• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

I think once the teams get a hang of it the format will be good.

Still don't think it had to be "fixed" though....

krang

I can't wait for Monday to watch my work colleagues eat crow. They said the new quali format was going to be great. Haha.

:-(

Funny how the new format has the opposite effect.

There is a difference if suddenly a bunch of drivers are kicked out at the same time or just one driver every 90s.
Teams know exactly now if it makes sense pulling out another fast lap or just staying in the garage.

chadskin

I think once the teams get a hang of it the format will be good.

Still don't think it had to be "fixed" though....

They basically need to be out on the track the whole time to try to improve their lap times but the teams don't have enough tires to actually do this lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well the end of Q2 was boring. Saving tyres is the order of the day so we get no track action at all.

McLarens, Renaults and Force India's out of Q2. And Bottas, which is disappointing.

Edit: Oh, and Mercedomination is resumed. Eek.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
@adamcooperF1
I Tweeted the other day that those in 9th and 10th would 'stick' and take the free tyre choice for the start and look what happened...

@adamcooperF1
Clever strategy from Force India but it rather takes away the drama of the end of Q2...

Guess that means the top 8 will have to start on supersofts while Force India can run longer on softs/mediums.

krang

Actually one of my colleagues thought the clock reset every 90 seconds, lol.

Now, ignoring the fact that some tracks are longer than 90 seconds, that would be a hell of a spectacle.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They basically need to be out on the track the whole time to try to improve their lap times but the teams don't have enough tires to actually do this lol

Thy really need to get rid of this bullshit strategy meta game with the tires.

Upinsmoke

Qualifying is terrible.

Mercedes win the constructors again, obviously not there fault they are better than everyone else but it's just boring to watch. Maybe things might be better in 2017. Doubt I'll be tuning in again this season.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Thy really need to get rid of this bullshit strategy meta game with the tires.
Yep, it ruins the potential of the new format.

Only 3-4 minutes to set a time, quick get out there! Nah, no tyres.

markao

Imagine this format with the cars on full wet tyres and a rapidly drying track...it would be chaos.
Imagine this qualifying format with Briatore still active in F1, red flags everywhere ;)

Shame Haas started their laps to late in Q3, would caught a few teams out with their pace.

What was the problem of letting teams use as many tires as they want? I just don't get it. You can keep the having to use one of each compound in the race, but other than that, let tires be unlimited. It fucks this sport over from FP1 to race. Ugh. This shit is making my head spin.

tomtom94

What was the problem of letting teams use as many tires as they want? I just don't get it. You can keep the having to use one of each compound in the race, but other than that, let tires be unlimited. It fucks this sport over from FP1 to race. Ugh. This shit is making my head spin.

i would imagine because Pirelli would need to know in advance how many tyres to bring to each race.

ElTorro

Yep, it ruins the potential of the new format.

Only 3-4 minutes to set a time, quick get out there! Nah, no tyres.

"Let's just stay in the pit and not fight for positions, because its better to save these bullshit tires for tomorrow."

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Funny how the new format has the opposite effect.

There is a difference if suddenly a bunch of drivers are kicked out at the same time or just one driver every 90s.
Teams know exactly now if it makes sense pulling out another fast lap or just staying in the garage.

It was expected. The teams simply don't have the unlimited number of tyre sets they'd need for this qualy to work.

stryke

Costs of transport

ElTorro

Toro Rosso ahead of their rookie team, as expected.

tomtom94

Bring extra? With the amount of money in F1, you would think some extra rubber would be a non issue.

Well no, because of cost saving. And given Pirelli almost had to withhold tyres from Lotus last year, the teams are not exactly going to be happy if they suddenly have to pay more.

I suspect the solution will be to give the teams one or two less sets in free practice and switch a couple of sets to qualifying. I don't know if it will work, but that's the best solution.

Aiii

So not worth it
mobile.80i7j8i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom