• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

John Wick

Not really. Devs still have a touch more control over the console hardware than PC, there is still a degree of low-level access offered by consoles for that console optimization, not available on PC. The Jaguar CPU inside PS4 is something equivalent to an Intel quad-core Q6600 from 2007, yet it was able to run heavy open-world games like WD2, WD Legion, RDR2 the way it did. I don't think a PC with Q6600 will be able to run those games like the PS4. It will be even worse.

Also, DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong it was DF, not me with that 2080S/3060 Ti statement:
WvdX6jY.jpg
DonJuanSchlong that was from your PC boy Alex Battaglia unless your saying he's wrong and stupid?

Loope

And what? Are you another Captain Obvious? You keep on stating many GPU's will beat the PS5, and What? Do you expect to pay $400 just for a GPU and expect it not to beat the PS5? I haven't said anywhere the PS5 will go head to head with best GPU's because that's stupid.
I never said you did either, again, if you look only at the arguments thrown by pc gamers, look also at some of the comments trown my sony gamers and you'll see that argument because Cerny.

Mista

Banned
He comes across as such a smug twat most of the time that I can't watch his videos anymore.
I will disagree with you for the first time mate. People love Steve because he doesn't sugar coat shit and now look at him, he barely gets sponsored by the big dogs and his viewers sends him stuff so he can review them

I understand though why you think like that because he do sometimes sounds like a cunt but thats Steve being Steve when he bashes something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mista

Banned
I don’t have the knowledge, the energy or patience to deal with PC.

That’s why I choose console rather than build-a-PC even thought it’s the same cost.
We have a thread for that if you ever think of building one in the future

Our PC community here will gladly help anyone. We enjoy it for some reason like if we're the one building :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sun Blaze

Banned
So 1800p60 with DRS down to 1440p60 and locked 60 most of the time in gameplay except cemera changes etc is same as 1440p50 now ?

What does your dishonest mean ? OK, whatever.
Why do you lie when the data is readily available?

Based on tests with a 2080 Ti, it looks like a 2080 Super or RTX 3060 Ti would be required to match or exceed PlayStation 5's output. However, based on my tests with a Navi-based RX 5700, I'd expect a 5700 XT to get within striking distance of the console's throughput. This assumes a very high clouds preset - performance does improve if you drop down to high. Looking at the overall wins delivered by my optimised settings, the scalability of the game is disappointing. Dropping from ultra high across the board to my selected presets only saw performance increase by 14 per cent on an RTX 2060 Super running at 1440p.

index.php

Ultra is 14% more taxing than settings roughly equivalent to PS5.

Anyway, done with this garbage thread that should have died pages ago.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha! You can't make this shit up? Sony shitting on customers by building $400 console that can provide nearly performance similar to 2070 according to DF(in certain games) and selling it at cost or slight loss. Yet Nvidia ain't having your eyes out is it with GTX 3000 series cards eh? No Nvidia are selling their GPU's at a loss because the PC space is special and full of smart people. Same as Intel that's why they fucked now selling CPU's below cost.
All you've done is insult console gamers with your PC warrior stereotyping. Not all PC gamers are like you
I'm not insulting console gamers. I've only said the ps5 cpu ain't up to par for current gen game's, more or less, next gen games, that support high framerates. That's not an insult, as it's been proven factual in the video. Or did tech Jesus make the whole thing up, and spoofed the video footage? So which gpu is it similar to again? 1060, 2060, 2070, or 3090? It seems to change constantly with you guys.
DonJuanSchlong that was from your PC boy Alex Battaglia unless your saying he's wrong and stupid?
Just like the 5700xt is slower than 2080ti and closed the gap in one benchmark on an AMD sponsored game. So ps5 is now a 5700xt equivalent, or a 2080ti? On average, it does not perform like the cards you are claiming.

geordiemp

Why do you lie when the data is readily available?

index.php

Ultra is 14% more taxing than settings roughly equivalent to PS5.

Anyway, done with this garbage thread that should have died pages ago.

Ps5 also has some ultra settings so its not clear, is it, and it is not a 1070 or 1080, so I am not lieing am I.

I will disagree with you for the first time mate. People love Steve because he doesn't sugar coat shit and now look at him, he barely gets sponsored by the big dogs and his viewers sends him stuff so he can review them

I understand though why you think like that because he do sometimes sounds like a cunt but thats Steve being Steve when he bashes something :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh, I'm not questioning his integrity or dissing his content. It's, as you mention in your second sentence, his tone that gets me. He comes across as really smug and it just grates on me.

Of course someone on the spectrum would be a fan of KingTRASH. Only low IQ ppl can actually sit through and watch that shit. Who really says the N-word that much, well over 100 times in a few minutes? Maybe someone who's also heavily on the spectrum, but normal people don't talk like that. Hopefully you don't either, but then again your post history seems to be on the spectrum by a huuuuuge margin.

Building a computer is like changing your own oil. Unless you are absolutely incompetent as a human, it's not hard at all. You plug in all the name-tagged cables in their respective spots which are also labeled. Even the guy who built a PC on the Verge, got it up and running, so literally anyone can do it. You can't really fuck up with building one in this day and time. It's not like it was in the early 90's.
Being able to do so is only half the issue. The other half is having the willingness to do so.
Most people I know who build PC's enjoy doing it. They enjoy tweaking XMP, overclocking, undervolting, etc.

Some people just don't care about doing any of that, and would rather just buy an appliance and play games. I suppose you could buy a pre-built or a gaming laptop, but then the value argument gets thrown right in the bin.

John Wick

I'm not insulting console gamers. I've only said the ps5 cpu ain't up to par for current gen game's, more or less, next gen games, that support high framerates. That's not an insult, as it's been proven factual in the video. Or did tech Jesus make the whole thing up, and spoofed the video footage? So which gpu is it similar to again? 1060, 2060, 2070, or 3090? It seems to change constantly with you guys.

Just like the 5700xt is slower than 2080ti and closed the gap in one benchmark on an AMD sponsored game. So ps5 is now a 5700xt equivalent, or a 2080ti? On average, it does not perform like the cards you are claiming.
You did insult console gamers by saying 'PC gamers have higher IQ'
It's hard to say what GPU it's similar to until games arrive that use the PS5 properly. Valhalla performance DF claim between 2070 Super and 2080 Super but PS5 will improve as devs take advantage of its custom hardware and the IO and SSD. Two of those games tested don't prove much as they don't take advantage of PS5 and Dirt was just a rushed port. Like I said before console games rarely target 120fps so it's a pointless exercise.
I haven't claimed anything so you need to be specific.

John Wick

I never said you did either, again, if you look only at the arguments thrown by pc gamers, look also at some of the comments trown my sony gamers and you'll see that argument because Cerny.
Cerny did a brilliant job getting the performance out of the PS5 for $400. Especially with the IO and SSD. The PS5 isn't going to magically beat RTX 2000 cards in RT. It may come close to some of them in rasterised games like Valhalla.
I don't even know why we're having this arguement? If you want the best performance, image quality and the like then it's PC but be prepared to pay for it.

Loope

Cerny did a brilliant job getting the performance out of the PS5 for $400. Especially with the IO and SSD. The PS5 isn't going to magically beat RTX 2000 cards in RT. It may come close to some of them in rasterised games like Valhalla.
I don't even know why we're having this arguement? If you want the best performance, image quality and the like then it's PC but be prepared to pay for it.
I quotes your post but that doesn't mean everything I wrote was addressed to you. Sorry about that.

It's hard to say what GPU it's similar to until games arrive that use the PS5 properly. Valhalla performance DF claim between 2070 Super and 2080 Super but PS5 will improve as devs take advantage of its custom hardware and the IO and SSD. Two of those games tested don't prove much as they don't take advantage of PS5 and Dirt was just a rushed port. Like I said before console games rarely target 120fps so it's a pointless exercise.
Well, there was a thread posted on here about IQ tests amongst gamers, and PC gamers scored the highest. (It shouldn't really be a surprise. So much more to do on PC, so many console gamers say they refuse to learn to build/tinker with a PC, etc.). That's not insulting console gamers. If I said console gamers are dumb, that would be insulting them. The difference between PC and playstation gamers is only a 1.6 iq points if that makes you feel any better.

