• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends: Z-A releases simultaneously worldwide in 2025 on Nintendo Switch

Pokémon Legends: Z-A, an ambitious new entry to the Pokémon video game series, will launch on Nintendo Switch systems in 2025!

A new adventure awaits within Lumiose City, where an urban redevelopment plan is under way to shape the city into a place that belongs to both people and Pokémon.

Pokémon Legends: Z-A
Releasing simultaneously worldwide in 2025
Official website: https://legends.pokemon.com/en-us/
NOTE: This trailer does not contain actual game footage.

GHWXVV5XwAEYitJ

Last edited:

Hudo

So is this the "third" version of X and Y but with more substantial changes to the gameplay (hence "Legends")?

SCB3

Too fast, you missed the ZA part lol

Anyway, this was a surprise as I expected BW remakes and for the next legends game to be Johto, I've not got to play X/Y yet (I own them but still on White on my run through them all)so this will be fun, and Mega Evos are back

Too fast, you missed the ZA part lol

Anyway, this was a surprise as I expected BW remakes and for the next legends game to be Johto, I've not got to play X/Y yet (I own them but still on White on my run through them all)so this will be fun, and Mega Evos are back
Welp! I'll ask a mod to change it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: Thread title has been updated!

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why is it only called Z if it has that Λ as well? Edit: oh that's an A. Kay.

Last edited:

Blindy

Lots of games forever stuck on 3DS( Fire Emblem Awakening, Kid Iccarus: Uprising, LOZ: Link Between Worlds), Pokemon X/Y/Z wasn't the immediate one to save from the sinking ship.

Alexios

So, people who played the latest few games what does this appear to be? Any hints from the city layout/visual style of the art shown before? Arceus-like? X & Y like? Did Arceus have one major city so the city here might be it for the new game? Too little to guess anything by?

2025 is far, Switch + Switch 2 release a la BOTW?

Last edited:

Mitsurux

Really wish they would have showed game play, or something. But since i have never played X or Y i'll be keeping my eye on this. 2025 Will it be on Switch or Switch 2....

tkscz

Pokemon Legends reverse alphabet?

GameFreak getting ridiculous with their naming scheme.
It's a continuation of X and Y. Funny enough this was after they pulled the Pokemon Black and White 2 instead of Pokemon Grey. So we didn't know if X and Y were getting X and Y 2 or Pokemon Z.

It got neither until apparently 12 years later.

SCB3

So, people who played the latest few games what does this appear to be? Any hints from the city layout/visual style of the art shown before? Arceus-like? X & Y like? Did Arceus have one major city so the city here might be it for the new game? Too little to guess anything by?

2025 is far, Switch + Switch 2 release a la BOTW?
So Arceus was a reimaging of the world in Diamond and Pearl called Sinnoh, it did feature a lot of the landmarks and general areas but they were completely different as they were 100's of years in the past

This looks to be a Virtual City, and based on Paris which is a giant circle of a city anyway, I've not played X/Y so I'm not sure how much of France it was supposed to be (for example Black and White were based on the USA but only really was New York and New Jersey)

SCB3

It's a continuation of X and Y. Funny enough this was after they pulled the Pokemon Black and White 2 instead of Pokemon Grey. So we didn't know if X and Y were getting X and Y 2 or Pokemon Z.

It got neither until apparently 12 years later.
They did it 4 times,BW->Grey X and Y -> Z, Sun and Moon -> Stars and Sword/shield -> Gun

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So this is great but also scary. I assume this is a switch two and switch title. Just worried that developers are not going to take advantage of switch 2 and we have crossgen graphics and features since they won’t won’t to screw over switch 1 titles.

AetherZX

So this is great but also scary. I assume this is a switch two and switch title. Just worried that developers are not going to take advantage of switch 2 and we have crossgen graphics and features since they won’t won’t to screw over switch 1 titles.
wrong dev to worry about this tbh, assume it looks like ass.

Saber

Gold Member
Didn't like Arceus at all, but I do agree it brough some interesting concepts. Moving from there and improving could work and I see they are finally coming back to Megas. No matter what stupid gimmicks they create, nothing actually beat megas.

MirageMew2

Interesting that they emphasize it being set in Lumuiose City as opposed to the whole of the region. This doesn’t even seem like it’ll be set as far back as Legends Arceus, with Lumiose under construction it’s probably still called Kalos.

Curious if we’re back to Monster Hunter esque maps or if it’s even the same kind of game.

Dazraell

Fucking GameFreak. People thinking they will announce a new game set in Johto or Unova, and they do one in Kalos instead

Honestly, it's a very interesting choice. I really enjoyed Arceus and hopefully the next game will be a similar surprise which will bring some new things to the table

Alexios

In the history of whatever, i dont recall a single developer referring to the switch line in plural
Weird, I just looked at one of the most recent videos on the NOA channel:

"The curtain rises March 22 only on the Nintendo Switch™ family of systems."
Maybe Switch 2 releases before March 22 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Codes 208

Weird, I just looked at one of the most recent videos on the NOA channel:

That's plural, no? 🤷‍♂️

Fair, but also 98% of the time it generally “the switch” in announcements. But if we dive deeper, Going into the semantics, “family of systems” would imply same gen but different hardware like the switch line or xbox series

But a vague “switch systems” with a release window that just happens to correlate with the leaks/rumored release window of the switch 2 just screams cross-gen to me.

Alexios

But a vague “switch systems” with a release window that just happens to correlate with the leaks/rumored release window of the switch 2 just screams cross-gen to me.
Never said it's not gonna be cross-gen, if you actually look I said it before/simultaneously, but obviously they didn't go oooopsie leaking it like this, you're reaching over semantics.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is one of those game titles I wish Blockbuster was still around for so I could laugh at the inbred high school employees trying to pronounce it over angry voice mail because it's six days late back to the store.

Other fun examples include "Final Fantasy Ecks,"

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

tkscz

A lot of this sounds about right for Game Freak which has me worried about the game engine they're using.

The Switch is out and nearly a year into it's life when we got Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on the 3DS, same with B&W2 on the DS a year after the 3DS released, so releasing in 2025 on the Switch sounds about right for them.

Same goes for releasing a Legends game of a generation different from the remake. So I can still see them having another team do a B&W remake while they focus on Legends Z-A.

That said, with them repeating things they normally do, I worry they will still use the engine they've been using. I still believe the engine used for S&S/V&S is the same engine they used on 3DS, terribly moved over to the switch with glitches, and a complete misunderstanding of how a open world game should be programmed. So while I'm partially excited, unless I see a new engine, I have my doubts.

Top Bottom