• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that made you believe it was the best game you ever played right after?

Kenpachii

Ocarina of time, such high quality content and it just kept coming, never beated it originally got stuck in the water temple, but even after i was done, the quality was just above anything else i played on every metric.
Mario 64, absolute amazed even after i beated it
pokemon blue/red, such high quality handheld game it was mindblowing versus all the shovelware side scroller trash games the platform had, really put handheld gaming to the next level.

Last edited:
I've been playing videogames since the 80's, so I don't really remember the last time I thought the game I just finished was THE best ever (maybe Ultima VII?). But the last time I thought "damn, this game was one of the best ones I've ever played" was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The experience was unlike any other and I really miss Henry and his adventures throughout Bohemia. From time to time I remember and think about the game like a nice and memorable childhood vacation...

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Smackdown 2, shut your mouth, here comes the pain, 06 and 07.

Ratchet and clank from the PS2 era
Jak ll
Gran Turismo 2 and 3

Persona 4 golden
Bloodborne
NieR Automata
Shadow of the colossus
Ghost of Tsushima
Ace combat 4,5,7

Super Mario 64
RuneScape
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Linch King
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Assassin’s Creed II
Halo: Reach
Skyrim
Journey
The Last of Us
Civilization V
Cities Skylines
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Last of Us: Part II

And while I never thought it was the best of all time, Returnal was pretty damn close and definitely giving me similar vibes that these games did.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
When I was young, lot of arcade games.

Now I'm not easily impressed, even with masterpiece like MonsterBoy and Witcher 3.

The last time I was so impressed was Motorstorm Pacific Rift.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Phan :messenger_clapping: tom :messenger_clapping: Dust :messenger_clapping:.

Hmmm. Demon Souls PS3....definitely, definitely Demon's Souls.

Halo CE, Mortal Kombat 2, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, Super Mario 64, Mass Effect 1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles 1989 Arcade Cabinet annnnd Street Fighter 2.

I think these are the only games that completely floored me after playing them.

drotahorror

My favorite game of all time is God of War 2018.

But some of the best games I've ever played... (have played games over 30 years...)

The Last of Us 1
Doom Eternal
It Takes Two
COD Modern Warfare 2
World of Warcraft (vanilla, TBC, and WotLK)
SOMA
Witcher 3
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
REmake
Dead by Daylight
Motorstorm 2 and 3
Driveclub
Forza Horizon 3
Sleeping Dogs
Dirt Rally 2.0
Resogun
Dark Souls 2 (i had the best time in this one, 3 is objectively better as is part 1 but I just enjoyed my time with this one more)
Bloodborne
Path of Exile
SMITE
Dishonored 1
Dead Space 1

Those are all modern games, I can't remember having that feeling when I was younger. I just played games and had fun.

pramod

Banned
I've been playing videogames since the 80's, so I don't really remember the last time I thought the game I just finished was THE best ever (maybe Ultima VII?). But the last time I thought "damn, this game was one of the best ones I've ever played" was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The experience was unlike any other and I really miss Henry and his adventures throughout Bohemia. From time to time I remember and think about the game like a nice and memorable childhood vacation...
I guess I'm showing my age here...but that reminds me that i had the same feelings for the early Ultima games especially 4 because in all honesty and fairness, each Ultima (maybe until 6) WAS objectively the biggest and baddest RPG of its time when it came out.

Batiman

Banned
Halo CE. Nothing gave me that feeling since. It felt way ahead of the pack at the time. I used to hate on Xbox big time as a PlayStation guy. As soon as I played it co op at my buddy’s house that hate was gone.

Kuranghi

Half-Life 2 maybe?

Halo CE. Nothing gave me that feeling since. It felt way ahead of the pack at the time. I used to hate on Xbox big time as a PlayStation guy. As soon as I played it co op at my buddy’s house that hate was gone.

You could be right actually, changing my pick... maybe. No I can't I love HL2 too much lol.

Last edited:
Galaga
Contra
Zelda II
Mega Man II
Tetris
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II: Turbo
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Doom I/II
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy VI (bit of a slow burn though)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Final Fantasy V
Half Life
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy Tactics
Starcraft
Baldur's Gate II
Planescape: Torment
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Half Life 2
Portal I/II
Persona 3
Cave Story
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Divinity: Original Sin II

Not all of them took the top when they debuted, but for the most part added something of value for me when I first played them.

The Witcher 3. Especially after playing the DLC. Even though it might not be my absolute favourite game of all time, from an objective point of view it is without doubt the best game I've played.

SJRB

Gold Member
Deus Ex Human Revolution was an AMAZING experience first time.

Other than that of course MGS2 is the GOAT experience, especially back in the day when it first came out. It still is a brilliant game, but the zeitgeist of that era just added like 10 extra layers on top of its experience.

Colonel AI going bananas while I was playing in the middle of the night is legit still the best videogame experience I have ever had. I was totally freaking out when the Colonel told me, the player, that I have been playing for too long and I should turn off the console. My mind was blown.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
The demo of Metal Gear Solid 2 made it abundantly clear that it was leaps and bounds ahead of anything else. Not even the full game, just a segment. That’s how good it was. Nothing came close. It felt like a generational leap in and of itself with the amount of detail and polish it had. Most games now don’t match it.

Last edited:
All these people just posting a list of their favourite games.

The game that really did it for me was Persona 5. I felt so empty afterwards. I wanted to play it again immediately, but decided to just leave my memories of the game as they were.

It's hard to remember back that far, but I am certain the Super Mario Bros 2 was also one that made me think "this is as good as it gets". The ending was mind-blowing when first discovered. I still can't believe that a random game with Mario sprites added to it is still one of the best Mario games ever made.

iHaunter

1. World of Warcraft on release (Never a better MMO)
2. God of War (2018)
3. Demon's Souls
4. Bloodborne
5. TLOU
6. MGS4
7. Diablo II : LOD
8. Mega Man X

nkarafo

For me its either Doom (the original) or Dungeon Keeper (the original).

These were always in my top 10 but nowhere near the top 3 where i would usually place games like Super Metroid, F-Zero X or OOT.

Thing is, i can't be bothered to finish OOT for a second time. And while i did finish Super Metroid a couple of times and did a couple of speed runs, im sick of it now. And F-Zero X, well its not really somethimg i would like to play now.

But Doom... I still play the fuck out of it, its like a drug. I play the PC original, the console ports, the modern source ports, Doom 64 and tons of mods and megawads. I still play that thing non stop.

Same with Dungeon Keeper. I finish the whole campaign about once every year or so and it always grab me until the end.

But Doom still gets more play time today. So its Doom for me.

assurdum

Banned
itbSm3suGHSSHIpmu9CCPBRy.jpg
It's really time for you to start to play some old classic.

Deerock71

Mario 64
Goldeneye
Resident Evil 4

Coming soon to this list:

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition*

*I know it's three games, but fuck you I'm counting it as one!

Kuramu

This only happened to me twice.

1. I was blown away by the freedom to explore and atmosphere of the original Metroid. Pitfall 2 and Adventure had headed in this direction, but 2600 was too limited.

2. After many decades i just assumed my age was the reason i couldn't find that feeling again. But then a game I almost didn't buy took my life over for 6 months. Zelda BotW. It boiled over into my real life. On a hike in the woods i would notice rocks out of place and my first thought would be "perhaps a Korok". People who call it overrated... i feel bad for them like I feel bad for people who hate the Beatles.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Two big ones come to mind:

1) Phantasy Star -- You never forget your first RPG, and it helped that Phantasy Star was the first JRPG to come out in North America, and it way beyond anything else that generation in terms of presentation, graphics, and music. From the illustrated cut scenes, to the first person dungeons, to the animated enemies, to the expansive universe of three fleshed out planets, it felt like the ultimate game. It was my favorite game for years.

2) Shenmue II -- Although I liked the first Shenmue, I didn't love it. It was bloated with a lot of filler designed to pad its length and the world felt tiny, if super detailed. Shenmue II really fixed that with its much larger scope. It was just the most believable game world I had ever seen. I was so absorbed I played the whole game in a weekend, barely stopping to eat or sleep. I don't think it really holds up now but I definitely remember feeling like it was the greatest thing I ever played when the credits rolled.

HBx2000

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves. After finishing it for the first time, I thought it was absolute perfection.
Especially the ending, never have I ever been so satisfied with it. Because most games just seem to fizzle out.

Zannegan

Quite a few, but then, I was lucky enough to be growing up at a time when new barriers were being broken (2D -> 3D being the big one) and new genres being invented gen by gen. I tried to build a list of best ever (at the time) games, but I've been gaming so long and that dubious honor has changed so often that once it got over 10 games I gave it up as pointless.

If I had to pick just one though, I will say that Mario 64 was a total revelation when it came out. That combination of pitch-perfect 3D movement plus worlds within worlds was crazy. Of course, my expectations were repeatedly blown away from there, but it's not a bad starting point for "best evers."

Then there's Chrono Trigger, which I played years after its heyday (during the PS3/360/Wii generation) via an emulator and just could not get enough of. That one went straight onto my list with zero help from nostalgia. What a fantastic classic JRPG.

XyberStrategy

Neo Member
Highlights of my best games per console

Atari 2600
Pacman
Donkey Kong
Baseball

NES Games
Super Mario Brothers 1 & 3
Battle City
Punch-Out
Double Dribble
Contra
Street Fighter

Gameboy
Super Mario Land
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat II

SNES Games
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat II
Ninja Turtles

Playstation
Tekken
Metal Slug
Marvel vs Capcom
Street Fighter EX
Mortal Kombat Trilogy

PC
Red Alert
Warcraft
Age of Empires
Starcraft
The Sims
Counter-strike
DOTA

Mobile
Plants vs Zombies
Shadow Fight 2
Mobile Legends: Bang Bang

On top of personally liking them, these are practically the most popular games in our town per their respective timeline. Their popularity somehow added some influence for me to consider them the best.

Overall, I found The Sims to be the most educational because it taught me to plan for my future. lol.

Jennings

Return of the Obra Dinn. I was enraptured from start to finish.

Starsiege Tribes. Best multiplayer shooter of the 90s.

Minecraft beta.

Top Bottom