Do you think only the ps5 will improve? Nvidia and AMD will just cease to release driver updates from now on? Direct storage and RTX I/O are going to get cancelled, and PC is doomed now? I don't get why some of you guys still think the SSD will affect the graphics pipeline and push past the hypothetical max ps5 can do on paper?

Some don't care for raytracing, but I would never say it's pointless. You just gotta have the hardware to do it well. Same with 120fps modes. You can't advertise 120fps, and fall short so early on in the generation. You can't just say fuck 120fps modes, when console gamers have been requesting this for quite some time.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I love how this video is just a strict comparison of 120fps on a select few games, but if you're gaming at 60fps you're gonna have a way easier time with better results on PS5 than a PC at the same price point. I'm a PC guy through and through, bit it's the truth. Assassin's Creed is a title that instantly jumps to mind.

Dr_Salt

So first the PS5 had 2070 super comparable performance, then 2080 and now its as powerful as a 2080 super/3060ti. NVIDIA needs to phone Sony and ask about the magic behind that exponential power increasing gpu.

Fredrik

So first the PS5 had 2070 super comparable performance, then 2080 and now its as powerful as a 2080 super/3060ti. NVIDIA needs to phone Sony and ask about the magic behind that exponential power increasing gpu.
The ”magic” is optimizing and removing things on console versions which we can’t see. You can’t do a 1 to 1 comparison with console games to PC games. Not even for Xbox and PC. You can get close but never choose actual console settings on PC or PC settings on console.

Last edited:
The ”magic” is optimizing and removing things on console versions which we can’t see. You can’t do a 1 to 1 comparison with console games to PC games. Not even for Xbox and PC. You can get close but never choose actual console settings on PC or PC settings on console.
Horizon zero dawn on PC has console settings option and there are no surprises. A 7850 from 2012 in horizon performs similarity to the ps4 which confirms what every sane person knew. There is no such thing as console optimization, consoles do not run on fairy dust.

Console games just run on lower resolutions and lower settings and you would be surprised to know how little you need to spend on PC hardware to match that.

Last edited:

How are they removing things on console that we cant see ? We can see them very clearly. Thats why consoles have inferior image quality to pc games, because of those cutbacks.

Bryank75

Banned
Horizon zero dawn on PC has console settings option and there are no surprises. A 7850 from 2012 in horizon performs similarity to the ps4 which proves what every sane person knew. There is no such thing as console optimization, consoles do not run on fairy dust.

Console games just run on lower resolutions and lower settings and you would be surprised to know how little you need to spend on PC hardware to match that.

HZD was designed to run on the base PS4, which was released in late 2013. Most early adopters didn't get theirs till mid to late 2014.

The thing that was really disappointing was the cpu back then, I think the GPU was quite good for that money though.

Fredrik

Horizon zero dawn on PC has console settings option and there are no surprises. A 7850 from 2012 in horizon performs similarity to the ps4 which proves what every sane person knew. There is no such thing as console optimization, consoles do not run on fairy dust.

It’s still a port from another studio, Nixxes iirc, so it’s not apples to apples. MS does everything in-house though as far as I know, but even then they’re doing things differently on PC so it’s hard to compare the versions directly.
Anyhow, I don’t disagree on your conclusion.

Fredrik

How are they removing things on console that we cant see ? We can see them very clearly. Thats why consoles have inferior image quality to pc games, because of those cutbacks.
It can be anything really, some behind the scenes thing you barely think about. It’s not always as clear as the social distancing crowd in Dirt 5.

Darius87

Horizon zero dawn on PC has console settings option and there are no surprises. A 7850 from 2012 in horizon performs similarity to the ps4 which confirms what every sane person knew. There is no such thing as console optimization, consoles do not run on fairy dust.

GPU can go as fast as CPU allows it so comparing only just GPU's in performance metric is unfair as you see this video shows AMD 7850, Ryzen 5 3600X with 16GB Ram only matches PS4 settings and FPS and it dips to 24FPS in mesa city benchmark as i remember HZD on PS4 was locked 30FPS and it was pretty stable so it's optimized very well on PS4 which invalidates your statement that console optimizations doesn't exist.

Kenpachii

GPU can go as fast as CPU allows it so comparing only just GPU's in performance metric is unfair as you see this video shows AMD 7850, Ryzen 5 3600X with 16GB Ram only matches PS4 settings and FPS and it dips to 24FPS in mesa city benchmark as i remember HZD on PS4 was locked 30FPS and it was pretty stable so it's optimized very well on PS4 which invalidates your statement that console optimizations doesn't exist.

-dynamic resolution
-bad port
- client renders more stuff even on console settings.

I've got better shit to do then argue with somebody over the internet. I'm not responding after this post because it's a pointless endeavor and has gotten off topic (that much we can agree on).
Sure, this is why you are here? To remind us you have better things to do 😘.

The problem is gaming genuis measured the PC side from the frame rate measured at the hardware level, no vsync, and in the ps5 he measured the output performance with vsync, capped at 60fps. (Why not measure the same way on each machine? I mean, he said himself that they spend a lot of resources to get the fps measured on the PS5...why not reuse the tools they made?)

We don't know which settings they used either... Etc. I usually love the guy

vkbest

-dynamic resolution
-bad port
- client renders more stuff even on console settings.

Yes, you are right, but that could be the case for the first ported games on next gen too. Comparatives now it’s pretty stupid, because the most games were rushed ports

Kenpachii

When u realize that valhalla runs like absolute shit on nvidia hardware its so bad that even a 5700xt outperforms a 2080ti, has no dlss support or raytracing which also massively boosts the framerate with nvidia hardware, and it can only get close to a 2070 super. Should tell you how shit that PS5 gpu really is.

When u realize that valhalla runs like absolute shit on nvidia hardware its so bad that even a 5700xt outperforms a 2080ti, has no dlss support or raytracing which also massively boosts the framerate with nvidia hardware, and it can only get close to a 2070 super. Should tell you how shit that PS5 gpu really is.
You won't get a response back from this. I said it earlier, and of course it got disregarded. These guys think hardware optimization is still a secret sauce on consoles, especially as architecture has completely changed since ps2 and xbox og days, not to mention everything after 360 and cell days.

S0ULZB0URNE

That's spin and gamer nexus are fos.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed

Or, hear me out, could also show how good PC games could run on AMD if they weren't all made around Nvidia.

Both our statements can be right or wrong. No way to tell, no way to disprove either theory. Valhalla's great performance on AMD isn't simply a gift from the Nordic gods. The hardware is doing the work.

Last edited:

Zathalus

This is simply not true, using the game itself and not the built-in benchmark:

It includes a hefty overclock on the GPU (2.15 TFLOPs vs the PS4 1.85 TFLOPs). Average framerate of 22 vs 30 FPS with a 16% faster GPU plus far faster CPU does point to the PS4 performing more optimally with the hardware it has.

Or use this:

Not english, but if you look at the FPS counter you get the idea.

Kenpachii

You won't get a response back from this. I said it earlier, and of course it got disregarded. These guys think hardware optimization is still a secret sauce on consoles, especially as architecture has completely changed since ps2 and xbox og days, not to mention everything after 360 and cell days.

They can think what they want, the reality however isn't kind to them.

Or, hear me out, could also show how good PC games could run on AMD if they weren't all made around Nvidia.

Both our statements can be right or wrong. No way to tell, no way to disprove either theory. Valhalla's great performance on AMD isn't simply a gift from the Nordic gods. The hardware is doing the work.

Good optimisation for nvidia = dlss and 5700xt being around the 1080ti level or a bit below the 2070 super ( without dlss active ) with dlss active 5700xt is nowhere to be found.
Good optimisation for amd = 5700xt performs around 1080ti and 2070 super level

Bad optimisation for AMD = when 5700xt sits around the 2060 levels ( no dlss )
Bad optimisation for nvidia = where the 5700xt sits around 2080ti levels.

The game does not support DLSS, has a AMD splash screen logo on it and is performing lackbusting on all NVIDIA hardware of every generation but great on AMD hardware on all its generations

What does that tell you?

Here's borderlands 3 for example: Exactly what u get in pretty much 95% of any other title.

9f4a822c3da3e2b12c7b546a118611b4.jpg

here's a nvidia sponsored title that does seem to be solid optimised also for AMD hardware but features DLSS, as u can see it at the performance it pushes.

7c5ba5fbe5a4fff37b42119c1a74e6c0.jpg

That's without DLSS by the way.

This is with DLSS, the higher the fps the worse quality setting of dlss

895451f76bdda99b9dffc283be734eb7.jpg

It's not hard man.

Sometimes gpu's always spike up in one or the other game
This is simply not true, using the game itself and not the built-in benchmark:

It includes a hefty overclock on the GPU (2.15 TFLOPs vs the PS4 1.85 TFLOPs). Average framerate of 22 vs 30 FPS with a 16% faster GPU plus far faster CPU does point to the PS4 performing more optimally with the hardware it has.

Or use this:

Not english, but if you look at the FPS counter you get the idea.

Completely useless to even do this and the reasons for this is

1) horizon zero dawn was a absolute disastrous release of a completely butchered game performance wise and every single player that bought it / outlet slammed them for it. It was the first real title that was interesting to see how ps4 software from first devs would relate towards pc's specs but god they butchered it hard.
2) The pc port is such a mess they are ducktaping problem and patching new systems they create in order to make the game perform stable ( just read there updates its a joke ) which all tank performance at the end, its not remotely like the PS4 game or a straight well optimised port at it. It's laughable bad how it performs for the visuals it pushes out.
3) it has higher base settings also something they advertised, now if those base settings can be disabled or not i wouldn't know. maybe they can. they are not clear about this at all.
4) 7000 series cards are no longer supported or optimized for, even pulling one forwards without having amd specifically optimize for those games or games for those architectures is going to yield in worse performance as pc moves forwards after a while and doesn't stay stuck for a decade on hardware that wasn't even relevant anymore at the release of the PS4. This is why people compared it towards a 750ti and not a some 7000 series gpu.

It's completely and utterly useless what this guy is doing really in his video's really.

And then lets look at what horizon really is doing.

Just look at at the city in the game, and that's them advertising the game with by the way.

6b3d9227555e614a77f49de0ad3aa9b0.jpg

like is this some bootleg final fantasy 14 looking game.

I runned the benchmark a while ago and god the game cuts corners everywhere. I am sure it has some good looking area's but city's aint part of it.

AC origin absolutely dumpsters it even on the PS4.

Zathalus

Completely useless to even do this and the reasons for this is

1) horizon zero dawn was a absolute disastrous release of a completely butchered game performance wise and every single player that bought it / outlet slammed them for it. It was the first real title that was interesting to see how ps4 software from first devs would relate towards pc's specs but god they butchered it hard.
2) The pc port is such a mess they are ducktaping problem and patching new systems they create in order to make the game perform stable ( just read there updates its a joke ) which all tank performance at the end, its not remotely like the PS4 game or a straight well optimised port at it. It's laughable bad how it performs for the visuals it pushes out.
3) it has higher base settings also something they advertised, now if those base settings can be disabled or not i wouldn't know. maybe they can. they are not clear about this at all.
4) 7000 series cards are no longer supported or optimized for, even pulling one forwards without having amd specifically optimize for those games or games for those architectures is going to yield in worse performance as pc moves forwards after a while and doesn't stay stuck for a decade on hardware that wasn't even relevant anymore at the release of the PS4. This is why people compared it towards a 750ti and not a some 7000 series gpu.

It's completely and utterly useless what this guy is doing really in his video's really.

And then lets look at what horizon really is doing.

Just look at at the city in the game, and that's them advertising the game with by the way.

6b3d9227555e614a77f49de0ad3aa9b0.jpg

like is this some bootleg final fantasy 14 looking game.

I runned the benchmark a while ago and god the game cuts corners everywhere. I am sure it has some good looking area's but city's aint part of it.

AC origin absolutely dumpsters it even on the PS4.
I was responding to a comment that the 7850 series runs HZD at the same settings and FPS then the PS4 version, when this is simply not true. I also linked a video demonstrating this is not true for a number of titles, not just HZD. Are all the games that perform worse bad ports then?

You are also wrong about 7850 support, they are still fully supported and due to it being GCN it has received driver optimisations up until very recently, as it is the same base architecture right up to the Vega series cards. Hence the fine wine meme with GCN cards.

Top Bottom