is great for B2B, office and OS products, but it's simply bad for managing game development studios. They've had 20 years in this market to learn how to do it but they keep driving dev houses and their IPs into the ground, which is why they consistently need to come back to buying more game dev studios and more IPs. ABK's studios and IPs will most probably not be better under Microsoft, given Microsoft's history.

- The idea that Game Pass will keep its price and the games from current and newly acquired studios will keep their quality / output is an illusion based on wishes, wet dreams and false advertisement.
I already bought Game Pass Ultimate until December 2024 so I'd be immensely favored by having "all the games" under that service, but I'm not so naive to the point of thinking this subscription will pay for 2 years of all ABK + Zenimax games with zero strings attached. Microsoft is in the business of making money, not giving away stuff.
People seriously need to wake up on this subject.

Ar¢tos

I'm all 3 options.
Mostly I don't care because Activision has yet to make a game that interests me, but part of me is against because I know many Playstation gamers like CoD and whatever other crap Activision does, and another part of me is for the deal because there hasn't been a deal of this size in the industry and I'm very curious about the consequences this will have, not only for Sony, but also for other big publishers and to see how MS is going to manage such a big publisher.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't really, more on the against side.

It is useless to me, as last good game was more than 10 years ago. Blur, BLOPS

If they would do Blur 2, I would be in strong yes

Topher

Gold Member
I don't really, more on the against side.

It is useless to me, as last good game was more than 10 years ago. Blur, BLOPS

If they would do Blur 2, I would be in strong yes

If I looked into the future and saw the Blizzard of old emerging out of Microsoft then I would be a "oh hell yeah"

SJRB

Gold Member
HlrH0ZP.gif

Solidus_T

Against. Microsoft already owns more studios than all of its competitors. We don't need the video game market to shrink by another 70B USD for them to be able to compete - Game Pass aside.
Also, their output has been severely lacking due to mismanagement. How should anyone believe that these studios will be well managed under them? Not that I want another trillion dollar tech giant to acquire ABK at all - but MS has particularly shown how they are not to be trusted.
They can easily take that 70 billion and make a wealth of new studios. The problem is that their approach with this acquision is terminally lazy. It's just buying the market from their competitors.

For.

Mostly because I have some ATVI stock.

I like dabbling in yearly COD but I got an unjustified permaban during BO:CW, and am not returning to COD, on principle, unless my ban is overturned.

But it's kind of like Disney buying Star Wars... it was kinda dead already, and what they made out of it is a sucky shambling corpse that just tarnishes a once-great legacy.

In the grand scheme of things I don't think it really matters. Microsoft and Sony are both the bad guy. AAA sucks. I'd probably prefer the alternate universe where gaming stayed more niche and things like casting "real" Hollywood actors for voice roles never happened.

reinking

Gold Member
I do not believe it is the best move for the industry but I do not believe this move will destroy the industry, MS or Sony regardless of the outcome. With that said....

Classic Film Reaction GIF

yazenov

Against.

I'm interested to see MS's plan B if the deal doesn't pass the regulators, while their hopes shatter and them hitting the panic button will be fun to watch along with the meltdowns in the forums.

I personally don't give a fuck about AKB games as I never buy their games anyways so either option doesn't affect me.

I buy COD yearly so saving that 70$ for something else would be nice…only reason I care. And better management. MS doesn’t get much news on harassment like current AVB.

NickFire

Against.

I'm interested to see MS's plan B if the deal doesn't pass the regulators, while their hopes shatter and them hitting the panic button will be fun to watch along with the meltdowns in the forums.
If we're getting technical, wouldn't any plan that comes after this deal being rejected count as plan D or later? A would have been whatever the original plan was pre-Series launch. B would be Bethesda. And C would be Activision.

Not for nothing, but I think the juiciest litigation leaks will be and any all internal memos regarding Plan A.

Kacho

Don't care.

Activision only puts out Call of Duty these days and I stopped playing those after Infinite Warfare. Couldn't give less of a shit which console dumbasses prefer to buy their battle pass on.

The Blizzard I loved is dead. Overwatch is a garbage IP. Haven't sunk time in a WoW expansion since Legion. No interest in an always online MMO Diablo. Shit company now.

LOL @ King

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I bought Activision stock prior to the purchase so I guess I am for it. But it doesn't really affect me.

anthony2690

Banned
For.

Why?

I'm a game pass subscriber, if it means my friends or family will have diablo 4 and other multiplayer games day one without the worry about who has or hasn't purchased the game.

