• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Dawg

gotheadervhc6r.png

Use the spoiler tag button in this thread for story revelations please!

Based on HBO’s award-winning television drama, Game of Thrones – A Telltale Games Series tells the story of House Forrester, a noble house from the north of Westeros. Caught up in the events of The War of the Five Kings, they are placed in a precarious position where members of the household must do everything they can to prevent the house from meeting its doom.

overview0sinv.png

Platforms: Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, iOS, Android
Price: $ 29.99 / £ 23.99 / € 27.99
What you get:

Episode 1: Iron From Ice (December 2, NA PS3: December 9, EU PS3: December 10)
Episode 2: The Lost Lords (TBA)
Episode 3: The Sword in the Darkness (TBA)
Episode 4: Sons of Winter (TBA)
Episode 5: A Nest of Vipers (TBA)
Episode 6: The Ice Dragon (TBA)

System Requirements:

PC Minimum System Requirements

• Processor: Core 2 Duo 2GHz or equivalent
  • Memory: 3 GB RAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Space Free
  • Video Card: ATI or NVidia card w/ 512 MB RAM (Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics)
  • DirectX®: Direct X 9.0c
  • Sound: Direct X 9.0c sound device
PC Recommended System Requirements

• Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.3 Ghz or equivalent
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Video Card: ATI or NVidia card w/ 1024 MB RAM
Mac Minimum System Requirements

• Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Space Free
  • Video Card: 512 MB Nvidia or ATI graphics card
  • Additional: Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics or Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks
huseforrester9lf5q.png

family-icon-lordf.jpg

Lord Forrester
<Lord of Ironrath>

As a youth, Gregor Forrester famously arm-wrestled Galbert Glover for the privilege of becoming the man's squire. Glover later joked that it was the luckiest defeat of his life, for Gregor was a talented warrior. After his father died at the Trident, Gregor ascended to the lordship, marrying Lady Elissa Branfield at the behest of King Robert. She bore him six healthy children; though Gregor was forced to send his second son, Asher, into exile. Gregor privately named that event his life's only true regret.

family-icon-ladyf.jpg

Lady Forrester
<Lord Forrester’s Wife>

Elissa Forrester was born to House Branfield, a minor Southron House that was all but destroyed when the Targaryen dynasty fell. In the aftermath of that defeat, Lady Elissa was married off to Lord Gregor, and she thus saw herself as a prisoner at Ironrath. But Gregor was kind to his young wife, and she quickly grew to love him. Once their children began to be born, Lady Elissa embraced her role as the Forrester matriarch, and silently swore that she'd never again see her family destroyed.

family-icon-rodrik.jpg

Rodrik Forrester
<Lord Forrester’s First Born Son>

Lord Forrester's eldest son, Rodrik was trained from an early age to shoulder the burdens of leadership. In many ways, he seems built for the role: strong, charismatic, and formidable on the battlefield. When Robb Stark called his banners to war, Lord Forrester asked Rodrik to stay behind and protect Ironrath; but Rodrik would have none of it. Instead, he rode off side-by-side with his father, and led the Forrester cavalry with such valor that his name came to be feared amongst the ranks of the Lannister soldiers.

family-icon-asher.jpg

Asher Forrester
<Exiled Son of Lord Forrester>

Asher had always been a rebellious youth - brawling in taverns, sleeping with whores, and finding ways to raise his father's ire. But his life took a dark turn when, at seventeen, he fell in love with Gwynn Whitehill, the eldest daughter of his father's most bitter rival. Bloodshed ensued, and Lord Forrester faced a grim choice: go to war, or exile Asher across the Narrow Sea. He chose the latter. Asher remains in Essos to this day, living as a sellsword, harboring dreams of someday returning home.

family-icon-mira.jpg

Mira Forrester
<Lord Forrester’s Eldest Daughter>

Mira had always been fond of Ironrath, but Lady Forrester - wanting her eldest daughter to learn the ways of a Southron court - arranged for her to serve as a handmaiden to Margaery Tyrell. To her great surprise, Mira enjoyed attending on Margaery at Highgarden, and followed her to King's Landing with enthusiasm. But life in the capital has not been easy for Mira. Her straightforward Northern ways are at odds with the subtleties of court life, and she often finds herself dreaming of simpler days.

