• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the hype/reviews were misleading

Hot5pur

Recently picked up Forespoken and Dying Light 2. These games were updated since release but even so they are still often considered as trash. In my case I am REALLY enjoying both.

On the flip side, God of War 2018 was hyped to high heaven and I found it to be a repetitive slog with boring writing.

What games ended up surprising you either negatively or positively. I am hoping to find some gems I have been avoiding.

Killjoy-NL

- Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
The game was utter trash (at least on consoles).

- Destiny 1.
Common knowledge.

- Skyrim
Boring reskin of Oblivion, but with dragons.

From the top of my head.

Oh and Enchanted Arms. Was supposed to be an amazing Xbox rpg coming to PS3.
First and only game that managed to get me back in the store within an hour to trade it in.

Edit:

Forgot about No Man's Sky

Last edited:

Certinty

God of War Ragnarok.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this one and I enjoyed the 2018 game enough to platinum it.

Essentially the same game all over again but somehow far worse. New weapon sucks, the story is awful, the most disappointing finale i've ever come across in video games (when it should on paper have been one of the most epic) and dragged out boring levels which just keep going on and on.

Just forced myself to finish it as thankfully it wasn't overly long but it's quite sad to me what the franchise has become given how amazing God of War III was.

PanzerCute

Forspoken is a weird beast to be honest.

The story, writing, characters and everything designed as the story driven content is INSANELY SHIT, like it almost feels like half of the game is missing, character development is terrible, the main character is the worst I have ever witnessed in a JRPG, and the whole world building is also severly lacking.

BUT

The traversal is insanely fun, the combat is like a character action game with magic (with 100+ Spells to use and some nice "dps cycle" to find), the world is a joy to unravel and I platinumed the game in no time, as I was completely addicted to just roaming around at the speed of light and slaughtering thousands of ennemies.

At some point I decided to play the game as it had no scenario and as it was just a huge sandbox with a Platinum Games level gameplay, and I had a BLAST !

SJRB

Gold Member
- Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
The game was utter trash (at least on consoles).

Yeah this was a brutal one. Back in the time where publishers could get away with releasing "screenshots" like these:

a27923fa107d3a2b594b42da5c4b2ec9.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-screenshot-big.jpg

Haven't played Forspoken, but Dying Light 2 is excellent, looks great, story is.... Play it with friends, it's a great time.

I'll tip my hat to

0JH9uaYLozePLWj3M7QowO3YtHbXnXg1.png

It's a way better game than people gave it credit at the time and the parkour hasn't been bettered or surpassed since then. You get to play as goddamn French Batman. It's awesome. And it still looks amazing today considering it's release. The lighting is fantastic.

GHG

Recent high profile examples are No man's Sky (now improved), Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk (also improved now) and Starfield.

Generic

Okami. Extremely good reviews from media and Gamefaqs. It even gained a GOTY award from Gamespot. But the game really is a 30 hours long walking simulator with unskippable cutscenes

Funny how nobody talks about this game anymore.

Killjoy-NL

Yeah this was a brutal one. Back in the time where publishers could get away with releasing "screenshots" like these:

a27923fa107d3a2b594b42da5c4b2ec9.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-screenshot-big.jpg
I remember playing multiplayer on PS3, with braindead AI squads and foliage that wouldn't render after 5 m. away from you, so everybody was just sitting or laying there out in the open.

The only fun to be had in the game, was sniping people from over 2km away while they were trying to get into a chopper.

Kena is the one time I've really kicked myself for getting sucked in by the hype. (I usually resist well).
And of course, Cyberpunk's initial release/refund.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Elden Ring
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy XV
No Man's Sky
Red Dead Redemption 2
Starfield
The Last of Us Part II

Final Fantasy VII [PS1]
Worse in every way imaginable in comparison to the SNES' FFVI.

I am replaying this right now with the New Threat 2.0 mod on PC. This mod alters the story, and so far (I'm just wrapping up Midgar) I am loving it.

reezoo

God of War Ragnarok.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this one and I enjoyed the 2018 game enough to platinum it.

Essentially the same game all over again but somehow far worse. New weapon sucks, the story is awful, the most disappointing finale i've ever come across in video games (when it should on paper have been one of the most epic) and dragged out boring levels which just keep going on and on.

Just forced myself to finish it as thankfully it wasn't overly long but it's quite sad to me what the franchise has become given how amazing God of War III was.
GoW has one fo the best gameplay loop and GoWR was refinement of it. Only issue is I felt some optional bosses had similar issue as Elden Ring that is being unfair (say fighting three berserkers etc.) and some bosses were easy like GNA compared to Sigrun, took me 100+ tries on normal difficulty to beat Sigrun, still trying to beath her in GMGOW mode.

Madflavor

FF16 does not deserve the scores it got at all

It has an 87. It's definitely not the score I'd give it, but it's not totally absurd either. I do think, based on what we're seeing of FFVII: Rebirth, that a lot of people who thought very highly of FFXVI may retroactively think less of the game, provided Rebirth sticks the landing when it comes to exploration, minigames, RPG elements, and Party management/control.

Last edited:

nowhat

images

That trailer was downright fraud:

This has been widely documented so I can provide links if you're so inclined, but by that time most of Bioware themselves had no idea what kind of game they were making. Not excusing how the game ended up or that it was factually quite fraudulent, but I'd put most of the blame on management (and EA, of course, fuck EA) when it comes to how "Bob Dylan of video games" turned out.

LakeOf9

It has an 87. It's definitely not the score I'd give it, but it's not totally absurd either. I do think, based on what we're seeing of FFVII: Rebirth, that a lot of people who thought very highly of FFXVI may retroactively think less of the game, provided Rebirth sticks the landing when it comes to exploration, minigames, RPG elements, and Party management/control.
I think it’s a mid 70s game at best, an 87 is literally more than 10 points higher than what I’d give it. It’s got like a 1:4 ratio for great content to shitty content. I think anyone assessing it with reasonable standards would not score it higher than that. But it’s a new FF game, so of course scores were inflated. We saw this with FFXV too.

Guilty_AI

Driver San Francisco.

Many were playing it down because "Driver is a dead series" or due the weird possessing mechanic they presented, and official reviews were pretty mild.
Turns out its one of the best racing and driving games ever made, and nowhere near enough people played it. And to top it of its delisted, so very low chances of a renaissance.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think all these games got good reviews.

Shadow of Colossus (PS2) - probably the worst frame rate I played on PS2. It was so bad I thought the disc was skipping or a glitch so I rebooted my PS2. same issue

Syndicate (360) - terrible FPS

I think it was called Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising - that's when 360 era had shooters coming out every month. Buddied up with some friends to play the demo. We bailed after a few matches. terrible shooter.

Crysis 3 (360) - another shooter which was awful. Bad feel to the game (frame rate). And this game copied COD 4's 3-5-7 killstreaks literally. 3 is some UAV thing, 5 is a missile, 7 is a spaceship that floats above you killing enemies. COD4 came out in 2007, Crysis 3 in 2013. Same 357 killstreak. Thats some creativity.

There were so many shit shooters that era I'm surprised Broderbund didn't come out and make one.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Doom 2016.

I actually fell asleep playing it. One of the most boring FPS games ever made.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lies of p. No. Is not bloodborne 2. And they forgot to address balance and animation issues in reviews. And its linear af. Nobody even mentioned that and people called ds2 linear.

Top Bottom