• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Trade-in 6 Games 60% (+10% for Pro Members) Bonus 8/21-9/3

GameStop website is trash right now, can't access my rewards to see the coupon. Is it a coupon everyone was given with a rewards account? Is it just for this weekend?

Yep, the website keeps crashing when I try to access my account information. At least I was able to trade in a PS4 plus about 7 games for a grand total of $355 in credit. Life is good. My goal is to add that to the $185 in credit I already had applied to an XB1X preorder. If that doesn't work I'll cancel the whole thing and use the total credit towards an Amazon GC or just wait it out for preorders to open again.

The hold for gamestop phone customer service is pure torture. :/

Mission complete. Got through to the rep on the phone and my order was updated with new trade in credit. I think I had to pay a total of $8 out of pocket for the X1X. :D

reKon

Banned
I think that their systems are down. Just traded in a bunch of game for $190. Was trying to open up my account information to get the buy 2 get 1 free deal and it wouldn't load. This might screw me over because the 60% deal runs out by 9/3 and I'll be busy tomorrow...

tombo85

Yep, the website keeps crashing when I try to access my account information. At least I was able to trade in a PS4 plus about 7 games for a grand total of $355 in credit. Life is good. My goal is to add that to the $185 in credit I already had applied to an XB1X preorder. If that doesn't work I'll cancel the whole thing and use the total credit towards an Amazon GC or just wait it out for preorders to open again.

The hold for gamestop phone customer service is pure torture. :/
The app won't let me log in either

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Just to be sure, can I use the trade bonus multiple times? I traded in all of my WiiU games last time, and now I want to clear a bit of my 3DS collection.

FaintDeftone

So I just went into the store and traded in 7 games and I didn't get the boost for being a Pro member. Their system kept telling me my card expired in 2015 but I just renewed it this Summer and was previously using it no problem. I'm on the phone with customer support now. I got screwed.

Hero

I forget, is there a limit to the number of times you can trade in the same copy of a console specific version of a game in a period of time?

I think I traded in three different copies of Breath of the Wild during the last Flipageddon and not sure if trading in one now will flag or suspend my account.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'd like to look up trade values on their site but it's down, as usual. This company is fucking trash. I'm going to the store later to unload my gift card balance on PSN/eShop cards or Amazon credit or something. I'm getting out of their ecosystem permanently. Half the time I try to use my gift card online to buy digital codes I just get fucking errors.

Going to trade in all my games reminded me of why I never, ever, shop at GameStop. Worst experience at a retail store I've had in years.

I walk in with a bunch of PS4 games to trade and the guy behind the counter scans them all one by one and is amicable. He talks about how he's finished playing a lot of these games and asks how I like them. Started off pretty pleasant.

He then tells me about the Pro card and he says it will actually *save* me money if I got one with the trade in. So I went ahead and had him ring it up to see how much the trade value would go up. It went up $11, so obviously not enough to cover the cost of the $15 card. I tell him I'd rather not do the card and save the 4 dollars.

Him: "What?" *Gives me a look like I'm an idiot*

Me: "Yeah, it's crazy but I'm going to say no to the Pro card. This will probably be the last trade in I do at GameStop this year."

Him: "You're the first person I've ever seen who would pass on this! My friends and I save hundreds of dollars with this card."

Me: "I know. I appreciate the offer but I think I'll pass."

Him: (he gives a long winded sales pitch of what I get with the Pro card) "You do realize you're basically turning down free money right? You would walk away with more credit if you get the card."

(This was untrue; I watched him ring up the difference in trade credit earlier and it was not more. But he was publicly egging me on so hard that I believed him for a second and agreed to have him ring the card up again. Of course, it was not more credit with the card. I asked him to take the card off again.)

Him: Really?!

Me: Yes, really.

(After he realized he wasn't going to convince me, his tone got a lot colder towards me.)

Him: "Alright. Your loss. Again, you're the first person I've ever seen who would do something like this."

He handed me the card to swipe and I walked out.

Can't wait to use every cent of that store credit to get an Amazon gift card. And good f**king riddance. GameStop can burn for all I care.

Persona7

Banned
So I just went into the store and traded in 7 games and I didn't get the boost for being a Pro member. Their system kept telling me my card expired in 2015 but I just renewed it this Summer and was previously using it no problem. I'm on the phone with customer support now. I got screwed.
You should have made a new account. Once the transaction is completed there is nothing you can do.

Going to trade in all my games reminded me of why I never, ever, shop at GameStop. Worst experience at a retail store I've had in years...

Yeah they're way too pushy.

The guy I had yesterday was a complete dick and either ignoring or giving very short responses to my questions/comments but honestly I couldnt blame him as the store was swamped and he was the only one working. It was a circus.

Either way though it was just another shitty experience at Gamestop. It was all made up for with the credit I got though lol.

Hero

Going to trade in all my games reminded me of why I never, ever, shop at GameStop. Worst experience at a retail store I've had in years.

I walk in with a bunch of PS4 games to trade and the guy behind the counter scans them all one by one and is amicable. He talks about how he's finished playing a lot of these games and asks how I like them. Started off pretty pleasant.

He then tells me about the Pro card and he says it will actually *save* me money if I got one with the trade in. So I went ahead and had him ring it up to see how much the trade value would go up. It went up $11, so obviously not enough to cover the cost of the $15 card. I tell him I'd rather not do the card and save the 4 dollars.

Me: "Yeah, it's crazy but I'm going to say no to the Pro card. This will probably be the last trade in I do at GameStop this year."

Him: "You're the first person I've ever seen who would pass on this! My friends and I save hundreds of dollars with this card."

Him: (he gives a long winded sales pitch of what I get with the Pro card) "You do realize you're basically turning down free money right? You would walk away with more credit if you get the card."

(This was untrue; I watched him ring up the difference in trade credit earlier and it was not more. But he was publicly egging me on so hard that I believed him for a second and agreed to have him ring the card up again. Of course, it was not more credit with the card. I asked him to take the card off again.)

(After he realized he wasn't going to convince me, his tone got a lot colder towards me.)

Him: "Alright. Your loss. Again, you're the first person I've ever seen who would do something like this."

Can't wait to use every cent of that store credit to get an Amazon gift card. And good f**king riddance. GameStop can burn for all I care.

You're totally within your right to say no but it sounds like it would've been far easier to just swallow the four dollar of GameStop Credit to avoid that entire exchange and the anger/frustration you're carrying around.

Nier ($32)
Yakuza 0 ($40)
Cod Advanced Warfare ($3.20)
Persona 5 - ($40)
Black Ops 3 - ($12.80)
Titanfall 2 - ($21.60)
Wolfenstein: TNO - ($19.20)

Total: $168.80

Also, you definitely messed up. PUR Pro gives you an extra 10% TIV credit. I.e. you would've made 16.88 extra for letting them take 15 TIV credit, netting you 1.88 when all is said and done.

kirblar

Nier ($32)
Yakuza 0 ($40)
Persona 5 - ($40)
Black Ops 3 - ($12.80)
Titanfall 2 - ($21.60)

He was correct.

The +10% from the Pro would get you +16.88, of which 15 would cover the PRO, meaning you end up with a net of +1.88 on the trade + the benefits (including the B2G1 free coupon) for the year.

270.08 (without the Pro) and 271.96 (with it)

VeeP

Exactly, I'm with the GameStop guy, you were saying no to free money and benefits.

Gamestop literally tried to save this guy money, offered him a convenient way to trade in games he's finished with for a good price, and is gonna get him an Amazon Gift Card but "Fuck Gamestop they can burn for all I care" smh.

He was correct.

The +10% from the Pro would get you +16.88, of which 15 would cover the PRO, meaning you end up with a net of +1.88 on the trade + the benefits (including the B2G1 free coupon) for the year.

270.08 (without the Pro) and 271.96 (with it)

B2G1 coupon is probably the biggest bonus. You'd also get a decent amount of points, possibly enough for a $5 off coupon. And free Gameinformer subscription but he probably doesn't care about that.

The 10% extra with the pro membership should have covered the card though.

