• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

Osaka_Boss

Down here in SA, Kratos is like an adult Mario on brand recognition. It is THAT popular. I'm quite sure in Africa, Middle east, Oceania there is a similar scenario it is not because the numbers don't say, that it doesn't exist. Gow PC is now the currently most pirated game. I know at least 30 ppl playing rn that didn't buy it on steam lol

Kenpachii

Down here in SA, Kratos is like an adult Mario on brand recognition. It is THAT popular. I'm quite sure in Africa, Middle east, Oceania there is a similar scenario it is not because the numbers don't say, that it doesn't exist. Gow PC is now the currently most pirated game. I know at least 30 ppl playing rn that didn't buy it on steam lol

U always have pirates. the same way as u always have second hand buyers on consoles. Means nothing.

The game has 2x peak players of death stranding, 16k more then horizon and 2x more then days gone.

It's a success for them.

It's pretty good if you think about it, the game has absolute no rep on PC at all. It has no history and its a hack and slash cinematic single player game, those are not particular populaire on PC as in general they play badly with a keyboad and mouse which also pushes people off, while asking 50 euro's for it.

If they wanted to sell a lot more copy's, they should have lowered the price and advertised more.

Last edited:

Barakov

When gamepass?
No Way Reaction GIF

Lognor

Banned
Yep. Just checked MHR, still sitting at twice the GOW figure. 130k. And if you look at people playing right now, 59k for GOW and 104k for MHR. MHR appears to be a massive success. GOW doing well too, but funny to think that we just had the poll about which would sell better and a significant number of people said GOW. It's not even close.

kingfey

Banned
Yep. Just checked MHR, still sitting at twice the GOW figure. 130k. And if you look at people playing right now, 59k for GOW and 104k for MHR. MHR appears to be a massive success. GOW doing well too, but funny to think that we just had the poll about which would sell better and a significant number of people said GOW. It's not even close.
that past game did 5m copy on pc. No wonder, the game is big. Not to mention, the game is like mmorpg. these people, will play the game.

VFXVeteran

Banned
graph

dd.png

This is great to see. I'm glad to see people who haven't played it get a chance to play this amazing title. 49,411 playing on steam and we don't even have epic store numbers. This will hopefully make sony bring more of their other amazing titles to the PC like Ghost of Thusima.

I loved playing it on the ps5 and would double dip if it launched on the PC. Also, titles like bloodborne would be great to see.
I had it on the PS5 and just couldn't stomach the low texture filtering. All I'd really want is a true 4k/120fps game with high texture filtering and I'd be set.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Again, current users playing and sales are NOT the same thing.

jigglet

Banned
lol wtf does peak matter.

Peak players matter for PvP games cause you need the critical mass of gamers for swift match making and to prevent a death spiral.

Only total sales matters for a solo game.

This is comparing apples and oranges.

This game will do well no doubt. I'm eyeing it myself. But concurrent players? It's an irrelevant stat.

Last edited:

Never understood why people love the "Bom the Guerra" so much here.

GrayChild

Still going up:

WtAoKAR.png

For reference:

vy4s7Qz.png

And keep in mind that Horizon actually managed to exceed Sony's expectations:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...sales-were-nearly-as-large-as-the-witcher-3s/

The game had a PC launch “nearly as large” as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

The game’s launch month sales were up 50% compared to the PC edition of Death Stranding, which sold 477,000 having released on July 14.

Horizon Zero Dawn’s PC launch month sales “significantly” larger than Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s following that game’s October 5, 2018 release.

It puts a port of a 4 year old game in the same category as the following titles:

All-Time Steam Peaks
Dark Souls 2 - 79k
Resident Evil 2 - 74k
God of War (2018) - 72k
Skyrim Special Edition - 70k
Shadow of War - 68k
Stellaris - 68k
Bioshock Infinite - 65k
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 62k
Resident Evil 3 - 60k

It's a very good result.
Are these the top peaks for all single player games or just those around God of War? This is admittedly great company...

Anyway, great I guess? I can't bring myself to care...

Holammer

I'm guessing the lower first day concurrent numbers reflect cautious Steam users.
When it released and steam user reviews confirmed it was a solid port (and rated it very well), it kept increasing. Now GoW is top grossing global, even above CS:GO.

O8fPDJt.jpg

Relique

Are these the top peaks for all single player games or just those around God of War? This is admittedly great company...

Anyway, great I guess? I can't bring myself to care...
Those are the games around it but there aren't that many games above it anyway. It's like 140ish out of 55000+ games on steam. Any game publisher would be happy with those numbers for their AAA game, let alone a for port that probably cost a couple of million to make. This is why all the negative posts are puzzling to me.

Even if you don't care for this title in particular, it's success should open the door for more Sony games on the platform. Something might interest you if you play on PC

Tripolygon

Banned
Those are the games around it but there aren't that many games above it anyway. It's like 140ish out of 55000+ games on steam. Any game publisher would be happy with those numbers for their AAA game, let alone a for port that probably cost a couple of million to make. This is why all the negative posts are puzzling to me.

Even if you don't care for this title in particular, it's success should open the door for more Sony games on the platform. Something might interest you if you play on PC
Most importantly is a 97% positive review on steam.

Yay!

I don't think that this is a very relevant metric, a game that peaks fast but has no legs in its sales... well.

Anyway, it tells us that the game is relevant, I liked it... I may even try it on PC just to see.

YuLY

Maybe a mod could edit the title at this point? its past 70k

Bryank bro pls post if u ok. Its fine if others are playing with your toys, you still have others at home.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
RDR2 has been on Steam for 2years. GoW is new to the platform. Not a good comparison.
We are talking about steam CCU, the highest RDR2 got was 55K and that was when it launched. It has been maintaining a steady 20K - 30K weekly CCU since launch which is impressive by itself for just a single-player game. I don't think GOW will be able to maintain that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom