• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
vLWqlcm.png

You were saying?

trump fake news GIF

Thief1987

Nah more like giving little guidance to the player and actually letting them explore and rewarding them for doing so.
There is nothing to explore there. All your exploration will lead you to another generated catacomb with a "boss" and worthless shit in the end. All of the places which worth your time are perfectly visible on the map, you don't need to "explore" to find them.

Vick

Nah more like giving little guidance to the player and actually letting them explore and rewarding them for doing so.
Which is awesome. But also what I loved about God of War hubs exploration so not very relevant in this particular Thread.
Unless they dumbed down this aspect in Ragnarok.. guess I'll figure out today.

97 > 94

2 year old can figure it out.

Not that I care
Same exact numbers as 2018, RDR2 97 vs GoW 94. The latter won.

KàIRóS

There is nothing to explore there. All your exploration will lead you to another generated catacomb with a "boss" and worthless shit in the end. All of the places which worth your time are perfectly visible on the map, you don't need to "explore" to find them.

I don't think you rememeber how things work, the map barely shows anything when you start and you have to move to locations to mark them.

Vick

I think GoW is overrated trash and won't be surprised if it wins. Nobody is allowed to say a bad word about it apparently.

The true GOTY is Elden Ring.
God of War 2018 has lots of trash looking armors and many little assets in the forest area are missing shadows on PS4/PS5. Norse mythology is not nearly as charming looking as the greek one to me, and there are also no exposed boobs whatsoever in the game which is obviously a downgrade in my book.

There, I just said bad things about the game. Nothing would happen though as I'm not a troll with habit of trashing games funded by a particular platform maker only, nor calling what's considered by many to be the very best game of all time "overrated trash" right before I go back to Halo Infinite or Cyberpunk.

Lmao same here. Oh well. Hope Elden Ring wins or i might have to take a break from Neogaf till next year 🤣
I mean.. can be really worse than your current one?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think GoW is overrated trash and won't be surprised if it wins. Nobody is allowed to say a bad word about it apparently.

The true GOTY is Elden Ring.
I think that’s hyperbole, however if it’s anything like 2018 it’ll just be a very solid 9 for me. I think the lavish praise was absurd. Elden Ring is a 10, and is the game of the year.

Vick

I think that’s hyperbole, however if it’s anything like 2018 it’ll just be a very solid 9 for me. I think the lavish praise was absurd. Elden Ring is a 10, and is the game of the year.
I swear it's my last post in the Thread until I'll play Ragnarok, but how on Earth could you think the lavish praise for a game that completely reinvented its stagnant series, featuring a better narrative than Naughty Dog games on top of the very best/layered gameplay I've ever seen outside of a handful of japanese games + insane production values all around, was "absurd"?

This kind of opinion feels absurd to me.
It's the kind of game that should get 10 if I ever saw one, as there's basically no objective flaw with the game.
And yet Elden Ring is a 10, even with trash performance that affect gameplay, 360 era kind of graphics, very little/next to none mechanics improvements over previous games of the "same series" (in some cases even worse) with the exception of traversals and general game structure, and a billion time easier to pull of kind of narrative.

Banjo64

cumsessed
featuring a better narrative than Naughty Dog games
Sure, if you like simple story telling. ‘My wife died and me and my son are going on a journey together BOTH PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY’. Wow. Deep. It’s not even in the same league as The Last of Us.

on top of the very best/layered gameplay I've ever seen outside of a handful of japanese games
It’s not even got the best gameplay within its own series.

+ insane production values all around, was "absurd"?
The production values were very good yes. Top class.

And yet Elden Ring is a 10, even with trash performance that affect gameplay
🥱

Literally platinumed the game on PS5 last night. What gameplay was effected for you?

360 era kind of graphics
Game stylistically looks miles better than GoW 2018.

very little/next to none mechanics improvements over previous games of the "same series" (in some cases even worse) with the exception of traversals and general game structure,
Don't fix it if it’s not broken. What is there to improve upon when you already have the most satisfying gameplay loop in the industry?

and a billion time easier to pull of kind of narrative.
The narrative for Elden Ring is original and much harder to pull off than God of War.

gow3isben

Sure, if you like simple story telling. ‘My wife died and me and my son are going on a journey together BOTH PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY’. Wow. Deep. It’s not even in the same league as The Last of Us.

🥱

Literally platinumed the game on PS5 last night. What gameplay was effected for you?

Don't fix it if it’s not broken. What is there to improve upon when you already have the most satisfying gameplay loop in the industry?

The narrative for Elden Ring is original and much harder to pull off than God of War.

Posts like this make me wish there was a disagree button.

Literally everything you spewed I feel the exact opposite.

Borowski_1

🥱

Lol what narrative?

Lore isn't a narrative

Thief1987

I don't think you rememeber how things work, the map barely shows anything when you start and you have to move to locations to mark them.
https://www.ign.com/maps/elden-ring/lands-between
You can't see legacy dungeons here? Redmane Castle, Caria Manor, Shaded Castle, Castle Morne, Evergaols, Minor Erdtrees, etc., etc. Please. I explored Limgrave thoroughly, mostly naturally without relaying on the map. After tenth catacomb i decided that this kind of content is not worth my time. Of course you need to explore to some degree to find more bonfires or whatever they called, golden seeds, merchants, recipes, etc. But it's just a regular busywork there is nothing exciting or groundbreaking about it.

This is all about the overworld part, dungeons are still good and interesting to explore (of course i mean handcrafted ones, not this randomly generated junk) even if i found all of them beside Stormveil Castle absolutely unremarkable.

Vick

Yeah, sure. I don't envy you if that's your take on the game narrative/story/ethos/archetypes.

In my book it shits all over whatever Naughty Dog did this gen.

That's a legit trash opinion.

From DMC lite to completely unique systems, with real depth/layers whole planets above previous game and 99.9% of games of the market.

Just watch regular, even skilled gamers playing it and then watch these:

You can put 300 hours in the game and still not be able to get close to 50% of what's really possible. That's the most pure definition of depth and skilled based mechanics.

Nothing more than a personal opinion.

It's absolutely, fucking not. You basically can't do wrong with that kind of narrative, good luck on the other hand turning a cartoon, over the top series like God of War into a legit emotional story and succeed.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Also FYI Elden Ring is 96 on PS5 with 85ish reviews and 94 on PC with 60 reviews averaging out to 95.

It is 95 on Open Critic

God of War Ragnarok is 94 on PS5 with 125 reviews and 94 on Opencritic

It isn't some huge difference in score the differential is only one point which is negligible when it comes to GOTY.

The question only arises if it is able to hook the masses over the next 2 weeks like Elden Ring did.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ragnarök will win the majority of GOTY awards - simply because it's more accessible to players - especially the ones who doesn't have time to 'git gud'.
This is about Geoff Keighley awards GOTY.

But I do agree, GOWR is more likely to win GOTY awards that both Bayonetta 3 and Elden Ring.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not finished yet but GOW.
Elden Ring is sadly not the direction I want from soft to go on. It's a great game but does not hold the candle to pacing and balance of souls titles.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Only a few hours into GOW but I’d say neither of those games. Elden ring has the worst end game of any souls series and gow feels more like an expansion than a new game. I felt like I had to force myself through a lot of areas.

To be honest I’ve had the most fun with xenoblade 3 this year. 🤷‍♂️

Borowski_1

It's going to be Elden Ring:

1. Higher MC scores
2. Geoff is friends with Miyazaki
3. Ragnarok is very similar to it's predecessor.

1-MC scores mean shit
2-Geoff doesn't vote. Also, Bloodborne and DS 3 didn't win shit
3-You mean similar to GOTY 2018? How is that a bad thing?

Top Bottom