• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians Of The Galaxy finding it's audience thanks to Gamepass

i played on gamepass. Kinda glad i never bought it. Its okay...but i wasn't in love with it.

i found the controls annoying. Because if i want to have normal 3rd person shooter controls on my elite controller.....it makes the squad mechanics a nightmare button placement wise

and the shooting is really dull

Nydius

And there's a pretty big range of changes too. Like a level that plays out differently (pretty early too. It's the decision if you send rocket or groot. Groot ends up in a level with stealth sections, while Rocket is straight action), goodie areas that can be accessed, charachters and scenes that may show up or not depending on your choices.....

And yet none of that changes the trajectory of the story.
The main story arc is scripted to follow the same path no matter the choices.

This isn't a Mass Effect level RPG where choosing to throw Rocket or not will come back to bite you on the ass later in the game. The story and its conclusion is predetermined regardless of choices made. To say otherwise is VASTLY overstating it.

So no, I'm not wrong.

Teslerum

And yet none of that changes the trajectory of the story.
The main story arc is scripted to follow the same path no matter the choices.

This isn't a Mass Effect level RPG where choosing to throw Rocket or not will come back to bite you on the ass later in the game. The story and its conclusion is predetermined regardless of choices made. To say otherwise is VASTLY overstating it.

So no, I'm not wrong.
I've just given an example with a level whose story (events happen in either version differently) and gameplay changes and you just handwave it away?

By your definition of *changing the story* that's not even Mass Effect. All three Mass Effects follow the same story trajectory too, they mostly have changes to charachters, scenes and Ending (Cutscene) (Naturally GOTG not nearly on the same level). And yes it absolutely does, that's among those scenes I was referring to. Both the worldmind and Cosmo can help you out (or not) with some fights at the end by your choices in earlier levels for example. It also determines if they appear in some other cutscenes as well.

Of course, GOTG isn't on the level of an RPG (and I mentioned that in my first post). But for what it is, the amount of reactivity it offers is remarkable to a point where I can't think of something comparable in its space.

Last edited:

Banned
Graphics, dialogue, story, characters, soundtrack, attention to detail and variety of planets is on another level.

gameplay is not that great tho, and that matters the most in the end. I stopped playing after 90min or so because it was just very bland and the controls, especially the fighting system, was just clunky as fuck with awful attack animations, among the worst in recent memory for me in fact

Last edited:

El Muerto

I'm not a fan of Marvel movies and i'm sure a lot of people are experiencing Marvel fatigue around now. If it wasnt for gamepass i would of skipped this insanely good game. It is so well done and definitely deserved every award it was nominated for. Much better than some of the big name games from the past few years. Graphics, story, gameplay, sound, all of it is great. The senior sound director from Eidos co-created a full Star Lord album with original songs which is also incredible. I ended up buying the vinyl of the game ost.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If an expensive license like GoTG needs to be bundled onto an a-la-carte service like Gamepass in order to "find its audience", then that license is ultimately worthless.

I had lots of fun with this game. A solid 8/10 game. Story is great, characters, banter, the combat was a little weak though and had some pacing issues.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If an expensive license like GoTG needs to be bundled onto an a-la-carte service like Gamepass in order to "find its audience", then that license is ultimately worthless.

The expensive license IP didn't sell at retail due to its (unfair) association with a much worse Marvel property released not too long before that.

The a-la-carte service did it a massive service by introducing it to a lot of new people who may have been hesitant to put down full price on it thinking it would be similar to a worse product.

Not really a surprising prospect that a-la-carte service allows people to try games they wouldn't have paid full retail for, thus introducing it to a new audience.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes. Aside from the possibility that their Gamepass deal includes usage in it's pay structure, of course it matters to have your game be played and become popular, as it increases the likelihood of a sequel.

And of course people are more likely to buy it with the 20% discount if/when the game is about to leave the service, or heck a lot of people buy games to support developers if they like it even if it's on a service.

Basically the developers have everything to gain here, the game was a dead-end at retail sales anyway. So any more player interaction, social activity or even sales from the a-la-carte conversion are just gravy to them.

I seriously doubt GamePass contracts are so black and white. Downloads and hours played are super important metrics and I doubt there are no financial stipulations tied to them.

Also this, we don't know for sure how these contracts are made, maybe they get a cut depending on unique downloads, played metrics etc. We simply don't have all the facts.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Many contracts are just a flat fee; Spencer has said as much.

It's flexible and can vary per contract:

"[In] certain cases, we’ll pay for the full production cost of the game. Then they get all the retail opportunity on top of Game Pass. They can go sell it on PlayStation, on Steam, and on Xbox, and on Switch. [...] Sometimes the developer’s more done with the game and it’s more just a transaction of, 'Hey, we’ll put it in Game Pass if you’ll pay us this amount of money.'"

"Others want [agreements] more based on usage and monetization in whether it’s a store monetization that gets created through transactions, or usage.
We’re open [to] experimenting with many different partners, because we don’t think we have it figured out. When we started, we had a model that was all based on usage. Most of the partners said, 'Yeah, yeah, we understand that, but we don’t believe it, so just give us the money upfront.'"

Last edited:
Many contracts are just a flat fee; Spencer has said as much.
Even IF that's true, those metrics will still be tracked and used by all parties involved, including future projects and contracts.

Think of the quarterback who greatly exceeds expectations during his rookie contract.

There's no scenario where the developer will think, "we got a check, we don't care what usage the game is getting".

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Even IF that's true, those metrics will still be tracked and used by all parties involved, including future projects and contracts.

Think of the quarterback who greatly exceeds expectations during his rookie contract.

There's no scenario where the developer will think, "we got a check, we don't care what usage the game is getting".
Oh for sure; it matters, I said right above you.

And yeah future games getting a better payout for GamePass is a factor especially if a sequel comes along.

I've noticed its one of the most popular games on gamepass. Maybe if the analytics are favorable to Microsoft they will consider funding an exclusive sequel.
Interesting proposition. I wonder if this were to happen, what would the budget be for an exclusive Gamepass sequel? The dev's and Xbox have the numbers. Do they now scale it back based on those numbers to make it more "profitable" so to speak. Or do they gamble and eat it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Interesting proposition. I wonder if this were to happen, what would the budget be for an exclusive Gamepass sequel? The dev's and Xbox have the numbers. Do they now scale it back based on those numbers to make it more "profitable" so to speak. Or do they gamble and eat it.

Square Enix probably wouldn't allow day one to Gamepass. Just exclusive to Xbox and PC with it eventually coming to gamepass once sales dry up.

Starcheif

Glad to see AAA games that didn't quite hit their objectives get a deserved second chance. I've downloaded it but haven't had the time to try it yet. Indie devs happy, AAA devs happy, gamers happy.

I enjoyed this game so much! Made me laugh alot also. I probably would have never played this if not for game pass.

Square is gone to put all their future game that flops on Gamepass lol
so Final Fantasy stranger of paradise & Babylon Falls are coming

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have been so impressed with this game. Started up on Saturday after finished up ER and stranger of paradise.

This game is extremely polished so far, the VO is FANTASTIC, and the writing Is great! It’s funny, serious, and overall I am having a complete blast.

I am not on GP, but I have to imagine this is a gem for all those players that have access to it now.

Godot25

Banned
None of that changes how people felt though. You might see a distinction where most others only saw another potential waste of money. It certainly kept me from buying at release.
I don't think issue was that Avengers bombed.

Issue was terrible marketing from Square Enix.

DukeNukem00

Banned
gameplay is not that great tho, and that matters the most in the end. I stopped playing after 90min or so because it was just very bland and the controls, especially the fighting system, was just clunky as fuck with awful attack animations, among the worst in recent memory for me in fact

Usually id agree with gameplay mattering the most, but one hand, gameplay doesnt mean combat alone, like most people like to think. Combat is very sparse a lot of the game and after you unlock all the powers its more engaging and interesting than it is in the first few hours.

But most important, this game has multiple areas besides imediate combat at which it is top of the line that cover for the imediate combat not being the most deep ever. You have a visual makeup of the world thats unlike any other AAA game, probably ever. A game with a gigantic budget like this one simply is not made like this. Having these weird and super cool alien world, and shitload of them at that. The graphical quality on PC is completely top tier. GFX of the highest calibre, at the top level. The game is simply a visual feast from start to finish the likes we rarely ever get.

