• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

SegaManAU

Gold Member
NAT is open.

I'm in Australia so probably not as many people playing as in the U.S. But reading the Gears of War forums, people all over are struggling to find games.

Dibils2k

i love the game but the wait between matches is too much (even when you find players) and i gave up on it. i spend more time in lobbies and looking at countdowns than i would like. the fact teams dont switch around also means any team that got dominated instantly leave as it will just happen again meaning the game has to find bunch of new players again

gears 3 social was perfect, the way it was just back to back games, no waiting, just map loading. KOTH also had 3 rounds which made for longer matchtime before having to change map

i will wait for gears 3 backward compatibility now and hope going back to 30fps isnt jarring lol i am so sad they couldnt get the same lobby system as gears 3 :( would be so perfect

E92 M3

2 months in and the game is dead.

Can't find a game online now! Makes me sad.

Why are you surprised? It's very unfortunate, but I saw it coming from a mile away. There are too many shooters out right now. Destiny, Halo and Blacks Ops will eat up tons of the LIVE population.

Seems like Gears is too hard for most people.

Draconian

Why are you surprised? It's very unfortunate, but I saw it coming from a mile away. There are too many shooters out right now. Destiny, Halo and Blacks Ops will eat up tons of the LIVE population.

Seems like Gears is too hard for most people.

As a fan of the series, the game isn't good enough for people to stick around and keep playing it. 60 fps is nice, but the game is too inconsistent to keep anybody outside of the loyal fanbase around.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
2 months in and the game is dead.

Can't find a game online now! Makes me sad.

We aren't noticing any matchmaking time increases on our end. In fact, over the past weekend the average wait time was reduced. Typically it will try to search for a group near your skill level in your area before expanding out.

Draconian

i love the game but the wait between matches is too much (even when you find players) and i gave up on it. i spend more time in lobbies and looking at countdowns than i would like. the fact teams dont switch around also means any team that got dominated instantly leave as it will just happen again meaning the game has to find bunch of new players again

gears 3 social was perfect, the way it was just back to back games, no waiting, just map loading. KOTH also had 3 rounds which made for longer matchtime before having to change map

i will wait for gears 3 backward compatibility now and hope going back to 30fps isnt jarring lol i am so sad they couldnt get the same lobby system as gears 3 :( would be so perfect

I don't think I can go back to 30 fps at this point. UE isn't perfect, but it's smooth and a lot of fun (if you don't get stuck in a lobby against a team of pros that is). I feel like the older games would just feel clunky now.

Eanan

Played with some casual newbies to the series over the last few days online. They all had similar complaints that made them eventually want to turn it off and turn on FIFA etc

They were:

Two piercing/ double beat down
Inconsistent shooting
Sticky/buggy walls when going for cover
Slowwwwwww wait and load times
Grenade explosion radius being two big

I pray these are ironed out for gears 4. The game needs casual players also.

allan-bh

Played with some casual newbies to the series over the last few days online. They all had similar complaints that made them eventually want to turn it off and turn on FIFA etc

They were:

Inconsistent shooting

Gears Ultimate is indeed very unfriendly for people that aren't big fans.

Draconian

Connection issues make this game a joke. The grenades are already terrible, but having them instantly explode upon hitting the ground makes me want to just quit playing.

I haven't been playing this game much lately, what's up with the playlists? Is this another case of them narrowing down the playlists because the player base is shrinking? I was hoping for so fun KotH matches tonight, not blitz.

Coalition-PezRadar

I haven't been playing this game much lately, what's up with the playlists? Is this another case of them narrowing down the playlists because the player base is shrinking? I was hoping for so fun KotH matches tonight, not blitz.

We narrowed playlists down to focus on more of the more popular modes. Blitz was more popular than KOTH and so we kept that in to have 1 ring mode in the main playlists. KOTH will still appear in special event playlists.

We are keeping this for now but are actively looking over players and where they prefer to have modes for future changes to the playlist. We will be updating it fairly regularly.

We narrowed playlists down to focus on more of the more popular modes. Blitz was more popular than KOTH and so we kept that in to have 1 ring mode in the main playlists. KOTH will still appear in special event playlists.

We are keeping this for now but are actively looking over players and where they prefer to have modes for future changes to the playlist. We will be updating it fairly regularly.
I kind of figured. I hope Gears 4's playlists are more consistent. I can understand it being difficult to gauge player population in different game modes, but it can also get frustrating when they are constantly changing.

Coalition-PezRadar

I kind of figured. I hope Gears 4's playlists are more consistent. I can understand it being difficult to gauge player population in different game modes, but it can also get frustrating when they are constantly changing.
Agreed. We also want to keep it fresh with new and different ways of playing. UE has a lot of modes and some just aren't popular. Assassination is a good example and it only obtained a little over 2.5% of all our matches.

Gears of War is undoubtedly the most skill-based game in the series.

I was a wrecking machine in Gears 3 but you had far more tools to abuse - I could get into the low 20s in TDM and even managed to bag the 25 kills in a row medal a few times.

Now, I'll be chuffed if I can get more than 10 and that's not because I'm much worse but because kill times are longer and the game is more Gnasher-centric.

And as every Gears of War player knows, the Gnasher can be a cruel mistress and even though it has always been my best weapon there's an inherent risk in putting yourself in that situation.

Rifles in Gears 3 were monsters and valuable killing tools, in UE they can be but it takes more work and their use is more situational.

Boomshots were mini nukes, in UE you are more likely to get a down than anything.

I think the truth is I'm just not as good as I was either. I'm still competitive but not truly great anymore.

If I had to put my finger on something else that has had an impact on me it would sound. Whether it be the sound of footsteps or of a grenade drop, I struggle to hear it.

However, as an 06 player I will say it has been an interesting experience going back after Gears 3.

Gridlock is a good example.

In Gears 3, you'd start with a retro, or a lancer with a headshot multiplier, pick up inks, score cheap kills at the sniper spawn or maybe just ignore it all together and get the three-round Boomshot which is by far the best weapon in the game.

Due to its blast radius and damage, losing sniper spawn wasn't a big deal - you could take it back by force very quickly.

Inks also gave you a free attempt at taking the spawn back.

In UE it's all about that rush to the sniper and once a good team gets up there they are hard to get out. In the beta I started by going to get boom but I slowly started to realise if my team lost sniper it would be an uphill battle to get back in the match.

I think Gears 3 is a better game but UE is undoubtedly more pure Gears.

Yeah the boo shot is probably my least favorite weapon across Gears. I prefer the digger as it is still explosive but more skill based. One thing that makes Gears 3 TDM more kill friendly is the 5v5 plus 15 respawns.

About the sound their might be a bug where grenades only beep once before exploding. It's definitely happened on Escalation. I think UE has really helped me with my Gnasher game so I look forward to wrecking fools in Gears 4. Also I need my semi auto Hammerburst back.

Agreed. We also want to keep it fresh with new and different ways of playing. UE has a lot of modes and some just aren't popular. Assassination is a good example and it only obtained a little over 2.5% of all our matches.

Yeah, something like keeping a consistent and small enough sized number of playlists while adding some for special events only is a good way of approaching it (I assume that's what you implied you guys are trying with UE now).

Is gears worth jumping in as a newer player? I skipped it in lieu of halo in my youth and I sold my original code. Got the white Xbox and it has another, tempted to use it, but wondering about population and such. From what little I read, I may be outclassed by many of the vets?

BizzyBum

Is gears worth jumping in as a newer player? I skipped it in lieu of halo in my youth and I sold my original code. Got the white Xbox and it has another, tempted to use it, but wondering about population and such. From what little I read, I may be outclassed by many of the vets?

It's worth it for the campaign alone. As for the MP, you're probably going to get smoked. lol

Draconian

It's a pretty hard game to get into unless you stick with it and have friends to play with.

Damn, got the game yesterday and just finished playing through Act 1. They did a REALLY good job with this project. The game looks just as I remember it in my minds eye, despite the fact the original looks nothing like that anymore haha. They managed to modernise all the visuals without losing any of the atmosphere or flavour of the gears universe (so far). The campaign just holds up really well which makes a big difference too. Backwards compatibility will be awesome and all but money is on the table from me for this kind of treatment on the other games in the series. Big thumbs up.

Also, I am still soso bad at gears competitive haha, I like they brought it back wholly intact for fans who were there from the start, but I kind of hope gears 4 will find a way to open the game back up and find something new everyone has to master from scratch, so that everyone is on a level playing field again.

I know I'm very late with entering the debate, but I think Gears Ultimate SP looks much worse than Gears '06. Yes, the IQ is better, yes the textures are higher res and the character models are more detailled. But in the transition to the ultimate edition, it feels as if TheC didn't know what made Gears' atmosphere great.

