• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

Dolodolo

Fantastic news this. One step closer to same day pc launch of PlayStation games.
And why don't you think that this, on the contrary, will lead them to the idea that you can continue to release ports of games that have financially exhausted themselves on the console, and at the same time have extra money in the distance
So essentially they will continue to release games a few years after they release on Ps5

ClosBSAS

That's very low if u ask me. Horizon had a peak of 56k+ (corrected by the pros salespeople of gag) how should do much better but it isn't. 500k copies is low if u ask me. Yes, it will reach the million for sure, but I was hoping it would sell better than horizon considering the good port and all.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

I used to think this myself, but it seems like the chip shortage is not going to end anytime soon so I think sony are going to bring these long term plans forward. I think you will see demons souls on pc later this year.
Chip shortage hurts the PC industry more than the console industry
By the end of the year, most likely, this will all stop in the console segment, unlike the PC, where the bacchanalia will continue, due to mining.
Do you understand that when games are released only for PS5, then the system requirements for PC players will increase?

Techies

It's concurrent users, now at 60 000, it means people who have fully downloaded the game and are playing it now. IT's also on Epicgames, there's not just steam.
Getting those numbers, mean it already sold around 1 million copies on the pc.

To get an sales estimate for a single player game, assume each player plays for an average of 2 hours per day and take into account there are various timezones. So every 2 hours one players logs out and another logs in.
12 x 60 000

That's 720 000 on Steam alone.

Another metric people use are 1/100 person leaves a review. That only really works after the 2nd week after release. At this moment there are 4000 reviews. That's 400 000 so far, but it's the second day.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
And why don't you think that this, on the contrary, will lead them to the idea that you can continue to release ports of games that have financially exhausted themselves on the console, and at the same time have extra money in the distance
So essentially they will continue to release games a few years after they release on Ps5
I actually think they might shorten that window. They can release the game as "new" on PC and charge $50 or $60 for it and get a ton of sales. Right now they charge $60 or $70 for a new game and then within six months the price is reduced significantly. Looking back at GOW you could buy the game for under $20 six months after release! If it was on PC at that point they could easily charge $50 or $60. I know their cut is a lot less on Steam, but still a lot more money to be made that way.

I don't think they'll shorten the window to six months but maybe a year? Right now still being in that launch window for the PS5 (especially due to shortages) we haven't seen PS5 game prices drop off that much, but once we get past these issues with shortages and Sony's PC porting studios are better equipped to handle the PC ports I think we will be seeing shorter windows from PS5 to PC. Certainly not the 3+ years we have with GOW.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony seeing them numbers

GIF by The Titan Games

ClosBSAS

So ppl stop getting confused by the numbers...steam peak x 10 is the most accurate form of measuring sales. Already being said by a developer once and it's been proven to be mostly right. Steamspy confirms this as well. It's as simple as that.

mejin

Relatively speaking, God of War has never been that popular. Or at least not until the most recent game. I just looked up sales of GOW games and the franchise stands at approx 50M as of Nov 2020. And with the 2018 game being at 20M in sales, that puts past games at an average of 5M each. So to say that GOW is a hit worldwide is a bit of a stretch. Sure if you want to say selling 1M per major territory is a hit, okay. 5M is still a great number, but not really a massive success.

It just needs one game. For example, there is no Halo game that achieved 20M Sales like GoW 2018. It is also more than half of Gears whole series.

Would you say Halo and Gears are not popular?

ClosBSAS

Heard the same with GOW. Look at how that turned out.

Bloodborne and DES are niche titles and will never get big numbers.

Ghost of Tsushima isn't gonna either considering it's a new IP and not as popular as GOW.

Reality is the PC market is insignificant for many reasons. Sony would have more success porting their games to Mobile, Xbox and Nintendo consoles.
Hahaha joke post? Bloodborne on PC will be huge, just look at how 0c playerbase loves soulsbourne games each game doing better than the last by a large margin and outselling console sale sin the long-run by a large margin.

Joke post is obvious troll Sony poster

YuLY

Decent on its own. But compare it to Monster Hunter Rise. Rise has more than double that figure! An absolutely amazing success for Capcom!
Thats a new game (yes port from switch but thats more limited than being on PS) versus 4year port.