The voice acting is so good and professional that it just blows your mind. The acting and delivery in this game beats most movies. Its worth to play the game just to experience the craft of the actors doing this. Then you have a comedic storyline thats vastly better than both movies. Vastly better. A movie like quality script which is a comedy, very rare in games.

When you have so many peaks in so many areas in your game, the fact that the combat is not that deep matters almost none at all. You're not even engaging in combat most of the time, its an extremely small amount for the first half of the game so it matters even less.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I wonder what Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem and the rest of the gang finds somethibg funny about this.

I find it weird that someone would laugh about an underrated game, which also has been said several times here, actually gets audience or recognition.

Probably because its thanks for game pass, but maybe I'm missing something 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bramble

The game reviewed good and was praised by a lot of people. It's sad to see Game Pass is needed to get the game the attention it deserved.

If UK boxed charts are anything to go with, the sales split in week 43 was 63% (PS5), 19% (PS4), 18% (XBS). The Xbox number is pretty alarming, if you ask me.

Please buy good games, people.

Ozriel

M$FT
Played it on Gamepass... yeah this game is made for GP lol.

Definitely a game I wouldn't buy but would try on GP.

How is it ‘made for Gamepass’?

Does An AAA multiplatform game with a popular Marvel IP scream ‘Gamepass’?

The game reviewed good and was praised by a lot of people. It's sad to see Game Pass is needed to get the game the attention it deserved.

If UK boxed charts are anything to go with, the sales split in week 43 was 63% (PS5), 19% (PS4), 18% (XBS). The Xbox number is pretty alarming, if you ask me.

Please buy good games, people.

the alarming bit is you using UK boxed splits for any analysis.

Last edited:

Bramble

How is it ‘made for Gamepass’?

Does An AAA multiplatform game with a popular Marvel IP scream ‘Gamepass’?

the alarming bit is you using UK boxed splits for any analysis.

If you have any other intel, please feel free to share. Apart from that, it's pretty common a game gets sold mostly on PS platforms. I mean there's a lot more PS consoles out there. The fact that a good game needs to be on a subscription services to finally be appreciated by a bigger audience, is sad, imo. To be clear I also think the game should've sold more on PS.

T-Cake

Started playing this yesterday - intriguing is my chosen word. I've been enjoying the crew banter and the first location. But my god it looks ghastly on Xbox Series S. Very sharp/grainy looking and back to 30fps to boot. :( Am tempted to whazz it on my PC as I should get 1080p60.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The expensive license IP didn't sell at retail due to its (unfair) association with a much worse Marvel property released not too long before that.

The a-la-carte service did it a massive service by introducing it to a lot of new people who may have been hesitant to put down full price on it thinking it would be similar to a worse product.

Not really a surprising prospect that a-la-carte service allows people to try games they wouldn't have paid full retail for, thus introducing it to a new audience.

Not criticising GP, but its "benefit" is no more significant to the IP than if it was given away on PSNow, PS+, or GWG.

If that's what it takes to get attention, my point stands. With an original IP or one self-owned by the service provider then there's some measure of benefit because its at least building value that can leveraged in a sequel, spin-off whatever.

However when we're talking about an expensive third-party license then its literally millions down the drain. Face it, what its basically saying is that people are only interested in GotG when they don't need to pay for it directly!

What this late-blooming success "proves" is that solid reviews and a successful IP are no guarantee of success. Its still an expensive flop.

Its been a boon for SE that MS have the cash to staunch some of the bleeding, but will they be so generous in the future once their first-party is delivering regularly enough to float GP by themselves? I can't see it myself because to me, a major motivation for the billions they are investing in their first-party is so they no longer need to buy in big properties. Remember the knock against GP and indeed PSNow before it, has always been the difficulty in trading off acquisition costs with subscriber revenue when third-parties are naturally going to be looking at profit maximization for themselves.

It's just so easy to abuse Gamepass, you pretty much can play the game for 1$ now, all you need is to create a new email if you have already used a trial. Anyone that was waiting for a price drop etc to check out the game now has no incentive to buy it on PC or Xbox.

adamsapple

Not criticising GP, but its "benefit" is no more significant to the IP than if it was given away on PSNow, PS+, or GWG.

If that's what it takes to get attention, my point stands. With an original IP or one self-owned by the service provider then there's some measure of benefit because its at least building value that can leveraged in a sequel, spin-off whatever.

However when we're talking about an expensive third-party license then its literally millions down the drain. Face it, what its basically saying is that people are only interested in GotG when they don't need to pay for it directly!

What this late-blooming success "proves" is that solid reviews and a successful IP are no guarantee of success. Its still an expensive flop.

Its been a boon for SE that MS have the cash to staunch some of the bleeding, but will they be so generous in the future once their first-party is delivering regularly enough to float GP by themselves? I can't see it myself because to me, a major motivation for the billions they are investing in their first-party is so they no longer need to buy in big properties. Remember the knock against GP and indeed PSNow before it, has always been the difficulty in trading off acquisition costs with subscriber revenue when third-parties are naturally going to be looking at profit maximization for themselves.

To be clear my post wasn't about GP specifically either, but in this very specific case, GoTG is a game that had a very unique cult following and a good critical reception but crashed and burned at the retail.

Now, on a "free" service a lot more people are getting a chance to play it .

RAIDEN1

So now that they are done with Guardians, any chance of bringing back Deus Ex? Or is Cyberpunk 2077 as good as it gets for this generation?

Ozriel

M$FT
If you have any other intel, please feel free to share. Apart from that, it's pretty common a game gets sold mostly on PS platforms. I mean there's a lot more PS consoles out there. The fact that a good game needs to be on a subscription services to finally be appreciated by a bigger audience, is sad, imo. To be clear I also think the game should've sold more on PS.

It’s an unreliable metric because it doesn’t take into considering the much higher digital splits on the Xbox platform. Especially when the all-digital Series S is factored in.

Multiplats generally sell more on PlayStation due to the higher install base, but the true splits with digital factored in are usually much closer than the boxed sales would imply.

This is well known at this point. Just surprised you didn’t know this.

This game runs terribly on my 970 (GamePass version). I've searched around for fixes but no luck. At 1080, it dips down to single digit frame rates at times. I don't require constant 60, but at least locked at 30.

Anyone have any ideas?

manfestival

As I have posted in the other thread. I really enjoyed my time with this game and appreciate the fact that it came out on gamepass. The graphics are beautiful and the story is well written. The gameplay/combat was a little hit and miss. There was definitely a better groove going towards the end of the game and I never had to use huddles(though there were times I completely forgot it was an option). Early on some of those enemies were super annoying bullet sponges. Later on there was a rock paper scissors system that allowed you to burn through the enemies real quick. However, juggling that system was annoying itself. The jokes mostly landed in this, which is rare in games for me.

AGRacing

This game runs terribly on my 970 (GamePass version). I've searched around for fixes but no luck. At 1080, it dips down to single digit frame rates at times. I don't require constant 60, but at least locked at 30.

Anyone have any ideas?
How much vram does the game try to use at your settings? My guess is too much. I had a 970.. it's the card famous for having 3.5 GB of usable vram... and I've noticed in the games I play that the usage in modern titles can be quite high.

Anyone have any ideas?

I had drops to 50 on a 2080. It's not very well optimized and the benchmark is not an indication of the games performance in anyway. Some locations are just buggy.

Ristifer

Glad it's starting to get its audience a bit more now. Absolutely loved the game, and still crank the soundtrack all the time. I think if they balance a few more aspects of the gameplay, iron out some more solid level design, and introduce some more variety (more piloting the Milano, please), a sequel could be a tremendous achievement.

DukeNukem00

Banned
The game runs exceptionally well and actually runs better in game than than it does in the benchmark, as noted by testing done by Kitguru. Its one of the smoothest and good performing games out there, especially considering its also one of the best looking games in existence.

Problem is the 970 is closing in on being 10 years old. In computer years, its from the dinosaur age. Its just not strong enough, there's no issue with the game or the optimization. The card is just old and slow. You would need to put everything on low but the settings dont have much impact on performance unfortunately, so there's not much to do. A 970 is just old.

Also, since launch the game upgraded its LOD system, so it now runs up 8-10% worse, since it renders more objects at one time than it did before. Tested by ComputerBase.de

Top Bottom