• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken is getting meme'd on

Sonic the Hedgehog

"OK, so let me get this straight. I'm in some wacky tropical art piece where I'm seeing- and I'm being serious here- dancing flowers that turn their petals around. All of the dirt has this checkerboard look to it, there are a bunch of robots around, and I'm talking to an anthropomorphic fox with two tails. Also, I run super fast now. Am I dreaming, or did I literally just get transported into an alien universe? This is so cra-zay, omigosh!"

How was mine?!?
giphy.webp

Dr.Morris79

One of my favourite games is Uncharted Lost Legacy where they are actually strong women. This game protagonist is just a woke pastiche that reminds us every 5 seconds how she's strong and everything is better because she's not a white man. I actually expect a gender reveal and pronouns at this stage.

So it's not about woman (did you assume zir gender?) but all the morally bankrupt stuff around it.
The original Lara Croft was a proper strong woman. Rynn from Drakan was a strong woman. Joanna Dark from the original Perfect Dark was a strong woman..

Whatever the hell the women we're presented with half the time nowdays are not 'strong' women..

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Id rather have Agni's Philosopy .
Pretty sure this is Agni's Philosophy. Also I have to laugh at how people want tech demo's over actual games. I'd rather play a game that looks fun instead of whine cry bitch and moan about games they will never play.

Given the brief story snippets you really get some Neverending Story vibes and that isn't bad. Game could be bad but I'd rather give it a fair shot first.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
For this to work, it has to actually be funny. That's the missing ingredient.

Similar set up with Farscape, Guardians of the Galaxy and so on. The punchlines have to actually be humorous. If they can pull that off, it can work.

OZ9000

Banned
Is it the female power fantasy to be completely insufferable as a person and still be wanted, needed and adored? Female characters these days all start out 'amazing' and have little to no development. The struggle for them is never physical, always emotional. Things that would be difficult for even the most capable guy are trivial to them. In modern media a 'strong' woman just acts and behaves exactly the same as a guy. Feminine character traits are completely abandoned and not integrated into the characters at all. This typically leaves them completely unlikeable and difficult to relate to. As long as they are never afraid, tell bad jokes and can successfully emasculate the surrounding men then I guess that fits the archetype of modern female characters. The fact that the the terrible voice actor of this game also played the insufferable, arrogant and downright dislikeable Jade in the recent RE travesty tells me everything.
Well said.

Frankly women in the current era of video games are insufferable.

I'd rather play the old Tomb Raider or No One Lives Forever than the garbage we see today.

One of my favourite games is Uncharted Lost Legacy where they are actually strong women. This game protagonist is just a woke pastiche that reminds us every 5 seconds how she's strong and everything is better because she's not a white man. I actually expect a gender reveal and pronouns at this stage.

So it's not about woman (did you assume zir gender?) but all the morally bankrupt stuff around it.
“Morally bankrupt” is such an odd choice of words

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it looks like a lot of fun to play. Magic abilities look good. Traversal look interesting. Feels fast paced and fun unlike other grounded open world games.

But I really dont want to play as a teenage hippie. It's like how I didnt want to play as Raiden when I was 15. I dont want to play as myself. Teen angst, teen trash talk, and attitude is stupid, cringe and stuff everyone wants to leave behind. I really dont understand why devs think that by targeting this age demographic they will sell more games. The best selling games like CoD, GTA, RDR and GOW do target that demographic but they dont make the protagonist a fucking teenager. No one wants that shit. Not even teenagers.

Just a big miscalculation here.

MiguelItUp

To each their own, but I don't understand how anyone is looking forward to this. Sure the graphics look decent, and so does the gameplay. But you couldn't pay me to play a game where I'd have to listen to an obnoxious protagonist like that the entire time. It's just too much.

I don't mind a mouthy protagonist at all, but when it's like this, or something similar, nah, I'm good.

For instance, I actually really dug the dialogue segments in The New Order. Hell, even New Colossus was alright. But this kind of stuff in Forsaken is basically straight up Wolfenstein Youngblood to me. Which was pretty eeeeesh, lol.

Sgt.Asher

To be fair, if it wasn't for this, I wouldn't know about forsaken ...uh forspoken. (fitting name because she speaks to much).
Then again I'm still not getting it. Looks okay at best.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dunno I think you guys are just overreacting over some out of context dialogue. This is about as bad about peeps complaining about Xenoblade 1 because dem faces and convinced the game will tank big time. Everyone was worse with XCX and they now think it's the most amazing thing since sliced bread.

Maybe some people are getting too old and have turned into a leather shoe.

Last edited:

Jormatar

I haven't really paid attention to this game but traversal looks better than in most open world games at least. I like jumpy and speedy.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I could care less about the script, but what the hell is up with the awful audio quality? Did they have the voice actress record it in her bathroom via airpods and send it in with a 1 hour notice?

Do better marketing.

Last edited:

Shifty

Yeah okay, that is something I do nnnnnnnnnnnnn-

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

Asked the same question in another Forspoken thread. I didn't think it was justified either, as no one was attacking or insulting each other, everyone was just expressing their displeasure towards a cringy game.
Question was deleted 1 minute later, but this was the answer :
S0s8RcW.jpg
NRUP3Ud.gif

Troubling times when this takes priority over the endemic disingenuous warriorposting. What an Era we live in.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread will be closed as well.
It's probably fine now Twitter has taken up the cause. They are, after all, a highly credible source of cringe.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Cringe is the new consumer buzzword, like "visceral" used to be the buzzword for these companies.
Except, cringe is the genuine emotion i'm getting from this.

Isn't cringe the second hand embarrassment you feel for someone else? If yes, that's the one.

Sonic the Hedgehog

"OK, so let me get this straight. I'm in some wacky tropical art piece where I'm seeing- and I'm being serious here- dancing flowers that turn their petals around. All of the dirt has this checkerboard look to it, there are a bunch of robots around, and I'm talking to an anthropomorphic fox with two tails. Also, I run super fast now. Am I dreaming, or did I literally just get transported into an alien universe? This is so cra-zay, omigosh!"

How was mine?!?
You were late, Sonic already talks like that.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

But I really dont want to play as a teenage hippie. It's like how I didnt want to play as Raiden when I was 15. I dont want to play as myself. Teen angst, teen trash talk, and attitude is stupid, cringe and stuff everyone wants to leave behind. I really dont understand why devs think that by targeting this age demographic they will sell more games. The best selling games like CoD, GTA, RDR and GOW do target that demographic but they dont make the protagonist a fucking teenager. No one wants that shit. Not even teenagers.

Well said. I also think the gameplay looks pretty cool, but hopefully they tone this stuff way down or I may just find myself turning the dialogue volume slider down to zero.

AJUMP23

They are a poster on gaf
Then they make a post about a major issue
Posters making jokes on every page
But no one ever reacts
To them did the post even exist.

Crayon

Doesn't look particularity bad or good, but uhh, is there some red flags other than it's probably very bad writing and story? Like was it in dev hell or something for awhile? I havent really been following.

I don't think it's showed very well so far. The fighting gameplay looked messy. The traversal didn't looked worse as there was not much features to the landscape and showing off the movement ended up looking like someone spamming the jump and dash buttons to cover ground. The showings have improved as they've gone on, but it's never looked great.

SnapShot

Does it even matter at this point? free publicity and points for the marketting team for a few lines that probably don't represent the whole thing anyways.

sachos

Oh man, i though you guys were joking but yeah that dialogue was kinda bad. I still think the gameplay looks pretty cool and am still interested in the game, there are dozens of us!

Let me get this straight. My wife and baby were FREAKING murdered and now I survive on pain killers like theyre candy? I have these two Berettas and now every time I jump I go super low mo like John Woo or something. Well my family's killers left me no choice. It's time to bring the PAYNE to the MAX. Max Payne, that is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom