• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Honestly I wonder how Uncharted 4 will fare considering PC players never got the chance to play 1-3, this is a really weird move by Sony. I personally know nothing about that universe, even if I'm hyped for getting the chance to try it (mainly pc gamer), so its a bit weird to start with 4.
The highest chance for a huge number of sales as in 4-5 mil will be with Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima, I think those are the most attractive for the pc gaming market right now.
I'm thinking they started with UC4, God of War 2018 and Horizon ZD is because they are recent games. Days Gone too.

If you go back to PS2/PS3 games like the old GOW and UC games, they will be a combo of archaic gaming and ancient textures from 10+ years ago. GOW was a different kind of game back then too resembling a reflex heavy button masher, while GOW 2018 is a game much more in tune with modern day cinematic slower paced games.

At least with these newer PS4 games, the can be boosted to PC level specs without needing to do a mass overhaul of let's say UC1 from 2006.

Last edited:
You misunderstood. GoW Saga is the collection of previous games in the series.
I said they should have released it first cheaper to get people on board.

71VxHX+0L6L._AC_SL1135_.jpg
You are right, my bad. I read over Saga and to be honest i don't even know that collection.

Midn1ght

I've been following this type of stuff since steamspy first appeared, trust me, I know how to take these things.
Usually concurrent nr. needs to be multiplied by at least x10 to get a close number, its safe to say it sold more than half a million in less than a day. I'm certain of it, people can believe it or not of course.
I'll shamelessly quote myself:
6hjpDW8.png

Horizon sold 700.000 copies during launch. If GOW blew the final pre-launch numbers, it's fair to assume they probably sold close to or even over 1 million copies.

Over 53K right now, 3k short of Horizon ATH. For a 4 years old game, virtually free for everyone with a PS+ membership and sold 49.99 on Steam. (The game is also on Epic)

They're doing very good and making a truckload of extra cash from a game that doesn't bring any new money on the Playstation ecosystem.

Uncharted will be an interesting one but I predict it will be slightly less than GOW and HZD but above Days Gone.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Bloodborne and DeS would eclipse everything.
Ghosts of Tsushima will be a sales monster when they release that.

Heard the same with GOW. Look at how that turned out.

Bloodborne and DES are niche titles and will never get big numbers.

Ghost of Tsushima isn't gonna either considering it's a new IP and not as popular as GOW.

Reality is the PC market is insignificant for many reasons. Sony would have more success porting their games to Mobile, Xbox and Nintendo consoles.

YuLY

I'm thinking they started with UC4, God of War 2018 and Horizon ZD is because they are recent games. Days Gone too.

If you go back to PS2/PS3 games like the old GOW and UC games, they will be a combo of archaic gaming and ancient textures from 10+ years ago. GOW was a different kind of game back then too resembling a reflex heavy button masher, while GOW 2018 is a game much more in tune with modern day cinematic slower paced games.

At least with these newer PS4 games, the can be boosted to PC level specs without needing to do a mass overhaul of let's say UC1 from 2006.
I would totally buy trilogies such as Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance. I hope they do consider it down the line.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can’t wait for them to announce 2 million sales or more on the next update and we once again realise that this thread was a classic neogaf hot take.

concurrent players doesn’t mean shit for a single player game like this, players worldwide will be enjoying the game whenever they want to. It has no major reflection on how many units it has sold.

YuLY

Reality is the PC market is insignificant for many reasons. Sony would have more success porting their games to Mobile, Xbox and Nintendo consoles.
You are either very uninformed or trolling. Monster Hunter sold over 5.7 million units on PC outside of Japan. Capcom went and said PC market is their fastest in growth and could potentially be bigger than consoles (xbox+ps combined) in the future. What are we even talking about here.
Insignificant? if anything PC is the biggest now than it has ever been in its entire history. Steam just passed 28mil concurrent player record, I repeat...concurrent. Its bigger than ever, cyberpunk had 1mil concurrent players at launch...

Last edited:

Alphagear

You are either very uninformed or trolling. Monster Hunter sold over 5.7 million units on PC outside of Japan. Capcom went and said PC market is their fastest in growth and could potentially be bigger than consoles (xbox+ps combined) in the future. What are we even talking about here.
Insignificant? if anything PC is the biggest now it has ever been in its entire history. Steam just passed 28mil concurrent player record, I repeat...concurrent. Its bigger than ever, cyberpunk had 1mil concurrent players at launch...
Insignificant for Sony.

