• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Eventually I'm gonna need to upgrade from trucks to something... bigger
ss_da6284d08f102153db2a9e437c9dabdb55d3cae1.1920x1080.jpg

chrixter

Are there any GOTY podcasts from other outlets? I've watched Gamespots and Easy allies' videos but would like to watch /listen more before 26th.
I enjoyed the annual Besties podcast by the McElroy brothers, Chris Plante, and Russ Frushtick from Polygon (it's just their own fun side podcast, not Polygon's official GOTY). They do four rounds in which each person nominates one game (so 16 games total), then as a group they choose a winner from each round, and then decide on a GOTY from the four finalists. Really good conversations about each game they nominated, plus discussion of honorable mentions and surprises/disappointments of the year.

Joeku

And the old lady in Uncharted 4.

Don't ruin my fun facts with additional facts, goddammit!

You know, for as much as Naughty Dog has its fallback actors like the rest of the video game world, they've been better at hiding them behind the performances more than most. Between David in TLoU and that lady, I had no idea who was playing them until the credits.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
burning a day at work watching GB content, but I can't remember what I haven't watched.

Ashby

burning a day at work watching GB content, but I can't remember what I haven't watched.
How do you people do this? Whenever I hear this I just imagine the person who said it is a swanky exec with their own office to make myself feel better. My job is fine and well paying but no way could I just watch giant bomb all day and not get my ass out the door real quick

How do you people do this? Whenever I hear this I just imagine the person who said it is a swanky exec with their own office to make myself feel better. My job is fine and well paying but no way could I just watch giant bomb all day and not get my ass out the door real quick

Work in IT. Plenty of time to fuck around and no one cares. I played all of XCOM 2 at work.

I work IT and have a cubical. I put my phone in a charging cradle which is kind of obscured by my monitor should anyone walk up behind me and just watch videos most of the day. I mean, I'm still working, but still got video rolling.

You know, for as much as Naughty Dog has its fallback actors like the rest of the video game world, they've been better at hiding them behind the performances more than most. Between David in TLoU and that lady, I had no idea who was playing them until the credits.

Totally. I mean, we all knew Troy Baker's roles before hand, but Joel and Sam could not sound any different. Which is why I would have no problem with either him or Nolan (or both) being leads in a new Naughty Dog IP. They're that good. I think people grew "tired" of Nolan because so many games wanted his Nathan Drake voice, but when he is given room to be creative, he is awesome. His David in The Last of Us, like you said, was fantastic and unsettling and (while I never played the games), his Penguin in the Arkham series was incredible.

BigBoss

If you want something different from Nolan North you should check out Mafia 3. Hearing North dropping n-bombs all over the place with a southern accent was something else.

Joeku

I was with Giant Bomb on retiring the Northies when they did. North in Spec Ops is probably the best thing he's done. That dude's voice breaks like I've never heard before in that game, and it's great because it starts out as Nolan North-ass Nolan North.

I just remembered, she was also the Nun in the beginning of the game. Also, Drake's boss, Jameson, is voiced by the same guy who voiced Henry (the older brother from the Pittsburgh section) in The Last of Us.

Laura Bailey in UC4 though. That was one of the most unfortunate attempts at a South African accent I've ever heard and it baffles me they thought she was good enough. I love her as a VA but nooooope

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I work in the game industry. there's just me and a co-worker and my manager at the office currently. two days from christmas and not a lot of work to do. Basically just getting things setup for when we get back from break in January.

LiK

Laura Bailey in UC4 though. That was one of the most unfortunate attempts at a South African accent I've ever heard and it baffles me they thought she was good enough. I love her as a VA but nooooope

She was going for South African? I thought she was just British.

She was going for South African? I thought she was just British.

I'm afraid so. Every now and then you can tell she's trying but it aint hot. Starting to think maybe Americans just don't actually have a clue what it sounds like between that thing and the Beastcast duders all thinking the baddies in Titanfall 2 were supposed to be Australian (????????)

popo

It has been a solo stream, more or less, for the last two years - so Jeff might as well do it from home.

Producers are always busy editing GOTY, Dan is usually in Kansas by now and Brad is ... (insert your own joke here).

Titanfall 2 and Doom are the campaigns I really need to get through before GOTY happens. What order should I play them in, and why? (Bonus credit question: Is DOOM still super fun on the normal difficulty? I'm a bit time constrained and not a huge difficulty masochist in general)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom