• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians Of The Galaxy finding it's audience thanks to Gamepass

Dr.D00p

I quite liked it, but those damn 'Electrical Circuit' puzzles drove me bonkers...hate stuff like that dumped into a (nominal) action game, just seems kind of pointless to me, slowing down the game for no real reason other than to pad the experience out.

Chukhopops

Yeah that’s one of the great things about subs, it can be a second chance for games which didn’t find their audience at launch.

It’s even something devs are looking for now:

Anyway I’d probably buy a sequel to GotG as long as they keep the same cast. They did an amazing job.

DaGwaphics

still not played this yet, my mate compared it to a tomb raider type of game.

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

In either the classic or modern sense of TR, I can't see that being a comparison to this one. Both could be classified as action games, I guess. GoTG plays like a 3D beat'em up for the most part, as do most superhero games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
still not played this yet, my mate compared it to a tomb raider type of game.

Well, the only thing it has in common with TR is that you go places and shoot things ..

other than that this is pretty far from the TR games.

On topic: Amazing stuff. I said something similar when the game first got announced, that hopefully it lets a lot more people play it now. Good to see it's panning out like that.

Lognor

Banned
That's great! With these types of responses more devs should be willing to put their games on game pass. How much was it rumored that ms paid for this game? Sounds like it was mutually beneficial. I wonder if ps sales of the game will go up too now due to word of mouth

geary

Yeah that’s one of the great things about subs, it can be a second chance for games which didn’t find their audience at launch.

It’s even something devs are looking for now:

Anyway I’d probably buy a sequel to GotG as long as they keep the same cast. They did an amazing job.

Wait, what? I thought Returnal was a hit with 600 000 copies sold.

drganon

Still haven't beaten it. Like others have said, it starts out decent, but it starts to become a slog to playthrough. The combat reminds me of uncharted 1, which is not a good thing.

Lognor

Banned
Wait, what? I thought Returnal was a hit with 600 000 copies sold.
600,000 for a Sony AAA game is not good. Not good at all. Regardless if it's exclusive to the current gen console which is currently supply constrained. 600,000 copies sold for a AAA game will not make you your money back. I didn't actually realize it sold that poorly. I wonder if Sony will port it to PC now to try to squeeze out some more sales. That type of rogue like game usually does very well on PC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still haven't beaten it. Like others have said, it starts out decent, but it starts to become a slog to playthrough. The combat reminds me of uncharted 1, which is not a good thing.

Play it for the story and characters at least one I'd say.

Lognor

Banned
I'm in the same boat. Started out really loving it, played for hour long sessions, but after a while it wore a bit thin. The dialog and voice acting is really good and the story interesting, but the gameplay becomes kind of a slog. Gameplay is king for me, so even with a great story, it is hard to keep me engaged. I'm still planning on beating it, but I'm just not dying to play it anymore at this point.

mejin

“I have no regrets. We did everything we could but that’s the reality of the market… And let’s not forget it’s a new IP. Even though we say all ‘Guardians [of the Galaxy] are known’, it’s still a new IP [in the video game market]. It could be a lot of people don’t even know that the game is out yet, or they’re not sure exactly what it is.”

Dev has no regret, but Publisher has. Success.

Dolodolo

600,000 for a Sony AAA game is not good. Not good at all. Regardless if it's exclusive to the current gen console which is currently supply constrained. 600,000 copies sold for a AAA game will not make you your money back. I didn't actually realize it sold that poorly. I wonder if Sony will port it to PC now to try to squeeze out some more sales. That type of rogue like game usually does very well on PC.
What is this stream of consciousness?
Do you know the budget for this game? Not
Judging by its appearance and marketing, it was not worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Sony literally officially recognized this game as a commercial success.
In the first three months, she sold 600K for $70 (then there were no special discounts for her). Even with the deduction of interest on retail and other costs, it's still good.
Yet again. This game shows that it is at the lower end of AAA budgets. I don't think anyone will argue with that.
Most likely, it has already paid off for a long time, and now it brings mostly profit.
Then the audience will be increased through subscription, so that next time people are more interested and buy a new game HouseMarque

Then there will be a port on PC, which brings even more profit and new coverage for a possible sequel, or just a similar game, from the same developers.

Varteras

Gold Member
Sony and Housemarque were both happy with the game's performance. Not all AAA budgets are created equal. In fact, the term has been thrown around so much it has damn near lost meaning. We have no idea how big the budget was for the game, just that it was certainly larger than a company like Housemarque is used to. I'm sure both they and Sony knew the game's very nature would not lend itself well to mass sales. Now that the game has been through its sales run, being on a sub will give it a chance with an audience that initially said no. Subs are great for games that otherwise are hard sells without trying them.

That said, I'm playing Guardians on GamePass right now and I like it, but I don't love it yet. It seems very simplistic right now. Almost kind of holds your hand. I do like the banter between the characters and the story so far is entertaining enough.

Verchod

I bought this a while back. I like everything about it, except the combat! It's such a shallow and repetitive experience. It's a shame. Everything else is good. The constant dialogue between characters is pretty good, must of been a challenge to put into a game like this, trying to fill those idle moments.

Jennings

I heard so many great things about this game from supposed gamers, but the actual gameplay is paper thin and terrihle. This is just an interactive CGI movie where you walk you character forward and listen to NPCs bicker for hours. I really wish developers would remember to put gaming in their games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've noticed its one of the most popular games on gamepass. Maybe if the analytics are favorable to Microsoft they will consider funding an exclusive sequel.

This honestly wouldn't make any sense. The issue with this game was that not enough people knew it existed or didn't trust them after the Avengers game.

Nydius

I'm glad the game is reaching more people thanks to Game Pass. I picked it up at launch and haven't regretted it. The game fell victim to the (rightfully) negative views around Square-Enix after they dropped two high-profile flops with The Avengers and Outriders. I can't say I blame people for being skeptical about Guardians of the Galaxy after that, and the marketing campaign leading up to the launch didn't do a great job in assuaging peoples' worries.

That said, this feels like the worst kind of game to be on Game Pass. With no DLC (and, thankfully, no MTX), a static story that doesn't change regardless of the dialog choices throughout the game, and a fairly easy path to 1000 Gamerscore in a single playthrough, there really isn't a reason for GP subscribers to spend any money on it. This is a game where most people will play it, see everything it has to offer, and delete it. There really isn't any replay value to motivate people to want to buy it to avoid FOMO when/if it gets removed from GP.

I don't know how much they would have made in future sales at discounted prices but I guess they figured it wouldn't be as much as they got from Microsoft to put it in the Game Pass library.

elliot5

I'm glad the game is reaching more people thanks to Game Pass. I picked it up at launch and haven't regretted it. The game fell victim to the (rightfully) negative views around Square-Enix after they dropped two high-profile flops with The Avengers and Outriders. I can't say I blame people for being skeptical about Guardians of the Galaxy after that, and the marketing campaign leading up to the launch didn't do a great job in assuaging peoples' worries.

That said, this feels like the worst kind of game to be on Game Pass. With no DLC (and, thankfully, no MTX), a static story that doesn't change regardless of the dialog choices throughout the game, and a fairly easy path to 1000 Gamerscore in a single playthrough, there really isn't a reason for GP subscribers to spend any money on it. This is a game where most people will play it, see everything it has to offer, and delete it. There really isn't any replay value to motivate people to want to buy it to avoid FOMO when/if it gets removed from GP.

I don't know how much they would have made in future sales at discounted prices but I guess they figured it wouldn't be as much as they got from Microsoft to put it in the Game Pass library.
Games don’t need to have alternative revenue streams to be fitting for game pass. If square is happy with just a lump sum then it works

Lognor

Banned
This game was such a pleasant surprise. The writing and voice acting is top notch, the graphics and variety of worlds is fantastic, and the combat is easy enough to master. I really hope we see a sequel or even some story DLC.
Agreed. Although the one knock against the Star Lord voice actor is that he is clearly Canadian. Well maybe it's not a knock, but wasn't the character supposed to be from the midwest? You could clearly hear that Canadian accent in certain words.

Oh and all the lovely talk about teamwork and shit was a bit of an overkill.

But yeah, otherwise great voice acting and writing. I loved the banter and would wait for it to end before proceeding in the game.

Teslerum

a static story that doesn't change regardless of the dialog choices throughout the game,
Now that's just wrong.

If you mean the banter dialog choices, yes they don't change anything, but nearly all *big* choices have some impact. More than is typical from such a game.

And there's a pretty big range of changes too. Like a level that plays out differently (pretty early too. It's the decision if you send rocket or groot. Groot ends up in a level with stealth sections, while Rocket is straight action), goodie areas that can be accessed, charachters and scenes that may show up or not depending on your choices.....

Unless we're talking RPG's or games focused on choice, the amount of C&C GOTG has is remarkable in the AAA space to the point where I can't think of anything comparable. So saying *doesn't change* is baffling to me honestly.

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
Im glad. The modern Deus Ex developers need more recognition. Their games are always good. Even if they made Guardians that cant shut the fuck up for a second, this Mass Effect lite game they created was easily one of the best last year.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Glad to see AAA games that didn't quite hit their objectives get a deserved second chance. I've downloaded it but haven't had the time to try it yet. Indie devs happy, AAA devs happy, gamers happy.

Oh man, I LOVED this game to my extreme surprise. I generally hate superhero stuff except Christian Bale batman movies and the Arkham Asylum game. I expected to hate this game. I was shocked by how much I loved it and couldn't stop playing it. It didn't really feel like a typical superhero story, and I actually really liked the characters, the story and the humor.

I'm kind of off and on playing Marvels Avengers because of how much I liked GotG, but it DOES feel like a superhero game, I can't stand the characters, or the story and I don't know if I'll continue with Avengers or not. Definitely garbage compared to GoG.

MachRc

I just bought it too for my friend's bday at bestbuy for 30 bucks for his PS5!!!

I was like yo Im gonna play the first few levels and then go home, the levels never ended..
and I ended up playing for almost 3hours after we had lunch as he passed out after eating so much...

It felt like a lame "pre packaged unreal" like game at first think...Outriders...(I know its not unreal engine)
But after one hour of just figuring out puzzles and banter with rocket, the shooting got more interesting and actual fun was had.

Im glad. The modern Deus Ex developers need more recognition. Their games are always good. Even if they made Guardians that cant shut the fuck up for a second, this Mass Effect lite game they created was easily one of the best last year.
Yeah, their games always review well but then they seem to always get shafted when it comes to sales and seemingly not for a lack of marketing, it’s bizarre.

Elginer

I quite liked it, but those damn 'Electrical Circuit' puzzles drove me bonkers...hate stuff like that dumped into a (nominal) action game, just seems kind of pointless to me, slowing down the game for no real reason other than to pad the experience out.
Agreed

Top Bottom