The sales of their games have shown their little appetite for single player Sony games.

Lets not get into future growth predictions and potential. Been hearing it for 20 years.

Last edited:

YuLY

Insignificant for Sony.

The sales of their games have shown their little appetite for single player Sony games.

Lets not get into future growth predictions and potential. Been hearing it for 20 years.
Both Horizon and Days Gone have sold more than 1mil (with Horizon close to 1.5mil more like). How is that not good for port of games from years ago. I'm pretty sure those ports didnt cost more than 1mil to develop so they are easily sitting on a profit of 30-40 mil for each of those games. With that money they can fund a totally new AAA game. Thats nowhere close to insignificant.

If they actually want to get 3-4mil sales they need to launch games at the same time on PC, like Microsoft does. But they know it wont sell those numbers right now, with the way they approach it, and are ok to sell less but still make a good profit while still keeping that "period exclusivity" proudness for some of the rabid sony fans.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Insignificant for Sony.

They're likely making hundreds of millions from the PC crowd with old games but it's insignificant.

You should send your resume to Sony, you're on to something.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Heard the same with GOW. Look at how that turned out.

Bloodborne and DES are niche titles and will never get big numbers.

Ghost of Tsushima isn't gonna either considering it's a new IP and not as popular as GOW.

Ya talk about insignificant.

Mainland China also had 325.4 million PC gamers as of the end of 2020, up 1.4% from a year earlier. Niko Partners expects total PC gamers to reach 335.3 million in 2025 at a 5-year compound annual growth rate of 0.6%.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I honestly expected around 300k (as that seems to be Steams higher end of most games)

Hopefully before the end of the weekend it will get there.
concurrent players=/=owned players.

You are accounted, if you start the game. For every hour, new person joins, while the other person leaves. Its suffering from time zone difference. Plus its a single game. People wont start right now, if they have other games.

yurinka

300k I guess? It's the best game of last gen according to Playstation owners.
I think you mean sales, but this metric mentioned in the thread is concurrent players: the amount of players playing it at the same time. Or the peak of concurrent players on a certain day/period of time.

The numbers are very good specially considering it's too soon and maybe it doesn't completely track a full day (the peak for the game may be achieved later in the first week or son), that it is a single player paid game and that it's a port of a 4 years old game.

Thats what Forza Horizon 5 got in November. So I guess 50k is pretty good for a console port of a 4yr old game.
Halo infinite new title has
Halo master chief was 6 years old and did triple the amount at 161k. Yes you laugh at the piracy narrative which is indeed rubbish but you follow another equally rubbish narrative.

PC gamers in general just don't care about Sony blockbusters and for some people it's a really hard concept to grasp.
The only thing i would say is that GOW numbers are more like a Ubiosft level game, when they used to release games on Steam, and you would of expected a little better for something like GOW. Still it was never going to be in the hundreds of thousands, or even one hundred thousand.

These are the peaks of concurent players for the main Sony, Ubi (SP games) and MS games. Please notice the number of the text is the correct, in the chart was difficult to select the peak in some games:

Please consider GoW doesn't even have a properly tracked day or two, and the peak is traditionally during the first week or so once completely tracked.

Halo Infinite (F2P, includes both MP+SP, the campaign for Steam counts as DLC where they don't provide DLC specific numbers) - 272,586
image.png

Halo MCC (bundle of multiple games, with MP) - 161,024
image.png

Far Cry 5 (6 still isn't available) - 92,445
image.png

Forza Horizon 5 (around x2 the Horizon 4 peak) - 81,096
image.png

God of War - 62,539 (still too soon, still doesn't even have a full day properly tracked. Day one numbers will need some days to be accurate. Will make more sense to compare to other games after a couple of weeks having week 1 numbers properly tracked)
image.png

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Valhalla still isn't available) - 62,069
image.png

Horizon Zero Dawn - 56,557
image.png

Death Stranding - 32,515
image.png

Days Gone - 27,288
image.png

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Wow, that's really low. So they mismanaged their highly successfull God of War IP (the second game will probably sell only half of what the first sold because people will know they will be able to buy a better cheaper version on PC) in order to sell 50k games on PC?

