• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hype! Winter is almost here

I await the new Arrested Westeros material.
tumblr_md1tkuMlMe1qk2t5co1_1280.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What do you mean? The scenes with her and Tywin last season were some of my favourites.
Her stay at Harrenhal in the books was brutal.

By this time in the books Arya has killed several people and been accomplice to a lot more.

The guard chasing Arya around the fortress and then winding up dead was dumb. No one took notice of him winding up dead after he was chasing somebody?

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Huh? He wasn't chasing her...?

Sir Amory Lorch was chasing Arya around Harrenhal because he caught her with a note about Robb's forces that he couldn't read and she couldn't use for anything. For some reason none of the Lannister soldiers gave a fuck about one of their commanders running and screaming after Tywin Lannister's new cupbearer. (and ending up dead afterwards)

Moff

Sir Amory Lorch was chasing Arya around Harrenhal because he caught her with a note about Robb's forces that he couldn't read and she couldn't use for anything. For some reason none of the Lannister soldiers gave a fuck about one of their commanders running and screaming after Tywin Lannister's new cupbearer. (and ending up dead afterwards)

huh? I am pretty sure tywin reacted on that

Eidan

I agree with everything you said. She is well like but no one thinks of her as a main character. In the book arya was not only top 3 in terms of favorite character people really looked forward to her chapters and anticipated them. In the show people enjoy watching her but if her scene doesnt show up in an episode no one will notice like if dany and tyrion took an absence. Something that would never happen in the book

Sansa's arc is far more interesting than Arya's in ACOK and ASOS.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
huh? I am pretty sure tywin reacted on that
That entire chase scene made no sense. If I see one of my commanding officers chasing a girl I would react. Not only did nobody react, they didn't say who he was chasing when he ends up dead a minute later. Even if they didnt know her name someone should've spoken up and said he was chasing a young boy/girl. Arya should've been found out right away.

Eidan

Hahahahahahahahahaha

I thought Arya's arc in ACOK was one of the dullest in the book. Her storyline in ASOS is much better, but even then I found myself far more excited about Sansa chapters than hers.

AFFC
And Sansa in the Eyrie with Littlefinger is by far a more exciting storyline than Arya in Braavos with the Faceless Men. By fucking far.

Forkball

Wasn't there an eyepatchless guy named Beric Dondarrion in season one? Was he recast?

I can't wait, GoT is really the only show I pay attention to. I already made a preemptive drinking game:

Take a shot when:

Dany says a sentence emphasizing "MY DRAGONS"
You see Jorah's chest hair
Robb's accent changes mid-sentence
Someone is naked who shouldn't be naked

Trojita

I thought Arya's arc in ACOK was one of the dullest in the book. Her storyline in ASOS is much better, but even then I found myself far more excited about Sansa chapters than hers.

AFFC
And Sansa in the Eyrie with Littlefinger is by far a more exciting storyline than Arya in Braavos with the Faceless Men. By fucking far.

ASOS: That
playing in the snow
. So riveting.

Eidan

My jaw just literally dropped and hit the keyboard.

You might be the only person on the planet that thinks this.

That's possible. I'm just not entirely sure why.

ACOK & ASOS
As I've said before, one of my biggest problems with Arya's storyline in ACOK is just how far removed she is from anything of importance. At least Sansa gave a peak at important events and players in King's Landing. In Arya's storyline we were treated to her being tormented by bit players of no significance, and exact vengeance on bit players of no significance. Even more frustrating, when she has the ability to actually have TYWIN LANNISTER assassinated, she realizes it just as he's leaving. Oops.

These problems are alleviated in ASOS, as Arya with the Brotherhood and Arya with the Hound are far more interesting, but even then, this doesn't compare to Sansa's wedding with Tyrion, her flight from King's Landing with Littlefinger, and her time in the Eyrie. It's not even close for me.

AFFC: That
playing in the snow
. So riveting.

ASOS
That's in ASOS.

Eidan

Her stay at Harrenhal in the books was brutal.

By this time in the books Arya has killed several people and been accomplice to a lot more.

The more I think about it, the more I find this aspect of her character problematic.

ACOK
The way she so calmly kills several people towards the end of the book, with little in the way of remorse, hesitation, or even trauma, is strange to point where it borders on unrealistic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason the showrunners decided to cut back on Arya's transition into Jack Bauer in season 2, possibly to make the shift smoother.