It seems Assassins Creed Oddysey did 62000 peak concurrent (Origins 41k), and this already surpassed with currently 64000. GoW is doing great.

kingfey

Banned
Relatively speaking, God of War has never been that popular. Or at least not until the most recent game. I just looked up sales of GOW games and the franchise stands at approx 50M as of Nov 2020. And with the 2018 game being at 20M in sales, that puts past games at an average of 5M each. So to say that GOW is a hit worldwide is a bit of a stretch. Sure if you want to say selling 1M per major territory is a hit, okay. 5M is still a great number, but not really a massive success.
50m is impressive, considering its only got released in to 1 console.

YuLY

That's very low if u ask me. Horizon had a peak of 70k+ how should do much better but it isn't. 500k copies is low if u ask me. Yes, it will reach the million for sure, but I was hoping it would sell better than horizon considering the good port and all.
Horizon had 56000 stop spreading misinformation please.
For comparison, a huge francise like AC Oddysey and AC Origins did 62000 and 41000. Both now surpassed by GOW which has almost 65000.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It just needs one game. For example, there is no Halo game that achieved 20M Sales like GoW 2018. It is also more than half of Gears whole series.

halo 5 did 10m on xbox one. That is 55m console. Compared to god of war 120m console. You also need to consider gamnepass, which had the game in 2017.

Console numbers increases your sales.

How much does this cost on Steam?
The base game is free, but you have to pay 5$ to repair the axe from time to time, 10 for the blades of Olympus, you also need to pay childcare regularly (depending on your income) or you loose the kid and you have to start the game all over again.

The armors are sold at an auction house as NFTs.

It's a great system when you think about it!

kingfey

Banned
The base game is free, but you have to pay 5$ to repair the axe from time to time, 10 for the blades of Olympus, you also need to pay childcare regularly (depending on your income) or you loose the kid and you have to start the game all over again.

The armors are sold at an auction house as NFTs.

It's a great system when you think about it!
I will be broke, by the time i reach mid game.

Dolodolo

They will do after 1 year of release for now. Unless Sony is ready for day1 releases.
Because you said so, or so you wanted to?
Until the game is financially exhausted on consoles, it makes no sense to release it on the PC.
Yet again.
Some ports also serve as promos for future releases.
Like Uncharted to a movie. Or God of War to Ragnarok.

I will be broke, by the time i reach mid game.
That's the best trick with child care! I know my ex brother in law did it to my sister (I'm not even sure if she would not have paid to him... But he's that brilliant)... So he went on welfare and moved in the woods.

Mowcno

That's very low if u ask me. Horizon had a peak of 70k+ how should do much better but it isn't. 500k copies is low if u ask me. Yes, it will reach the million for sure, but I was hoping it would sell better than horizon considering the good port and all.
You are mistaken. Horizon peaked at 56k. God of War current is 64k and rising.

kingfey

Banned
That's the best trick with child care! I know my ex brother in law did it to my sister (I'm not even sure if she would not have paid to him... But he's that brilliant)... So he went on welfare and moved in the woods.
That is a sneaky brother. If that was me, i would have been the one to pay for the child care.

kingfey

Banned
Because you said so, or so you wanted to?
Until the game is financially exhausted on consoles, it makes no sense to release it on the PC.
Yet again.
Some ports also serve as promos for future releases.
Like Uncharted to a movie. Or God of War to Ragnarok.
The more you delay it, the more customer you will lose.

MS is gaining tons of money from day1, while releasing their game on their console, and on gamepass.

Sony would not make alot of money, if they do 2 year release date. By that time, the game loses its hype factor.

ClosBSAS

You are mistaken. Horizon peaked at 56k. God of War current is 64k and rising.
It's still low my man. Am a PC gamer, love the game as I have it on PS5 and bought it on PC. But this isn't as high as I was expecting. Monster Hunter Rise sold a million already and that's a switch port. Game is doing alright, no need to hyperbole anything. 650k copies so far. It'll reach the million for sure. And as o said, it's my opinion. Glad u think otherwise.

kingfey

Banned
It's still low my man. Am a PC gamer, love the game as I have it on PS5 and bought it on PC. But this isn't as high as I was expecting. Monster Hunter Rise sold a million already and that's a switch port. Game is doing alright, no need to hyperbole anything. 650k copies so far. It'll reach the million for sure. And as o said, it's my opinion. Glad u think otherwise.
monster hunter world sold 5m on pc. Rise would sell close to that.

yurinka

Horizon had 56000 stop spreading misinformation please.
For comparison, a huge francise like AC Oddysey and AC Origins did 62000 and 41000. Both now surpassed by GOW which has almost 65000.
Horizon had an all time peak of 56,557 concurrent users. GoW is now at ~65K and growing with less than 1 day of tracked data, and are numbers that require some time to be properly updated, plus the game's peak pretty likely will be during the first week, not during day one.

I estimate that the GoW sales on PC are going to be pretty higher than the Horizon ones (we still haven't seen the GoW peak, it keeps growing).

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Your x10 logic is likely to be wrong.
HZD with a peak 56K sold over 700k copies at launch. Source
GOW peaked at 65k today and pre-order were presumably a lot higher than HZD

We also have no idea how many copies were sold on Epic.
It's probably close to 1 million digital copies sold for a 4 years old single player game that is free on PS+.

People can twist it the way they want, it's a successful launch and a great port.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Your x10 logic is likely to be wrong.
HZD with a peak 56K sold over 700k copies at launch. Source
GOW peaked at 65k today and pre-order were presumably a lot higher than HZD

We also have no idea how many copies were sold on Epic.
It's probably close to 1 million digital copies sold for a 4 years old single player game that is free on PS+.

People can twist it the way they want, it's a successful launch and a great port.
X10 has already proven to be right. When steamspy numbers come I'll show u that too since I am a Patreon. Yes, epic games numbers are not factored but I'll doubt many bought there when u have steam

kingfey

Banned
This is SP game. You have to remember SP games dont have a higher concurrent player count. Plus you can finish the game later, and not forced to play it now.

Actual copies sold would be higher.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's concurrent users, now at 60 000, it means people who have fully downloaded the game and are playing it now. IT's also on Epicgames, there's not just steam.
Getting those numbers, mean it already sold around 1 million copies on the pc.

To get an sales estimate for a single player game, assume each player plays for an average of 2 hours per day and take into account there are various timezones. So every 2 hours one players logs out and another logs in.
12 x 60 000

That's 720 000 on Steam alone.

Another metric people use are 1/100 person leaves a review. That only really works after the 2nd week after release. At this moment there are 4000 reviews. That's 400 000 so far, but it's the second day.

I wouldn't be surprised if EGS only took 1-2% of all players.

Lognor

Banned

I didn't mention Gears though?

GOW has one major hit in the series. Again, 5m isn't bad, but only one game really broke out. Also, Halo has a tv series coming out. It is much more popular. GOW doesn't have any movies or tv shows. Only games, and all in the same genre. Halo has some type of strategy game too. Very popular.

Relique

This thread was a fun read. Surprised to see so much doom and gloom over concurrent player numbers. It was fun seeing comparisons between a port of a 4 year old single player game to free to play multiplayer stuff like Infinite.
X10 has already proven to be right. When steamspy numbers come I'll show u that too since I am a Patreon. Yes, epic games numbers are not factored but I'll doubt many bought there when u have steam
We can say that a method of estimation has been close in the past, but we can't "prove" an estimate to be right... it's an estimate. There are always going to be outliers. Someone just showed you an example where Horizon sold more than what your estimate would imply.

Tripolygon

Banned
Concurrent player stats =/= Total sales

Red Dead Redemption 2 has a peak concurrent player of 55,269, I don't understand why there is a need to do mental gymnastics to twist that into a bad stat. The concurrent player stat is always much lower than total sales over time of a game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So if horizon sold 700k after a peak of 56k then let’s assume gow sold a million after a slightly higher peak. That’s $50 million in revenue though steam takes $15 million of that. Let’s assume porting costs are small around $5 million. Sony gets a cool $30 million revenue from this PC port in the first month.

Chump change for a company that made $25 billion from Its PlayStation division but this isn’t about increasing revenue. Its about execs lining up their pockets with any extra cash they can find. They will probably split the $30 million amongst themselves. Sony mentioned ROI or return over investment when talking about pc sales of horizon and days gone. That’s all that matters since every game comes with its own sets of sales targets and if this thing only cost a fraction of what they made, doesnt matter how much they made. They still get their bonuses.

P.s lol at people comparing halo infinite pvp numbers to this. that’s a free game that literally just came out. This is a 4 year old game that already sold 20 million.

Because the pc games could also profit from Sony's insane multimillion dollar marketing. They would sell much more with that marketing. I'm pretty sure "a few years" will become a few months this gen and i also think at some point they will be day1 pc.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So ppl stop getting confused by the numbers...steam peak x 10 is the most accurate form of measuring sales. Already being said by a developer once and it's been proven to be mostly right. Steamspy confirms this as well. It's as simple as that.

The game was released on Playstation a long time ago. You shouldn't expect older titles to sell like day 1 on all platforms, especially not single player games. These numbers are good. You don't have to agree.

Rare announced that Sea of Thieves sold more than 3 million copies on Steam alone, and the game didn't even reach 70,000.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Because the pc games could also profit from Sony's insane multimillion dollar marketing. They would sell much more with that marketing. I'm pretty sure "a few years" will become a few months this gen and i also think at some point they will be day1 pc.
I don't know if I would go there because Sony will have a hard time getting people to pay $70 on PC for day one releases, and Sony gets more from PS5 games since they don't have to give Steam a cut.

So far this gen PS5 games have maintained their prices. It is not like last gen where PS4 games were easily bought for $30 or less a month or two after launch. Demons Souls came out a year ago and it's still $70. That's really unheard of from Sony (that's more in line with Nintendo's pricing strategy!). Maybe sales will happen quicker as more PS5s are sold, but I think Sony will keep their games off PC for a year, at least. Now if prices start to drop as rapidly as they did on the PS4 maybe that turns into 6 months. But I don't see Sony doing day one releases on PC.

Osaka_Boss

Now bring Ragnarok to PC and I'll be happy

You clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. You are only accounting official numbers on your region and Europe. To this day, gow is still played in ps2s and ps3s around the globe. Thanks to piracy, since it's release, gow is widely recognized even outside of gaming in most regions of the planet among hardcore and casual gamers. Halo for instance has never had a similar broad impact.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
You clearly have no idea of what you are talking about.
?

Am I wrong with the sales? Those are the numbers I got from Google. There have been 7 GOW games. The latest GOW game did 20M. That leaves 30M for the other 6 GOW games, or an average of 5M per game. I am not saying 5M is bad; in fact, it's a good number. But it's not lighting the world on fire alongside monster hits like Mario, GTA, etc. GOW only became uber popular with the latest release. Maybe going forward it will be one of the most popular games, but it never was before 2018.

I don't know if I would go there because Sony will have a hard time getting people to pay $70 on PC for day one releases, and Sony gets more from PS5 games since they don't have to give Steam a cut.

So far this gen PS5 games have maintained their prices. It is not like last gen where PS4 games were easily bought for $30 or less a month or two after launch. Demons Souls came out a year ago and it's still $70. That's really unheard of from Sony (that's more in line with Nintendo's pricing strategy!). Maybe sales will happen quicker as more PS5s are sold, but I think Sony will keep their games off PC for a year, at least. Now if prices start to drop as rapidly as they did on the PS4 maybe that turns into 6 months. But I don't see Sony doing day one releases on PC.
I think the Steam cut and the cut for the psysical PS games balance out. You are right with the higher prices this gen, i just said that in another thread. But we haven't seen one of those multimillion dollar marketing games yet. They will go all in with marketing on Horizon and God of War, it will be interesting so see if those games drop faster than the smaller games with low marketing budget. They could feel the need to sell as many as possible because of the high costs. Really not sure yet where Sony is going with the AAA prices.

Top Bottom