• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Taruranto

Why are you surprised?
After all the shit they did! I am not surprised most people went refused their bs proposal. I went for the ambush man and that Gwyn stabbed Asher lol. Yeah its ridiculous the amount of stabbings Asher survived.

Yeah, but they had a FUCKING ARMY. I had... 5 dudes? I'm surprised no one told Asher how shitty his "army" was. Ending the bloodshed once for all by marrying Gwyn (who genuinely loves and supports Asher) seemed the best option. She even comes back to you in the ending and swear to end this bullshit.

Marz

This game runs like absolute shit on PS3, the audio doesnt work, the framerate is probably the worst ive ever seen.

Fuck this POS company

BibiMaghoo

The season pass for this is on sale for 8 pounds on PSN. Worth a punt? I loved Wolf Among Us and I enjoy the show.

I thought so, but be aware that you don't really get a conclusion at the end like TWAU. Play it with knowing you will need to buy season 2 when it's out for the rest of the game, at least. If that isn't cool. Don't buy it.

Yeah, but they had a FUCKING ARMY. I had... 5 dudes? I'm surprised no one told Asher how shitty his "army" was. Ending the bloodshed once for all by marrying Gwyn (who genuinely loves and supports Asher) seemed the best option. She even comes back to you in the ending and swear to end this bullshit.

Haha that's cool that her character behaves differently depending on our choices. In my game she was a bitch, she stabbed me and then ran away.To be fair though at that point I wasn`t thinking rationally, I was going for revenge so I get why she did what she did in a way. No way i was going to let Rodrik`s death slide

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Watching my wife play the final chapter today. This game is so frustrating.

The storytelling is so sloppy. It's trying too hard to emulate the show and not hard enough to be a good TT game.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched her make a decision that the game pretends is important - but is transparently just a button press.

Purkake4

Banned
Watching my wife play the final chapter today. This game is so frustrating.

The storytelling is so sloppy. It's trying too hard to emulate the show and not hard enough to be a good TT game.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched her make a decision that the game pretends is important - but is transparently just a button press.
I agree, you can easily do an amazing story using the setting and the events from the series as a backdrop. Telltale just made a story inside the series pausing every three minutes to show off another familiar character who has like 2 lines of dialog and going for nonsensical shock value.

I agree, you can easily do an amazing story using the setting and the events from the series as a backdrop. Telltale just made a story inside the series pausing every three minutes to show off another familiar character who has like 2 lines of dialog and going for nonsensical shock value.

I really hope that they mostly cut out the main series characters from Season 2. They added nothing to the game, we're mostly awkward and out of place and I'm sure cost a decent amount of money that could have been better used elsewhere on the game.

Ushay

Finally picked this and Tales from the Borderlands up for about £17 together. I seem to have developed a taste for Telltale games! Wolf Among Us is still the best so far. See how these 2 go.

Yet to buy Life is Strange, heard good things about it.

Firestorm

I really hope that they mostly cut out the main series characters from Season 2. They added nothing to the game, we're mostly awkward and out of place and I'm sure cost a decent amount of money that could have been better used elsewhere on the game.
The Cersei scene in episode 1 was done really well IMO. I doubt they'll remove the characters from the show as its a big draw for people.

excowboy

Just popping in to rant about this. I finished it on 360 on Saturday. First, technical issues - seemed to be the worst episode so far - consistently out of sync audio, very long, tension breaking, load times - particularly in the beginning and ending sequences, massive freezes during any 'action' sequence
particularly during the last stand at the end - every time I hit a button prompt, I had a 15 seconds wait to see it play out, invariably missed a few frames, completely ruined the impact of that sequence, total shit

In terms of story, I was so so disappointed. Whilst the general story throughout the series hadn't been spectacular it had enough to keep my interest, before Episode 5 really paid off.
The choice between Rodrik and Asher was so good because you'd worked for ages to bring them together. It meant that it was meaningful, satisfying, horrible and totally earned by the game upto that point.

Likewise, Mira's development from handmaiden to conniving player really came together in a brilliant way.

The problem is, Episode 6 just writes all that off and invites you to get ready for Season 2. They obviously became enamoured with the idea that they were working on GoT first and a videogame second. So, the ending is quite GoT-y but that completely ignores the fact that its in the medium of videogames where satisfying resolution to your own agency is quite important.

FWIW I was happy to send Mira to the block because it made sense, but only because I'd just watched basically her entire family and house get slaughtered. Likewise, Garred - shall we go back? What for? Everone's dead!

Each story arc just gets trashed because, fuck you, Season 2.

Got around to finishing up Episode 6 today.

For all the hate this seems to get, I enjoyed it well enough for a TT game. I think you have to sort of know full well that none of your choices will actually matter and once you get that, you can enjoy the thing for what it is.

I had Mira marry Mogryn with the thinking she could just work her way out from under him eventually and maybe act like Sansa and Littlefinger from the books or something. Had Rodrick go after Ryon, mostly cause I wanted the chance to kill Gryff, which was satisfying. But I didn't really get a lot of that ambush quest to get Ryon. I was thinking that was kind of your big gambit to break the siege by basically chopping off the head of the snake, but instead even after you get back to Ironrath, I don't think I even had the chance to rub Ludd's face in it that I killed Gryff. So it kind of felt a bit predictably bleak when Ironrath got overrun, complete with Elaena getting dragged off to who knows what sort of bleak fate. Not really sure where they're going with Rodrick either since he took about half dozen arrows and was ran through the guts with a greatsword, but they're still thinking he can survive?

The whole North Grove stuff I just found boring. Gared is probably my least favorite of all the protagonists, just cause I think he had some of the weakest supporting characters around him. So I had him go off to help Ironrath since that's at least where the interesting stuff was happening in the story. Cause they're likely somewhat limited in terms of what they can reveal or show in terms of magic/lore given they're still tied to the show, so I just don't get what the big deal is with the North Grove beyond it being where the old Lord Forrester stowed away his bastards?

I generally enjoyed this season and look forward to season 2, even if I can already tell how they'll funnel most of the choices from this season down to one central point, in the process pretty much invalidating them.

GavinUK86

Finally got round to playing the finale and it felt like typical GoT. All a bit too generic really.

Poisoned and killed Whitehall and the mother. Gared stayed in the North Grove and cut out Cotter's heart. Myra saved her friend and the boy and told the snivelling dude to fuck off and lost her head

All very "Game of Thrones-y". This has been the most bored I've ever been in a Telltale game. It wasn't bad, definitely not, but it just felt too generic and obvious, like they didn't know how to swerve away from the usual mass murder people expect from the book and TV show.

EulaCapra

I'm trying to finish Episode 6 on the PS3 and it's not even playable near the end. Audio out of sync, voices appearing 50% of the time, frame rate is like a slide show, massive freezing, etc. It's been a glitchy experience the whole season through where "Previously On's" and "Next Time On's" seemed to make the console want to explode, but this takes the cake.
When Elissa tried to save Asher and got killed in the process, I should've felt something. But all the dialogue was muted to hell.

Telltale, this is you.
9qF1zKr.jpg

Sober

Probably the least polished Walking Dead era TT game I've played, and that's saying a lot. Now I kinda understand the complaints about the engine, even though there was so little wrong with something like TFTB. I'm talking more egregious stuff and not just dicey/bad animation transitions either.

There's quite a bit to like, but the bugs really cropped up more often and kicked me back out, honestly.

The watercolour painting look was a good choice but they way it interacted with the AA solution or even when it was off really bothered me when somewhat straight lines became really weird looking. I wish I knew how to explain it.

Overall - the story was good but it played way too hard into
basically being a dollar-store House Stark tale. The game kept digging into to many of the same arcs as the show, so they felt really undercooked. It's cool you get to experience it firsthand this time around, but there's really little that's interesting, especially at Ironreach.

The only interesting characters for me were
Asher and Mira. Ethan was interesting but they had to kill him off. It was actually tense playing as a child having to basically deal with adults and adult situations and that's mostly what I liked about Ethan, because you were fighting for agency in a game/world where everyone is already trying to rob it from you as an adult.

Asher was fine except the really bad animation work sometimes came up and he'd go from frown to smile in the same half second, but he was one of the few things I liked if only because he was the least like anyone else on HBO's GOT, even with the albatross which is the Essos storylines that go nowhere.

I think I found Mira equally fun to play because like Ethan you're kinda stuck in a situation where you aren't even anywhere considered a peer against whoever you're squaring off against in King's Landing, so those moments where you do get the upper hand sometimes feels cathartic but when shit starts hitting the fan, it really put me in a panic, which I think was one of the stronger characters to follow, if only because she moves pretty far away from being Sansa-like pretty quickly and doesn't try to be a Stark copycat. I didn't know she could be killed at the end though, but I wouldn't be surprised either to learn that's possible.

Gared was tolerable at Castle Black but also just runs up on the same themes as Jon Snow in the show with a bit of Bran. Kinda just went nowhere by the end and those revelations feel really pointless considering they'll never intersect with the show, so the big mythology reveal about House Forrester/The North Grove felt a bit wasted.

Rodrik I ended up sacrificing. I actually thought forcing one of Rodrik/Asher to sacrifice themselves was actually an interesting choice to make, although I sorta feel like letting Asher eat it after all that seemed like a waste versus Rodrik sacrificing himself after spending all that time with him trying to make up for his absence and his condition coming back from The Twins and being the go-to/intended Lord of Ironreach at a shit time.

Also to be honest it was dumb everytime
Ramsey showed up because that's when basically the game was going to shit on you from drastic heights and you just had to take it because anyone who's watched the show knows Ramsey couldn't be killed and he would just spit in your face and murder someone to make a point. I really just started laughing whenever he showed up cause you were literally powerless and had no agency in a meta-way.

Interested to see where season 2 goes, though considering how drastic the finale can be I'll be surprised if they don't all become incidental characters next season.

JonnyKong

I've just finished this myself. I finally got into it around about episode 3 onwards when it got into the swing of things.

So it was possible to keep
Mira
alive? I must have made some pretty bad choices ha. I don't think I'll miss her that much though.

What happens if you choose
Asher
to drink the poison instead of
your mother
. Does he die too? I don't think I could have handled so many of the brothers dying in one game. I'm glad he's somehow still alive at the end of my game, mainly cos he's pretty hot.

Moff

I bought this on the sale knowing it was a mediocre game with meaningless choices.
but still, as a ASOIAF reader I just had to bite

I ended up quite liking it, due to very low expectations, I liked the twists and some of the characters, but the more the game dragged on I got tired of everything. twists are cool but when every major choice fucks you up anyway it's no longer satisfying, it's also a shame that my favourite characters
plot, Mira, ended up being obsolte.
I still gave her a proud death, although I might alter that choice if I ever decide to pick up season 2.

I was also taken by surprise that there will be another season because I expected the season to be conclusive, so I feel very unsatisfied right now and since I didn't enjoy the game that much in the end, I doubt I will pick up season 2.

is there a summary/chart somewhere that shows choices that actually mattered? there must have been some, at least in chapter 6

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Started the game today on Xbox one and the menu still tells me that episode 6 is coming soon and there is also no sign of it in the store. I googled the link http://store.xbox.com/de-DE/Xbox-On...e-Dragon/861db5fd-f8cd-43b1-b365-6d3079009767 but also no luck. Anybody knows what's going on?

I searched for this thread to post the exact same thing. Episode 6 has vanished from the store for Xbox One and my episode menu says Coming Soon. I'm kinda bummed out because I just started Episode 2 and wanted to get all the way through this weekend.

I just finished this last night. Despite the technical mess, I enjoyed most of it - but the ending is just bullshit.
I didn't expect or want a happy ending, but this was just a combination of "meh", "fuck you" and "season 2 coming soon, pre-order now".

Mira: I liked her story, but
nothing she does matters, except the last choice. Tom and the other handmaiden don't seem to do anything useful either. The last choce means season 2 will be bullshit too, since she can't be a major character if she's dead for 3/4 of the player base. Having her sacrifice everyone to stay as a handmaiden and married could theoretically allow for payback once Margaery is queen, but we know from the books that power still rests with Cersei. Besides, all you can ever do is not betray Margaery's trust, so you're in no position to call in any major favours.

Garred: His story was the least compelling and you knew what would happen in advance. Only
Cotter and his sister
were interesting. The North Grove was a terrible dissapointment.
Nothing really happened and it was all just a tease for season 2. Given that half the player base fuck off back to Ironwrath, it doesn't seem like Season 2 will be able to do anything. I expect Garred will get ambushed by White Walkers and forced to retreat back to the grove, to prevent two wildly different story arcs.

Asher: A much more interesting character, but it gets a bit silly at the end. Like Mira,
nothing he does in Episodes 1-4 matters. Also, how many stabbings? He has someone wiggling a greatsword around in his stomach for about 30 seconds, yet somehow he lives? Surely he's a dead man walking from now on. Plus they can't keep writing two sets of Season 2 plots for Asher and his brother. I think they've backed themselves into a corner by essentially killing off the entire adult Forrester population. Talia is unlikely to provide a whirling tornado of bloody vengeance, but I think she'll be a major PoV character for Season 2. I don't see how they can do anything with the young boy Forrester except use him as a plot device

Most of the cameos were good, but they shouldn't have made Ramsay allied to the Whitehills while portraying you as Stark-loyalists. Ramsay's book-armour means there's no way to 'win' and he basically acts as a deus ex machina to railroad the plot whenever you try to do something interesting.
IMO, he should've seriously disliked Ludd for some reason. The Whitehills should've been cast as his father's bannermen (and Ludd as a potential power-rival to Ramsay himself). Ramsay's book-armour still allows him some wiggle-room since he needs to build his own power base separate from his father's patronage. An alliance with the Forresters and control of Ironwood would give him reason to support you rather than the Whitehills. That way, he'd be a more interesting madman, playing your houses against each other but with the real prospect of you 'winning' if you're prepared to say the right things to him.

Just finished Episode 3. Enjoying it a lot so far.
One small issue though, it didn't show my choices at the end, nor at the end of Ep.2.

When I go into 'My Choices' in the menu it just shows my choices from Ep. 1, and pressing left and right won't move onto the other episodes.... anyone else have this problem?

Man, episodes 1-4 really were tense, but then you hit episode 5 and it starts to dawn on you that it's still a telltale game, and not shit of what you've done matters.

Episode 6
Not that I tried because I didn't give a shit at the time, but even if you accept Gwyn's proposal your mother still tries to kill Whitehill. Come the fuck on, game, you can't be that transparent about your choices not mattering.

And Mira? Fuck. If you choose to marry Morgryn she'll probably just fall from her horse and break her neck in episode 1 of season 2. The whole of her character arc all I could think was "Fuck me what am I even trying to do here? Nothing good can come of any of this."

Just finished Episode 2 and really pleasantly surprised so far. The writing and direction is pretty on point. I'm also enjoying the little side narrative I have going for each episode so far where there's a scene at the beginning in which someone will say "We're in big trouble, but Mira will be able to help us using her connections in Kings Landing!", then towards the end when they're having to deal with everything themselves; "*sigh* I guess Mira wasn't able to help us :(".

It creates this really tangible (and hilarious) family dynamic of having this daughter down south in the big city with hotshot connections that they all think really highly of, but she's just strolling round gardens drinking wine and gossiping with Tyrells :lol

Cytezan

This game is without a doubt the worst Telltale game. They couldn't have made it any more obvious that your choices don't matter.

The story really goes nowhere and was disappointing.

If/when they make season 2, they need to really go back to letting the player have a decent choice with some actual effect. Perhaps not forcing so many book characters in the game will help in that regard...

This game is without a doubt the worst Telltale game. They couldn't have made it any more obvious that your choices don't matter.

The story really goes nowhere and was disappointing.

That's disappointing to hear. I had really low expectations going in so it was a lot better than I thought it would be for the first two episodes. The 'your choices don't actually matter' thing is definitely an issue across all Telltale titles. I'm only ever likely to play through them once so it doesn't bother me too much so long as the illusion of choice and consequence is maintained.

Phatcorns

I can understand why people didn't like the game if they didn't. But can also understand why they did like it. Ultimately, I enjoyed myself while I was playing, but I wish they would just make it more clear that choices don't matter. I'm totally fine with that, because I'm much more curious about how I choose, rather than the actual outcome. That part is way more interesting to me, so I think I just need to go into the games with the mindset that the choices don't matter.

I thoroughly hated this game. First of all its much less Game than twd and the Quicktime Events are the worst.

And that's before we get into the craptacular Story. Honestly by the end I didn't care for any single character because nothing you choose in this game matters anyway.
Everything in the North and Kings Landing felt like Babbys first GOT. Shockvalue replaces Story, and character development was virtually nonexistant.

The choices you make are more Akin to commentary rather than interactions.

El-Suave

I enjoyed the game and so did my niece, not every story arc was equally interesting but that's the same with the show. Speaking of the show without going into spoilers I would have loved it if they had name dropped house Forrester in this week's episode when somebody listed a few houses of the North.

Purkake4

Banned
I did enjoy the rest of it, but the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, maybe I didn't play close attention,
but what the hell is the North Grove exactly?
Did they ever explain it?
No idea about
The North Grove
, felt like a mcguffin.

I think most people (including me) were annoyed that almost none of your choices mattered and the game was going out of its way to just fuck you over.

Quonny

Just finished this. Man it was so good up until episode five.

Then it went to shit.

Did get the 16% ending, though, so that's something.

Pilgrimzero

Best this tonight.

I enjoyed it despite my characters constantly got thier ass kicked.

Also this game was probably the most obvious of its "illusion of choice" that Telltale games have. IE everything that happens to Mira.

My biggest gripe is things happening for drama/plot.

Apparently the Forresters have 0 guards and thier army consist of 5 people.

How the fuck do the Whitehills just walk into the main hall whenever they want? They match 20 men in.... where are all my men?

In the final battle where all my soldiers? I thought I hired a bunch of pit fighters. There was only what? 4? The grand army I hired was 4 people?

But again, I liked it. Can't wait for season 2, which not sure how that will work considering how it's all left off.

Top Bottom