• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the hype/reviews were misleading

Hot5pur

Seems most of the emphasis is on negatives, no one gets surprised by mischaracterized gems anymore :( (all very subjective I know)

xrnzaaas

I rarely read racing games reviews from mainstream outlets. You can tell most of them don't have any experts from the genre so they delegate someone to play with all assists on and no experience what's good, what's bad and what's changed.

Shenmue got me years ago. Boring as fuck, and the living world where people had routines was a joke.
It was cool on Dreamcast though on release. There was nothing even close to it at it's release.

Any rerelease years later doesn't really do a good job implying the impact it had because games have done it better since.

The game itself is definitely mediocre, but it's a very unique experience for sure and I spent a lot of time messing around in the arcades and collecting bullshit. Cool for it's time, less so now.

Guilty_AI

Seems most of the emphasis is on negatives, no one gets surprised by mischaracterized gems anymore :( (all very subjective I know)
I did bring a positive example. I think the issue is most hidden gems are just hidden rather than mischaracterized.

BG3. Dropped it after 60 hours for a whole load of reasons. The last 20 or so were forced. I feel so out of touch with other gamers right now…

uCzroFS.jpg

Neff

Uncharted 2 is the only game I bought and played which made me think 'what the fuck did everyone else play'

Oh and Silent Hill 2.

Fbh

Most recent for me definitely FFXVI.
I still enjoyed the game but it was nowhere near as good as I hoped.

There was a lot of talk prior to release about how smooth the development has been and how they were really taking the time to polish it up, they even proudly announced it would need no day 1 patch, so I was surprised by how rushed a lot of it felt. The core non filler missions of the main story are great but everything else around it, from sidequests to loot, crafting, economy, exploration, etc is some of the most barebones stuff I've seen in a while.
Te tech side too, nothing about the game looks anywhere near good enough to justify having to drop to 720p to get to 60fps.

The reviews don't make sense to me either. An 87 metascore seems crazy. The game is a 7.5 at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom