• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Eanan

Is this game worth buying now, or pretty much dead online?

Its nowhere near dead and wont be even close to dying until Gears 4 is in full swing around the start of 2017. Gears has a very dedicated and hardcore fanbase so this will keep them going until then, but its quite brutal and off putting for newbies, I wont lie, even though im a day one player since '06.

Not to mention it has a super single player/co-op campaign also included.

Kssio_Aug

Two doubts:

1) If I host or join a campaing co-op, people can listen me if I'm using kinect or a a headset?
I ask this cause sometimes I play using skype and I don't want people listening to my conversation. lol

2) When I will be able to download Gears of War 1 for X360? I heard I would be able to access them all for free.

Montresor

Just popping in to say this was probably my favourite game that I've played this gen. This was an excellent remaster from top to bottom - it reignited my passion for Gears campaign AND multiplayer. I love the Gnasher, wall-bouncing, roadie running, Locust grunts, Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird, General Raam, the chainsaw, the big campaign.

The ONLY thing that was a negative for me is campaign music was sometimes glitched and cuts out in rare situations - I don't know if that's a known bug or not. Hopefully that gets fixed by The Coalition.

pizzacat

Banned
Two doubts:

1) If I host or join a campaing co-op, people can listen me if I'm using kinect or a a headset?
I ask this cause sometimes I play using skype and I don't want people listening to my conversation. lol

2) When I will be able to download Gears of War 1 for X360? I heard I would be able to access them all for free.
1) yea
2) should be when everything is public but I owns gears digitally before and had it downloaded before this came out. So I guess they're waiting to give people the licenses when everything is public

Center screen aiming still bothers me. I also think it changes to barrel aiming when you're too close to an enemy which is like the wrong way to do it in a high skill shooter like this. I'm definitely more excited for Gears 4 after this. I assume the beta is in the spring like Gears 3's.

pizzacat

Banned
Center screen aiming still bothers me. I also think it changes to barrel aiming when you're too close to an enemy which is like the wrong way to do it in a high skill shooter like this. I'm definitely more excited for Gears 4 after this. I assume the beta is in the spring like Gears 3's.
I'm expecting it to be like around this time next year, all gears came out around this time except for judgment, hopefully the beta runs as long as gears 3 did. It was incredible

E92 M3

why would it be dead? I can find games no problem.

Tons of competition and a limited population pool. Thanks for the feedback.

Its nowhere near dead and wont be even close to dying until Gears 4 is in full swing around the start of 2017. Gears has a very dedicated and hardcore fanbase so this will keep them going until then, but its quite brutal and off putting for newbies, I wont lie, even though im a day one player since '06.

Not to mention it has a super single player/co-op campaign also included.

That's good; I played the games a ton back in the day.

nOoblet16

Man I really dislike how inaccurate the damage marker is in this game, let's say you take 10 shots from the lancer but you only have a faint skull on screen and then the 13th shot abruptly completes the skull and you are down.

It's not gradual like in other Gears games and it's very offputting because it's pretty much the only way to tell that you are getting hit since characters don't really react to being shot a

LUXURY

Okkkkkkkay. What is the issue. I bought gun skins and they installed. Went to use them and they don't show up. Uninstalled them, went to reinstall and now it's just stuck on Queue - 0%. Can't stop it, can't remove it. I'm in the new dashboard beta so I'm guessing that's more to blame.

Finished off my solo insane run today. Raam was a nightmare (and I refuse to manipulate his movement).

Still a wonderful game, though admittedly a bit simple judged against its bigger, better and more badass sequels - for better or worse.

It is a testament to the timeless appeal of great game feel and good solid design. Going in and out of cover is still as fun as it ever was and utilising the games weaponry is still a blast.

Playing through the Uncharted collection makes me wish Gears was getting the same treatment...

... it also solidified my opinion that, despite coming out a year later, Drake's Fortune is not in the same league as the original Gears.

TaterTots

Banned
Center screen aiming is something I'm struggling with. I am so use from aiming with the barrel. Either way, I will probably play this and Gears 3 until 4.

I miss the wall cancel too. Also it seems when you are too close to an enemy it barrel shoots. That's what gets me. I can deal if it's consistent but when it changes mid fight, makes me want to break my controller.

Kssio_Aug

Both the physical AND digital releases of the standard Gears Ultimate Edition, will have free access to the X360 games, right?

Hard-aim is king in this game (and Gears of War 2).

Still, this game has definitely got me hyped for Gears of War 4.

And yes Kssio, both physical and digital versions will grant you access to the rest of the series.

We should get some groups together for coop when the other games hit.

Same.

I remember picking up Gears of War 3 at midnight and completing it in one sitting... which was probably a bad idea as its the longest, most dense campaign of the lot.

Still have a soft spot for Gears of War 2. It was a huge leap from the original.

But yeah I'm always up for more Gears.

Kssio_Aug

And yes Kssio, both physical and digital versions will grant you access to the rest of the series.

I'm a total newbie on Gears of War. Never owned an X360 before, so it's basically my fisrt time playing it with Ultimate Edition.

But yeah, I'd love to play some coop aswell! And is for the coop campaing I'm excited to play all the games. Am loving to play it on the remake!

Kssio_Aug

So any word on when they'll let us download 2 - Judgement?

It seems to be as soon as bacwards compatibility reaches everyone. And that means when NXOE reaches general public. So, november for those who already own the games (and it seems they intend to deliver it for free for those who don't in December).

nowarning

Yeah there's no issues finding a game.

I hadn't played Gears since about 2012/3 until I picked it up the other week, getting it handed to me is so frustrating haha. I get some good gnasher kills here and there and generally pull even at the end but it's super annoying only getting into games with high rank guys, KOTH games where my team don't go for the point etc. Just gotta get good I guess.

Nosgotham

How active is this game? Just bought an Xbox One bundle with this game.

This game is like a little over a month old and it's an active current bundle. New people are playing every day and there's a mix of really good and really bad players

Kssio_Aug

Is the game running on dedicated servers?

I was playing it for the first time competitively, and since I've never played it before I was getting my ass kicked. However I once complained with my friend that I apparently shot the enemy twice in the chest / head with a shotgun and he didn't die. Than he told me the guys were probably hosting the game, and that Gears UE does not use Azure servers.

Just double checked though, and read in the gears forum people saying it is using dedicated servers. Could you enlighten me?

Also... I did trully miss the shot, or sometimes the game, for whatever reason, doesn't detect the hit? I mean, 2 shots with a shotgun in the chest can kill a opponent in full health, right?

m23

Is the game running on dedicated servers?

I was playing it for the first time competitively, and since I've never played it before I was getting my ass kicked. However I once complained with my friend that I apparently shot the enemy twice in the chest / head with a shotgun and he didn't die. Than he told me the guys were probably hosting the game, and that Gears UE does not use Azure servers.

Just double checked though, and read in the gears forum people saying it is using dedicated servers. Could you enlighten me?

Also... I did trully miss the shot, or sometimes the game, for whatever reason, doesn't detect the hit? I mean, 2 shots with a shotgun in the chest can kill a opponent in full health, right?

It is using dedicated servers, I think there are some issues with detection with the shotgun but it might just be how the shotgun is designed.

Kssio_Aug

It is using dedicated servers, I think there are some issues with detection with the shotgun but it might just be how the shotgun is designed.

Allright! Thank you!
Thats allright, at least it seems to be something that may happen to everyone then.

By the way... Even getting owned, I really loved it!

There's always a slight bit of bs to Gears that makes it so wonderful though. It could your fault, it could be the game, it could be the servers, who knows?

I was still being affected by the grenades yesterday. The the sound of them beeping and landing isn't quite in sync so they blow up before you hear the beeps and stuff. Kind of sucks. I noticed it specifically on Escalation and one other map.

3DShovel

I feel like they made the shotgun worse with the last patch. It's crazy inconsistent now. And, I think if they're gonna change it at all, they should use notes from Gears 3.

I feel like they made the shotgun worse with the last patch. It's crazy inconsistent now. And, I think if they're gonna change it at all, they should use notes from Gears 3.
Absolutely not

This is Gears 1. The shotgun is perfectly fine now.

You know it really is Gears 1 when it's Never the players fault they died.

It really isn't though. I hard aim at a certain distance. Blindfire and being able to move while shooting is king.

I need some help here guys.

Scored a code from my sister for this game and it just won't complete it's install/download. The farthest it got was 26% before it kept popping up "installationstopped" messages. I've tried hard resets and uninstall/cancel download and now the thing will not even hitthe 10% mark. I even left it on to keep downloading all day and the percentage never changed.

All the bonus skins dlc downloaded just fine though.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I need some help here guys.

Scored a code from my sister for this game and it just won't complete it's install/download. The farthest it got was 26% before it kept popping up "installationstopped" messages. I've tried hard resets and uninstall/cancel download and now the thing will not even hitthe 10% mark. I even left it on to keep downloading all day and the percentage never changed.

All the bonus skins dlc downloaded just fine though.

Maybe clearing the cache helps? I actually have no idea if it does though.

Here's a good set of clips I've compiled together. I usually get a really nice clip that I enjoyed and then attach some of the auto-upload clips to the beginning.

Link

Here's a good set of clips I've compiled together. I usually get a really nice clip that I enjoyed and then attach some of the auto-upload clips to the beginning.

Link

Good stuff.

Started playing a little bit more online in recent days and... I just love this game. I will always come back to this franchise no matter what new game come out.

Got my KD up to 2.32 and hope to carry on my gradual improvement. Still, it's a far cry away from the 3.4 days of Gears of War 3 but I'm older now. :p

I don't think mine has ever been as high as 3. I had my formative years in Gears 2 so that KD was awful. I hit my stride in Gears 3 and now I'm sitting at a 2.48 in Gears UE. I honestly think I've Improved as a Gnasher fighter when I thought I had plateaued with Gears 3. My blind fires are a little iffy because barrel aiming was such an automatic thing but it doesn't hurt my overall performance anymore. I almost always play TDM but I haven't found much competitive differences between the modes. I thought the pro style execution would be better but it was still a stomping.

I don't think mine has ever been as high as 3. I had my formative years in Gears 2 so that KD was awful. I hit my stride in Gears 3 and now I'm sitting at a 2.48 in Gears UE. I honestly think I've Improved as a Gnasher fighter when I thought I had plateaued with Gears 3. My blind fires are a little iffy because barrel aiming was such an automatic thing but it doesn't hurt my overall performance anymore. I almost always play TDM but I haven't found much competitive differences between the modes. I thought the pro style execution would be better but it was still a stomping.

Gears of War is undoubtedly the most skill-based game in the series.

I was a wrecking machine in Gears 3 but you had far more tools to abuse - I could get into the low 20s in TDM and even managed to bag the 25 kills in a row medal a few times.

Now, I'll be chuffed if I can get more than 10 and that's not because I'm much worse but because kill times are longer and the game is more Gnasher-centric.

And as every Gears of War player knows, the Gnasher can be a cruel mistress and even though it has always been my best weapon there's an inherent risk in putting yourself in that situation.

Rifles in Gears 3 were monsters and valuable killing tools, in UE they can be but it takes more work and their use is more situational.

Boomshots were mini nukes, in UE you are more likely to get a down than anything.

I think the truth is I'm just not as good as I was either. I'm still competitive but not truly great anymore.

If I had to put my finger on something else that has had an impact on me it would sound. Whether it be the sound of footsteps or of a grenade drop, I struggle to hear it.

However, as an 06 player I will say it has been an interesting experience going back after Gears 3.

Gridlock is a good example.

In Gears 3, you'd start with a retro, or a lancer with a headshot multiplier, pick up inks, score cheap kills at the sniper spawn or maybe just ignore it all together and get the three-round Boomshot which is by far the best weapon in the game.

Due to its blast radius and damage, losing sniper spawn wasn't a big deal - you could take it back by force very quickly.

Inks also gave you a free attempt at taking the spawn back.

In UE it's all about that rush to the sniper and once a good team gets up there they are hard to get out. In the beta I started by going to get boom but I slowly started to realise if my team lost sniper it would be an uphill battle to get back in the match.

I think Gears 3 is a better game but UE is undoubtedly more pure Gears.

Top Bottom