The lack of clarity in Gears added a lot to the atmosphere. I don't like that I can see more in Gears Ultimate because. There is a specific section where this has a huge impact:

In Belly of the Beast, you clearly see a Wretch screaching on top of the pipes when you just start the mission. In the original, it was a shodow, uncreal what it really was. Then you see a couple of Wretches running at you in Ultimate Edition. In the original, again these were shadows and you were like "wtf is that".

leeh

They were:

Inconsistent shooting

I totally understand what you mean, I've just got a feeling it's going to go too much on the casual side.

Please don't ruin Gears Coalition. The game is the bees knees competitively.

SpacLock

Don't touch the MP if you're brand new. I will personally find you.

I haven't been playing since I heard they took out King of The Hill. That's the only mode I play.

Kssio_Aug

I did it, and I can tell you that yeah, it is worth it!!

Already finished the campaign (on normal though) playing constantly in coop, and can't wait to play Gears 2, 3 and Judgement that we will get for free since we bought Gears UE before the end of this year.

Played some matches already and I actually had fun with it! Stopped playing cause Halo 5 MP got my attention, but soon I intend to go back balancing between one and another!

Population is totally fine! :)

leeh

Don't touch the MP if you're brand new. I will personally find you.

I haven't been playing since I heard they took out King of The Hill. That's the only mode I play.
Can anyone confirm this? Me and my mates will be livid if this has happened. We haven't touched it since H5 but I can imagine us going back.

SpacLock

I did it, and I can tell you that yeah, it is worth it!!

Already finished the campaign (on normal though) playing constantly in coop, and can't wait to play Gears 2, 3 and Judgement that we will get for free since we bought Gears UE before the end of this year.

Played some matches already and I actually had fun with it! Stopped playing cause Halo 5 MP got my attention, but soon I intend to go back balancing between one and another!

Population is totally fine! :)

This. Never once had a problem finding a game, and I've easily played between 200-300 games.

LUXURY

NAT is open.

I'm in Australia so probably not as many people playing as in the U.S. But reading the Gears of War forums, people all over are struggling to find games.

Mmm I never ever struggle to find a game. I'm in one within a minute each time I search for one.

I know I'm very late with entering the debate, but I think Gears Ultimate SP looks much worse than Gears '06. Yes, the IQ is better, yes the textures are higher res and the character models are more detailled. But in the transition to the ultimate edition, it feels as if TheC didn't know what made Gears' atmosphere great.

The lack of clarity in Gears added a lot to the atmosphere. I don't like that I can see more in Gears Ultimate because. There is a specific section where this has a huge impact:

In Belly of the Beast, you clearly see a Wretch screaching on top of the pipes when you just start the mission. In the original, it was a shodow, uncreal what it really was. Then you see a couple of Wretches running at you in Ultimate Edition. In the original, again these were shadows and you were like "wtf is that".

Well, only on the first act right now so I can't speak to that specific example yet, and I do think act 3 will be the clincher for me on whether they nailed it or not, but certainly as of now I couldn't agree less from what I've seen. I think they really get it. They could have lightened the game up, made it more in line with gears 3 or to be more similar to modern games out right now or whatever, but imo they've stayed true to atmosphere of the original game artistically. Talking about preference of lack of clarity on a project that was undertaken to clear the original up due to it's age, I don't know. Is your critique about an artistic decision or the technical changes? You mention a bit of both. Sure it's crisper and you can make stuff out more, but the lighting has been upgraded too and like I said, I think an artistic choice to keep the original mode etc is there. I'll be able to judge when I get there.

No bother finding a game on my end either btw. I got smashed, but when I booted up the online yesterday it matchmade quick.

greektony

Banned
I had issues about a week ago trying to get in a game. Was jumping around lobbies for about 30 minutes and just gave up and played Halo 5.

Gears games have been my go to for mp ever since the launch of the first one. Its sad to see the population dwindling by so much already

Kssio_Aug

I wanst aware that people are having issues finding games in Gears UE!

I live in Brazil, so I'm sure if it was a population issue I would have problems. I played some good ammount of matches though (one week before Halo 5 release) and got into them pretty fast!

Not sure how is it after Halo 5 though!

OBias

Are there any news on the promised PC release? I would like to get the release date before the end of the year.

LUXURY

Connection issues make this game a joke. The grenades are already terrible, but having them instantly explode upon hitting the ground makes me want to just quit playing.

They are stupid. I throw one and no matter what people seem to get out of them. They fucking throw one at me no matter what I do whether it be run, roll, wall slide, I get blown up. It's really annoying because some of them I know were no where near me.

They are stupid. I throw one and no matter what people seem to get out of them. They fucking throw one at me no matter what I do whether it be run, roll, wall slide, I get blown up. It's really annoying because some of them I know were no where near me.
At least in the OG Gears 1, the blast radius can be tempered by objects as well as other enemies/friends in the way. Also, getting against a wall can help a lot (as far as not dying).

How did you beat him on Insane by yourself?

The torque bow, sniper rifle and grenades are your best friends in the Raam fight.

Unload all your torques into him as quick as you can. Once you've ran out, he'll have probably moved from the side of the train (he will go to a random side at the start) to the centre in front of the piece of cover where he begins the fight.

At this point, throw all four of your grenades at his feet and switch to the sniper and get as many hits in as you can.

Now, it's case of making the most of every time he sends his kyrll at you by bling firing or pop shot-ing him with the sniper.

He will slowly make his way towards you at which point the make or break moment of the fight happens - you have to move from one end of the train to the other.

The good news is there's plenty of cover, the bad news is he will kill you in a second if you get caught.

My advice is to make the move after he's finished a prolonged period of firing as you actually have a bit more time than you think to make it to the other end.

Then it's just a case of taking your chances.

In the end I had to make my way back to the other side of the train again... more surprisingly I made it ha

Edwardo

I've been finding matches pretty quick, but if people leave after the game ends it will always take a long time to full back up. At least in competitive execution.

Apparently they saw more people playing Blitz so they nixed KoTH in their recent playlist consolidation.

Totally killed the game for me.
It makes sense to keep the more popular mode of course.

But god damn I've spent way too much time over the years playing KOTH. King is Gears to me, plain and simple.

Gears 1 was Execution.
Gears 2 was KOTH
Gears 3 was KOTH
Gears UE, since launch, until Halo 5 came out, was KOTH.

Really disappointing.

I never had any problems finding games in Gears remastered.

Control inputs and cover is a little buggy though, some things just do not click with me the way Gears 3 did but still the game is super fun and an awesome multiplayer game.

I hope they make Gears 4 a little more welcoming for new players as it needs to be big !

Omega

Banned
I doubt it but does anyone have a Savage Grenadier preorder code?

kind of amazed this isn't available to be purchased now. game came out months ago..

Yeah the boo shot is probably my least favorite weapon across Gears. I prefer the digger as it is still explosive but more skill based. One thing that makes Gears 3 TDM more kill friendly is the 5v5 plus 15 respawns.

About the sound their might be a bug where grenades only beep once before exploding. It's definitely happened on Escalation. I think UE has really helped me with my Gnasher game so I look forward to wrecking fools in Gears 4. Also I need my semi auto Hammerburst back.

I can't wait to play both Gears of War 2 and 3 when we get them next month - I think we will appreciate the refinements they both bring... but miss the simplicity of the original at the same time.

There is a reason the original is so cherished. It might not be the smoothest but it has a kind of intangible quality that makes it so special.

Since I last posted I bought a headset, the official "wireless" one from Microsoft, and have been able to hear a lot more.

I still think the sound mix is a little odd as sometimes I can hear people who are above and to the side of me very clearly but overall the headset has helped.

Pushed my K/D up to 2.58 now from the aforementioned 2.32 so happy days.

As for games, I'm finding plenty.

Finally "Jumped in". Sucks that I can't play on maps from the later games :/. I would pay money to play on River or Hotel.

How busy is the Gears 3 community? Are the DS still up?

SegaManAU

Gold Member
We aren't noticing any matchmaking time increases on our end. In fact, over the past weekend the average wait time was reduced. Typically it will try to search for a group near your skill level in your area before expanding out.

Well it's definitely been the opposite for me. I've honestly waited 25+ minutes to find games over the last 3 days.

I usually just browse facebook on my mobile until a game is found. Spoke to a few people on my friends list and they have all said the same thing. Disappointed.

DedValve

Banned
Im mad about the lack of playmodes. Wheres any variation of leader playlists like assassination?

That said 60fps is so good.there a list of all the characters? Im hoping bernie and tai are in.

Top Bottom