• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

I was really disappointed when I heard the cutscenes were FMV this go 'round. I loved how the overwhelming majority of the cutscenes in the original were in-game. However, after seeing the new cutscenes in UE, I've changed my tune entirely. These new FMVs look exactly like the game and their IQ is damned near impeccable. And I like the little changes, too.

3DShovel

Bought during Black Friday. Started playing single player, forgot how much I actually enjoyed this game. It feels great
The campaign is such an enjoyable single player shooter experience.

It's one of the only shooter campaigns I can actually bear to sit through.

The campaign is such an enjoyable single player shooter experience.

It's one of the only shooter campaigns I can actually bear to sit through.
Exited to try multi player again, it was one of my favorites on 360. I had good times with co-op too, met lots of ppl that way. Gears 1 campaign is the only one I beat, and didn't really get a chance to play the other games. So the free backward compat stuff is a plus.

Bought gears 2 at launch but it had it problems when it came out

Bought during Black Friday. Started playing single player, forgot how much I actually enjoyed this game. It feels great
Exited to try multi player again, it was one of my favorites on 360. I had good times with co-op too, met lots of ppl that way.
I remember when Gears 1 first came out. It was my Senior year in college and I was utterly blown away by everything. The graphics, the gameplay, the universe, the shooting mechanics, and the controls. Looking back on my original Achievements the other day I was surprised I beat the game on Insane by myself. I mean, I know I did, but just seeing the affirmation again was a blast from the past. And, of course, I am playing through UE now, again, on Insane. And I am having a blast all over again.

Now I may be the world's craziest guy, but I actually find MP's 60fps jarring. Don't get me wrong, it's smooth as butter. It's just not ever how I've experienced Gears. So, it feels... off. I suppose in a good way. However, I am admittedly not someone who is bothered by 30fps. I find it perfectly acceptable and you won't ever hear me complain about a game running at 30. 60fps is better, sure, but I won't turn my nose up on anything less.

I remember when Gears 1 first came out. It was my Senior year in college and I was utterly blown away by everything. The graphics, the gameplay, the universe, the shooting mechanics, and the controls. Looking back on my original Achievements the other day I was surprised I beat the game on Insane by myself. I mean, I know I did, but just seeing the affirmation again was a blast from the past. And, of course, I am playing through UE now, again, on Insane. And I am having a blast all over again.

Now I may be the world's craziest guy, but I actually find MP's 60fps jarring. Don't get me wrong, it's smooth as butter. It's just not ever how I've experienced Gears. So, it feels... off. I suppose in a good way. However, I am admittedly not someone who is bothered by 30fps. I find it perfectly acceptable and you won't ever hear me complain about a game running at 30. 60fps is better, sure, but I won't turn my nose up on anything less.
Gears was my real first online experience with an active community. didn't realize multi was at 60 fps. I'm not one that notices or complains about 30 vs 60, but it'll be nice to see the difference on xbone.

Hugstable

Banned
Hi I just got this game during Black Friday as part pf a bundle and saw that I can get 4 classic Gears games, and having loved the first bit never played the rest of the series, I'm really wanting to play through them. I installed and started up the game, but I still can't figure out how to get the classic games. How am I supposed to redeem the games and own them/download them?

Pachimari

Hi I just got this game during Black Friday as part pf a bundle and saw that I can get 4 classic Gears games, and having loved the first bit never played the rest of the series, I'm really wanting to play through them. I installed and started up the game, but I still can't figure out how to get the classic games. How am I supposed to redeem the games and own them/download them?

You need to play multiplayer, and then you will be sent the codes to your inbox on December 1.

It seems like John DiMaggio does quite a few voices in the first Gears of War. Was it like that in the original? I can't remember/I never paid any attention before.

Playing Blitz and my team mates were level 1, 1 and 2 (or 3) against a bunch of guys who had re-upped. They were toying with us by not staying in the areas and just wracking up kills etc, my team had no idea what to do (which was evident when at one point I had 12 kills and they had 1 between the three of them) and eventually one of them dropped out and we were slowly dragging ourselves to 180... then they started going for it to make sure they won and right at the death it was 174 to us vs 176~ to them and I dragged us through to a narrow win, what a rush.

I got like 15k XP for that match... took 12 minutes!

pizzacat

Banned
It seems like John DiMaggio does quite a few voices in the first Gears of War. Was it like that in the original? I can't remember/I never paid any attention before.

He voiced marcus, franklin and a pilot in the beginning I think, if anyone it was Fred Tastaicore (sp?; Baird) and Carlos Fierra doing other voices,

Lester Speights normal voice is just cole anyway so they used it him just for that

I know fred did a lot of the locusts

Ballistik

With a combination of bad teammates, making KoTH two rounds, and going into try hard mode just to win... I made it to 100 kills in one game.

VpyxEf6.png

pizzacat

Banned
With a combination of bad teammates, making KoTH two rounds, and going into try hard mode just to win... I made it to 100 kills in one game.

VpyxEf6.png
I want to believe that teammates are given due to stats. Whenever I search with my friend who isn't bad but isn't good, we get serviceable teammates, if I'm playing by myself there's no hope

I finally bought an xbox one thanks to the last deals and I decided to buy the bundle with gow remaster for 299 euro. Everything was great until I found out the file size... Now I feel like...

feZMr0U.jpg

He voiced marcus, franklin and a pilot in the beginning I think, if anyone it was Fred Tastaicore (sp?; Baird) and Carlos Fierra doing other voices,

Lester Speights normal voice is just cole anyway so they used it him just for that

I know fred did a lot of the locusts
Ah, okay. Franklin was one that I thought sounded very much like John. And, to be honest, Baird sometimes sounds like Marcus. It's confusing.

Did they re-record the lines for UE or are they the original sound assets?

what the fuk?
And we're supposed to be just as confused and angry as you because...? What am I supposed to be looking at? Context would've been helpful here.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I want to love this game, but man I am getting destroyed in most matches. The biggest draw for me is not being able to distinguish enemies very easily, I may have to bump the brightness. The other being the fact that the meta heavily favors gnashers, very rarely do I have the opportunity to use a lancer, but it's pretty sweet when i can get a chainsaw kill off.

Playing single got a head shot with a shotgun, forgot how good that felt :)

Trying to unrust before I get onto multi
carmine just died rip edit: colllllleeeee train!

Demise

So i wanted to ask for a long time now but i can't create tread : what is the best gears of war game and why ? Thanks.

So i wanted to ask for a long time now but i can't create tread : what is the best gears of war game and why ? Thanks.

Gears of War 3.

Gears 2 imo has the best campaign and introduces Horde but Gears 3 has the longest campaign (I think), 4 player co-op, Horde 2.0 with awesome base building stuff, amazing maps, a raft of options to make a great game. The campaign is awesome but I liked Gears 2 more.

As a side note the seasons pass adds a ton of awesome content too and is one of the best we've ever had for new content (in my humble opinion)

pizzacat

Banned

Movement.
Bounce cancel
All weapons are at their best.
There's only 2 bad maps dlc included.

Worst is judgment but Paduk is the diamond in the rough

Mozz-eyes

Banned
So I have some questions about then single player.

I'm shooting these dudes in the head with the lancer or hammerburst. Are there no headshots or something? Does shooting the head no do extra damage?

The lancer chainsaw seems to be really hit and miss. I can hardly get it to activate. I must be doing something wrong.

So I have some questions about then single player.

I'm shooting these dudes in the head with the lancer or hammerburst. Are there no headshots or something? Does shooting the head no do extra damage?

The lancer chainsaw seems to be really hit and miss. I can hardly get it to activate. I must be doing something wrong.

Hold B for the chainsaw.

Also if you get your pistol out and shoot heads they explode, not sure they do for Lancer/hammerburst

I finally bought an xbox one thanks to the last deals and I decided to buy the bundle with gow remaster for 299 euro. Everything was great until I found out the file size... Now I feel like...

feZMr0U.jpg

Yeah, file sizes this gen are insane, and it sucks for those of us with slow Internet. I'm lucky to have 6mb/s (just barely) and it's the best I can really get from a well known provider. It can take a day or so to download games like this, and it did.

SMattera

How in the world do you set up split screen co-op in this game?

I can't figure it out.

This UI design is mindbogglingly horrific.

EDIT: had to remove my Xbox live account from my console, then sign back in. Really strange bug.

Still playing on and off - though I have took a break for a few days while I play the Uncharted 4 beta (which is great but doesn't quite deliver that intimate action I adore about Gears).

Of course it's still a beta but some of the issues I've encountered have really made me appreciate the consistent feedback and hitch-free performance of UE.

Will probably hop back on tomorrow night... for an arse-whopping no doubt.

Top Bottom