• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers and Nintendo fans - would you want Nintendo to be acquired?

Do you want Nintendo to get acquired?

• Yes, by Microsoft

Votes: 27 6.0%
  • Yes, by Sony

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • Yes, by Apple

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Yes, by Amazon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, by Google

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, by Tencent

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Yes, by someone not listed

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • No

Votes: 390 87.2%

• Total voters

BlackTron

how is it hurting sony? it's selling on the same pace as ps4 and that's with out any big exclusives released. I think it's helping sony sale way more games.
Bad long term strategy. They aren't going to release a game on PC and see the negative effect on their ecosystem the next morning

Knightime_X

That's horrible, you want to risk them not being able to make the games they want because that will get you their old games while their future is destroyed by Microsoft or whoever else.
What? Many of the games are already available on switch. It's Nintendo's version of gamepass.
Nintendo made F zero 99 instead of a new F Zero...... They made what THEY WANTED. Not what gamers wanted.
To top it off, you know Nintendo is going to remove F Zero 99 much sooner than later just like all the other 99 games.

Last edited:

Wunray

No but I would like them to port their games to pc, I would buy whatever stupid controller just to play it.

zeldaring

Banned
Bad long term strategy. They aren't going to release a game on PC and see the negative effect on their ecosystem the next morning
Don't agree at all. ps5 hasn't even any big exclusives that weren't crossgen and selling like hot cakes. wiiu had plenty of exclusives and bombed. I'm pretty sure sony which has had a excellent track record with console sales did a massive amount of research before making decision to bring exclusives to PC, and they know what they are doing.

Holammer

Yes

il_fullxfull.3842917798_e50m.jpg

Also, I'd love to be able to buy Nintendo games.

Chastten

Banned
I really love how the few people who actually want Nintendo to be bought, only give "MUH GRAPHICS" as a reason as to why.

In all honestly, I'd say Nintendo's games would get a lot worse if/when they start focussing on graphics instead of the things they do best.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, in a way it would be nice to not have to buy several consoles, but I enjoy Nintendo doing their own thing. The Switch is very different from the other consoles, and that's cool (although we do need the Switch 2 like yesterday).

If anyone, Sony. They are the ones I feel would let Nintendo keep doing their thing, not force them to rush their games out, etc. But nah. No point.

OP should've gone the full mile: enabled votes publicly displayed.

Anyone picking the first option deserves to wear that badge of shame with honor for all to see.

Yes but only by someone with deeper pockets that would leave them alone and just make them more resilient and let them get bigger.

yeah for a beefy handheld

Oh okay never mind. Seems y'all are just coming out of the woodwork on your own. Kudos.

Last edited:
I think the gaming industry benefits from Nintendo being independent.

I actually think Nintendo is well positioned to survive and be a leader after the upcoming gaming industry crash. Apple will likely be the leader when the dust settles.

It does appear as Disney is positioning itself to possibly sell off ESPN, ABC, and most of its cable tv holdings. It would seem the rumors could be true that if Iger wants Apple to acquire Disney. I do believe once the MS/Activision deal is approved, it paves the way for a much bigger acquisition of Apple and Disney.

Apple would vault to the main gaming company instantly with the Disney IP. Disney, Muppets, Marvel and Star Wars. Plus any other companies that will align with Apple. Bear in mind, Microsoft will be the biggest company yelling “anti-trust” at Apple. But, I believe ultimately it will fall on deaf ears as MS paved the way for this merger.

Should this unthinkable event (Disney + Apple) happen, I would prefer Nintendo stay independent to be the main alternative to Xbox and Apple. Sony is done, imo. They will have to move to software only, or even look to sell the “PlayStation brand” As a whole.

If Nintendo were forced to sell, I would prefer it would be Apple (i guess). OR merge with Valve. Almost everything MS buys, it ruins eventually.

Last edited:

Ikutachi

What? Many of the games are already available on switch. It's Nintendo's version of gamepass.
Nintendo made F zero 99 instead of a new F Zero...... They made what THEY WANTED. Not what gamers wanted.
To top it off, you know Nintendo is going to remove F Zero 99 much sooner than later just like all the other 99 games.
Mario 35 😭

Nicktendo86

Voted no. HOWEVER, if for some reason they had to merge I would prefer to be with Sony. After all the PlayStation only came about due to the deal with Nintendo so that would be at least kinda poetic.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think the gaming industry benefits from Nintendo being independent.

I actually think Nintendo is well positioned to survive and be a leader after the upcoming gaming industry crash. Apple will likely be the leader when the dust settles.

It does appear as Disney is positioning itself to possibly sell off ESPN, ABC, and most of its cable tv holdings. It does appear as if Iger wants Apple to acquire Disney. I do believe once the MS/Activision deal is approved, it paves the way for a much bigger acquisition of Apple and Disney.

Apple would vault to the main gaming company instantly with the Disney IP. Disney, Muppets, Marvel and Star Wars. Plus any other companies that will align with Apple. Bear in mind, Microsoft will be the biggest company yelling “anti-trust” at Apple. But, I believe ultimately it will fall on deaf ears as MS paved the way for this merger.

Should this unthinkable event (Disney + Apple) happen, I would prefer Nintendo stay independent to be the main alternative to Xbox and Apple. Sony is done, imo. They will have to move to software only, or even look to sell the “PlayStation brand” As a whole.

If Nintendo were forced to sell, I would prefer it would be Apple (i guess). OR merge with Valve. Almost everything MS buys, it ruins eventually.
Phone market share in Japan - iPhone 65%.

Gaming is fucked if Nintendo are acquired but yeah, Apple over the other American monoliths any day.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Absolutely fucking not. For all their faults on the hardware side, Nintendo is the one good thing this industry has going for it from a first-party standpoint.

Marvel14

Banned

Anyone picking the first option deserves to wear that badge of shame with honor for all to see.

Oh okay never mind. Seems y'all are just coming out of the woodwork on your own. Kudos.
Sorry bud but an owner with deep pockets that doesn't get involved in the running of the business is a dream scenario for any business.

Protects Nintendo from a hostile takeover in perpetuity, allows it to take more risks and deepen innovation, keeps it business operations and strategy in full control of its management and ensures it can continue to compete with two mega corps that don't rely solely on the videogames market for revenue.

Of course the risk is that the new ownership do get involved but an acquisition contract could be drawn up that protects Nintendo from all interference in the running of the business, in exchange for a fat dividend. (Other clauses on conditions for selling on the business would also be needed etc)

So yes a very, very unlikely scenario indeed that rules out most technology firms but not impossible.

Last edited:

twilo99

Definitely, it is a Japanese company, there is no way Microsoft would be able to keep the development talent if they took Nintendo over because it is culturally and physically so different than a North American company.

One of many reasons.

Even if Microsoft lets them be like they did with Mojang it will never be the same.

Hudo

Fuck it, I'm gonna buy Nintendo.

I'll force them to make a new F-Zero and a new StarFox. I'll give the F-Zero project to Platinum, let's see what they come up with. And the StarFox project to what's left of Treasure with help of Bamco, so they don't take 50 years to make the game.
I also grab Sakurai out of his Youtuber-chair and command him to make a new Kid Icarus.
Zelda movie will be made Studio Ponoc (I would love to give it to Ghibli and Miyazaki but he'll probably tell me to go fuck myself)
I also grab Yoko Taro and Tetsuya Takahashi and locked them inside Monolith's offices until they've got something.

Miyamoto can do whatever the fuck he wants, he earned that right. And I also take a flight over to the US and stop by Retro Studios' offices to see if they're actually doing something or if they just post BBQ pictures on Twitter.
Lastly, I fly back to Osaka and drop by Capcom's offices and tell them that I am willing to bankroll a Mega Man Legends 3 and I want Itsuno to be involved in it (after he has finished DD2, of course).

Crayon

Fuck it, I'm gonna buy Nintendo.

I'll force them to make a new F-Zero and a new StarFox. I'll give the F-Zero project to Platinum, let's see what they come up with. And the StarFox project to what's left of Treasure with help of Bamco, so they don't take 50 years to make the game.
I also grab Sakurai out of his Youtuber-chair and command him to make a new Kid Icarus.
Zelda movie will be made Studio Ponoc (I would love to give it to Ghibli and Miyazaki but he'll probably tell me to go fuck myself)
I also grab Yoko Taro and Tetsuya Takahashi and locked them inside Monolith's offices until they've got something.

Miyamoto can do whatever the fuck he wants, he earned that right. And I also take a flight over to the US and stop by Retro Studios' offices to see if they're actually doing something or if they just post BBQ pictures on Twitter.
Lastly, I fly back to Osaka and drop by Capcom's offices and tell them that I am willing to bankroll a Mega Man Legends 3 and I want Itsuno to be involved in it (after he has finished DD2, of course).

I've got 5 on it.

zeldaring

Banned

I voted sony should buy them. I mostly care about zelda and donkey kong. mario is a wait for a sale buy.

Neff

The most unique and gameplay-centric publisher in the industry which understands its craft and its customers more than any other, the father of modern video gaming, the creator of some of the most recognisable and popular characters/IPs in the world, being amalgamated into a company which is the definition of complacent vanilla, rife with examples of poor strategy and lack of insight, and consistently fumbles its way from year to year with nothing to show to the tune of the same tired, exhaustively rehearsed corporate-speak self-reproach?

Nah I'm good

Kabelly

Microsoft can't even add gyro to their controllers and thus wouldn't do Splatoon any justice. (Leaks not withstanding)

gaheris

If anyone wants to see the saved files on the wayback machine here is a link to them. It is about 127 files, 820 MB. I wonder who is gonna get their ass handed to them for being the person who put it online, especially with several files unredacted.

Update

There are several files that I don't think are archived correctly:
PX1950, PX7014, PX2133, PX2199, PX8001, RX0070, RX0079, RX1162, PX9009, PX4365, PX9005.
I checked them all and they are 127 kb big, none of these files would open. I think it was just an error in the bot when it archived the page but someone will have them, they will surface at some point.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

On Steam with actual sales? Better graphics and $20 instead of on a weak portable for $60. Yes.

Last edited:

Bridges

I've been mostly Xbox/Nintendo for the last three gens, so even as someone who would benefit from the first party all in one box that's a resounding "fuck no" from me and I would be surprised to hear anyone say otherwise that isn't on MS's payroll or a just a complete fanboy who wants their console to have total domination.

The acquisition of Nintendo IP would be fucking huge for anyone. It'd be like if Paramount bought Disney.

Consumers would all lose our big time with this. Nintendo needs to stay independent and pure not matter what it costs, and I doubt they would ever want to sell regardless.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo does not own a majority of its shares. A hostile take is possible but would be extremely hard for an outside company. But if MS “ partnered “ with Nintendo’s share holders they could do it.
But good thing is I think the largest share hold is only like 16% so it would be a major task to get enough to support such a thing.

I would hate to see it though. 👎

Last edited:
That's never happen, but...

If the worst happen. the best way is a consolidation with Sony and vice-versa.

After all, PlayStation is a child made by Nintendo. These are the two oldest and popular manufacturers

That was Ken Kutaragi/Norio Ohga. Ken badgered Nintendo into the deal, which was a bad one.

Sorry bud but an owner with deep pockets that doesn't get involved in the running of the business is a dream scenario for any business.

You mean besides when Microsoft outright told Arkane to halt (cancel) the PS5 version of RedFall? And did the same to Bethesda for Starfield? And Phil Spencer himself demanding that all new Zenimax games be exclusive to Microsoft platforms going forward?

Protects Nintendo from a hostile takeover in perpetuity,

It's funny you say this when if anything Microsoft seem interested in destabilizing Nintendo over time by using other firms and companies to buy shares into them. Which was evidenced right in today's leaks.

allows it to take more risks and deepen innovation,

What innovations in game design have Microsoft's own studios taken since being acquired? What have they done since acquirement, that they simply never did prior?

keeps it business operations and strategy in full control of its management

The same management that saw MS fumble their 360 momentum transitioning to XBO? The same management that's seen Game Pass stall at 25 million for 3/4ths of an entire year? The same management that called their own 2022 "a disaster"?

You want Nintendo to get bought into that?

and ensures it can continue to compete with two mega corps that don't rely solely on the videogames market for revenue.

Nintendo's been doing more than fine outselling Xbox Series since that system's came out, and are very competitive with PS5 sales even as PS5 supply finally started matching demand. They also make more profit in gaming per year than both Sony and Microsoft.

I'd say Nintendo's doing more than fine as-is.

Of course the risk is that the new ownership do get involved but an acquisition contract could be drawn up that protects Nintendo from all interference in the running of the business, in exchange for a fat dividend. (Other clauses on conditions for selling on the business would also be needed etc)

So what benefits do Microsoft owning Nintendo, give Nintendo, outside of their revenue and profits now filtering over to Microsoft? Which is basically what they have with Zenimax now, i.e limited integration. And which also doesn't actually benefit Nintendo at all.

Because all of the supposed benefits you just listed, would not happen, if only limited integration were the plan. Which reduces the acquisition to nothing other than MS fattening their own bank accounts and stock valuation.

So yes a very, very unlikely scenario indeed that rules out most technology firms but not impossible.

If it comes to Microsoft buying Nintendo, gaming really will be dead. It's like AT&T buying (pre-SW Sequel Trilogy/MCU Phase 4) Disney; disaster and failure is inevitable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom