• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Avatar bet? Another avatar bet. GOTY Battle: God of War: Ragnarök vs Elden Ring (Voting ends Nov. 2nd)

Which will win more GOTY Awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skit_data

Impossible to know at this point. GoW Ragnarök may be a very solid sequel or it may blow our minds. To beat Elden Ring overall I think it has to be more than ”just” a very solid sequel. It has the chance to be that, no doubt, but we don’t know yet.

Impossible to know at this point. GoW Ragnarök may be a very solid sequel or it may blow our minds. To beat Elden Ring overall I think it has to be more than ”just” a very solid sequel. It has the chance to be that, no doubt, but we don’t know yet.

Hope they have some very big story twist that ends up making a few people mad. I hope they don’t play it safe at all.

skit_data

Hope they have some very big story twist that ends up making a few people mad. I hope they don’t play it safe at all.
Yeah, me too.
I hope
Kratos journey ends and that Atreus aka Loki with enough character development turns into a new interesting protagonist in a ”new” franchise that allows them to evolve it beyond our imagination. Having a trickster archetype as a main character will allow for much more interesting stories than a war-god ever could allow even if SSM had done a very good job

3liteDragon

It would be from this site,
We will be using the GOTY Tracker website. Not the Keighleys
I was just about to ask OP this, if we're talking about which one wins the most awards & not which one wins at the Keighleys, that site isn't even tracking 2022 right now, idk if he's gonna make the list for 2022 towards the end of the year or something.

From the site:
GameAwards.net said:
What happened to the stats page that was previously on the site?

The stats page has been taken down. It was started simply as trivia, but it seemed to increasingly fuel gamer negativity and fanboy wars. Additionally, there seems to be a widespread, fundamental misunderstanding of the information that can be provided by sites like this. Finding and cataloguing awards from around the world is an extremely ambitious task. There is no list of every gaming-related source; new media outlets are created all the time, some that were previously included die out, and some do not do awards every year. Without an AI which can guarantee that it has crawled the entire internet, it is impossible to know the total number of media outlets, so there is no way for anyone to know exactly how many awards are missing for any given year.

As such, the "totals" for any year can only show you the minimum amount of awards that a particular game received, not the exact number, and they certainly cannot be used to compare games from different years in such precise detail. There could be five awards missing, or there could be fifty—no one can know for certain. Any site attempting to claim otherwise is trying to mislead you.

The overall winner and general order of the list per year should be quite accurate however, given (1) the sample size of the media outlets, (2) that the media outlets are selected without regard for popularity or region, and (3) that none of the media outlets are dedicated to any particular platform, so there is no inherent bias toward any specific game. It should be expected that any missing awards would follow the general distribution trend for the year; if two games are separated by only a few awards, their positions could easily swap, but with a difference of dozens the order would not change.

In summary, any award tracking site can only ever tell you two things: (1) The minimum number of awards that a game received, and (2) The award distribution breakdown for the year. There are no exact numbers for this kind of data.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Elden Ring will win GOTY. It actually brought something new to the table. The way it approaches exploration is something I've never seen done in a game before.

I'm not sure, but I predict GOW: R will be big and pretty and beautiful and fun with a good story, but it's not going to innovate much on it's predecessor, nor will it bring anything new to the table.

Is that a requirement for GOTY...no, it's not. Which is why Elden Ring will win because they did it anyways.

I still don’t see what elden ring brought to the open world that made it so unique outside of the mount having a double jump and good enemy variety.

There’s a lot of reused content, like the catacombs, hero dungeons, caves, and mines with a ton of reused mini-bosses. The first time you see a dragon it’s dope as hell, the 10th time you see one you’re just annoyed and gallop past it. Same with thing with those lava wyrms and floating cats. Elden Ring suffers from a lot of the same problems a lot of open world games do everything is cool and fun and exciting for the first half and the second half feels like you just want it to wrap it up already.

Mountain tops of the giants was desolate as hell and had all the same enemies i saw the first 3rd of the game. The game probably would have got a lower score if half the reviewers actually finished it.

If i were basing my opinion on elden ring up until leyndell I’d hold it on some revolutionary arc as well. It’s the first souls game i didn’t have an immediate desire to do a new game + in right off the bat cause i was so burnt out on it by the end.

People have gotten so hyperbolic about Elden Ring it has made me actually like it less.

Last edited:

Boneless

Ragnarok will be more of the same amazing game, which is what it needs to be and I am waiting for.

Elden Ring was a massive step for the genre and an introduction for a lot of people into the genre. Amazing game.

Elden Ring wins.

It went gold, meaning the game is finished and is in the process of being printed. You’re going to need an apocalyptic event such as Ragnarok itself to take place in order for a delay to occur.

You would need proof that it didn't go gold first. Unless your saying SSM are lying about that.

This guy post an article of 5 games over the course of 23 years….

Tired Bette Davis GIF by Maudit

Godot25

Banned
Sorry, but Elden Ring has it in it's pockets.
I'm sure Ragnarok will be amazing. But nothing that I saw indicates that it will be just "more of the same" as first game. Which is perfectly okay. But you are against a game that literally took Soulsborne formula and took it way further while taking a dump on every formulaic open world Ubi style game in the process.

3liteDragon

Yes because GoW is comparable with CP2077 in terms of scope, mechanics, features and NPC AI. Why not compare it with Tetris since we are comparing games without anything related between them except they are games.
Do you think Ragnarök will be delayed to ‘23?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Unlike the prior bet which was a bet on delays, can't really call this one until iv played God of War.

The best i can do is imagine a bigger, better God of War and infer that it would naturally lose to Elden Ring, because Elden Ring is several order of magnitude better...

But I have been suprised before and really it all depends on that, can Ragnarok suprise me.

Last edited:
Neither deserve it. Giving GOTY to cross gen games 2 years into a new gen is whack.

GoW looks amazing. But I don't play movies

Elden ring is the most boring, simple, repetitive gameplay since factorio.
Even the fanboys can't decide between "it's easy, get good bro" or "it's challenging, you just don't get it"

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Lol, at least lets wait for GOWR to release so we can play it before making a vs thread. You guys are so damn impatient.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Well unless you can state any other games that would be a worthwhile nomination in the AAA category then I can't either.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Forbidden West are highly likely to be nominated everywhere Elden Ring and Ragnar are.
Im sure they will each have a few GOTYs from around the industry.
But yeah the big two are the ones in this topic.

I would say GT7, but racing games so rarely win GOTY, I think only Forza Horizon 5 has managed to make waves in GOTY contention since like Burnout 3: Takedown.

Stray and Triangle Strategy while really good games, and likely also nominated just to fill the ballots I dont see winning a bunch of GOTYs.
People are also sleeping on Bayonetta 3 and A Plagues Tales Requiem.

ClosBSAS

Elden ring man, it's just on another level, not some glorified dlc that's Ragnarok. Oh wait, haven't played Ragnarok yet.

Either way, Elden ring will win. But it's good to see these two games up there and not some shitty ass cod or ubisoft game ...single player games with no bs mtx o predatory shit, who would have thought eh EA?

Banned
It went gold, meaning the game is finished and is in the process of being printed.

gold doesn't mean the game is finished. that was the case before online updates but those glory days are gone sadly

the disc inside the retail copy of Halo Infinite is the "gold" version of the game, and there's so little on that disc that the game is not playable without a large amount of files you have to download.

just saying...

Last edited:
Top Bottom