• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok announced for PC, coming in 2024 | State of Play

pasterpl

I love the God of War series and think Ragnarok is worth playing for people on PC.

There's a lot of negativity, much of it from shills (like yourself), that seems to drown out everyone else.
You seem like a person that is unable to accept opinion that is other than yours. If someone didn’t like something like you did, you fight it. You need to understand that people have various tastes and there is no point of wasting your energy convincing them otherwise if they already made their mind. You end up looking like a warrior.

You seem like a person that is unable to accept opinion that is other than yours. If someone didn’t like something like you did, you fight it. You need to understand that people have various tastes and there is no point of wasting your energy convincing them otherwise if they already made their mind. You end up looking like a warrior.

If you say so, I have no problem with people having an opinion and discussing it. It's a forum, after all. It's just a friendly debate. I have no beef with Gaiff Gaiff and appreciate our discussions even if I don't agree all the time

winjer

Gold Member
fHjE713.jpeg

MarkMe2525

I love the God of War series and think Ragnarok is worth playing for people on PC.

There's a lot of negativity, much of it from shills (like yourself), that seems to drown out everyone else.
Would you consider yourself a shill? The cognitive dissonance you are displaying (when you say this) is fascinating.

Sanepar

What is weird reviews are great for this game, it looks expand and do better everything from the firts, but people here say is a bad game...

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What is weird reviews are great for this game, it looks expand and do better everything from the firts, but people here say is a bad game...

It's just a bigger and longer version of God of War 2018. Which is fine, but I think many were hoping for a more groundbreaking leap in the vein of Uncharted -> Uncharted 2 or something of the like.

I personally think critics overrated Ragnarok, but that's just my personal take.

Topher

Gold Member
I enjoyed 2018. Ragnarok is a much worse game.

"Pacing is poor at times" is one hell of an understatement. The game is fraught with absolutely shit long sections, especially anything involving Atreus. Ironwood is a travesty to this series and it's almost 2 hours long. The whole climb to Asgard and then Asgard itself is a snoozefest. That portion in the desert where you just go from one place to the other on that wolf sled doing shitty puzzles is awful. That part with Tyr in the realm elves where every 2 minutes is interrupted by that crystal puzzle thing gets annoying after the second round, and the list goes on

The core gameplay remains intact, but SSM determined that people were having too much fun fighting and decided to intersect drawn-out puzzles every three minutes and quadruple the number of cutscenes and dialogue. There are way more than 1-2 sloggy sections lol. Don't even get me started on the awful writing. Can't wait for the mod that will just cut out Ironwood from the game.

The small improvements to the combat don't make up for the dramatic drop in quality in everything else.

I tend to agree. I absolutely loved the 2018 game and I platinumed that one. I was ready for Rag to be over a few hours before the credits rolled. Didn't even bother going for the plat. Overall, I was disappointed.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Eh, I’ll get it on sale. I miss the days when a new God of War was a big event.

I guess there’s no returning to the old style.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you tell me previously that the biggest announcement from Playstation mid year event in 2024 is a PC game, I wouldn’t have believed you.

Man this is crazy. Gonna sell my PS5 copy asap

You're becoming too transparent. You gotta hide it better.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

DUDE..........GOW:R was very well received. James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford opinion is closer to the norm than the "IT SUCKS" crowd. That's a fact.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
When I played Ragnarok I thought it was good, great even, but in hindsight I feel it was a bit of a disappointment. Too much content felt rehashed, from locations to bosses to realms, a lot just felt the same. It had some weird pacing issues. Worst offender is of course the section with Angrboda, just awful and plain boring to play. I haven't seen anyone actually like that part of the game. Another disappointment were the graphics. They were uneven to the point where the PS5 version felt extremely last gen. Guerilla made Forbidden West feel like a true next gen showcase even if it was cross gen, but Ragnarok had parts where you could tell it was stuck in 2018. The same goes for the loading times. They used the same trick as GoW 2018, which was fine for PS4, but on PS5? I thought traveling to other realms would be done in an instant, but instead we got the same boring talking shit before the portal opened. There was not much variety in new weapons. The spear weapon Gungnir wasn't as fun as Leviathan axe and Chaos Blades. Would have loved something like the Nemean Cestus from GoW 3 or Typhoons Bane from the second installment.

The game does have some great parts though. Thor and Odin steals every scene they are in, especially Thor. He is easily the highlight of the game and he is also involved in the best scene in the entire game. Asgard was a fantastic new realm to explore, loved it everytime you went there and got the chance to explore it. The same for Svartalfheim and Vanaheim. Great new additions to the Nine Realms. The action is as satisfying as the first one, it had better set pieces and bigger fights, like in previous GoW. The fight against Fenrir was awesome.

Overall Ragnarok is good and definitely worth a playthrough. It's polished and delivers some truly awesome spectacle, but I had hopes it was going to be a bigger and better leap from the original. Although, it's a very high bar to cross so maybe it's unrealistic expectations.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not trying to be inflammatory, but they should have ported God of War 3 Remastered over this. I think the gameplay focus would have done well with PC gamers.

I’d also have said do the Nathan Drake Collection over this because the story in the original trilogy is much better than GoW R.

keefged4

Not trying to be inflammatory, but they should have ported God of War 3 Remastered over this. I think the gameplay focus would have done well with PC gamers.

I’d also have said do the Nathan Drake Collection over this because the story in the original trilogy is much better than GoW R.
Agree 100%. Played 3 recently, still holds up. Also its mind boggling why they've ported Uncharted Legacy of Thieves without doing the original 3 first, as they are much better games. Hopefully they come too at some point

Top Bottom