• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Avatar bet? Another avatar bet. GOTY Battle: God of War: Ragnarök vs Elden Ring (Voting ends Nov. 2nd)

Which will win more GOTY Awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nikos

Best part about Elden Ring was the seamless co-op mod.

I have zero interest in God of War after playing the 2018 game. Bought it twice and couldn't get through it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And GOW R looks like a PS4 Pro game and guess what? It is!
You're right tbh. But i'm not even being hyperbolic or trying to be an ass when I say Elden Ring is the ugliest "AAA" game I have ever seen. From Software should be embarrassed that this is the best they could put out. All that money, all that talent, and they deliver... this. How people play this and think OMG WOW! is beyond me. I turned that shit off immediately. The combat is fucking flat, not hard hitting or visceral at all. Like what the fucking shit is this? They should have had less bosses and made the ones in the game more memorable experiences. Improve the moment to moment combat/gameplay. If this isnt the most unsatisfying kill I've ever seen I dont know what is

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You're right tbh. But i'm not even being hyperbolic or trying to be an ass when I say Elden Ring is the ugliest "AAA" game I have ever seen. From Software should be embarrassed that this is the best they could put out. All that money, all that talent, and they deliver... this. How people play this and think OMG WOW! is beyond me. I turned that shit off immediately. The combat is fucking flat, not hard hitting or visceral at all. Like what the fucking shit is this? They should have had less bosses and made the ones in the game more memorable experiences. Improve the moment to moment combat/gameplay.

Certain bosses on Elden Ring look pretty damn good plus the scale of Elden Ring also must be taken into consideration when comparing visuals.

Besides GAMEPLAY will be the deciding factor between the two.

Valedix

Voting Elden Ring just cause I reckon Ragnarok can upset the TGAs again like it did to Red Dead Redemption 2. And I am in need of a new avatar aha.

bender

What time is it?
Hopefully, because GOW combat will run circles around whatever the fuck this is.
SRs.gif

Elden rings gameplay is good, god of wars gameplay is good

If you need a litmus test for games that have good gameplay just watch a much118x or sunhilegend video

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Elden rings gameplay is good, god of wars gameplay is good

If you need a litmus test for games that have good gameplay just watch a much118x or sunhilegend video
I actually liked GOW 2018's combat, it was better than previous games in every way but enemy/boss variety sucked ass, especially for a high budget AAA game. Lets hope they fix that with Ragnarok.

I actually liked GOW 2018's combat, it was better than previous games in every way but enemy/boss variety sucked ass, especially for a high budget AAA game. Lets hope they fix that with Ragnarok.

I think it was the enemy and boss variety was one of the main things said they were focusing on for this game. They took 5 years to make this so im expecting some epic fights.

I hope they do the same for Tears of The Kingdom also.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think it was the enemy and boss variety was one of the main things said they were focusing on for this game. They took 5 years to make this so im expecting some epic fights.

I hope they do the same for Tears of The Kingdom also.
I hopes you are right, lot of people complain about this game being cross gen but I couldn't care less about any off that, the visuals more than good enough, they already build the engine, they should focusing on giving me more variety enemies and bosses for me to fight.

tommib

You're right tbh. But i'm not even being hyperbolic or trying to be an ass when I say Elden Ring is the ugliest "AAA" game I have ever seen. From Software should be embarrassed that this is the best they could put out. All that money, all that talent, and they deliver... this. How people play this and think OMG WOW! is beyond me. I turned that shit off immediately. The combat is fucking flat, not hard hitting or visceral at all. Like what the fucking shit is this? They should have had less bosses and made the ones in the game more memorable experiences. Improve the moment to moment combat/gameplay. If this isnt the most unsatisfying kill I've ever seen I dont know what is

You couldn’t find a gif with less frames? This is not cinematic enough.

EDMIX

The deep lolz.

I'm sure Elden Ring will win many GOTYs, but God Of War is sweeping it.

Elden Ring is basically just combat. I don't see anyone saying this story is some life changing thing and the variety is very little...the puzzles are so bad, its clear its an after thought.

God Of War is going the story, set pieces on top of combat variety and actual puzzles that make sense to that world, ON TOP of recency bias. So many will be talking about it leading up to so many of those awards, that I have a hard time believing Elden Ring will take the majority. They do a great job with combat, but everything else suffers a great deal and God Of War is just one of those packages that does many, many things very well vs 1.

So after they are doing seeing they story of BOY, watching Thor get ragdolled, seeing wild set pieces and crazy axe puzzles etc, that is what they will be left with before they vote. God Of War is merely the more complete experience

mxbison

Elden Ring will be hard to beat. If Ragnarok is just more of the same (which would still be a great game and a perfectly fine sequel), I don't think it's enough.

tommib

The deep lolz.

I'm sure Elden Ring will win many GOTYs, but God Of War is sweeping it.

Elden Ring is basically just combat. I don't see anyone saying this story is some life changing thing and the variety is very little...the puzzles are so bad, its clear its an after thought.

God Of War is going the story, set pieces on top of combat variety and actual puzzles that make sense to that world, ON TOP of recency bias. So many will be talking about it leading up to so many of those awards, that I have a hard time believing Elden Ring will take the majority. They do a great job with combat, but everything else suffers a great deal and God Of War is just one of those packages that does many, many things very well vs 1.

So after they are doing seeing they story of BOY, watching Thor get ragdolled, seeing wild set pieces and crazy axe puzzles etc, that is what they will be left with before they vote. God Of War is merely the more complete experience
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t expect Ragnarok to change much from GoW 2018.

It’s going to come down to whether people prefer chess or checkers. Maybe checkers is too strategic of an example.

Chess vs Candyland.

mxbison

Because Elden Ring is not more of the same for the... sixth time?

It is, but most people (especially critics) don't seem to mind. The big thing with Elden Ring is how well they crafted a world in a time where everyone is sick and tired of cluttered copy & paste open worlds and quest markers.

GoW 2018 was great and well deserved GOTY, but if Ragnarok is the same with some extras here and there I don't think it will get the same amount of excitement.

That said all the Ragnarok videos have shown like the same 3 or 4 things, maybe they have a ton of new stuff we haven't seen.

EDMIX

It is, but most people (especially critics) don't seem to mind.

but if Ragnarok is the same with some extras here and there I don't think it will get the same amount of excitement.

How do you know those same critics that gave the 2018 game GOTY won't "seem to mind" regarding Ragnarok?

So the same ones that didn't mind Elden Ring being more of the same of the past games, also in large rarely give them the nod for GOTY.....so I think many need to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Elden Ring is basically just combat.

God Of War is story, set pieces on top of combat variety and actual puzzles that make sense to that world, ON TOP of recency bias.

in elden ring everything but combat suffers a great deal and God Of War is just one of those packages that does many, many things very well vs 1.

God Of War is merely the more complete experience

All undeniable

God of War a much more well rounded package. Elden ring isnt even a "gameplay first" kind of game.

Its Gameplay only at the expense of everything else.

Last edited:
All undeniable

God of War a much more well rounded package. Elden ring isnt even a "gameplay first" kind of game.

I think this is why God of war will get more awards overall. It has more going for it. Elden Ring is the same familiar souls gameplay re packaged into an open world. That's really all it has going for it. Where as God of War brings everything together nicely. Gameplay, sound, graphics, story, characters.

darrylgorn

Definitely elden ring, i mean elden ring compared to the souls games is by far the weakest imo

I don't own Elden Ring, but it is interesting hearing this opinion after the onslaught of praise the game has received.

Is it really the case that it doesn't surpass the souls games?

Because Elden Ring is not more of the same for the... sixth time?
Last of Us 2 also did not fundamentally invent something entirely new. I think. Have not played it, and did not finish the first PS4 Remaster. And it did just fine in the GOTY races. I'd even expect one or two publications will give their GOTY award to the TLoU part 1 remake.

Innovation is automatically a plus, I guess, and if Martin would have written something matching his epic Fire and Ice and not just his name on the rather vague storytelling with maybe or maybe not deep lore From does themselves, I'd also would have beend interested. But Elden Ring sounds pretty much the same too, in its core just fighting/surviving, just more open and again not really a properly told tale.
If a game is a spectacle action thing and succeeds, it's similar in its sameness I guess. GoW2 back then probably only "lost" since next gen got started. It's a bit old and dated looking, but the spectacle still works today, which is imho something a GOTY should be. A bit more timeless than the average game.

Elden Ring, GoW maybe Horizon as the only contenders feels a bit boring. Metroid, Psychonauts2, It takes two, Deathloop sounds like a better year even though maybe less grand.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I still don’t see what elden ring brought to the open world that made it so unique outside of the mount having a double jump and good enemy variety.

There’s a lot of reused content, like the catacombs, hero dungeons, caves, and mines with a ton of reused mini-bosses. The first time you see a dragon it’s dope as hell, the 10th time you see one you’re just annoyed and gallop past it. Same with thing with those lava wyrms and floating cats. Elden Ring suffers from a lot of the same problems a lot of open world games do everything is cool and fun and exciting for the first half and the second half feels like you just want it to wrap it up already.

Mountain tops of the giants was desolate as hell and had all the same enemies i saw the first 3rd of the game. The game probably would have got a lower score if half the reviewers actually finished it.

If i were basing my opinion on elden ring up until leyndell I’d hold it on some revolutionary arc as well. It’s the first souls game i didn’t have an immediate desire to do a new game + in right off the bat cause i was so burnt out on it by the end.

People have gotten so hyperbolic about Elden Ring it has made me actually like it less.

This cracked me up seeing as how they recycled the hell out of the enemies in GoW. The Valkyries, the giants, trolls, etc. And that game isn't even open world and it has that problem, imagine if it was. I didn't even finish GoW 2018 let alone ever think about a second playthrough. No weapon diversity or character creator bores me after so many hours.

Shubh_C63

Skyrim combat also sucks but it gets mad props for its open world exploration. Wouldn't you give ER props for combat as well as being one of the best open world exploration game ?

I couldn't get used to the control scheme of Elden Ring, long bed the world (the little I saw) and how open ended it felt.

GoW:R is going to be better for sure. Is it going to be GoTY? I don't know, maybe TLoU re-release?

DelireMan7

Sounds fun.

I'll go with Elden Ring. Impressive game for sure. But it has some flaws and far to be the best of the Soulsborne.
Still a remarkable take on the open world genre.

Currently playing God of War. Visually impressive, the combat finally clicked and feels quite good. Story is intriguing and like they acknowledge the past of Kratos. I understand the praise but would say a tiny bit overrated.
I am far too be done with it but I don't think I'll take it over any of the Soulsborne.
I hope Ragnarok will get rid of this horrible camera that hinders most of your vision. I can't get use to it.

Shut0wen

I don't own Elden Ring, but it is interesting hearing this opinion after the onslaught of praise the game has received.

Is it really the case that it doesn't surpass the souls games?
Tbh the game being freeroam makes a massive difference, its weird its different while also having a familiar feeling but id say its definitely one of the easiest souls games except for main bosses being massive sponges, think my only issue with the game is that its like BOTW where once you finish the game and put in alot of your time you dont really want to go back and play it again, id say its a good 8/10 but i much prefer souls games to elden ring though

mxbison

How do you know those same critics that gave the 2018 game GOTY won't "seem to mind" regarding Ragnarok?

So the same ones that didn't mind Elden Ring being more of the same of the past games, also in large rarely give them the nod for GOTY.....so I think many need to keep that in mind.

I don't know but Elden Ring has a 96 on Metacritic which is insane.

I'm not trying to shit on Ragnarok, it's my most wanted game this year. I just don't think it will get the same media hype as Elden Ring.

Fabieter

I don't know but Elden Ring has a 96 on Metacritic which is insane.

I'm not trying to shit on Ragnarok, it's my most wanted game this year. I just don't think it will get the same media hype as Elden Ring.

It wont. I think its weird but sony is exclusives are kinda held to a higher standard this gen which makes it harder for them to review really high.

Top Bottom