Plus if something is on game pass it's a LOT easier convincing someone to try something out.

Last edited:

Rykan

Against.

I am strongly in favor of multiplatform games as much as possible. Ideally, every single game would be multiplatform so that you can play the games you want to play regardless of which platform you choose. Your platform of choice should be based entirely on the hardware included and the service it provides. You should be able to play the games you want without having to purchase additional nearly identical hardware. It's a waste of money and a waste of resources.

second of all, It's a colossal waste of money. I want MS to spend money to develop new content. Build new studios, make more games. Instead, they are spending an absurd amount of money so that they can make Call of Duty exclusive...eventually? Maybe? Not even that.

For.

1) Gamepass.
2) A strong Microsoft keeps Sony (and to a lesser extent, Nintendo) needing to compete.

That said, I'm not for because I want anything to be exclusive. I wish exclusives would die on all platforms. Stop making me buy multiple expensive consoles that I don't want to play games that I do. Timed exclusives are even worse. Stop asking me to pay full price for something that was available a year ago, but you chose to hold back. I'm okay with things being exclusive to a subscription service, as long as that service is widely available on all/most hardware.

Leaning a bit more toward "against", though I could not care less about any of the games Activision-Blizzard has produced. MS has enough money to either grow its teams, build a network of second party devs, or acquire new start-ups to do it the way Nintendo and Sony have managed so far. Instead, and after two decades of mostly failures, it has decided to fall back on what secured its quasi-monopolistic position elsewhere: Impose its model by buying up its way to the top via investing funds that its competitors could not dream of, obtained via activities that have nothing to do with videogames; and accelerate a consolidation process that could very well change the landscape for the worse (see Hollywood consolidation).
Were MS to agree on keeping the franchises multiplatform, unlike what it did with Zenimax, I would not give the thing any importance...but cutting off millions of people, depriving the audiance of Playstation of titles that they have been used to getting for years, simply to tackle Sony, is, frankly, a move that should be opposed: Instead of creating IPs under your banner, simply make sure that existing ones are no longer available to your rival. Plus, what would stop MS from waking up one morning and deciding to make Capcom, Ubisoft, or any other publisher an offer they could not refuse, knowing that neither Sony, nor Nintendo, could lock horns with them financially?
Anyway, it is still videogames, a simple entertainment industry, so it is not like it is that serious of a matter...It's just that you start wondering whether there are any rules that govern the field to prevent such a potential concentration of power.

Last edited:

Yoboman

For.

1) Gamepass.
2) A strong Microsoft keeps Sony (and to a lesser extent, Nintendo) needing to compete.

That said, I'm not for because I want anything to be exclusive. I wish exclusives would die on all platforms. Stop making me buy multiple expensive consoles that I don't want to play games that I do. Timed exclusives are even worse. Stop asking me to pay full price for something that was available a year ago, but you chose to hold back. I'm okay with things being exclusive to a subscription service, as long as that service is widely available on all/most hardware.
"I'm fine with exclusives as long as it fits Microsoft's business model"

A.Romero

For.

I'm up for free market. If Microsoft has the money and ABK is willing to be bought, why not?

TBH I'm not that big of a fan of ABK games so I don't think it will impact my gaming habits or enjoyment of games. At the same time I'd be more open to try their games if they were on Gamepass.

Disney bought everything in their path and their output has been fairly good, don't see why Microsoft couldn't do something worthwhile with those capabilities.

Also new studios can and will be created. I'm not concerned about innovation or new games coming out.

slade

Don't really care. Only Activision related game I bought in recent years was Sekiro and that should tell you everything.

I've been thinking about this thread and whether it would be sensible to post it given this is NeoGaf. But i've been thinking... there will be one rule. You cannot reply to a post. You can only make one post in the thread and it will be on whether you are for or against the acquisition (or dont care) and why. It is important to hear peoples opinion and in some cases it is better to hear them unopposed (well not really.... but this is NeoGaf after all).

This is a subject that will obviously lead to console warring and we don't wont any of that hence the one post rule (and no post editing to counter someone's post).

So

Which side are you on and why.

Edit: Because someone asked... ABK = Activision Blizzard King
i just replied to this post

Microsoft would be buying other publishers otherwise, so I’d rather it be Activision since I don’t terribly care about CoD. Ideally I would prefer there be no exclusives whatsoever though.

Against.

The goal of MS is to beat Sony by using their vast advantage in finances to buy studios and deny content to Sony platforms. This is a blatantly monopolistic tactic and would be illegal if anyone cared about the video games market at the United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division.

If you are happy with Call of Duty being made Xbox exclusive just because that is the only desperate strategy MS has left to stop their final defeat in gaming, then you are for this acquisition. Otherwise you should be against it too.

Last edited:

Aenima

Against. Even if i dont care about any Activision or Blizzard game, if the deal go in favor of MS, the aquisition of big studios or publishers will keep going from both sides, and more IPs that once was multiplatform will keep being taken away from certain consoles. If the deal fall, that should put a stop in atempts to aquire big publishers.

Just support your own studios or buy/ create new studios and fund new IPs.

T4keD0wN

For

I want this for Microsoft. They desperately need more games.
I want this for workers. Microsoft undoubtedly has a better work culture than Blizzard.
I want this for me. I want starcraft and warcraft, but ABK ignore real-time strategy genre, Microsoft dont as they need it for gamepass pc growth.
I want this for Playstation fans. Playstation fans love exclusives and theyve been claiming how they are good for the industry.

The only one who has initially been against the aquisition is Sony, who just happens to be the market leader and their biggest competitor in the sector so there is no valid argument against the aquisition. Sonys (sometimes hypocritical) arguments hold no weight and should be fully ignored as they are direct competitors who are just smartly trying to keep their well earned market dominance (cant blame them, every company would do the same in this situation). Had the market leader been the one buying them, now that would be a cause for concern, but even that should still go through.

Its a big win for me, workers, Microsoft and even Playstation fans. Unfortunately its also a win for Bobby, which i dont like but whatever.

Its only a big loss for whoever at CMA and FTC is trying to make their name on this case about somethings as unimportant as video games instead of going after things that actually matter like monopolies in food/news/energy industries. Boo

Last edited:

Killer8

Lots of turkeys voting for Christmas in this poll.

- This will be a net negative for the industry with less games being released on Xbox competitor's platforms. PlayStation fans will miss out - but hey, not like Xbox fanboys will care, seeing as the internet has devolved into just wanting owners of another box to be shit on.
- Microsoft will probably gut the company. There is a long lineage of studios MS have bought up over the years, only to fire a lot of the staff, shutter completely or criminally under-utilize. They recently laid people off from Bethesda (who they just bought for $7.5 billion), so obviously MS aren't caring much about the talent they're buying.
- It's a colossal waste of money to me. It could absolutely be argued that it's 'worth it' in terms of the long term financial returns for MS. They are in this to make money and grow the Xbox brand, after all. But i'm a gamer, not a business executive, and I weep at how many AAA games you could bankroll with that money. How many new studios and IP you could organically grow to make Xbox great again. MS seem to be just taking the easy route of buying up pre-existing studios and IP. The Xbox brand is sorely needing exclusive games, and at best all this will really do is give them a COD feather in their cap each year. Granted, a lot of people love COD, but one series will do little to address Xbox's quantity issues.

Seyken

Heavily against.

Microsoft hasn't shown that they are good at managing much smaller studios than the behemoth that is ActiBlizz, so I don't expect that to magically change.

And the second and most important point: no matter what you tell me, there's not a fiber in my being that believes ActiBlizz games released under gamepass won't be even MORE riddled with microtransactions, since in many people's mind gamepass is something akin to "free to play", essentially giving them a pass to bludgeon people's wallets as they please. You know it's coming with how expensive/large/polished their games usually are and them needing to recoup costs.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Against.

You'd have to be a complete fucking shill to be for this.

OH YES! Less competition is exactly what this industry needs. Give me a break.

Also.

Microsoft and their "we want everyone to be able to play anywhere!" Kumbaya approach to gaming can fuck off. If people want to play COD, they will buy the appropriate platforms. They're going to water it down to hell and have it run on Switch.

Last edited:
I'm in two minds.
From a buisness point of view MS should be able to buy ABK. The FTC trying to protect Sony's dominate position goes totally against anti trust rules.

As an xbox gamer? I would rather they spent that money buying other studios such as Asobo, Certain Affinity, IO Interactive, Edios, Crystal Dynamics, Avalanche and WB games.
It would cost less than half the amount and give me as a xbox gamer three times the amount of content.

Neofire

Against because of the for many reasons but most importantly Microsoft will most certainly make all but CoD ABK IPs exclusive like they did with the Bethesda acquisition. Which in my opinion will be very unhealthy for the industry as a whole.

Top Bottom