Definitely thought that would've been the case, but when he rang up the bonus I would've gotten from the Pro card, the total only went up to 179 ($11 more). Not sure what happened. And at the end when he had everything rang up with the cost of the card added in, it went down to $162 store credit rather than the 168 I originally had. So I said no and took the 168.

EDIT: I know it probably seems like I deserve the dogpile here but that's exactly how it went down. I have no idea why it didn't actually come out to be more on his register.

Hero

Gamestop literally tried to save this guy money, offered him a convenient way to trade in games he's finished with for a good price, and is gonna get him an Amazon Gift Card but "Fuck Gamestop they can burn for all I care" smh.

If only he had pushed over a magazine rack on the way out. That would've really shown them!

So, Gamestop sells Amazon gift cards? Anything special I need to do for that? This just went from "yeah, pretty awesome deal" to "GIVE IT TO ME NOW".

Edit: Found it earlier in the thread, sorry.

Servbot24

Banned

Hearing a sales pitch is your worst retail experience and you want the store to burn to the ground because of that? I get it's annoying but it shouldn't be that big of a deal, certainly not enough to wish the loss of employment upon thousands of people. Unless he had an angry tone or something like that.

So if i trade in 6 x1 games i get credit regardless of value? Cuz all my games are less then $5 and im not a pro member. Store credit or cash?

Hero

So if i trade in 6 x1 games i get credit regardless of value? Cuz all my games are less then $5 and im not a pro member. Store credit or cash?

Bonus only applies to store credit.

Why are you even bothering if you only have games that are less than 5 dollars?

ResoRai

Man, i'm glad the people who work at the Gamestop near me are cool. Dude sounds like a douche. There's this woman who works there I usually see who always talks fast and has the sales pitches down and what-not, but even so she's always been cool when I talk to her.

That’s actually a decent idea - been regreting going physical on the switch.

Me too. I have no shortage of used game alternatives to GameStop, so if I ever want to have the collection again then I can go pick stuff up. I was hoping for the absurd 38.50 from last time around, but it looks like that won't be the case. Either way I'm most likey converting my collection to digital. Less hassle and I don't have to worry about my son losing my games.

I did end up going Pro for $4, I'll use the next B2G1 coupon I receive and that will make it worthwhile even if I don't use it for anything else this year.

Nier ($32)
Yakuza 0 ($40)
Persona 5 - ($40)
Black Ops 3 - ($12.80)
Titanfall 2 - ($21.60)

Also, you definitely messed up. PUR Pro gives you an extra 10% TIV credit. I.e. you would've made 16.88 extra for letting them take 15 TIV credit, netting you 1.88 when all is said and done.

Definitely thought that would've been the case, but when he rang up the bonus I would've gotten from the Pro card, the total only went up to 179 ($11 more). Not sure what happened. And at the end when he had everything rang up with the cost of the card added in, it went down to $162 store credit rather than the 168 I originally had. So I said no and took the 168.

EDIT: I know it probably seems like I deserve the dogpile here but that's exactly how it went down. I have no idea why it didn't actually come out to be more on his register.

The 10% pro is applied to the base price and does not include the promotional 60%. Essentially pro members get 70% extra from the base price with this deal.

Base price for those games would total to $105.50. The 60% promotion would add $63.30 and the pro 10% would add an additional $10.55 for a total of $179.35. So the amount you saw was right.

FaintDeftone

You should have made a new account. Once the transaction is completed there is nothing you can do.

That's not true. I called customer support and they verified that I do indeed have a Pro account. So I had to go back to the store and the manager post voided my transaction, re-rang everything up and got my account to pull. He even boosted my credit with a couple of those bonus cards for my trouble.

I guess their system was on the fritz all day long. If they knew that already, I don't know why they denied my transaction of a Pro membership attached to it. I wasn't the only one this happened to.

Oh well. I got Destiny 2 preordered and snagged Mario + Rabbids and only had to pay $6 out of pocket.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How do I turn this "trade in cash" card into an amazon gc? Just dumped a bunch of old stuff and it feels good as hell to have the space back tbh.

Top Bottom