• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't thought of Gary Whitta for god knows how long before I was reminded he wrote this movie a few days ago.

Good for him for finally having a winner though. From working on scripts for Duke Nukem Forever to Star Wars is a hell of a jump.

His previous two movies were Book of Eli (starring Denzel Washington) and After Earth (starring Will Smith (I wonder if he told him he knows the owner of the Will Smith Twitter account)).

His previous two movies were Book of Eli (starring Denzel Washington) and After Earth (starring Will Smith (I wonder if he told him he knows the owner of the Will Smith Twitter account)).

Yeah I know he did stuff between Duke and now LOL. (And he only worked on DNF for a short while in the early 00's on a version that was canned anyway)

I remember Book of Eli was decent.

Zaph

UJfTzDp.png
🙌🏼

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How have I not seen Klepek interview James Cameron before?
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/43654/x-play-interviews-james-cameron-about-avatar/

Valve took Brad Muir from us.

Fuck valve.
They really did. He was one of the most public game devs out there. Either promoting his game, doing stuff with Double Fine or just guesting. But since he joined Valve he basically vanished. Sucks.

Didn't Will "The Ginger" Smith talk about meeting the other one? I remember something like he didn't care or whatever, because he's not on Twitter.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Valve is basically Steam to me and that's still great. They just have no communication and they won't ever change that.

Zaph

Valve is a massive distribution platform that still cannot get customer service or messaging right, even after making billions, instead acting like they resent the B2C part of the platform. They do not get enough shit for this.

Just a whole bunch of squandered potential.

The fuck. That is one of the best games ever made.

Nah. It was never going to top the original as that was such a short, tight and surprising game, but Portal 2 felt a bit lazy to me. Too self-aware.

There were some good chuckles and puzzles along the way, it's not a bad game, it's a good game, but they would have been better off leaving Portal as its own thing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, gotta disagree with you there. Portal was basically a demo and they iterated on it with so much clever stuff in a still pretty short game, it's amazing. And calling it lazy is just ridiculous. It's the most well produced puzzle game of all time.

Jintor

the only thing I really don't like about portal 2 is how much it bangs up against the source engine's limitations. every map is way too fucking small.

derFeef

the only thing I really don't like about portal 2 is how much it bangs up against the source engine's limitations. every map is way too fucking small.

That's basically every Valve game (lol). Their engine shines through every crack and corner. Not in a good way.

Zaph

Titanfall 2 did an amazing job modifying the Source engine around this limitation.

Titanfall 2 is an amazing game.

demidar

If Valve and Steam disappeared all of a sudden, I would think the PC ecosystem would get a whole lot shittier. Sure there's a lot they could do better, but I'd still rather that than something like Steam being in the hands of a public company.

Valve is still one of the best game industry companies we have, I'm still a massive fan of what they do, Steam, Dota, Vive, etc.

Portal 2 is exceptional, I highly enjoyed it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If Valve and Steam disappeared all of a sudden, I would think the PC ecosystem would get a whole lot shittier. Sure there's a lot they could do better, but I'd still rather that than something like Steam being in the hands of a public company.
Publishers would push their own stores even harder. You wouldn't only have Origin or Windows store exclusives anymore, but also Take Two App, Uplay exclusives etc. Would be really bad.
I think the only company that could jump in and try to offer something similar would be CD Projekt.

Portal 2 was a victim of Valve's playtesting

It's like half the game it could've been
Yeah, that is true. The incline in challenge is too clean, there are no bumps on the road. And while that's really hard to create, it takes some fun out of your puzzle game.

def sim

I don't expect much from Valve when it comes to newer video game projects. I suspect we'll see a new Left 4 Dead within the next couple of years, but I've come to accept that they are serving a different audience with DOTA/TF2/CSGO. As far as primary digital storefronts go, Steam is the only one I have some confidence in. Microsoft's focus on their universal Windows platform and Sony's noncommittal to backwards compatibility give me a lot of pause. On the PC side, it's clear the other stores simply want to avoid Valve's cut and don't want to compete in a broader sense.

demidar

Publishers would push their own stores even harder. You wouldn't only have Origin or Windows store exclusives anymore, but also Take Two App, Uplay exclusives etc. Would be really bad.
I think the only company that could jump in and try to offer something similar would be CD Projekt.

After hearing how GoG denied Cave shmups, I don't have a lot of faith in them. That's like Steam's shitty curation 5 years ago.

Joeku

Yeah I know he did stuff between Duke and now LOL. (And he only worked on DNF for a short while in the early 00's on a version that was canned anyway)

Book of Eli:
book-elie-denzel-arrow-660.jpg

After Earth:
after-earth-cutlass-jaden-smith.jpg

Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 4:

Who wants to guess that this guy in Rogue One is his doing:
donnie-yen-rogue-one-190711.jpg

I'm sure Duke would have had a stick-like weapon (or just a straight-up fucking stick apparently) at some point in his version.

Over the last year or so the Valve Free Pass...

vJ1Q4D.gif

.. Has been revoked.

Now they are video game Apple. They are making ALL the moneyz but their old audience kind of hates them and the enthusiast audience just kind of uses them because they are afraid of change and going elsewhere.

I know I have been trying to do a better job shopping around on the PC and using stuff like GOG and Origin more just to try break out of the Steam trap.

Joeku

Give HL3 to some unholy mix of MachineGames and Respawn maybe?

Let Half-Life die

No sequel could ever live up to expectations

Honestly it's been long enough for me that I don't have any expectations. Story-focused linear shooter with physicsy stuff. I guess I kinda just want a wrap on the Combine story, even though they'll never truly tell us what the G-man is. Mystery Box and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom