• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Same was said about HL2. Nonsense talk.
2004 Valve was much closer to the requirements of a competent 2004 studio than current Valve is to a 2016 studio.

Modern campaign-based games just can't be created as 'casually' as they once could. The amount of heads-down, discipled work required had risen exponentially, and that doesn't fit Valve's current MO (as confirmed by numerous reports and rumours about what goes on there).

Half-Life 2 isn't a bad game or anything, but the original game is practically genre defining (and also just a better put-together game).

HL1 has Xen. I think HL2 is a substantially better game.

Portal > Portal 2 forever though. It was lean, mean, had amazing world-building, zero fat, it was perfect. Portal 2 was just puzzles for the sake of puzzles with funny dialogue. I got bored halfway through.

Portal > Portal 2 forever though. It was lean, mean, had amazing world-building, zero fat, it was perfect. Portal 2 was just puzzles for the sake of puzzles with funny dialogue. I got bored halfway through.
This man knows his right opinions.

LiK

Nah. It was never going to top the original as that was such a short, tight and surprising game, but Portal 2 felt a bit lazy to me. Too self-aware.

There were some good chuckles and puzzles along the way, it's not a bad game, it's a good game, but they would have been better off leaving Portal as its own thing.

sammy is drunk

And HL2 has like two different mediocre vehicle segments that greatly overstay their welcome.

HL2 has the Titanfall 2 "loosely throw a bunch of cool ideas together" mentality, which is neat on its own, but doing that in a follow-up to one of the more cohesive campaigns out there is a bummer.

Meguro

Banned
Portal 2 is one of the best written videogames out there so the fact that the puzzles stay really simple doesn't really bother me.
A shame about Valve (and Brad Muir) though.
Wonder how some of the old game developers over there feel about the change of direction.

hamchan

Portal 2 is one of the best written videogames out there so the fact that the puzzles stay really simple doesn't really bother me.
A shame about Valve (and Brad Muir) though.
Wonder how some of the old game developers over there feel about the change of direction.

They're all fine with it while they sleep in their mattress made of money.

The robots will run steam indefinitely, the players will make 90% of the content updates for their games and Valve will keep innovating until they somehow manage to get Half Life 3 made by the robots and the players without them knowing they made it themselves.

Demption

Are there any GOTY podcasts from other outlets? I've watched Gamespots and Easy allies' videos but would like to watch /listen more before 26th.

And HL2 has like two different mediocre vehicle segments that greatly overstay their welcome.

I never felt that way about them. I'm walking back my "substantially better" comment though, Xen sucks but HL1 is an all-time classic with a lot of great stuff in it. Maybe some parts of it are a little dated but I can't throw it under the bus. As a whole I'd probably still say HL2 is slightly better.

A few years ago I played Half-Life 1 & 2 one right after the other, for the first time.

Thought Half-Life 1 was great. Aged in spots, but I found it easy to look past all that. Half-Life 2 on the other hand was just annoying.

A few years ago I played Half-Life 1 & 2 one right after the other, for the first time.

Thought Half-Life 1 was great. Aged in spots, but I found it easy to look past all that. Half-Life 2 on the other hand was just annoying.

I can tell you exactly why it's annoying, but first let me dump five minutes of exposition on you while you just stand there.

which, to be fair, is done in HL1 but not nearly as much

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah HL2 feels dated now, the physics part of it was a big selling point at the time but It's just kinda crappy today. HL1 holds up better.

I can tell you exactly why it's annoying, but first let me dump five minutes of exposition on you while you just stand there.

which, to be fair, is done in HL1 but not nearly as much

Always found it hilarious when people praised Half-Life 2 for having more natural storytelling and not having cutscenes.

There are no cutscenes about as much as Metal Gear doesn't have any cutscenes - both allow you to fiddle with the "camera" while a cutscene is happening.

daveo42

Banned

HL2 has the Titanfall 2 "loosely throw a bunch of cool ideas together" mentality, which is neat on its own, but doing that in a follow-up to one of the more cohesive campaigns out there is a bummer.

These are way way shorter on replays and not nearly as grueling. I actually think they are just about the right length. Still, Surface Tension from HL1 is probably one of the best sections in the franchise. I like HL2 and the follow-up episodes a bit more overall because I'm a sucker for story, though the ending of HL2 kind of pissed me off at the time.

While we are on the Half Life talk train...

.. HL2 Episode 1 suuuucks

I liked it well enough, but Episode 2 was a bit better. That strider battle at the end was pretty great.

oti

Banned
Man, getting the Orange Box and playing HL2 for the first time and Portal and the OS with the Blades was so gooooood.

It was the first 360 game I purchased. I sold my Wii to buy the console for Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed. Good times.

def sim

Brad's idea of remaking classic Hitman missions for the new game is a good one.

Also, y'all making me want to replay HL2. I did so with the first a couple years back and it held up well enough. Curious to see how the sequel would fare.

AlhGVTo.gif

theres a part in HL2 where you have already done a bunch of shit and then you walk into a tunnel and there is literally a high wall on your right, a see saw on the ground, and 1 brick.

It's like they thought "ITS A PHYSICS PUZZLE ITS SO GOOD WE'RE SO SMART" and at that point I felt valve was so far up their own ass about their physics engine that I couldn't care

the airboat and buggy sucked

ravenholm was kind of annoying more than "the most tense i've ever felt playing a game" but whatever.

HL2 is fine, I don't think it was in my top 5 that year. HL1 was when it came out though

def sim

theres a part in HL2 where you have already done a bunch of shit and then you walk into a tunnel and there is literally a high wall on your right, a see saw on the ground, and 1 brick.

It's like they thought "ITS A PHYSICS PUZZLE ITS SO GOOD WE'RE SO SMART" and at that point I felt valve was so far up their own ass about their physics engine that I couldn't care

Simplistic puzzles like that were made prominent because that level of physics in games was a super new thing in the mid 00s. It's part of why I want to replay HL2 sometime soon. I feel like it might have aged worse than the first.

daveo42

Banned
Physics puzzled just to show off the physics modelling of the game really do help to date HL2 and reminds me of a completely forgotten section of Episode 2 in that ruined building. The physics engine is pretty damn great, but it's not the highlight like it once was.

As for forgotten areas, people tend to forget about the second worst section of HL, On a Rail. Glad the remake did the same.

Zornack

the airboat and buggy sucked

ravenholm was kind of annoying more than "the most tense i've ever felt playing a game" but whatever.

HL2 is fine, I don't think it was in my top 5 that year. HL1 was when it came out though

Did you play HL2 at release or come to it later? I remember that physics puzzle being new and interesting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm about to pass the 100 hour mark on American Truck Simulator and I'm fixing to hit that age old question

Should I buy a racing wheel

Meguro

Banned
Seeing Alex smile makes me weirdly uncomfortable.
Also whoever said that the NieR: Automata Demo is hot:
Fuck yes it is. This feels like the Platinum that made Bayo 2 and MGR.
And y'know, the music is NieR-tier which makes it amazing.
Too bad the game will end in absolute tragedy because Yoko Taro

Imagine if they took an axe to the Witness or the Talos Principle because a few people couldn't wrap their heads around some of the puzzles
Neither game comes close to the greatness of Portal 2, so I think Valve must have done something right there. I still love Valve, but it breaks my heart that they seem to have abandoned all game content outside DOTA. I just want the MOBA bubble to burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom