• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Avatar bet? Another avatar bet. GOTY Battle: God of War: Ragnarök vs Elden Ring (Voting ends Nov. 2nd)

Which will win more GOTY Awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chiggs

It's going to be glorious when Ragnarok loses. Fuck off, Kratos, you little bitch.

YJ4LQu3.png

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I don’t know about Ragnarök & it’s not cause of the game, reviewers will pick the most retarded shit to complain about all of a sudden & one Stevivor review is enough to tank that score.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don’t know about Ragnarök & it’s not cause of the game, reviewers will pick the most retarded shit to complain about all of a sudden & one Stevivor review is enough to tank that score.
GOTY has little to do with review scores. It’s a select number of people at a select number of gaming websites that vote what’s their favorite game of the year. Popularity contest.

It Takes Two (2021), TLOUP2 (2020), Death Stranding (2019), GOW (2018) wasn’t the highest rated games.

Elden Ring is popular. But Playstation is a juggernaught and God of War is a popular IP and Ragnarök is on PS5 AND PS4, that’s one huge excited fanbase.
It’s a bummer that Starfield wasn’t there too this year, and BOTW2.

nicoGec

GOTY has little to do with review scores. It’s a select number of people at a select number of gaming websites that vote what’s their favorite game of the year. Popularity contest.

It Takes Two (2021), TLOUP2 (2020), Death Stranding (2019), GOW (2018) wasn’t the highest rated games.

Elden Ring is popular. But Playstation is a juggernaught and God of War is a popular IP and Ragnarök is on PS5 AND PS4, that’s one huge excited fanbase.
It’s a bummer that Starfield wasn’t there too this year, and BOTW2.
If you put it that way, isn’t game of the year more significant and involved that reviews?

Reviews are made from one person of the site, GOTY is picked by the site staff altogether.

ABnormal

I'm still thinking that it doesnt make sense to have a poll about a game that is not even out yet. We know the excellency of the first, so we can have an opinion, but we have still to play the second, so it's a poll based only on faith. We can be obviously relatively sure that it will be a great game, but there's no way to evaluate yet it can be a GOTY or not.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Elden ring will win more GOTY awards. I don’t see God of War doing anything so bombastic it moves its’ series or genre forward. GoW 2018 was a total revamp and a breath of fresh air. This looks like fine tuning and expanding upon that formula like a sequel should.

I expect high marks all around but most people still feeling like Elden Ring had the best to offer players this year .

Helps too Elden Ring is on all platforms so really it’ll have more sources to win the award from where a Sony exclusive can’t be PC Gamers GOTY or a Xbox publication site either .

Last edited:

Fredrik

If you put it that way, isn’t game of the year more significant and involved that reviews?

Reviews are made from one person of the site, GOTY is picked by the site staff altogether.
I doubt all media voters are as serious as reviews, but if you want quantity you can look at GAF’s GOTY and get an even bigger quantity of opinions, picked by a couple thousand real gamers. It all depends what you’re looking for.

But one can always argue how significant reviews are today when games are almost always updated after launch and reviews are up before launch and almost never updated.

ABnormal

Sony pays the voters so probably god of war.
Poor thing. You are not able to accept that the rival brand of your one received so many acknowledgements, and instead of growing up as a man, you choose to explain it by some underhanded way.
Why not trying to analyze the objective level of quality and refinement of all the aspects of those games (especially compared to the oters)? Maybe you could notice something.

slade

Avatar right here. This makes me wonder how the Demi gods souls fair against Kratos. At full power Rahdan was literally holding stars in the sky lol.
Kratos would win, mid difficulty at best. This was the dude that killed the other dude that was carrying the planet.

Malenia might get somewhere with her poison attack.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Elden ring is going to pip it but god of war has that huge advantage of coming out in November in a pretty dud year so people are starved, and especially media and reviewers for a great game. It has the benefit of being the sequel to one of the best games ever but loses some of its charm as its going to be very similar and in some ways not as much as a surprise, so I think it will lose some of its majesty there.

Saying that, launching in November and being fresh in people's minds will ultimately have a lot of places vote it goty....elden ring was very early in the year but it took the world by storm.

God of war ragnarok will have ro be considerably better than the first game to bear elden ring imo...and I just can't see it. Sequels are tough to do well.

Africangamer30

Neo Member
One game is out and well known the other is not.
Both outcomes are possible given the pedigree of the developers.
Having an opinion right now is a bit weird because it either means you're biased (even in good faith for personal tastes) or it's like admitting that these awards are given for reasons that have nothing to do with quality but marketing, brand power and exposure.
Thank you lol, all these people already picking gow without even playing it......BIASED 😂. Its gonna be eldian ring

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Poor thing. You are not able to accept that the rival brand of your one received so many acknowledgements, and instead of growing up as a man, you choose to explain it by some underhanded way.
Why not trying to analyze the objective level of quality and refinement of all the aspects of those games (especially compared to the oters)? Maybe you could notice something.

You can always count on one Sony bro to take the bait. 😀

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
God of war ragnarok will have ro be considerably better than the first game to bear elden ring imo...and I just can't see it. Sequels are tough to do well.

It’ll be more of the same, but with more of a shield mechanic.

In terms of gameplay and customization Elden Ring completely obliterates God of War. We don’t need to play Ragnarok to know this.
But mashing the X button during pretty scenes is very popular with a lot of people. It’s the Coors Lite of games.

DavidGzz

You're right tbh. But i'm not even being hyperbolic or trying to be an ass when I say Elden Ring is the ugliest "AAA" game I have ever seen. From Software should be embarrassed that this is the best they could put out. All that money, all that talent, and they deliver... this. How people play this and think OMG WOW! is beyond me. I turned that shit off immediately. The combat is fucking flat, not hard hitting or visceral at all. Like what the fucking shit is this? They should have had less bosses and made the ones in the game more memorable experiences. Improve the moment to moment combat/gameplay. If this isnt the most unsatisfying kill I've ever seen I dont know what is

Between this and your love for 30fps you have to have the worst takes of anyone on this forum and that's saying something. At least most now know to disregard your terrible opinions from here on out.

Oof85

It's going to be glorious when Ragnarok loses. Fuck off, Kratos, you little bitch.

YJ4LQu3.png
Not feeling your vehemence but I am also looking forward to the meltdowns from the currently smug Gow stans.

People like cinematic games but time and time again we're shown that when the arcadey/gamey games hit, they tend to do so in a way that's unmatched by the cinetragics.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’ll be more of the same, but with more of a shield mechanic.

In terms of gameplay and customization Elden Ring completely obliterates God of War. We don’t need to play Ragnarok to know this.
But mashing the X button during pretty scenes is very popular with a lot of people. It’s the Coors Lite of games.

While I am on team Elden Ring, I still absolutely loved GoW 2018 and I am hoping for a lot from Ragnorok. Think you're being a little harsh here lol but each to their own :)

yurinka

I think Elden Ring due to several reasons:
  • It was also released on Xbox or PC, so Xbox and PC fanboys will vote for it due to the lack of serious GOTY candidate PC and Xbox exclusives this year
  • It was released way before, so way more people will had time to play
  • It was released way before, so GoWR maybe won't even be on time for more awards
  • Some people value too much game length so they prefer too long open worlds
  • It's a poser thing to say you love Souls games even if you haven't played any of them
  • It's a new IP and adds open world to its genre, GoWR a direct sequel and I don't think GoWR will add an addition that big so people will perceive ER as more fresh and innovative

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Between this and your love for 30fps you have to have the worst takes of anyone on this forum and that's saying something. At least most now know to disregard your terrible opinions from here on out.
Tell me what’s good about that combat?
Use your words, show me an example of how that’s better than any other game? What makes it good? It looks like shit. Lacks weight. Doesn’t feel like you’re hitting anything but air when you make contact.

You’re lying to me if you say that doesn’t look janky as fuck and the kill itself extremely unsatisfying. The AI is also trash.

Looks no different than a game that came out in 2006 combat wise. My standards for combat are just… higher than yours.

And graphics>framerate. Don’t need to go over that again.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Use your words, show me an example of how that’s better than any other game? What makes it good? It looks like shit. Lacks weight. Doesn’t feel like you’re hitting anything but air when you make contact.

You’re lying to me if you say that doesn’t look janky as fuck and the kill itself extremely unsatisfying. The AI is also trash.

Looks no different than a game that came out in 2006 combat wise. My standards for combat are just… higher than yours.

Angry Dog GIF

DavidGzz

Not impactful? Hitting air? You're describing Path of Exile and Left4Dead. There is plenty of impact imo. I think what you mean is that it's animations are not as precise as God of War. And how can they be when there are so many options? This is just a sacrifice for how many options there are. I am not a dev, but it must take a long time to animate things. I would take many options that give a game longevity over better animations when it comes to RPG's. If Elden Ring had two weapons like God of War 2018, I would have dropped it ages ago. Instead I am still playing it off and on and have 500+ hours in it. God of War 2018 held my attention for about 15. I never finished it but I am still buying Ragnarok unless the reviews say it sucks. I also never finished Sekiro. I get bored of the same 1-2 weapons.

So, you prefer tight animations with limited weapons like Ninja Gaiden, GoW, Spiderman, etc. I prefer options with a sacrifice to animations like Demon's Souls, Skyrim, etc. We know From Software can do tight animations. Just watch some Sekiro combat in slow-mo. But at what cost? Everything(weapon variety).

Another example is The Avengers game vs. Spiderman. Animations suffer because of the ability to use multiple characters. You don't have to animate hit reactions from a dozen player characters in Spiderman. Just 1.

Another example is Arkham Knight vs Gotham Knights. People want way better graphics and better animations in a game where you can select 5 characters vs. 1. It isn't going to happen. Arkham also doesn't have untethered open world gameplay. Sometimes gamers aren't reasonable and don't use logic they just demand more.

Last edited:
I couldn't vote even if this ran to the end of the year, as I won't have played either. I'll play Ragnarok when it hits $20 (unlikely to be this year lol) and I'll never play Elden Ring.

Crappy year at the top end for sure if this is the battle. Hopefully 2023 is better (for me, I understand some people like this shit lol)

Caio

I cannot answer right now, Ragnarok is not available yet; but I hope it will be a titanic battle between the two.

Ezekiel_

Banned

Voting ends tomorrow.

Mod of War Mod of War Can you update the thread title with that info please :messenger_smirking: (Voting ends Nov 2)

Makes no sense to end vote before review embargo. We know how Elden Ring got reviewed, it's strength and weaknesses. We know nothing of GoWR as of this moment.

You're asking people to vote on either a game they have played thoroughly, and it's Metacritic is out, versus an unknown entity.

Last edited:

Pejo

Fuck me, i just realized the poll was an avatar bet again after voting. I'm stating right now that I'm not doing an avatar bet despite voting in the poll.

So if some smug fucker @'s me in a future gloat thread, I am not participating.
game of thrones khaleesi GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fuck me, i just realized the poll was an avatar bet again after voting. I'm stating right now that I'm not doing an avatar bet despite voting in the poll.

So if some smug fucker @'s me in a future gloat thread, I am not participating.
game of thrones khaleesi GIF
no-taksies.gif

Yoboman

I think the quality of Elden Ring and Ragnarok will be closer than RDR2 and GOW 2018. RDR2 in particular was very divisive with a poor gameplay loop

Both contenders this year are elite in gameplay. Elden Ring should edge out Ragnarok due to freshness, I think Ragnaroks best chance is if it can surprise us like 2018 did AND have a fantastic narrative - because that is the one weakness of Elden Ring

Valedix

God of War upsetting Red Dead in 2018 was amazing I could totally see it upsetting Elden Ring now, I'm in need of a new avatar so I chose Elden Ring Lol.

Top Bottom