Lothar

Banned
That's possible. I'm just not entirely sure why.

ACOK & ASOS
As I've said before, one of my biggest problems with Arya's storyline in ACOK is just how far removed she is from anything of importance. At least Sansa gave a peak at important events and players in King's Landing. In Arya's storyline we were treated to her being tormented by bit players of no significance, and exact vengeance on bit players of no significance. Even more frustrating, when she has the ability to actually have TYWIN LANNISTER assassinated, she realizes it just as he's leaving. Oops.

These problems are alleviated in ASOS, as Arya with the Brotherhood and Arya with the Hound are far more interesting, but even then, this doesn't compare to Sansa's wedding with Tyrion, her flight from King's Landing with Littlefinger, and her time in the Eyrie. It's not even close for me.

Sansa is just a meek helpess sadsack, a predictable damsel in distress, while Arya is off having adventures, exploring the world, risking her life, saving people, making friendships, and plotting death for her enemies.
And delivering death to her enemies too.
I like Sansa, I feel for her, but I'm pretty sure I audibly groaned every time a chapter of hers came up.

Sansa is just a meek helpess sadsack, a predictable damsel in distress, while Arya is off having adventures, exploring the world, risking her life, saving people, making friendships, and plotting death for her enemies.
I like Sansa, I feel for her, but I'm pretty sure I audibly groaned every time a chapter of hers came up.
this X infinity

Eidan

Sansa is not a warrior, and the situation she is in is incredibly dangerous, and can't be solved with simple violence. The way she navigates these perils, and slowly starts to learn the game, is just naturally more intriguing to me.

Arya on the other hand has always left me cold.

Series
I think my bigger issue is that I feel that Arya's use of violence and her proclivity towards it should be seen as tragic. But Martin hasn't made much of an effort to paint it that way. She kills people with the ease and comfort of a seasoned veteran. Hell, Brienne seemed to show more remorse towards killing. For some this might be a large part of the character's appeal, but for me it just created a disconnect. What's happened to her as a person should be seen as an awful descent, but instead whenever people think of Arya eventually becoming an assassin for the Faceless Men, the first reaction seems to be "badass".

Sansa's arc in CoK and SoS is unimportant because while she's close to important people we get very little insight into those people and what they're planning through her. Virtually all of that is done through Tyrion and later Jaime. You get to see some of the machinations of the Tyrells and get to see how awful Cersei and Joffrey are but that's about it (until the very end of SoS when Littlefinger shows up).

Arya is our viewpoint into what war in the seven kingdoms is like for the common man and because of that she's one of the most important characters in the first three books. She's also the viewpoint through which a lot of important information about the war itself gets relayed. We know about when and where Lannister raiding parties go, when Tywin leaves, when Bolton takes over Harrenhall, we get clues for the RW, learn about the BwB, and see the outside of the RW itself.

The more I think about it, the more I find this aspect of her character problematic.

ACOK
The way she so calmly kills several people towards the end of the book, with little in the way of remorse, hesitation, or even trauma, is strange to point where it borders on unrealistic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason the showrunners decided to cut back on Arya's transition into Jack Bauer in season 2, possibly to make the shift smoother.

Not really Entire Series
She lives in a violent world where death is everywhere. Over the course of the books she watches her friends and family killed. And as you go through her storyline the worse things that happen to her the more she begins to think casually about death. At one point pondering the whether or not she could kill Hot Pie because he knows too much.

In the series, unless they decide to completely alter her storyline it's going to be more jarring. In the books she has some of the highest page counts of any character that allowed things to happen to her and for her to become casual to death. The show doesn't really have that.

Sansa is not a warrior, and the situation she is in is incredibly dangerous, and can't be solved with simple violence. The way she navigates these perils, and slowly starts to learn the game, is just naturally more intriguing to me.

Series
I think my bigger issue is that I feel that Arya's use of violence and her proclivity towards it should be seen as tragic. But Martin hasn't made much of an effort to paint it that way. She kills people with the ease and comfort of a seasoned veteran. Hell, Brienne seemed to show more remorse towards killing. For some this might be a large part of the character's appeal, but for me it just created a disconnect. What's happened to her as a person should be seen as an awful descent, but instead whenever people think of Arya eventually becoming an assassin for the Faceless Men, the first reaction seems to be "badass".

I'm sure it will be tragic eventually. But for now it's not seen that way because everything is through Arya's point of view. No one else knows about her. And after Harrenhal she's done feeling timid and sorry for herself.

Eidan

Not really Entire Series
She lives in a violent world where death is everywhere. Over the course of the books she watches her friends and family killed. And as you go through her storyline the worse things that happen to her the more she begins to think casually about death. At one point pondering the whether or not she could kill Hot Pie because he knows too much.

In the series, unless they decide to completely alter her storyline it's going to be more jarring. In the books she has some of the highest page counts of any character that allowed things to happen to her and for her to become casual to death. The show doesn't really have that.

Series
I see your point, but I never felt that killing really weighed heavily on her. For me it felt like there was a 0 to 60 transformation from spirited tomboy to Hit Girl. She shrugs off the killing of the stable boy and never looks back. I know a lot of people loved the weasel soup scene, but for me it was shocking how brazenly she kills several people and doesn't seem to register any guilt or grief for what she's done. As I said, for me this just created a disconnect with the character, and made me question where Martin was really going with her.

Lothar

Banned
Series
I see your point, but I never felt that killing really weighed heavily on her. For me it felt like there was a 0 to 60 transformation from spirited tomboy to Hit Girl. She shrugs off the killing of the stable boy and never looks back. I know a lot of people loved the weasel soup scene, but for me it was shocking how brazenly she kills several people and doesn't seem to register any guilt or grief for what she's done. As I said, for me this just created a disconnect with the character, and made me question where Martin was really going with her.

I like the story Yoren told her on the third episode of Season 2. How do you sleep at night? How do you live with what you've seen? You focus on vengeance. You live to get them back.
Of course she has no remorse. She's seen too many terrible things. It's like how soldiers in war get desensitized.

ACOK

ACOK
She killed people to stay alive. It's not like there is no real life precedent for children defending themselves by any means. And I'd argue it does have a mental impact on her in terms of her slowly losing her identity, which leads to the events of book four

Oh...early reviews coming out:

Jace Lacob (Televisionary) Raves about GoT Season 3.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...of-hbo-s-third-season-of-sex-starks-more.html

Reviews are coming!

Excerpt:
Season 3, which will depict roughly the first half of Martin’s A Storm of Swords, will present Benioff and Weiss with their greatest challenge yet, as both sides attempt to pick up the pieces after the last season’s climactic Battle of the Blackwater. The first four episodes of the new season, provided to critics ahead of its premiere, demonstrate a canny ability to fuse the literary with the visual, resulting in an exhilarating and magnificent thing of beauty, particularly in those scenes that make full use of locations as diverse as Iceland, Croatia, and Morocco.

While Season 3, like the novel on which it is based, takes a little while to get going, when it does pick up speed, it soars—particularly in the sensational third and fourth installments (“Walk of Punishment” and “And Now His Watch Is Ended”), both written by Benioff and Weiss. The first episode back lacks energy and intensity, but provides a necessary foundation off of which to build dozens of separate plots for the scattered characters.

Reminder: As reviews roll out this week, they will be added to the OP.

gutshot

Nice job with the OP, Steely! I may steal some of your cast photos for WiCnet, if you don't mind. ;)

Couple notes, the link to the offseason thread is broken. Also, unless I missed it, I don't see a link to the no-book-spoilers thread in the OP. I think that should probably be prominently linked so our non-book reading friends don't stumble into this thread by accident.

Looking forward to another fun few months of discussing Thrones!

Trojita

Series

Sansa hasn't done a fucking thing except let herself get manipulated.

Series Spoilers:
The most she has done
is befriend little lord Arryn
. That totally matches up with what rest of her siblings have done right? Her journey, while not being exactly easy to go through, is very easy mode compared to the rest of her siblings.

Lothar

Banned
Please tell me if there are any reviewers who didn't like the season finale last season and like the new episodes.

Nice job with the OP, Steely! I may steal some of your cast photos for WiCnet, if you don't mind. ;)

Couple notes, the link to the offseason thread is broken. Also, unless I missed it, I don't see a link to the no-book-spoilers thread in the OP. I think that should probably be prominently linked so our non-book reading friends don't stumble into this thread by accident.

Looking forward to another fun few months of discussing Thrones!

Steal away!

Thanks for those two spots, both fixed.

------------------

Just watched the Wildlings video from this morning, watching Mance and Tormund is going to be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom