• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

Oppoi

Monaco has amazing tax rates (read as pay no taxes on money made outside the state).
Its actually a pretty beautiful place, the weather is great, the people are generally really nice, and the crime rate is nonexistent.

Questions for Sony.
It was a callback to Larry Hryb's quote regarding the Xbox One always online problem with rural areas. He said something just like that.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If they're making it clear PSN's required before launch then no problems.

The Helldivers 2 situation was bad because they grabbed everyone's money and then forced the requirement on everyone after all was said and done even while people already knew that the game could work without PSN.

The only complaint I have here is.... Why God of War specifically? That game doesn't even have an online mode? And is this from any official source?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
First you said...

"It's not, that's why you don't heard of Ubi, or EA etc... needing an account on Steam."

You then said...

"No you don't. Of course you will get a few people complaining but absolutely not at the same level as for Helldivers II."
I was responding to "Why is making an account such a big deal?"
My response: it's not (a big deal).

I did NOT say you don't need an EA or Ubi account, I said you don't see many complain as opposed to Helldivers II (and I explained why).

Now you are saying you want a receipt for(as you put it) so many people complaining.

4Trmi09.gif

LOL
I think we misunderstood each other here. I though you were saying "you do heard PC players complaining" here.
Me: that's why you don't heard of Ubi, or EA etc... needing an account on Steam
You: yes you do (heard of them, I thought)

So, did I just score?
I originally quoted you saying it wasn't required and that statement is wrong.

All of the other stuff you are talking to yourself about.
Lol indeed. It's me, the non English speaker who needs to explain this. If you don't get the difference between HEARD and NEED, it's on you.
Here is a totally random example:

1) That's why you don't heard of Ubi, or EA etc... needing an account on Steam
2) That's why you don't NEED an Ubi, or EA etc... account on Steam

See the difference? Please tell me you see it. Why is it so hard to read for some people.

S0ULZB0URNE

I was responding to "Why is making an account such a big deal?"
My response: it's not (a big deal).

I did NOT say you don't need an EA or Ubi account, I said you don't see many complain as opposed to Helldivers II (and I explained why).

I think we misunderstood each other here. I though you were saying "you do heard PC players complaining" here.
Me: that's why you don't heard of Ubi, or EA etc... needing an account on Steam
You: yes you do (heard of them, I thought)

So, did I just score?

Lol indeed. It's me, the non English speaker who needs to explain this. If you don't get the difference between HEARD and NEED, it's on you.
Here is a totally random example:

1) That's why you don't heard of Ubi, or EA etc... needing an account on Steam
2) That's why you don't NEED an Ubi, or EA etc... account on Steam

See the difference? Please tell me you see it. Why is it so hard to read for some people.
I see now m8.
Misunderstanding

ES1i9cY.gif

Topher

Gold Member
That shit is unnecessary, reduces Sony’s market for the game and it’s just fucking annoying.

I hate when companies make that shit mandatory. At least they could do something useful with it like cross-save or whatnot. This is pointless.

I was just scrolling through the game features and there is just no reason for it. I'm wondering if this is a mistake

StereoVsn

I was just scrolling through the game features and there is just no reason for it. I'm wondering if this is a mistake
I think Sony wants their engagement figures or something equally dumb.

I can’t see how it’s worth losing a decent amount of potential customers, but I am sure there is some equally stupid reason behind it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ermmmm theyve taken the "right" to do business with them away from consumers.
If you cant buy the game in region xyz you dont have a choice, the decision isnt in your hands.
All they really need to do is not geotag PSN IDs, theres no reason to, if the person has paid for your game what do you care, theyve got the money and whatever other information they want to gather.

Ubisoft, EA, Xbox, Rockstar dont restrict you from purchasing the game if you live in regions they dont officially support.
So its a very different story.

^This is of course assuming the PSN requirement is actually true.
Ghost of Tsushima was originally announced as requiring PSN, but then it was clarified that PSN was only required for the MP......the singleplayer doesnt require PSN.
Let's eat hamburger and chesse

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I mean pc and ps is a duo, so you have to create an account and sign? This is what big companies do.

sachos

Are we sure they are not totally misinterpreting that message? "Account for PSN is required" it does not say it needs the account to play the single player game. Im pretty sure this just means you need an account to use the PSN Overlay, same as their other games, we already knew that.

EDIT: Ok there actually is a note on the Steam page saying "PlayStation Network Account required, subject to the PlayStation Terms of Services and User Agreement http://www.playstationnetwork.com/terms-of-service" Fuck this shit.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Ermmmm theyve taken the "right" to do business with them away from consumers.
If you cant buy the game in region xyz you dont have a choice, the decision isnt in your hands.
All they really need to do is not geotag PSN IDs, theres no reason to, if the person has paid for your game what do you care, theyve got the money and whatever other information they want to gather.

The decision regarding their product is up to Sony though. The choice we have as players to boycott this applies only to those located where the game is available.

Of course there are other means for people in unsupported regions to play their single players games and I wouldn't blame them for it.

Kabelly

Unless it's multiplayer I don't understand why they're adding this requirement. All their releases so far have been fine without it. I forgot Ghost of Tshushima even has the requirement because I haven't tried the online yet.

It should continue to be an option if you want to sync your trophies and stuff, not a requirement for the privilage to play.

dcx4610

Not surprising. I'm kinda shocked it didn't happen sooner or Sony locking all their games behind a Sony storefront.

Hero_Select

If they're making it clear PSN's required before launch then no problems.

The Helldivers 2 situation was bad because they grabbed everyone's money and then forced the requirement on everyone after all was said and done even while people already knew that the game could work without PSN.

The only complaint I have here is.... Why God of War specifically? That game doesn't even have an online mode? And is this from any official source?
Probably as a way towards it counting for their MAU I imagine

Three

ok, you first? :goog_relieved:

Afaik, those companies require extra logins: Rockstar, Sony, Ubisoft, EA, maybe Bethesda? And that's it?
If to you, those mean "all the other big third party games" then man, you need to broaden your horizons.
So the big third parties? Activision Blizzard too. What other 'big third party' do you know?

Shtef

Gold Member
Even if the psn account is not required for singleplayer, god of war and ghost of tsushima are not available in my region. Sony doesnt want my money and i will gladly not give them.

Killjoy-NL

Even if the psn account is not required for singleplayer, god of war and ghost of tsushima are not available in my region. Sony doesnt want my money and i will gladly not give them.
Pretty sure Playstation is aware of that.

But if they make Billions in revenue, that $1M they miss out on from all those countries combined probably isn't a big deal.

pasterpl

Pretty sure Playstation is aware of that.

But if they make Billions in revenue, that $1M they miss out on from all those countries combined probably isn't a big deal.
Do you sincerely believe that any corporation is happy leaving money on the table?

Top Bottom