• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok announced for PC, coming in 2024 | State of Play

Draugoth

Gold Member

kY3dCdk.png

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you tell me previously that the biggest announcement from Playstation mid year event in 2024 is a PC game, I wouldn’t have believed you.

Man this is crazy. Gonna sell my PS5 copy asap

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I got bored really quick with this one on PS5.

Will probably give it another shot on PC when I can get it for $20 or so.

MikeM

Got the plat on PS5. Gonna do the Steam equivalent on PC. Game is amazing, including the Valhalla DLC.

Leonidas

Good to see the PC get the complete version of the game with Valhalla DLC and improved features (DLSS, high framerate) only 9 months after the PS5 early access got the Valhalla DLC.

Given the reception, I'll pick it up on a Steam Sale and blast through it in a weekend.

Reception is great

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yah I saw that DLSS3.7 too. It was released last month or two by Nvidia I think

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Had eyes on god of war 2 ragnarok for a while now I know summer deals are coming and my wallet will be ready.

ZehDon

Reception is great

The content of the thread your posting in disagrees.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
A bunch of vocal haters that like to just shit on everything

Ragnarok has far better combat and side content, pacing at times is poor. But it’s really a much better game than 2018 if you enjoyed that and can put up with 1-2 sloggy sections
I enjoyed 2018. Ragnarok is a much worse game.

"Pacing is poor at times" is one hell of an understatement. The game is fraught with absolutely shit long sections, especially anything involving Atreus. Ironwood is a travesty to this series and it's almost 2 hours long. The whole climb to Asgard and then Asgard itself is a snoozefest. That portion in the desert where you just go from one place to the other on that wolf sled doing shitty puzzles is awful. That part with Tyr in the realm elves where every 2 minutes is interrupted by that crystal puzzle thing gets annoying after the second round, and the list goes on

The core gameplay remains intact, but SSM determined that people were having too much fun fighting and decided to intersect drawn-out puzzles every three minutes and quadruple the number of cutscenes and dialogue. There are way more than 1-2 sloggy sections lol. Don't even get me started on the awful writing. Can't wait for the mod that will just cut out Ironwood from the game.

The small improvements to the combat don't make up for the dramatic drop in quality in everything else.

Last edited:
I enjoyed 2018 and Ragnarok is a much worse game.

"Pacing is poor at times" is one hell of an understatement. The game is fraught with absolutely shit long sections, especially anything involving Atreus. Ironwood is a travesty to this series and it's almost 2 hours long. The whole climb to Asgard and then Asgard itself is a snoozefest. That portion in the desert where you just go from one place to the other on that wolf sled doing shitty puzzles is awful. That part with Tyr in the realm elves where every 2 minutes is interrupted by that crystal puzzle thing gets annoying after the second round, and the list goes on

The core gameplay remains intact, but SSM determined that people were having too much fun fighting and decided to intersect drawn-out puzzles every three minutes and quadruple the number of cutscenes and dialogue. There are way more than 1-2 sloggy sections lol. Don't even get me started on the awful writing.

There's only 1 majorly long level that's paced poorly. The rest is absolutely fine and consistent with 2018's pacing. The boy in both games gets tiring. Asgard is not that much of a snoozefest. It's moments of walk and talk (like the original, mind you) broken up with combat sequences. Ironwood is the only poor part.

The gameplay is much improved - far better variety in terms of abilities and enemies. There's literally a single troll in 2018 that's repeated through most of the game. The side content at the end when the game opens up is also incredible, as is the Valhalla DLC.

There's far more combat in Ragnarok than there is in 2018 - which is as bare bones as it gets in the god of war series, but because it was new and ambitious it gets a pass but that was absolutely a major flaw.

Gaiff

There's only 1 majorly long level that's paced poorly. The rest is absolutely fine and consistent with 2018's pacing.
All Atreus sections are poorly paced and not consistent with 2018. There are many of them.
The boy in both games gets tiring.
He was alright in 2018. Just a kid following his dad. He only gets irritating in one section later in the game. Besides, you don't get to play as him, so that's fine.
Asgard is not that much of a snoozefest. It's moments of walk and talk (like the original, mind you) broken up with combat sequences.

This is 18 minutes long. There is a single combat section at the 12 minute. You cannot tell me that this is fine. It's not the only portion of the game that's like this. Even prior to that, you spend your time fighting a bunch of Nightmares.
The gameplay is much improved - far better variety in terms of abilities and enemies. There's literally a single troll in 2018 that's repeated through most of the game. The side content at the end when the game opens up is also incredible, as is the Valhalla DLC.

There's far more combat in Ragnarok than there is in 2018 - which is as bare bones as it gets in the god of war series, but because it was new and ambitious it gets a pass but that was absolutely a major flaw.
There's far more combat because the game is like twice as long, but there's also far more dialogue and cutscenes. The game could have been an easy improvement, but the idiot director decided not to innovate and kept the single camera shot which made no sense for this game. He also chose to cram 80% of the story into a single title. One of the reasons it's so poorly paced is because the storytelling is uneven. 2018 barely moves it forward whereas Ragnarok has too much going on, resulting in a poor climax. There are about 10 characters, with only 6 appearing consistently in 2018. Ragnarok more than triples that amount.

Last edited:
All Atreus sections are poorly paced and not consistent with 2018. There are many of them.

He was alright in 2018. Just a kid following his dad. He only gets irritating in one section later in the game. Besides, you don't get to play as him, so that's fine.

This is 18 minutes long. There is a single combat section at the 12 minute. You cannot tell me that this is fine. It's not the only portion of the game that's like this. Even prior to that, you spend your time fighting a bunch of Nightmares.

There's far more combat because the game is like twice as long, but there's also far more dialogue and cutscenes. The game could have been an easy improvement, but the idiot director decided not to innovate and kept the single camera shot which made no sense for this game. He also chose to cram 80% of the story into a single title. One of the reasons it's so poorly paced is because the storytelling is uneven. 2018 barely moves it forward whereas Ragnarok has too much going on, resulting in a poor climax. There are about 10 characters, with only 6 appearing consistently in 2018. Ragnarok more than triples that amount.

oh no, not 18 minutes. anyway.

I am not disagreeing that the game could be paced better. That's my main complaint. But the combat is so much more of a focus in this game it doesn't really matter, and with the amount of side content that is mostly action focused it doesn't seem like those sloggy (18 minute) sections are that much of an issue.

ZehDon

A bunch of vocal haters that like to just shit on everything...
So everyone who dislikes can be dismissed, so it's actually perfect? C'mon man, let's be a little more honest. Elsewhere on the internet, the sentiment is largely the same: it's a good game - but one that, overall, ends up a step down from its predecessor.

I liked GOW 2018 just fine - but it was already kinda drawn out, in bad need of an editor, and suffers from the game-stops-so-you-can-walk-and-talk-for-fifteen-minutes that fills a lot of these kind of cinematic games. From what I've read, Ragnarok actually makes those issues worse. For me, it's a game I'll buy on discount, blow through it in a weekend, and never revisit it.

Gaiff

oh no, not 18 minutes. anyway.
If it only happened once and not 10 times, it wouldn't be a problem.
I am not disagreeing that the game could be paced better. That's my main complaint. But the combat is so much more of a focus in this game it doesn't really matter, and with the amount of side content that is mostly action focused it doesn't seem like those sloggy (18 minute) sections are that much of an issue.
Sure, but as I said before, they went from a cast of fewer than 10 characters to over 30. There is way way more talking and dialogue in Ragnarok and the walking sections are also far longer. That's why I said the only improvement is to the combat. Everything else is worse.

MarkMe2525

I just finished my first playthrough of Ragnarok two days ago (I'm now working on Valhalla expansion) and I agree to a large extent. I really enjoyed the story aspects of the Atreus portions, but damn did they drag. Overall, I really enjoyed the game, but at my age, I find it difficult to get invested in a story revolving around a dorky 15 year old.

So everyone who dislikes can be dismissed, so it's actually perfect? C'mon man, let's be a little more honest. Elsewhere on the internet, the sentiment is largely the same: it's a good game - but one that, overall, ends up a step down from its predecessor.

I liked GOW 2018 just fine - but it was already kinda drawn out, in bad need of an editor, and suffers from the game-stops-so-you-can-walk-and-talk-for-fifteen-minutes that fills a lot of these kind of cinematic games. From what I've read, Ragnarok actually makes those issues worse. For me, it's a game I'll buy on discount, blow through it in a weekend, and never revisit it.

Nah. They are free to have their own opinion. General consensus is that it's a good game though.

If you don't want more GoW, don't play it, or wait for sale. This is basically more of the same with greatly expanded combat, enemies, and bosses.

Ragnarok does have worse pacing issues, but don't let that fool you from the fact that there's far more actual gameplay if you enjoy the combat.

If it only happened once and not 10 times, it wouldn't be a problem.

Sure, but as I said before, they went from a cast of fewer than 10 characters to over 30. There is way way more talking and dialogue in Ragnarok and the walking sections are also far longer. That's why I said the only improvement is to the combat. Everything else is worse.

Improvement to combat is the core of the game though.

I enjoyed the expanded characters and the dialogue sections, they just needed to cut it down a bit and get rid of the egregious walk and talk sections. Overall though the combat trumps all

DanielG165

kept the single camera shot which made no sense for this game.
I agree with this. With the scope, scale, and prospect of what Ragnarok means and what it’s supposed to be for the Norse mythology… Keeping the same camera technique from GoW 2018 was a mistake imo. It worked perfectly in the latter game because of the tight and intimate story, but to have your cinematography constrained in such a manner when dealing with what is supposed to be the end of the world, it begins to fall flat and start cracking at the seams.

It makes an epic mythical tragedy feel smaller than it should be. Overall, Ragnarok kind of fell flat for me, personally. GoW 2018 was a considerably stronger and tighter game that I still happily revisit on my PC to this day, and my opinions on it haven’t changed. It’s simply a better curated game imo. Ragnarok, despite what Balrog said about game development taking long, should have been split into two separate titles. An event like that deserves to breathe and have time to build and intensify.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Improvement to combat is the core of the game though.

I enjoyed the expanded characters and the dialogue sections, they just needed to cut it down a bit and get rid of the egregious walk and talk sections. Overall though the combat trumps all
Yeah, Cory really didn’t want to make a third game. In hindsight, 2018 should have been a bit longer with a bigger cast and Ragnarok have a smaller cast. It’s crazy how 80% of the major events happen in one game.

I might replay it for PC. It was really tough going through this on the PS4 Pro.

Yeah, Cory really didn’t want to make a third game. In hindsight, 2018 should have been a bit longer with a bigger cast and Ragnarok have a smaller cast. It’s crazy how 80% of the major events happen in one game.

I might replay it for PC. It was really tough going through this on the PS4 Pro.

If you played it on PS4 Pro probably worth giving it another shot on PC.

PS5 definitely felt really polished visually and a step up from what I played of 2018 on PS4 Pro. Helps that I played it at a solid 60 fps too.

pasterpl

A bunch of vocal haters that like to just shit on everything

Ragnarok has far better combat and side content, pacing at times is poor. But it’s really a much better game than 2018 if you enjoyed that and can put up with 1-2 sloggy sections
Aren’t you getting tired defending Sony in every thread? Unless you are getting paid, in that case good job, but even paid shills deserve breaks.

Aren’t you getting tired defending Sony in every thread? Unless you are getting paid, in that case good job, but even paid shills deserve breaks.

I love the God of War series and think Ragnarok is worth playing for people on PC.

There's a lot of negativity, much of it from shills (like yourself), that seems to drown out everyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom