• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite’s campaign DLC rumoured for a 2025 release

Codes 208

I'm a big fan of what 343 have released, just not the quantity. Most of the complaints that are levelled at them don't bother me, and I'd be ok with them calling infinite finished right now, and move into dlc, 4v4 map and I guess cosmetics production full time.

Re:Village launched 6 months before Halo Infinite and has only just had it's DLC announced, so I think it's OK that 343 haven't announced DLC yet, but I think people have knives out for 343 and are ready to pounce on them. Personally think they ought to reduce the scope of Halo as it seems to have their people spread too thin to get work done.
The campaign feels like a finished game, but when the game launched with less features than halo 3 and less modes than halo 2, then there’s a major problem here.
But unlike Destiny, which gives players something new to enjoy every couple of weeks, with bigger updates every season and a huge expansion every year or so, all we get from 343i is a couple of new skins and gamemodes that were present since Halo 2.
tbf the first destiny took awhile for bungie to get the hang of (i mean years) and it really wasnt until a couple of years after 2 that we really saw the results of it being gaas kind of game with plenty of content, i just wished that 343 was more prepared for this release, which again, we waited twice the amount of time for half the content of the prior halos

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
seems Far out but I’ll take it.

funny to see then same people dog piling on Halo when the campagin was the best it’s ever been(save coop of course), what’s lacking is the f2p mp that’s really been lacking meaningful updates.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The campaign feels like a finished game, but when the game launched with less features than halo 3 and less modes than halo 2, then there’s a major problem here.
I don't think it is a major problem, as I said, if they were in full time dlc/map production I think everything would be fine. As is, trying to serve everyone's ideals for Halo means that everyone is unhappy.

Not being a videogame developer I can't say with certainty but it seems like the amount of work that goes into making games has increased exponentially since Halo2 so it might be better for 343 to be able to work with a staff only production rather than the, as I understand it, large numbers of freelancers being brought in for 18 months at a time in order to plug the gaps.

For whatever reason, it seems to be taking ages to get co-op out. I'd be in favour of them having cancelled that when the game was delayed and focusing on the core campaign and 4v4 game and getting that stuff into a good place. Same with Forge and so on too.

Agree with you though, double the wait time for half the content is a crazy, frustrating place to find us in.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

No, it is not. While I enjoyed Halo Infinite's campaign, I gave it a pass in a lot of areas because of this "10 year" live service support thing. So my expectations were we would get content flowing over that 10 years. So this rumor may or may not be true, but we've heard jack shit about new campaign content at all. Time for Phil Spencer and 343 to tell us exactly what is going on with Halo. Otherwise, rumors like these tend take on a life of their own.
Only thing I see from "content flow" is useless armors & useless session bullcrap. 343 & Microsoft massacred the game.

Topher

Gold Member

I didn't feel like the campaign was finished at all. We are talking about an open world game. It had one biome, very little side quest content, and a relatively short story that completed with a big question mark as to what the Endless were. I was fine with all of that since there was supposedly more on the way. If there is then that is great, but as empty as Halo Infinite is, I'd expected to know by now when more is coming.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My god… When Infinite 2 launches the kid that buys it at 10 can prolly still play it with new content when it gets grandchildren. What has gaming become? No wonder I play less and less each year.

Last edited:

Dutchy

tbf the first destiny took awhile for bungie to get the hang of (i mean years) and it really wasnt until a couple of years after 2 that we really saw the results of it being gaas kind of game with plenty of content, i just wished that 343 was more prepared for this release, which again, we waited twice the amount of time for half the content of the prior halos
Definitely true. And I certainly hadn't forgotten about it. But at least Destiny chewed up a reliable roadmap in the months after release. And even if you compare both base games, Destiny did it much much better imho.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Maybe when they stop making games that review and sell well?

I don’t believe they make their strategic decisions on unverified Reddit rumors.

oh-wait-youre-serious.gif

In all seriousness, I can't think of a single studio that has underperformed worse than 343i. They have been a huge moneysink and have delivered products that, while not bad, have underwhelmed even after delay after delay.

343 is the in dire need of better management.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean, you could just look yourself but he’s a dedicated Halo channel with 75k subs. His videos get a fair amount of viewership compared to his sub count.

Is he a reliable insider with previous halo leaks that have panned out ? Like, this isn't even coming from one of the usual people who reliably leak like tom henderson, grubb etc.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is he a reliable insider with previous halo leaks that have panned out ?
Not that I’m aware of. I’ll let people decide whether they think someone with a dedicated Halo channel who’s viewership is often in the 100k-200k plus range could realistically have a contact at 343.