50k brings them not even 2 million $ (30% steam cut). Barely enough to cover the PC port (2 years of dev). Ambitious strategy Jimbo. Remind me how much money PS does those current days on Playstation systems alone?
Are you guys this much stupid? Concurrent players doesnt mean owned players.

1: Its a single player game.

2: The timezone release for the game is different.

3: You are accounted if you start the game. If you done playing 30min and leave, you arent accounted anymore, until you start playing.

No one is going to play the game for 12 hour. I have done 30min gameplay, before the motion blur made me sick.

kingfey

Banned
I think you mean sales, but this metric mentioned in the thread is concurrent players: the amount of players playing it at the same time. Or the peak of concurrent players on a certain day/period of time. The numbers are very good specially considering it's too soon and maybe it doesn't completely track a full day, that the percentage of Steam users who buy a game on release day is way smaller than in other platforms, that is a single player paid game and that it's a port of a 4 years old game.
Its only people who are currently playing the game. You arent accounted, if you stop playing it.

Its like matchmaking system.

nani17

are in a big trouble
57k on one launcher this doesn't include epic games store which also would have a high player count as well.

Also the mods are already at it. Fov slider is out 🤣🤣

Lupin25

I presume people who’ve wanted to play this, have done so years ago. PC multiplayer tends to be more prevalent anyhow, but this number will grow (60-70, at best).

Can’t blame anyone whose bought this, oblivious of Sony’s intentions for a Steam port years later; They weren’t even under the same guidance when GOW 2018 was launched.

Arun1910

I presume people who’ve wanted to play this, have done so years ago. PC multiplayer tends to be more prevalent anyhow, but this number will grow (60-70, at best).

Can’t blame anyone whose bought this, oblivious of Sony’s intentions for a Steam port years later; They weren’t even under the same guidance when GOW 2018 was launched.

Or... People just don't care about waiting? Or people don't mind double dipping?

I played this on PS4 Pro and loved it. Now I have a beasty PC and I'm loving it again at 4K 60fps.

Even now, I won't mind double dipping for current or future Sony games. I'll play Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 and then wait a few more years for it to release on PC.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Wow, that's really low. So they mismanaged their highly successfull God of War IP (the second game will probably sell only half of what the first sold because people will know they will be able to buy a better cheaper version on PC) in order to sell 50k games on PC?

50k brings them not even 2 million $ (30% steam cut). Barely enough to cover the PC port (2 years of dev). Ambitious strategy Jimbo. Remind me how much money PS does those current days on Playstation systems alone?
I'm literally shaking my head lol

What's even worse is that people who liked your comment often show up in video game sales threads and don't understand how concurrent players work.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Or... People just don't care about waiting? Or people don't mind double dipping?

I played this on PS4 Pro and loved it. Now I have a beasty PC and I'm loving it again at 4K 60fps.

Even now, I won't mind double dipping for current or future Sony games. I'll play Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 and then wait a few more years for it to release on PC.

Well yeah, most people who sought this port are for the exact reasons you bought it for.

How much will this culminate is beyond me, but a GOW sequel is coming this year so that could attribute to something as well…

nani17

are in a big trouble
I think you mean sales, but this metric mentioned in the thread is concurrent players: the amount of players playing it at the same time. Or the peak of concurrent players on a certain day/period of time.

The numbers are very good specially considering it's too soon and maybe it doesn't completely track a full day (the peak for the game may be achieved later in the first week or son), that it is a single player paid game and that it's a port of a 4 years old game.

These are the peaks of concurent players for the main Sony, MS and Ubi games. Please notice the number of the text is the correct, in the chart was difficult to select the peak in some games:

Halo Infinite (F2P, includes both MP+SP, the campaign for Steam counts as DLC where they don't provide DLC specific numbers) - 272,586
image.png

Halo MCC (bundle of multiple games, with MP) - 161,024
image.png

Far Cry 5 (6 still isn't available) - 92,445
image.png

Forza Horizon 5 (around x2 the Horizon 4 peak) - 81,096
image.png

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Valhalla still isn't available) - 62,069
image.png

God of War - 60,033 (still too soon, still doesn't even have a couple of days properly tracked)
image.png

Horizon Zero Dawn - 56,557
image.png

Death Stranding - 32,515
image.png

Days Gone - 27,288
image.png
That's strange I thought I didn't post that comment on halo but it did. My mistake it was never meant to be posted at all.

Buggy Loop

It really shows that outside of being a "Playstation exclusive" people don't really give a fuck.

ok so let’s go with an outside Sony bubble perspective, shall we try? I haven’t owned a PS since PS2, loved their game diversity back then.

So, I have bought Horizon zero dawn, Death Stranding and now God of War.

Enjoyed God of War quite a lot last night, I think it’ll click with me more than Horizon. I’m up only to the lake of nine, just got there. So I’m guessing it’s still early on

But there a few recurring things that I would call hand holding, the glowing climbable walls, akin to Horizon painted ledges, I really hate those brain dead gamer hints in general, it’s basically design for the lowest common denominator, probably someone in a coma that could still finish the game, some manager thought it would increase sales. Things that don’t make any fucking sense like the BOY picking a hot knife on top of a body that started cremation a few seconds? Quite corridor’y so far with tons of invisible walls.

Like I said, enjoyed my time with it, but so far there’s a big gap from Lake of Nine to end of game that would require filling up to the point of saying best game ever.

Oh and they fucked up the Xbox controller camera controls, way too sensitive.

Last edited:

yurinka

In the end if they continue with that strategy, they are going to become a new Ubisoft / EA company. We are already seeing that their next big games (GoW2, Horizon2) are become multiplat, meaning, no extensive use of the hardware like Demon's souls and Ratchet. People can already see those titles are inferior to those launch titles.
We don't know if GoWR and Horizon will ever be ported to PC (even if it seems very likely). And if they do, how many years they will wait after the original release to release the port. So no, they are not becoming a third party like EA or Ubisoft first because they don't release games in the other consoles and second because they only release on PC a few games instead of all, and some years after their console release instead of day one. Even if there may be some exception where they may be released the same day than in console.

Calverz

I don't see this happening myself for a very long time but it would be great. It also my never happen
I used to think this myself, but it seems like the chip shortage is not going to end anytime soon so I think sony are going to bring these long term plans forward. I think you will see demons souls on pc later this year.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I used to think this myself, but it seems like the chip shortage is not going to end anytime soon so I think sony are going to bring these long term plans forward. I think you will see demons souls on pc later this year.
That would be insane. I'd definitely buy it

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haha, I think I bought it, or possibly got it for free, years ago, and I still haven't beaten it despite it being my primary console game last year. I think I'm getting pretty close though!
Console? Beating? Are you talking about Project Zomboid too? Don't think the game's on console or beatable at all, since it's an endless sandbox.

Lognor

Banned
Decent on its own. But compare it to Monster Hunter Rise. Rise has more than double that figure! An absolutely amazing success for Capcom!

Osaka_Boss

GOW has always been more popular in the US
More popular than... ? The rest of the world? Very self-centered idea, man. Being a popular brand in gaming normally leads to brand awareness, but Halo is definitely a way huge thing in the US than the rest of the world. GoW is just a big popular hit in the world as a whole, unlike Halo which, despite being known and carried by MS marketing, simply doesn't hit the same notes outside the uncle Sam territory. Still popular, tho

yurinka

As of now, 64,161 and growing. It passed AC Odyssey's peak without having a full day properly tracked. Seems to be on track to beat Forza Horizon 5 (~74K) and maybe even Far Cry 5 (~89K) day one peak concurrent user numbers.

That's strange I thought I didn't post that comment on halo but it did. My mistake it was never meant to be posted at all.
My idea was to reply several users (or provide extra info to these comments) at the same time. I was still editing the post after posting to add some extra quotes from other people.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
More popular than... ? The rest of the world? Very self-centered idea, man. Being a popular brand in gaming normally leads to brand awareness, but Halo is definitely a way huge thing in the US than the rest of the world. GoW is just a big popular hit in the world as a whole, unlike Halo which, despite being known and carried by MS marketing, simply doesn't hit the same notes outside the uncle Sam territory. Still popular, tho
Relatively speaking, God of War has never been that popular. Or at least not until the most recent game. I just looked up sales of GOW games and the franchise stands at approx 50M as of Nov 2020. And with the 2018 game being at 20M in sales, that puts past games at an average of 5M each. So to say that GOW is a hit worldwide is a bit of a stretch. Sure if you want to say selling 1M per major territory is a hit, okay. 5M is still a great number, but not really a massive success.

Top Bottom