• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Only problem with the update for me is that before with the random gnasher I at least had a slim chance of winning a duel!

Now i have little to zero chance, lol.

I'm so bad at this game but I do love it so.

leeh

I see overly positive comments for the Gnasher, but to me it seems like hip firing is nerfed, LR snapping is inconsistent (sometime 3 shots when someone is down to kill them) and it just doesn't feel right compared.

Not a fan of this update.

shoreu

There are a lot of 2-piecers in the game now, from what I have been noticing.

Yeah, it's trash man. I'm noticing their can be some dead space between you and the meleer and you'll still be hit. and people aren't always getting the stun like they should.

Meleeing has to be punished more often lol.

Montresor

72.5 hours in and I'm finally done with the game. What an awesome ride. Campaign and multiplayer were both top notch.

I got 1160/1250 gamerscore and 53/56 achievements. I'm maxed out now. The three achievements I won't get (or attempt) are: "Reach Level 100 and reup", and "Kill 10k in ranked", and "Win 25 2v2 Gnasher matches".

This is one of the best games on XB1 and I'm really looking forward to Gears 4.

CrewShadow

Does anyone know how to set the spawn spot you get before the match starts? There was one guy on our team picking his spot before anyone else got a spot. He always got front spawn, grabbed the power wespons and did nothing with them.

Eos

Does anyone know how to set the spawn spot you get before the match starts? There was one guy on our team picking his spot before anyone else got a spot. He always got front spawn, grabbed the power wespons and did nothing with them.

Was he playing with a guest?

I'm fighting against the Brumak right now and I'm almost at my wit's fucking end.

Dom goes down within the first five seconds. Them I'm left to deal with it, and any time I go to try and save him I'm dead by the time I get halfway there.

I've gotten to the point where I can shoot the pilot once, but otherwise I die long before then. 10+ tries thus far and it's straight up pissing me off.

Any tips from anyone?

Montresor

I'm fighting against the Brumak right now and I'm almost at my wit's fucking end.

Dom goes down within the first five seconds. Them I'm left to deal with it, and any time I go to try and save him I'm dead by the time I get halfway there.

I've gotten to the point where I can shoot the pilot once, but otherwise I die long before then. 10+ tries thus far and it's straight up pissing me off.

Any tips from anyone?

Hit me up on XBL right now bruv and I can help you. I'm watching Life Is Strange Twitch streams right now, just woke up. I wouldn't mind helping a fellow gaffer with the campaign.

When I did this with my brother in split-screen co-op (both of us on insane) it wasn't too bad. I remember both of us being sure to get behind one of the huge fallen concrete pillars and playing "ring-around-the-rosey" with the brumak + the pillar.

edit: Now that I think of it I don't think the singe player campaign has any co-op drop-in implemented, so I probably can't just drop into your campaign... I never did this solo - I just know in co-op both players playing "ring-around-the-rosey" with a pillar is what worked.

Hit me up on XBL right now bruv and I can help you. I'm watching Life Is Strange Twitch streams right now, just woke up. I wouldn't mind helping a fellow gaffer with the campaign.

When I did this with my brother in split-screen co-op (both of us on insane) it wasn't too bad. I remember both of us being sure to get behind one of the huge fallen concrete pillars and playing "ring-around-the-rosey" with the brumak + the pillar.

edit: Now that I think of it I don't think the singe player campaign has any co-op drop-in implemented, so I probably can't just drop into your campaign... I never did this solo - I just know in co-op both players playing "ring-around-the-rosey" with a pillar is what worked.

I finally ended up doing it by myself. Probably took 15 or 16 tries. Thanks for the offer though.

This game walks the fine line between frustrating and fun so many times. So satisfying though.

Montresor

I finally ended up doing it by myself. Probably took 15 or 16 tries. Thanks for the offer though.

This game walks the fine line between frustrating and fun so many times. So satisfying though.

When I was doing co-op on insane with my brother, we felt everything was very fair except for that theatre sequence in Act 5. We felt that part was pure bullshit. One time we killed everyone in the theatre, then when I was walking through the kitchen/pantry area, a random stray Wretch killed me and we had to restart the whole damn theatre sequence back to the part with the corpser... >_<

When I was doing co-op on insane with my brother, we felt everything was very fair except for that theatre sequence in Act 5. We felt that part was pure bullshit. One time we killed everyone in the theatre, then when I was walking through the kitchen/pantry area, a random stray Wretch killed me and we had to restart the whole damn theatre sequence back to the part with the corpser... >_<

I'm just doing a solo hardcore right now, and aside from this instance with the Brumak and the Imulsion station with all the Theron Guards I have not had any trouble.

Not sure if/how/when I am going to tackle Insane haha

TaterTots

Banned
I forgot about this thread lol. I've stated the shotgun is better, but it is still wonky. The other day someone was picking up the Boom and I shot them point blank in the face. Nothing happened. He fired the Boom shot and killed himself while I was put down.

There are still instances of shooting someone twice only for them to turn around and kill me in 1 shot.

I think game connection quality has gotten worse. Must be on XBL's end or something. On saturday the grenades kept going off before the beeping was done, the whole lobby was complaining about it afterwards. It was Escalation so there was like 8 grenade spawns.

Draconian

I think game connection quality has gotten worse. Must be on XBL's end or something. On saturday the grenades kept going off before the beeping was done, the whole lobby was complaining about it afterwards. It was Escalation so there was like 8 grenade spawns.

Just had this happen to me too. The grenades in general are awful, and this makes them even worse.

TaterTots

Banned

I experienced this a few times today. I love Gears and I like to do well, but it's quickly becoming laughable. The inconsistencies are atrocious.

Nothing in this game should be random. Shooting someone 2-3 times only for them to turn around and one shot or two piece you to death is unacceptable.

Whaaaaat the fuck I just had the greatest game of my life and I lost the recording because it only saves 30 damn seconds if you do the X button thing.

This is on Courtyard or whatever. We were down a round in TDM, I clutch the shit out of the second round. Kill like 6 guys by myself. Guerrilla style. I'm like 9 and 8 or something. The next round starts and I rush sniper but instead of keeping it up top I flank with it. Bodies are dropping, heads are disappearing. I racked up at least 7 head shots in a row, just dropping fools. The last guy is running and I just blast him in the back of the head like if Christoph Waltz would have shot Shoshanna in Inglorious Basterds. Au revoir bitch. I end the game 22 and 8. I go to record and I'm in PlayStation mode so I double tap Home, press X and go to the Upload Studio and what the fuck only 30 seconds saved. I quickly remember what to do, snap the ever, record last 5 minutes, should be enough to get the last round. What the fuck. Records 7 seconds. I'm selling my Xbox.

jk I love Gears and I am so amped up after that game

But serious 30 seconds what the fuck. I want 15 minutes. That's enough leeway in case you forgot. 5 minutes is way too short.

Bread

Banned
Whaaaaat the fuck I just had the greatest game of my life and I lost the recording because it only saves 30 damn seconds if you do the X button thing.

This is on Courtyard or whatever. We were down a round in TDM, I clutch the shit out of the second round. Kill like 6 guys by myself. Guerrilla style. I'm like 9 and 8 or something. The next round starts and I rush sniper but instead of keeping it up top I flank with it. Bodies are dropping, heads are disappearing. I racked up at least 7 head shots in a row, just dropping fools. The last guy is running and I just blast him in the back of the head like if Christoph Waltz would have shot Shoshanna in Inglorious Basterds. Au revoir bitch. I end the game 22 and 8. I go to record and I'm in PlayStation mode so I double tap Home, press X and go to the Upload Studio and what the fuck only 30 seconds saved. I quickly remember what to do, snap the ever, record last 5 minutes, should be enough to get the last round. What the fuck. Records 7 seconds. I'm selling my Xbox.

jk I love Gears and I am so amped up after that game

But serious 30 seconds what the fuck. I want 15 minutes. That's enough leeway in case you forgot. 5 minutes is way too short.
giphy.gif

Eanan

As a Gears player since day one back in 06, the two piecing makes me rage more than anything in video games. Reminds me of Judgment. Also I often go into shotgun battles with people and they just go around strafing against me swinging for the fences. Get caught once and it's game over usually as the stun seems to be a split second longer than the animation to beat down.

shoreu

As a Gears player since day one back in 06, the two piecing makes me rage more than anything in video games. Reminds me of Judgment. Also I often go into shotgun battles with people and they just go around strafing against me swinging for the fences. Get caught once and it's game over usually as the stun seems to be a split second longer than the animation to beat down.

Yeah I agree, if you two piece your a scrub.

As somebody who wasn't a huge fan of original Gears of War I'm pleasantly surprised by this. It finally has color!!! And controls are much smoother thanks to improved performance.

Still have no idea how people could think that original game was amazing....

Lothars

As somebody who wasn't a huge fan of original Gears of War I'm pleasantly surprised by this. It finally has color!!! And controls are much smoother thanks to improved performance.

Still have no idea how people could think that original game was amazing....
The original game is amazing at the time and is pretty incredible but I am of the opinion it hasn't aged well at all. I was completely dissapointed with how this one turned out.

Back in 06 it was mind blowing, not just the graphics but the addictive massivley popular online multiplayer. It's a classic game.
Agreed

BizzyBum

Man, I am so bad at this game online. I was pretty decent at 3 but I cannot do anything in this. The gnasher even with the recent fix still feels like I'm shooting blanks at people when to me it looks like I lined them up perfectly.

Finished my insane solo run. Now ready to jump into multiplayer. The original gears online was my jam back in 06 but I got dusted in the beta and dont expect to fare any better now lol. Will probably take a bit to come to grips again. Gt is il DiavoloV if anybody wants to group up and carry my ass.

angelic

Banned
Man, I am so bad at this game online. I was pretty decent at 3 but I cannot do anything in this. The gnasher even with the recent fix still feels like I'm shooting blanks at people when to me it looks like I lined them up perfectly.

super rant - apologies in advance

this times 100. been playing since launch, experienced gears 1,2,3 (not judgement) player, i cannot for the life of me work out how it wants me to play this, it feels like everyone has some magic technique that i just dont know.

im being one-shotted when im on cover, downed from 10 metres by a shotgun, turned full red and put down by 5 pistol shots, sniper headshotted in the middle of rolls, i shoot at a man in cover behind a wall clearly visible but the collision sees "wall" where its clearly not - yet i die in cover where im not visible to others

but my main bugbear, even worse than my bullets doing nothing is just how clumsy it all is, you have to memorise every single piece of cover because the rules dont apply half the time, some scenery lets you snap to it from 2 metres away while some dont at all, pressing direction + roll while snapped in some places does a beautiful pirouette onto the next piece of cover, while some just do a standard roll, and a few even do absolutely nothing, you stay locked to it because its a fountain with a tiny bit of extra geometry detail on the end that you cant move past.

the game is just clumsy, active reload sucks worse than ever, i dont trust these dedicated servers because the game feels like p2p still (ive got a great connection its not me). youre basically aiming with a system that gives you no reticle, if you pop shot it makes no difference, hard aiming makes you a walking target, youre supposed to lead your shots because your client xbox is showing you something different to the server, while others can down you from miles away with a single shotgun.

please dont say "git gud", im quite good and trying to get better, but theres no consistency in the rules to get good with, and theres no analytical data to even check for it, like how much each shotgun pellet does damage. game is still great in concept and i keep playing it but its an exercise in frustration. and wow you should read the gamefaqs forum, if you use a lancer youre a noob, active reloads youre a noob, melee or chainsaw = noob, everything except shotgun means you suck.

oh and playing ranked, your team almost always instantly quits on you, i dont because it fines you ranking points, but really, when im 2 v 4 on king of the hill, the other team inevitably smoke tags and "rapes" me for every kill. like - really? gears is a game where you really cant win on your own vs 4 people, the fire rate is so slow you just cant attack them all quickly enough - so you get molested, every time.

i would love to go along to microsoft studios or the coalition one time and say hey guys, lets see your game. fire it up on ranked KOTH, show them the magic bullets, shooting into nothing, quitters, gang smoke rapes, hateful PMs after matches. you dont see that stuff on their jump in TV ads.

Top Bottom