• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Top 50 Nintendo titles of all Time

b3b0p

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Earthbound
5. Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past
6. Super Mario 64
7. Pilotwings 64
8. Super Mario RPG
9. Super Metroid
10. Blast Corps

1. Super Mario World
2. Fire Emblem
3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
4. Pokemon Gold/Silver
5. Metroid: Zero Mission
6. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
7. Wario Ware Twisted
8. Super Mario Galaxy
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Metroid
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
4. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
5. Star Fox 64
6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Earthbound
9. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
10. Super Mario 64

Honorable Mentions: F-Zero, F-Zero GX, Donkey Kong Country Returns

I'd put commentary, but I think I'd end up repeating myself a lot. Lots of "classic gameplay" and "amazing when I was a kid." All the NES/SNES/N64 games still hold up nowadays and are still sublime to play through. It was hard not including either F-Zero on my list, but after watching Siglemic's SM64 world record playthroughs I couldn't leave it out of the top 10. It just showed how deep and how amazing the game really is.

1. Super Metroid ; By far my favorite game of all time. Nothing to be said by me that hasn't been said better by so many other people.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past ; I didn't own this game for the longest time, but every time I went over to my cousins house I'd start a new game and play it until I had to go home. I must have played the intro to this game 100 times, which was fine by me because the intro is the finest ever made. The atmosphere and the sense of adventure are there from the second the game starts. Unbelievable game.
3. Metroid Prime ; More than I ever expected it to be. Nearly a perfect game, and one of the most beautiful game worlds of all time.
4. Super Mario World ; Best 2D platformer ever made.
5. Super Mario Bros. 3; Pretty close to the best 2D platformer ever made
6. Dr. Mario ; The reason my NES stayed hooked up through the SNES, N64 and GC years, and why it came with me to college. Probably my most played game in the dorms. 2 player puzzle goodness
7. Super Punch Out; I felt it improved on the original in every way.
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2; Again, improved on the original which was already fantastic
9. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin ; Other than the annoying story, best Advance Wars game so far.
10. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan ; One of my first DS games and the only game I have ever imported. Fantastic music, innovative gameplay, great welcome to the DS.

Pretty much an impossible list to make, the only ones that I am sure about are the top 3. After that I could have about 30 games in the top 10, but I tried to find a good variety of games and choose those that made the most impact on me. Will be interesting to see the results!

Speevy

Banned
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Metroid
3. Pikmin 2
4. Animal Crossing
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Super Mario 64
7. Wave Race 64
8. Super Mario Brothers 3
9. Super Punch Out
10. F-Zero

Tofa7

Banned
1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Metroid Prime
5. Super Metroid
6. Super Mario 64
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Super Smash Bros Melee
9. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
10. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Really wanted to put some Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Paper Mario on the list, but I really can't bring myself to cut out any of the 3D Zelda's.

01DragonFly

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  5. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  6. Super Mario Bros 3
  7. Super Mario 64
  8. Metroid Prime collection ( 1,2 and 3 deserve the same love)
  9. pokemon gold/silver
  10. Nintendo World Cup (Best music Ever)

Tab0203

... but after watching Siglemic's SM64 world record playthroughs I couldn't leave it out of the top 10. It just showed how deep and how amazing the game really is.
The fact that this was their first attempt at 3D platforming is mind-boggling.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Pilotwings 64
4. GoldenEye 007
5. Wii Sports Resort
6. Metroid Prime
7. Wave Race 64
8. Super Mario 64
9. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
10. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Jasconius

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack)
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Star Tropics
6. Mario Party 4
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Elite Beat Agents
9. Fortune Street
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

PKrockin

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 ; Wonderful art style, soundtrack, powerups, and most importantly the best level design the series has seen. As far as I'm concerned it's the best platformer in existence.
2. EarthBound ; EarthBound kept me glued to the screen with its fantastic writing, top-notch translation, and adventurous, lighthearted story. Exploring Moonside for the first time, getting ripped off by the seaside real estate salesman, fighting a giant killer circus tent... it's an unforgettable game. The soundtrack is also extremely diverse and memorable.
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; Took the solid foundation of Smash 64 and expanded it in every way. The result was a great pick-up-and-play party game as well as a great competitive fighter.
4. Zelda II - Adventure of Link ; "Challenging but fair" is a good way to describe Zelda II. Combat is tough, but the controls are tight and you have magic to fall back on. Dungeons are large and full of dangerous enemies, but never too maze-like and they always provide a few ways to refill your life and magic. You must explore to advance the game and find hidden items, but there are always hints to their location. I can pick this game up and run through it anytime.
5. Pokemon Gold/Silver ; GameFreak nearly perfected Pokemon on their first try, but they really went far above and beyond what they had to do for a sequel. A day/night cycle. Breeding. Held items. Battling Trainers multiple times. REVISITING KANTO AND CHALLENGING ALL THE TRAINERS THERE! That this could fit on a GBC cart blew my mind. Pokemon became more than a really awesome game, it became an obsession for months and months.
6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ; Now, this game gets bashed a lot for sailing and the quality of its dungeons, and there's some truth to what they say. But the art style, soundtrack, and characters are pretty much the best in the series. It has the best portrayal of Ganondorf and probably Link in the series. And that ending... wow.
7. Super Mario 64 ; One reason in particular this game made my list while the later games didn't: controls. Mario is incredibly fast and acrobatic, every jump is useful, and controlling Mario is the most fun it has ever been in any of his 3D games.
8. Paper Mario ; What I said about EarthBound's writing, story, etc. all applies here. Battles are made interesting with the Action Command, and the game is simply full of clever moments that make players of all ages smile and laugh.
9. Fire Emblem (7 in Japan) ; Simply a great strategy/RPG hybrid. The way the characters level up, interact with the story, have conversations with each other, and potentially die permanently really gets you attached to the characters adds real tension when characters are close to death. It's very accessible to newcomers and yet offers a lot of potential for veterans looking for a challenge.
10. Super Metroid ; Even though the series isn't my cup of tea, I couldn't think of a single flaw when I played this game. Incredible visuals, music, atmosphere, controls, intro, even potential for speedrunning.

Man, there are so many games I'm forced to leave out... Majora's Mask, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Tennis 64, Mother 3, Super Mario World, Kirby Super Star, WarioWare: Twisted!, Pokemon Red/Blue, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Sage, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Tetris, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and so on. I probably have 30-40 games that could go in a top 10.

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Super Smash Brothers Melee
5. Super Mario Brothers 3
6. Super Mario Brothers
7. The Legend of Zelda
8. Zelda II: Adventure of Link
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Super Metroid

Disclaimer - I never owned an SNES (poor college student at the time and already had Genesis) and I didn't get an N64 until a couple years after Gamecube.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
5. Mario Kart Double Dash
6. Wii Sports
7. Pikmin 2
8. Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
9. Super Mario Sunshine
10. Metroid Prime

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
1. Wrecking Crew - what can I say about this game that hasn't been said already? Legendary theme song by Hip Tanaka, and unique puzzle gameplay that has never been replicated... plus, one of the first games with a built in "level editor". Spectacular game.

2. Super Mario World - easily my favorite Mario game ever... the amount of secrets, large and interesting levels, great aesthetics and music, and some of the tightest control in gaming history.

3. Zelda: Link to the Past - my top Zelda game, this game brought in so many series staples that are still in use some 20 years later. 2 huge worlds to explore, with unbelievable level design and tight controls that Nintendo is famous for.

4. Super Metroid - game is reeking with atmosphere, beautiful music and excels with what Nintendo does best... a natural gameplay progression, huge world to explore, secrets everywhere you turn.

5. Super Mario Bros 3 - Kuribo's Shoe, nuff said. While I didn't like the shortness of the levels compared to the other Mario games, it's truly the NES's magnum opus. The different suits and powerups, the variety of level design, the secrets (shit, it sounds like I'm repeating myself for all these descriptions, but that's what classic Nintendo does best)... fuck. I begged my parents to take me to see the Wizard just so I can see the EXCLUSIVE REVEAL of this game, the hype was off the charts.

6. Yoshi's Island - some of the most intricate and detailed level design ever conceived of in a 2D platformer, coupled with really unique art direction and technical trickery far above most SNES titles (thanks Super FX2)

7. Super Smash Bros Melee - probably the most fun multiplayer game I've ever played. Spent hours upon hours in college when I should have been studying... great look back at Nintendo's past and a massive refinement over the original. Still has a much better "feel" and better lineup of stages than Brawl.

8. Mother 3 - brilliant and heartfelt RPG that does everything right... amazing storyline and classic turn-based gameplay. The newest game on the list but it's got that timeless quality found in all the best 16 bit RPGs.

9. Zelda: Link's Awakening - proved that the Game Boy could do epic adventures with console-like scope. Brought a heapload of character and quirkiness to the Zelda series, along with some great large-scope puzzles (who could forget the tower dungeon, where you have to
break down the pillars to get the tower to collapse on itself to advance?
) Very influential in terms of how the series progressed.

10. Balloon Fight - take the arcade classic Joust, cuten it up, and greatly improve the controls and you have this fun and addicting early NES title.

X. Clu Clu Land - game really deserves more love... a unique momentum-based "maze game", it's a product of an earlier time, sandwiched between the Atari/classic arcade and the NES eras.

Others: New Super Mario Bros Wii, Sin and Punishment 1 and 2, Earthbound, Zelda 1, Metroid 1, StarTropics, Mario Kart DS, MOLE MANIA, DK '94

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Wario Land II
3. The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
6. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. The Legend of Zelda
10. Dr. Mario

diffusionx

Gold Member
01. Yoshi's Island
02. Super Metroid
03. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
04. Super Mario Bros. 3
05. Super Mario 64
06. Donkey Kong '95
07. Advance Wars
08. Donkey Kong Country Returns
09. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
10. Wario Ware

edit: funny, after looking at it, I realize only one 3D game is on it (well, one + one 2D game with polygons). Old-school.

JaseMath

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Metroid Prime
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Super Metroid
6. Super Mario 64
7. Super Mario World
8. Starfox 64
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
10. F-Zero GX

Hard list. Still haven't played SMG2 or LoZ:SS... :(

TheNatural

My Member!
I'll try this, it's difficult to put them in order though. This is what I'll go with though:

1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2) Super Mario Bros 3
3) Super Mario World
4) Super Mario RPG
5) Super Mario 64
6) Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
7) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
8) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
9) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
10) Luigi's Manson

I made 10 my wildcard, but everything else were all Mario and Zelda games for me.

Oh my, this is going to be difficult. And very Mario/Zelda-heavy.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
9. Banjo-Kazooie
10. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Honorable metions: Wii Sports Resort, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime, Super Mario World, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pikmin 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I feel kind of bad having 9/10 be Zelda or Mario but those are the games that resonated the most with me throughout the years. You will also notice my list is weighted more towards the 3D consoles as well. I just prefer those games to their 2D counterparts for the most part.

aechris

2. Earthbound
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
5. Super Mario World
6. Super Smash Bros. Melee
7. Fire Emblem (7 in Japan)
8. Animal Crossing: Wild World
9. Super Mario All-Stars
10. Super Mario 64

Pretty impossible to choose and rank 10.

Piano

Banned
Since these games span such a large period of time I ranked by how much fun I had with the game at the point I played it rather than what I think is the more significant or better designed game. I.e. I prefer playing Brawl to Melee these days...but Melee blew my mind way more back when I played it for the first time.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2: Simply put, the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. The level design is completely sublime, the creativity overwhelming, the visuals gorgeous and the gameplay refined to near perfection. The best 3D Mario game, possibly the best 3D game of all time.
2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: A pure joy to play. Yoshi's Island was a game I didn't 'get' until I got past the first world. The gameplay mechanics are solid but seemed unremarkable until the brilliant level design milked every ounce of potential out of them. The best 2D Mario game, possible the best 2D game of all time. Also has one of the best visual styles ever.
3. Super Mario World: In my opinion, the best 'traditional' Mario game. While Super Mario Bros. 3 is the more creative game Super Mario World represents the ultimate refinement of all of the mechanics SMB3 brought to the table. It's a rock solid experience from beginning to end.
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee: The first game I got for my Gamecube. The only game I had for my Gamecube for months. I didn't mind at all. Such an amazing generational leap over the first Super Smash Bros.
5. Super Punch-Out!!: I didn't get into this game until High School when my cousins gifted me their old SNES and trove of games. It's oozing with charm and the gameplay is pure bliss. Only gripe - wish it was a bit more difficult. I was hugely disappointed when Nintendo's Punch-Out!! revival pretty much ignored SPO and its gameplay improvements :(
6. Super Mario Bros. 3: Great game. More creative than Super Mario World, but a bit more uneven.
7. Super Mario Galaxy: A great evolution of the SM64 formula. Sunshine was good but felt more like a sideways step than a clear forward progression.
8. Super Mario 64: Parts of it are archaic by today's standards and some of the stars are less fun or more cryptic than others but its still a fantastic game. It's held up 10000x better than every other early 3D game.
9. The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker: a beautiful artstyle paired with a wonderfully designed world that was a joy to explore. I am one of the few that didn't mind sailing everywhere in Wind Waker - everytime I got out on the open ocean and the music kicked in I felt like I was on a grand adventure.
10. Animal Crossing: Hooked me for a few months in a way few other games have. I have no idea why on earth this game is any fun at all, or why it even places on my list. I wasn't even going to include it until I saw it on other lists, thought about it, and realized hey, I actually had a great fucking time with this game. Haven't played any of them since the original since they all seem like more of the same.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Metroid: Zero Mission: As per above, I know Super Metroid is a 'better' game but I had the most fun playing Zero Mission for whatever reason. It was far too short but was such a tightly designed game that I didn't really mind.
x. Drill Dozer: Dammit I wish Nintendo would let GameFreak stray from Pokemon more often. Highly creative platformer.
x. F-Zero GX: Amazingly difficult. I'm awful at F Zero GX but I still love playing it. That's a testament to how fun it is. It really could afford to be a bit less brutal though.
x. Advance Wars DS: I didn't even realize how much I enjoyed this game until I glanced at the gameclock and it was nearing 100 hours. Dual Powers are completely broken but this game just has SO MUCH CONTENT that it's hard to get tired of it.
x. Mario Kart: Double Dash: Best Mario Kart by far. LOVE the co-op mechanics which are unlike any other game.

iirate

I'll keep this short and sweet since this is a voting thread and I don't expect much interesting discussion anyways.

1. Earthbound ; my favorite game of all time
2. Super Metroid ; the closest thing to a perfect game ever released
3. Pokemon Blue ; despite their improvements, this game is still just as fun as any other Pokemon game
4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes ; Retro unleashed
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; one of the greatest multiplayer experiences of all time
6. Advance Wars: Dual Strike ; the gameplay may be a step below some of the others in the series, but the sheer amount of content makes it my clear favorite
7. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (Japan Only) ; my favorite rhythm game of all time
8. Metroid Prime ; the greatest 3D re-imagining of a 2D franchise ever and one of the most beautiful 3D games ever
9. F-Zero GX ; pure racing (was really hard to pick between this, Mario Kart DS, and Super Mario Kart)
10. Meteos ; my favorite puzzle game (another really hard pick, this time between this, Picross 3D, and Pokemon Puzzle League (AKA Panel De Pon))

BTW, I know it has already been stated, but this is a sickening excercise. I could easily make a top 20 list that is filled with masterpieces. Many of the more interesting games Nintendo has made just barely missed my top 10 as well, which is very sad.

jbueno

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2.
2. Super Metroid.
3. Mother 3.
4. Zelda: Majora´s Mask.
5. Super Mario 64.
6. Yoshi's Island.
7. StarFox 64.
8. Waverace 64.
9. Super Punch-Out!!
10. WarioWare: Twisted!

NEO0MJ

1. Earthbound
2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
3. Super Metroid
4. F-Zero GX
5. Star Fox 64
6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Kirby Super Star
9. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
10. Pokemon Silver

-KRS-

Uh, my head hurts just thinking about it. I think I'll have to think about this for a while before I can pick my top 10. Lucky the deadline is feb 3rd.

Rafaelcsa

1. Super Metroid
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Metroid Prime
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Kirby`s Adventure
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Runner-ups: Metroid Fusion / Zero Mission / Prime 2, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Star Fox 64, Super Mario World, Twilight Princess / Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros. Melee, WarioWare: Twisted / Inc, Wario Land: Shake It, Kirby Super Star, Paper Mario, Donkey Kong Country... Too many great games :)

1. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
2. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 64
7. Metroid Prime
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
9. StarFox 64
10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

So many amazing games left off the list.

AlexSmash

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask
3. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Super Mario 64
7. Metroid Prime
8. F - Zero GX
9. Super Mario World
10. Links Awakening

Interesting how i think that Nintendo has been superb for 25 years now and that every generation has its own great games.
Wii = Best Mario Games by Nintendo
GC = Best competetive Games by Nintendo
N64 = Best Zelda Games by Nintendo

1. Waverace 64
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Mario World
5. Mariokart 64
6. Star Fox 64
7. Super Mario Bros 3
8. F-Zero 64
9. Mario Galaxy 2
10. Zelda: Wind Waker

Still trying to make my list but it is nearly impossible to narrow it down. Whatever 10 games i pick i could probably easily find another 10-20 on the same level.

when you try and do this it reminds you just how many incredible games nintendo gave made.

iirate

Still trying to make my list but it is nearly impossible to narrow it down. Whatever 10 games i pick i could probably easily find another 10-20 on the same level.

when you try and do this it reminds you just how many incredible games nintendo gave made.

Yeah, seriously. There are games that I've always casually assumed were on my top 10 games list that didn't even make my top 10 Nintendo list! Greatest game developer of all time, no contest.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll write up bits later for each

1. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
2. Super Metroid
3. Pokemon Blue
4. Metroid Prime
5. Perfect Dark
6. Kirby: Canvas Curse
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
9. Star Fox 64
10. Metroid Fusion

WhyMe6

Hooray for Nintendo games being eternally awesome! My Top 10 ~

1. Earthbound (SNES) [Import - USA Only]
2. Super Metroid (SNES)
3. Animal Crossing (GCN)
4. Yoshi's Island (SNES)
5. Perfect Dark (N64)
6. Rhythm Tengoku (GBA) [Import - Japan Only]
7. Pokémon Gold/Silver (GBC)
8. Metroid Prime (GCN)
9. Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
10. F-Zero GX (GCN)

EDITED: According to the rules, I must state (1) if a game was an import and (2) what country I'm from. I'm from Australia.

No room for Majora's Mask :(

Also, to anyone with a list featuring EarthBound and not Mother 3: You owe it to yourself to play Mother 3. Just drop whatever you're playing and do it.

Yes sir! Rather than continue my "perfect" Mass Effect 2 playthrough in preparation for ME3, I racked up another four hours on my Mother 3 save. Up to Chapter 7 now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but it's not in my Top 10 (yet).

The thing is, I love the DS but it just doesn't really have any BEST GAME OF ALL TIME type titles that are so abundant on their other systems. What it does have is an unbelievable amount of A - AA titles.

I guess I could see how one could come to that conclusion, particularly if you didn't enjoy certain genres, but for me the DS is just as fantastic as other generations. Yes, there are a ton of "A - AA" titles, but it's also home to a lot of "classic" Nintendo games, many of which, in my opinion, remain the best in their respective series (or have been recently overtaken): Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (much better than both its sequels!), Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (best competitive Pokémon IMO), Picross DS, Picross 3D and Mario Kart DS (I've yet to pass final judgement on a comparison between this and MK7). Plus, it has Tomodachi Collection, which is basically an AA+ title ;)

Pappasman

2. Pokemon Red/Blue
3. Super Metroid
4. Super Mario 64
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Super Smash Bros. Melee
7. Metroid Prime
8. Fire Emblem 7
9. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
10. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think I'm in love. One of the games that I really regret not quite being able to fit into the top 10.

EDIT: Canvas Curse, too? Great taste.

There is still time to add it in. It needs your support! Combines both the rhythm mechanics into an interesting platformer makes it my number one. Its the sole reason why I keep around the Cube(Don't know how the Bongos would work on PC)

iirate

There is still time to add it in. It needs your support! Combines both the rhythm mechanics into an interesting platformer makes it my number one. Its the sole reason why I keep around the Cube(Don't know how the Bongos would work on PC)

I REALLY don't think I can. I went through the lists on the first page pretty methodically, and it falls in the top 15, but I can't move anything around in good conscience. Still, the game is absolutely brilliant.

backlot

1. Super Mario World ; My all time favorite sidescroller. Played the game to death as a kid.
2. Mother 3 ; I loved everything about this game and hate that NOA refused to localize it.
3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island ; The art style in this game is amazing. I also like Yoshi.
4. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 ; I really liked the characters and atmosphere of this game. The puzzles used the DS hardware in unconventional ways that not many other games had thought of at the time.
5. Earthbound ; One of the first RPG's that I really got into. The fact that it wasn't set in some generic fantasy world made it really approachable.
6. Pokemon Red/Blue ; This was my childhood.
7. Metroid Prime ; Amazing atmosphere. Retro did a great job translating Metroid gameplay into first-person.
8. Super Metroid ; The best of the traditional Metroid sidescrollers. I loved the exploration and item upgrades.
9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; I really like the art style and music in this game. The mirror shield dungeon is one of my all time favorite dungeons in all the Zelda games.
10. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga ; This game is just really fun. Controlling both brothers at once with the A and B buttons was a cool idea.

1. Pokemon Gold/Silver
2. Pokemon Puzzle League
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Pokemon Black/White
5. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
6. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
7. Super Mario Bros. 3
8. Pokemon Red/Blue
9. Super Mario World
10. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

...yeah.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Metroid
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Metroid Prime
6. Goldeneye 007
7. Wave Race 64
8. Pilotwings 64
9. Banjo-Kazooie
10. Excite Truck

Reuenthal

Banned
1. Advance Wars 2
2. Pokemon Gold/Silver
3. Paper Mario
4. Super Mario World
5. Pokemon Stadium 2
6. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
7. Star Fox 64
8. Super Smash Brothers
9. Conkers Bad Fur Day
10. Donkey Kong Country 2

Tried to mostly limit it to one game per franchise.

Ninty

1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Super Mario World
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Mario 64
8. EarthBound
9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

hatchx

Banned
I've had to put some time into figuring this out.

1) Metroid Prime
2) Super Mario Galaxy
3) Super Mario Galaxy 2
4) Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5) Metroid Prime 2
6) F-Zero GX
7) Super Mario World
8) Perfect Dark
9) Pikmin
10) Super Smash Bros. Brawl

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack)
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Star Tropics
6. Mario Party 4
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Elite Beat Agents
9. Fortune Street
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

You have good taste.

Shepard

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
2. Pokémon Gold/Silver
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Pokemon Blue/Red
5. Fire Emblem 7
6. Super Metroid
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Metroid Prime
9. Metroid: Zero Mission
10. Super Mario World

Amazing developers, pretty hard to choose.

onilink88

Just jotted down whatever thoughts that came to mind (if any) below regarding the games in my list. Forgive me if they seem jumbled and/or incoherent.

- showed me things I never knew I wanted in Zelda
- loved the dark and twisted overall tone of the game
- loved playing the errand boy in a town of full quirky and unforgettable characters with their little or big problems
- one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played
- the absolute genius in dungeon design that is Stone Tower Temple remains untouched to this day in my opinion
- rich and rewarding sidequests
- features Goht, one of two of the most fun bosses in the series
- best ensemble of mini-games in the series
- best overworld of the 3D games
- bonus (silly and totally not serious): mad props to Link for liking huge milk jugs

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
- 3D platforming perfection plain and simple.

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 2D Zelda at its best

4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- right behind MM in terms of brilliant dungeon design
- character designs for Link, Zelda and
Ganon
are the best in the series in my opinion
- excellent and stylized art style and direction
- absolutely fell in love with the creepy and surreal nature of the Twilight Realm
- Midna remains the best helper character of the series (very, very close is Zelda from Spirit tracks, though) as well as one of my favorite characters overall
- interesting utilitarian relationships reflected on both the good and bad guys side of things
- love the contrast between WW Ganon and TP Ganon: WW gave me Ganon the Man, while TP gave me Ganon the Beast (who is my current favorite)
- best and most refined non-motion control combat mechanics of the series
- awesome and vicious wolf combat (shame the wolf form was relegated to mostly collecting Tears of Light, also, would have been even better if it had more of a presence in puzzle solving)
- flawless implementation of horseback combat
- bosses were an absolute delight to fight (despite being on the easy side)
- Stallord is tied with Goht for the most fun boss battle of the series
- favorite overworld theme (of any game)
- just so much to love about this game
- bonus (silly and totally not serious): techniques weren't the only thing to be passed down through generations of Links- I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that TP Link couldn't keep his eyes off of Telma's rack; it seems the love of huge milk jugs was passed down as well

5. Super Mario Bros
- brilliant level design and variety shine through even to this day. I don't think there's been any 2D platformer that I've enjoyed as much as I have this one

6. Metroid
- my favorite in the series
- game was very ahead of its time
- most notable thing about it, in my opinion, was the amazing sense of claustrophobia it instilled upon the player

7. Super Mario Galaxy

8. Metroid Prime
- masterfully brought Samus into the the realm of 3D.

9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- would be wrong not to include it in this list for the mindless amounts fun and content its provided
- really, it's the ultimate Nintendo fanservice game; just so many iconic characters, music, stages and different ways to beat the crap out of each other

10. Xenoblade
- epic and original premise for JRPG
- lovable cast
- engaging and polished real-time combat mechanics
- gargantuan and varied locales
- powerful siren song of exploration
- lush flora and fauna
- extremely well-composed sountrack
- I regard it as an instant classic

Honorable mentions:
Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, Fire Emblem 7, Sin and Punishment and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor

Was an incredibly difficult list to come up with.

Top Bottom