• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Cologne 2009 - The Thread

Kinan

Updated the OP with a few more trailers and news, going to bed. :) Have fun. That was a quite a rich evening thanks to Sony. Hopefully tomorrow Microsoft and Konami&co will give us even more things to discuss.

Snaku

Banned
So am I reading it right in the OP that Dragon Ball X will still be shown, even though Games Republic has canceled their appointments?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So I'm finally in the press room, quite difficult to find when you are completely lost in the city. Anyway, we are filming some stuff right now so expect videos within 2 hours.

Kinan

Blimblim said:
So I'm finally in the press room, quite difficult to find when you are completely lost in the city. Anyway, we are filming some stuff right now so expect videos within 2 hours.

Excellent, post or pm links right away so I can add the videos to OP.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
BeeDog said:
I'm not too bothered by poor offscreen footage, I meant content-wise. :D Any glimpses of some good stuff?
Dunno. I'm way busy so I didn't look too hard. But it looks like a new city track.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blimblim said:

Will you be getting any footage of the FFXIV trial? Also, is the press being shown anything new from FFXIII?

duckroll

SolidusDave said:
34ph0ti_th.gif

It's true though. Both the Sony and MS conferences have been worthless at Gamescon, as far as actual gaming content is concerned.

duckroll said:
It's true though. Both the Sony and MS conferences have been worthless at Gamescon, as far as actual gaming content is concerned.

It just seems like the big three aren't ready to treat GC like they do E3 and TGS. But it's getting there at least.

Ashes

Banned
to be fair how often do you get a conferance devoted to a single game like fable 3 was?
but yeah a few new game announcements came outside the press conferances... I think

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:
It just seems like the big three aren't ready to treat GC like they do E3 and TGS. But it's getting there at least.

Well, I think a major problem is the timing. Being sandwiched between E3 and TGS by a month or so on each end leaves little room for major announcements. Western exclusives and major announcements would be made at E3, and Japanese exclusives and major announcements would be saved for TGS. As big as the European market is in terms of consumers, it lacks a distinct identity in terms of being a market for major announcements unfortunately.

Fox1304

xenorevlis said:
This! Although, technically FPS on console is a dual stick game...
Lol true ... but you know what I meant :D
Glad it's Housemarque doing the game, that's nearly 60FPS guaranteed .

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Sorry if this has already been asked a gazzillion times. But what time is the Konami and MS conferences?

UK time please :)

ram

duckroll said:
Well, I think a major problem is the timing. Being sandwiched between E3 and TGS by a month or so on each end leaves little room for major announcements. Western exclusives and major announcements would be made at E3, and Japanese exclusives and major announcements would be saved for TGS. As big as the European market is in terms of consumers, it lacks a distinct identity in terms of being a market for major announcements unfortunately.

you seem to forget, that the gamescom (like the games convention before) is a CONSUMER show. its not about announcing stuff, which is five years in the future. its about getting hands on with stuff, which will be released in the next few months. its about service, price cuts and so on.

and so far sony delivered all the goods.

duckroll

ram said:
you seem to forget, that the gamescom (like the games convention before) is a CONSUMER show. its not about announcing stuff, which is five years in the future. its about getting hands on with stuff, which will be released in the next few months. its about service, price cuts and so on.

and so far sony delivered all the goods.

I like how you're shifting the goal posts to what it's "about" to nicely encapsulate the only things Sony had to talk about at their conference. I'm not forgetting anything. I know exactly what sort of convention it is. Right now at this very moment, people are playing FFXIV at Square Enix's booth that's coming out in 2010. MS just announced a new title for 2010. It's a consumer show but it's also about getting things into the hands of the consumers. A game doesn't have to be announced 5 years in advance. In fact, these days that rarely happens anymore. Titles can be announced, previewed and released within months. There's no reason why a conference would have zero game announcements, aside from the fact that, well, there's nothing to announce. And that itself is a disappointment. :p

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
duckroll said:

Depends on your expectations I guess, I posted that gif more for the reason that the post sounded like the usual "Sony PC total failure etc." complaining while they showed some cool stuff / made big announcements (ok, no new retail games but still it was kinda related to us gamers).

There was pretty much no chance that any non-European developers would present their games (for the first time). Similar to that most Japanese studios will wait for the TGS (which is even closer to GC than to e3). Even the GT5-presentation seems to have been pulled for TGS.
In Addition, I think not many SCEE studios are currently developing actual games (or are ready for presentation).

Though they showed at least more footage of some of the upcoming games (Uncharted 2, Eyepet, Heavy Rain etc.). If you count the outside-PC-announcements at Gamescom, there is Dead Nations (European developer), stuff like water coming to LBP etc.

Edit: just noticing that your are right, if you solely see it from the (retail&core) new-games view. So I wrote too much to prove... nothing :p

Top Bottom