Like, this isn't even coming from one of the usual people who reliably leak like tom henderson, grubb etc.
lmao

Naked Lunch

Im not so sure about this one.
Im diehard Halo and ive seen Campaign DLC release rumors of 2023, 2024, and now 2025 in the span of a few weeks.
Im calling BS.
Counter argument: it did take the MCC 6 years to get its shit together - but it is a pretty awesome package now. So maybe theres a chance it is true? Gah its frustrating as a Halo fan.

Forge and co-op is coming in Autumn. This will open up the content floodgates finally.
As a daily Infinite player, the player base did come back in mass for the launch of Season 2 - but with its anemic content, they left again. This says to me people do like the game in general, theyre just starved for content. Now im stuck playing all the Halo sweat freaks - its rough out there.

For me, Infinite is clearly a better game than 343's H4 and H5 by miles - it now needs new maps and lots of them. The mere 2 they added in Season 2 are of a very high quality to be fair. The new Infinite maps are really really good - maybe 343's best theyve ever made - that is a good sign for the future.

343 is the in dire need of better management.
I keep seeing this and while its true - Joe Staten seems to be incharge of Infinite going forward as of 2021-22. Thats a pretty big addition to 'management'. Ill give him a chance and see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Come on man, after the Kojima Xbox partnership, we should be well past that point now. He was literally the only insider who was talking about it as early as April 2021.
Come on man, after all the bullshit he has spouted in the past we should be well past that point now. Now please excuse me whilst I go and pee pee from my butt.

Also, he’s a ‘banned’ source on GAF.

tsZwgrZ.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That can't be right can it?

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Has to be a joke right

If I'm not mistaken they wanted to create Infinite as a hub for 10 years of future content or some shit like that, right ?

So the story "DLC" could just be like the full next chapter built on that hub/infrastructure.

A different portion of Zeta Halo with a new story and more Atrioch.

Leyasu

Banned
No, it is not. While I enjoyed Halo Infinite's campaign, I gave it a pass in a lot of areas because of this "10 year" live service support thing. So my expectations were we would get content flowing over that 10 years. So this rumor may or may not be true, but we've heard jack shit about new campaign content at all. Time for Phil Spencer and 343 to tell us exactly what is going on with Halo. Otherwise, rumors like these tend take on a life of their own.
10 yr live service with a 7+ hr expansion every 3yrs is ok. A 1hr plus expansion every 3yrs is not.

Also, I don’t think that they will talk about their plans this year unfortunately

elliot5

10 yr live service with a 7+ hr expansion every 3yrs is ok. A 1hr plus expansion every 3yrs is not.

Also, I don’t think that they will talk about their plans this year unfortunately
I think they will on the 1 year anniversary of the game

Come on man, after the Kojima Xbox partnership, we should be well past that point now. He was literally the only insider who was talking about it as early as April 2021.

Honestly I believe you need to let the site owner make that decision. After all we are just guests in his house.

Maybe let EviLore EviLore know about this if you feel things need to change here.

Im ok with it if he’s ok with it.

Ezquimacore

Banned
If this is true it's not going to be just a dlc. It will be a second part but using Infinite as a platform. Kinda like Destiny.... But better.

Hezekiah

Banned
Everyone who isn’t a blind fanboy can see that Infinite is a train wreck that was under 6 years of failed development, rushed out the door and redone over the last year of its development, and its an IP that has been horribly mismanaged by both Xbox and 343i for over a decade now.
I still say staff up i.d tech with a second team and let them handle the franchise before it dies.

Bar81

WTH , they could make a new campaign/game in that amount of time.
This is 343, they couldn't even get an engine up and running in 2 years. Halo Infinite still doesn't have a proper campaign and was in development for 6+ years.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is 343, they couldn't even get an engine up and running in 2 years. Halo Infinite still doesn't have a proper campaign and was in development for 6+ years.
And that's on Phil Spencer who seems to really struggle with putting competent people in charge of the studios. Bonnie Ross simply has not done the job.

When he did hire a competent person, Rod Fergusson, who ran the Coalition, he got two solid (if not groundbreaking) games in a 5 year period: Gears 4 and Gears 5. Another studio that has been rock solid for MS is Playground games, developer of Forza. Forza is admittedly an easier game to develop than most, but still MS needs to make it a priority to put competent people in charge of AAA games. Once Rodd is finished with Diablo IV, MS should bring him into a place like Bethesda and get to work on a Fallout game.

Last edited:
343i just can't help themselves in killing this IP off, can they?

Why the hell would this take until 2025? Their studio must be in shambles with the rampant departures and disorganization.

It's embarrassing.

Yeah, but then what are people thinking that they need 3yrs to develop?

343 are a train wreck, but surely even they must know that 3yrs to make a 1hr expansion will not be anywhere near enough

That's a funny joke. But, this is 343i, so this could actually be true.

what they have released has been really good. just the way theyve gone about it has been messy.

which makes me think this actually could be true. if they are going for a 10 year plan with this game then it makes sense they will have some big update including a campaign expansion, essentially making it halo infinite campaign part 2. perhaps they will do a part 3 closer to 2030. thats my guess.

either that or this is a straight up lie made up by a nobody

It's not 1993 anymore; just having good, solid game mechanics isn't nearly enough. The gunplay in HI might be strong but if there's little you can do with it, the majority get bored and move on.

Which is what's been happening with Halo Infinite. Season 2 was a blip at best, and now the downward trend the game's had since January has continued. Going by Steam numbers since those are publicly available; the majority of the playerbase might be on Xbox but that combined playerbase is probably under 80K and the same downward trend for the game is on that platform as well.

Most live-service shooters, if they don't do well within the first few seasons, are basically dead for good. Halo Infinite's nearing that point IMO. It's not like there won't be increased competition with future Apex Legends, VALORANT, Destiny 2 updates, or upcoming games like Overwatch 2. I don't think campaign co-op or Forge will be enough to make the game stand out by the time those are ready.

Battle Royal might be the only thing to really rejuvenate the game and it'll have to be a really special take on the formula.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
That can't be true,
Might as well make a new game at that point. "lollipop_disappointed:
How big is this expansion?
This has gotta be pretty much a whole campaigns worth for this to be true.
Has to be a joke right
Why the hell would this take until 2025?
In an old Mixer livestream 343i compared Halo Infinite with MCC, basically explaining what "platform for future Halo Games" means. That means there will be one multiplayer that they will update adding Forge/Certain Affinity's Battle Royale mode etc. And multiple campaigns. I don't believe this "2025" rumor sourced from this guy but if they are making a full sized campaign it won't release in a year or two. They classified the "Zeta Halo" campaign as a DLC and if Infinite is supposed to be anything like MCC, we will get more full sized campaigns.
When Infinite 2 launches
343i has said that there won't be any Infinite 2. The future of Halo will be built on Infinite.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Here is a 3 step plan on fixing Halo:
1.) Fire the heads at 343i
2.) Scrap Halo Infinite entirely.
3.) Move over to Unreal Engine 5 for the follow up title.

Boom. Just fixed 99% of the issues with the Halo franchise.

Yeah, other than Joe, move the other heads to other places.

I REALLY don't understand why they didn't build upon Halo 5. Halo is by far the most competitive out of all Halos and personally, the pistol start was so much better. The issue with Halo 5 was CONTENT and a new engine fixes ALL OF THAT.

Also... the Halo engine has to be 2nd to none other than Bungies Destiny engine. They both suffer the SAME PROBLEMS. Too long to develop content for. Hard to adjust for patches and is just buggy.

I don't understand why they don't use the ForaTech engine or I don't know... why not use idTech which belongs to... the dev that was bundled in with the Bethesda purchase.

Halos engine is good but you can tell it's so bloated that it's too long to develop with it.

Topher

Gold Member

Probably not. I'm still hoping they can bring new content to the campaign next year.

Edit: What did the guy keep saying in the video? Hopium? lol

Last edited:

Dutchy

I keep seeing this and while its true - Joe Staten seems to be incharge of Infinite going forward as of 2021-22. Thats a pretty big addition to 'management'. Ill give him a chance and see how it plays out.
Staten joined about 6 months before the release of Halo Infinite. His 'addition' to their 'management' is already on display unfortunately.

Dutchy

You have no clue what you're talking about, he head of creative he's not general manager of 343. If you don't know something best not say anything at all next time 😃
Read the post I replied to. Also, notice the quotation marks?

Until you haven't done that I suggest you stop being a wittle baby. I know far more about the games and studio than you. Enough to know that Infinite is a hopeless pile of shit. That part is what's riling you up right?

Read the post I replied to. Also, notice the quotation marks?

Until you haven't done that I suggest you stop being a wittle baby. I know far more about the games and studio than you. Enough to know that Infinite is a hopeless pile of shit. That part is what's riling you up right?
You specifically mentioned management in your post did you not? In regards to Joe Staten, I corrected you as he is not charged with the day to day running of 343. I am disappointed with Halo Infinite of course but Staten has improved things and will continue to do so hopefully.

Bragr

Banned
It's a bit weird to watch some of the stuff being discussed on here at times.

This is OBVIOUSLY fake.

Kokoloko85

Man that cant be true. Wtf?
Halo 3 came out in 2007, ODST 2009 and Reach in 2010… all better games than Halo Infinite.
MS seriously needs to get rid of 343, why are they allowing this

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That can't be true.
But if so, 343i needs to be completely revamped or even removed from the Halo license.

Edit: also wtf asked for a BR... 343i needs to focus their resources where it matters, not this bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom