• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rules

• Votes are publicly available
  • You CAN NOT change your vote
  • Voters are able to suggest losers' avatar
  • Only participants (voters) are able to make avatar suggestions
  • Honorable judges will pick and make available a pool of the suggested avatars for losers to use
  • Losers' avatar should be changed upon losing the bet
  • Avatars must be used until 12:01am 1/1/2023
  • OP won't participate in order to be unbiased in avatar selection. His vote is only to be able to see voters list.
  • BY VOTING YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE BET
  • NO OTHER GOTY CONTENDERS WILL BE CONSIDERED
  • AVATAR BET IS VOIDED IF NEITHER WIN
  • THE GAME AWARDS ON DECEMBER 8th (Hosted by Geoff Keighley) WILL DECIDE YOUR FATE

The avatar bet thread for GOW:R was such fun, I thought, why not create another one?

(Shoutout to .Pennywise for the excellent thread template)

Elden Ring emerges victorious!

Brave fallen warriors, update your avatars asap:

1f1hDDj.png

Last edited:
Anyone have some avatars handy that will bring great shame and dishonor to all who display it? And, for the victors, ones that will bring honor to their houses and favor with the GODS?

Topher

Gold Member
Rules

• Votes are publicly available
  • You CAN NOT change your vote
  • Voters are able to suggest losers' avatar
  • Only participants (voters) are able to make avatar suggestions
  • Honorable judges will pick and make available a pool of the suggested avatars for losers to use
  • Losers' avatar should be changed upon losing the bet
  • Avatars must be used until 12:01am 1/1/2023
  • OP won't participate in order to be unbiased in avatar selection. His vote is only to be able to see voters list.
  • BY VOTING YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE BET
  • NO OTHER GOTY CONTENDERS WILL BE CONSIDERED
  • AVATAR BET IS VOIDED IF NEITHER WIN

The avatar bet thread for GOW:R was such fun, I thought, why not create another one?

(Shoutout to .Pennywise for the excellent thread template)

I think you need some parameters for GOTY as there is a ton of outlets that hand out GOTY awards. So are we talking about one award in particular or cumulative number such as....

What constitutes as the official GOTY award? It's not always cut and dry with so many different outlets giving the award.

Elden Ring will win, but Ragnarok is great. I'm not voting, as I don't do avatar bets.

Both are games of the year to me. Totally different but both world class games. Regarding the votes, I think elden ring get more overall but it could be very close.

Banned
Elden Ring definitely deserves it but game critics are usually shallow and therefore even tho Elden Ring clearly is the better game it still has the chance to lose because it doesn't have a "story" difficulty mode.

so I'm not willing to take this bet

Last edited:

Vick

Not betting but I think GOW will win.

Majority of goty winners are cinematic story games. Very narrative driven.
Not sure this is true.

Overwatch destroyed Uncharted 4, and God of War won over what’s probably the best cinematic game of all time, RDR2.

Sure, God of War had cutscenes and a big focus on story, but was also the most gamey and gameplay centric western videogame ever made.

Haggard

Banned
Elden Ring for me.
GoW:R is a fantastic game, but in the end it's 'just' a slightly refined version of the predecessor with a different story.

Elden Ring brought the dark souls formula into one of the most interesting open worlds ever and has vastly better minute to minute gameplay and gameplay variety. And while I'm enjoying my time with GoW... Elden Ring is just the better game.

Last edited:

skneogaf

God of war ragnarok is unbelievably polished from what I've played but Elden Ring changed the way people were wanting games to be from that moment onwards.

People now don't want a ui to be giving all the information to you and were amazed that you could literally skip everything and do your own journey how you want.

Both games are as good as it gets!

Neither deserve to not get the award.

Topher

Gold Member
Playing God of War R now and it is clear that like everything else, this is just a matter of personal preference. Either Elden Ring or God of War R could win the most GOTY awards and I'd be completely fine with it. Might as well argue favorite colors, really.

Top Bottom