family-icon-ethan.jpg

Ethan Forrester
<Lord Forrester’s Third-Born Son>

Whereas his older brothers were natural warriors, Ethan always found himself drawn to pursuits of the mind, particularly music and books. He also bears a great love for the towering trees of Ironrath - a love he shares with his twin sister, Talia. Ethan was still a boy when House Forrester joined the War of the Five Kings; but by war's end he had been thrust into manhood. On cool autumn evenings, Ethan can still be heard playing his lute in the ironwood grove.

family-icon-talia.jpg

Talia Forrester
<Lord Forrester’s Youngest Daughter>

During her fourth pregnancy, Lady Forrester dreamed that she would birth a daughter with a voice like the summer rain. To her surprise, she gave birth to a boy. The infant, Ethan, wailed for hours - until Lady Forrester suddenly entered a second labor, this time birthing a girl. She named the girl Talia, after her own mother - and from then on, Ethan hardly ever cried. The dream came true also, for anyone at Ironrath will agree that there's no sound lovelier than that of Talia singing as her brother plays the lute.

family-icon-ryon.jpg

Ryon Forrester
<Lord Forrester’s Fourth-Born Son>

The last of the Forrester children, Ryon grew up idolizing his older siblings, and spent many a playful hour chasing Ethan and Talia through the grove. His youth has been a happy one, largely shielded from expectation or responsibility - but recently, his innocence has begun to fade. When the war began, Ryon was too young to understand what it all meant. But the grim realities of life in a House at war has been impossible to avoid, and Ryon now asks questions for which his siblings have no easy answers.

family-icon-gared.jpg

Gared Tuttle
<Squire to Lord Forrester>

Gared was raised on stories of heroism about the likes of Arthur Dayne and Barristan the Bold. Though the son of a pig farmer, he has always aspired to one day become a warrior himself. With the help of his uncle Duncan, who had risen from lowborn origins to become Castellan of Ironrath, Gared found work in Lord Forrester's stables, rising through the ranks to eventually be named his squire. Gared has served Lord Forrester throughout the long months in King Robb's army, and is ready to be a warrior in his own right.

family-icon-duncan.jpg

Duncan Tuttle
<Castellan of Ironrath>

As a boy, Duncan showed such talent for managing his family's farm that everyone assumed he'd inherit it. But Duncan was fated to run more than a few fields and a pig pen. One day, while supplicating at Ironrath, he struck up an unlikely friendship with Gregor Forrester, the heir to the House. The two grew close, sharing food, drink, and women; and when Gregor became lord, he named Duncan his Castellan. Eyebrows were raised, but Duncan proved himself worthy, and has served in good faith ever since.

family-icon-maester.jpg

Maester ortengryn
<Maester to House Forrester>

Originating from a minor house in the Vale, Ortengryn studied at the Citadel in the hope of becoming Maester to House Arryn. However, by the time he earned the final link in his Maester's chain, Jon Arryn had been murdered and the South was in turmoil. So the Citadel assigned Ortengryn to House Forrester, and though lesser known, Ortengryn came to respect the Forresters' honor and integrity. He now serves at Ironrath with pride, offering a voice of calm and reason as a member of the small council.

family-icon-malcolm.jpg

Malcolm Branfield
<Lady Forrester’s Brother>

As a young man, Malcolm was the black sheep of the Branfield family. He liked to roam the countryside in the style of a hedge knight, refusing his father's offers of marriage or lands. Malcolm fought bravely alongside his brothers on the day House Branfield fell; yet he and his sister were the only two survivors. Malcolm now lives with Lady Elissa's new family at Ironrath - though he still tends to disappear for many weeks at a stretch. Malcolm has fathered no children, and is thus the last of the Branfield line.

family-icon-royland.jpg

Royland Degore
<Ironrath’s Master-at-Arms>

Royland Degore became a soldier in the Forrester army after his family was raped and murdered by Ironborn during Balon Greyjoy's rebellion. As the story goes, Degore led a nighttime raid on Sea Dragon Point, where he cut the moorings of a dozen Greyjoy longships and burned the drifting ships to ash - along with all the Ironborn on board. Degore was given charge of a battalion, and eventually rose to be Ironrath's Master-at-Arms. He's known for his natural military expertise, and his legendary temper.

mediaykdb5.png

Official FAQ
Spoiler thread
Steam page
Metacritic (74)

kinggroin

Banned
My impressions:

OK, last time I get a telltale game on console.

Game looks like I'm in an oven (wavy transparency effect making things look like an N64 game) and it runs with the worst judder and frame rate inconsistencies I've ever seen.

I'll get it on PC during a holiday steam sale and eat the $5

andreyblade

Neo Member
My impressions:

Game looks like I'm in an oven (wavy transparency effect making things look like an N64 game) and it runs with the worst judder and frame rate inconsistencies I've ever seen.

It's no better on PC. They tried to go for the watercolor look, a la Child of Light but it really doesn't work here. It's baffling though, as Tales from the Borderlands look really good

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still don't understand what kind of game it is despite reading some reviews and description. Is it an action game? Is it a RPG? FPS? What's the main scope of it? Follow the story? Can you influence dramatically the story? Is the story the same as for the TV series? Is the game liniar?

Tak3n

Banned
I still don't understand what kind of game it is despite reading some reviews and description. Is it an action game? Is it a RPG? FPS? What's the main scope of it? Follow the story? Can you influence dramatically the story? Is the story the same as for the TV series? Is the game liniar?

finished episode 1, almost exactly the same as TWD, except it is very linear, almost zero free walking

now on my second run through with different decisions, to see if it affects it

Vlodril

My impressions:

yea its like that on the pc too. really distracting.

xMuku

Its basically a point and click adventure. The ending will always end up the same but the way you get there and the different scenes you get depends on your choices. Graphics don't reflect the ability of the console which I think mostly attributes to the fact they have it for iOS and every other console. I liked it just for the world its in but its not an amazing game by any means.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
finished episode 1, almost exactly the same as TWD, except it is very linear, almost zero free walking

now on my second run through with different decisions, to see if it affects it

Its basically a point and click adventure. The ending will always end up the same but the way you get there and the different scenes you get depends on your choices. Graphics don't reflect the ability of the console which I think mostly attributes to the fact they have it for iOS and every other console. I liked it just for the world its in but its not an amazing game by any means.

Ok, thanks! Now there's a little bit more light on it. As graphically doesn't look that great I'm thinking now if I should buy it for PC or rather for Android to play it on the way to and from work. And if I should wait for a sale.

Just finished the first episode. I thought it was excellent.

Same here, actually. But I am a fan of the books and the series, so I might be a bit biased. The writing - so far - has been surprisingly good, and it is a believable entry into the GoT -universe. Sure, visually it is nothing to write home about, but I wasn't expecting a graphical beast to begin with.

Tak3n

Banned
Ok, thanks! Now there's a little bit more light on it. As graphically doesn't look that great I'm thinking now if I should buy it for PC or rather for Android to play it on the way to and from work. And if I should wait for a sale.
is very short, 2 hours max

Madness

Can't wait. Seems like it's based more on the show than the books? Going to wait to see how the next few episodes are reviewed before deciding to purchase.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
From what I played on PC last night, it has no frame rate/judder issues. I'm on a 780, 4790k.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Good. The judder was what bothered me most on the bone. Is borderlands the same way?

Don't have borderlands yet.

That's good to know. I have a 4790 and a 780 too. How does it look generally? Did you run it downsampled?

It looks slightly clearer than the muddy mess that I've seen pics of the XB1. The AA leaves much to be desired though. Still plenty of jaggies. I didn't get to play more than a half hour or so, so I didn't even bother with downsampling yet. Which will probably help.

Good. The judder was what bothered me most on the bone. Is borderlands the same way?

Yeah I agree on the xbox one version, very juddery at the beginning, sorted itself out after a while either that or I got used to it

Not really a game though, more of a animated episode with odd button press here and there

Bryko

Interesting coming at this as a Telltale fan with only cursory knowledge of Game of Thrones. I'll have to see where it goes as there's a lot of setup that hasn't really paid off yet.

I was really disappointed that
they cut off the Ethan thread so soon. That was by far the most interesting segment for me; Mira's sections just seemed like fanservice for fans of the show, and Gared's sections were decent but lacking in interesting choices.

And yeah, it's super ugly -- a big letdown after Wolf Among Us looked so good.

SURGEdude

I can confirm the iOS version for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch is live in the Appstore as of an hour or so ago.

Edit:
There seems to be so slight delay in the US store, but expect it soon.

Really enjoyed the first episode. TellTale has upped their game. I was generally invested in the characters and struggled with what choice to make. In TWD every decision I made felt right and I didn't second guess myself. But here I take pause as I want the situations to work out for the best.

But this is still a TellTale game and they've done a masterful job of presenting the illusion of choice.

Ending spoiler:
There is no way to save Ethan, the brave, is there?

Acosta

Really enjoyed the first episode. TellTale has upped their game. I was generally invested in the characters and struggled with what choice to make. In TWD every decision I made felt right and I didn't second guess myself. But here I take pause as I want the situations to work out for the best.

But this is still a TellTale game and they've done a masterful job of presenting the illusion of choice.

Ending spoiler:

I'm pretty sure there is not, that was a winning punch from Telltale, my jaw literally dropped

f0lken

Is there a reason to believe this will come to PS Vita as a cross buy with PS4??? These kind of games I rather play them on the go, but I love GoT so I am thinking in buying it for XB1/PS4/PC and double dip on iOS, but if it comes to Vita then I'd go PS4

Herne

Ending spoiler:

There isn't, I went through each of the choices on subsequent playthroughs to try it... Ramsay's just that evil. I'm also annoyed at Telltale for Ramsay being able to summon his twenty soldiers into the hall whether they were left outside with the portcullis down or not. Lazy and/or sloppy.

JustinBB7

I love the first ep, 2 hours which is longer than other recent TT games luckily. Should all be at least 2 hours.

Surprised at the medium/low ratings actually. But I suppose what Telltale sees as a painting style, others see as bad graphics, and it does look bad at some times. Should have just stepped away from that.

Is there any way to please
Cersei when meeting her?
There were like one or two options where the person was pleased, but I felt that the person didn't approve of anything else, is it supposed to be like that?

TripOpt55

I finished it. Ending and preview has me fairly excited to play more. Story was pretty interesting. I really don't like these sort of games. I prefer something with more interaction and I'm terrible at making decisions on the spot, but liking the books/show enough I'll definitely check the rest out.

BokehKing

Banned
I keep reloading my save because I'm not sure what to tell duncan

You can only choose 'told no one' about the Grove or the maester/wife... You can select that both inquired... I feel like he should know about one of them, I don't trust the wife, whitehill almost feared her on site... Why? The maester is 'loyal to whatever family he is told to be loyal to' in his words. I selected the Maester finally because pycelle is untrustworthy as all hell in the books, but I maybe over analyzing..

Solidsoul

Banned
I played earlier today and then went to bed, now i am here trying to resume playing and finish up the episode but i cannot get past "Connecting to server..." It doesn't work online or offline, it's just stuck there forever playing the damn menu music.

Is this a known bug? Do you have to be online connected to servers to play?

EDIT: Took doing a cold boot to fix it, go figure.

bonercop

Early reviews make it sound like this is basically GoT starring the dollar-store version of the starks with awkwardly placed tie-ins to the show. This is the worst way they could have approached this game. I'm going to wait for more impressions on this one

lt519

Jumping in tonight, bought the season pass on ps4, assuming most the first episode is set up for the rest.

BokehKing

Banned
Early reviews make it sound like this is basically GoT starring the dollar-store version of the starks with awkwardly placed tie-ins to the show. This is the worst way they could have approached this game. I'm going to wait for more impressions on this one
I felt like it was an extension of the story, screw reviews, $5 and we'll worth it

sappyday

Loved the first episode. The performance of the game is the only thing bringing it down.

If you like Game of Thrones then you'll like this. If you like Telltale games and Game of Thrones then this will be very enjoyable.

im still undecided whether or not to buy the season pass.. The wait in between episode in twd s2 is so darn long that i forgot the shit i did in the prior episode. Dont want to go through that one again. Unless TT can give a good estimate when each episode is gonna come out i might keep holding out from getting the game.

lt519

Reviews couldn't be more wrong. I enjoyed this immensely as a big fan of the books and show. You definitely need to have seen the show or read the books though. Very heavy on story and dialog vs action, but the choices feel like they carry more weight than other telltale games (so far), I pretty much am going to run through it again immediately and see how the other choices go. I assume they change small bits but the outcome is the same. Interesting the preview for episode 2 had one of my choices in it, I'm wondering if it was a custom trailer or if that would have been forced.

Played half on the PS4 and half on the Vita. Looked great on the Vitas small screen but not as good on a 60in TV.

Fucking Ramsay

Based on the "next time on" this doesn't look like it'll be the case in ep2, but I really hope the show breaks free of the "Look, it's that person you know from the show!" focus and starts feeling confident in its actual protagonists.

Top Bottom