• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends: Z-A releases simultaneously worldwide in 2025 on Nintendo Switch

Fucking GameFreak. People thinking they will announce a new game set in Johto or Unova, and they do one in Kalos instead

Honestly, it's a very interesting choice. I really enjoyed Arceus and hopefully the next game will be a similar surprise which will bring some new things to the table
Oh another game announced later in the year is already expected.

Dazraell

Oh another game announced later in the year is already expected.
Either this or it was supposed to launch this year, but recent Switch successor delay caused its slipping to next year. The second scenario would probably be a positive outcome for GameFreak as them rushing with Pokemon games is unfortunately a very noticeable trend

imho there's still a chance. I don't believe Nintendo is going to leaving the holiday season without something Pokémon related. I can see a ILCA take on B&W.
I wish. I'd like to avoid prison because I'd have to rob a bank to buy those old damn games.

AREYOUOKAY?

It happend

8c6fwyaoc9q91.png
Fascinating.

GcZ6KBr.jpg

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

rubenburgt

Ugly logo, but i am definitely hyped if the game is based on X and Y and has the gameplay from Legends Arceus.

Also, love how they emphasize Mega Evolutions at the end. This has been requested by most pokemon players and instead did we got stupid gimmicks such as dances, giant Pokemons and crystallized Pokemons.

tkscz

2025 and no platform...
Like I said before, Game Freak has done this twice before. The Switch was out for nearly a year when they released Ultra Sun and Moon on the 3DS and the 3DS was out of nearly two years when they released Black and White 2 on the DS. If anything it confirms we get a Switch successor anytime between late this year to early next year.

This is one of those game titles I wish Blockbuster was still around for so I could laugh at the inbred high school employees trying to pronounce it over angry voice mail because it's six days late back to the store.

Other fun examples include "Final Fantasy Ecks,"

We're already in trouble with all the Americans calling it 'Pokemon Zee-A' and the rest of the world pronouncing it properly as 'Pokemon Zed-A'

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Soooooo fucking happy they didn't touch Isshu/Unova or Johto. Do WHATEVER you want with Gen 6. That gen is bad and the start of bad pokemon.

Jinzo Prime

So, the name of the game is a direct reference to the character AZ, the only known immortal human in Pokemon.

XY_AZ.png

I won't spoil what he did, but the name AZ seems to be a reference to the Biblical saying "I am the alpha and the omega" - the beginning and the end.

Reversing the letters in the title is showing that the game is going from the end to the beginning. So we are rebuilding something after it was destroyed?

Saber

Gold Member
Game will take place entirely within Lumiose City.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I’m intrigued.

Nite that Lumiose city itself is not big, just convoluted.
Unless this Legends is about a future version(or old), where an entire continent is Lumiose.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So is this the "third" version of X and Y but with more substantial changes to the gameplay (hence "Legends")?
I don't think so, they used the Legends brand for Arceus so I think it will probably be more like that.

The verbage of "Nintendo Switch systems" is new, as far as memory serves. Nintendo usual way of communicating is "_________ coming _______ to Nintendo Switch".

Last edited:
Shocked that there's no Pokémon game for 2024. Leaves the Switch lineup quite empty looking.
This exhausting need to have a new Pokemon title every holiday has become super untenable as development cycles have begun taking longer, resulting in loss of quality over time, particularly since the 3DS days. The longer it takes, the better. They can fill in the gaps with remakes from external partners, or DLC. We never got brand new Pokemon games every year on DS or 3DS. It only started with the Switch generation, really. Prior to that, the only time we'd get a Pokemon games two years in a row would be the "Z" or "Yellow" version of a new gen, so more like an expansion pack.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Shocked that there's no Pokémon game for 2024. Leaves the Switch lineup quite empty looking.
Thats not that surprising. With the switch 2 launch window being between fall-early 2025, the standard switch line up is going to look barren until they announce the launch games for the next system

Last edited:

Woopah

This exhausting need to have a new Pokemon title every holiday has become super untenable as development cycles have begun taking longer, resulting in loss of quality over time, particularly since the 3DS days. The longer it takes, the better. They can fill in the gaps with remakes from external partners, or DLC. We never got brand new Pokemon games every year on DS or 3DS. It only started with the Switch generation, really. Prior to that, the only time we'd get a Pokemon games two years in a row would be the "Z" or "Yellow" version of a new gen, so more like an expansion pack.
Its definitely a good thing that they are going to give games more time, I'm just surprised they are breaking thre Pokémon cycle they have been following on Switch so far.
Thats not that surprising. With the switch 2 launch window being between fall-early 2025, the standard switch line up is going to look barren until they announce the launch games for the next system
It makes sense, but is still disappointing.

I think they will still have a major release for Switch 1 this holiday, either Metroid Prime 4 or a new Donkey Kong platformer or something to drive a last gasp of sales through the holidays.

I had assumed it was gonna be a Pokemon game revealed here today, leaves it wide open for something else though, which is interesting.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

A lot of this sounds about right for Game Freak which has me worried about the game engine they're using.

The Switch is out and nearly a year into it's life when we got Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on the 3DS, same with B&W2 on the DS a year after the 3DS released, so releasing in 2025 on the Switch sounds about right for them.

Same goes for releasing a Legends game of a generation different from the remake. So I can still see them having another team do a B&W remake while they focus on Legends Z-A.

That said, with them repeating things they normally do, I worry they will still use the engine they've been using. I still believe the engine used for S&S/V&S is the same engine they used on 3DS, terribly moved over to the switch with glitches, and a complete misunderstanding of how a open world game should be programmed. So while I'm partially excited, unless I see a new engine, I have my doubts.
Part of me is somewhat optimistic in the games setting just being in Lumiose City. That would make it a more reasonable scale with the resources they have. I did like the changes Legends Arceus brought, but it was very ugly and barren outside the village. Since it is being given more development time, I hope it is a bit more polished despite it probably being from the same engine.

Codes 208

I think they will still have a major release for Switch 1 this holiday, either Metroid Prime 4 or a new Donkey Kong platformer or something to drive a last gasp of sales through the holidays.

I had assumed it was gonna be a Pokemon game revealed here today, leaves it wide open for something else though, which is interesting.
I think this will be a filler year, perhaps a port or two like zelda hd but i suspect the next big mario (or similar) will be saved for NS2

I think this will be a filler year, perhaps a port or two like zelda hd but i suspect the next big mario (or similar) will be saved for NS2

A next-gen exclusive 3D Mario + better version of cross-gen Pokemon Legends would be a strong 1-2 punch at launch. I just don't think they want to go in to a holiday season with really nothing, they still need to sell these console for another 12 months if the rumours are true.

A next-gen exclusive 3D Mario + better version of cross-gen Pokemon Legends would be a strong 1-2 punch at launch. I just don't think they want to go in to a holiday season with really nothing, they still need to sell these console for another 12 months if the rumours are true.
I think this is exactly what they are figuring out behind the scenes as we speak. What to put out this year despite the internal delay of the new console, and what to hold for the new console’s launch day/ launch window.

I think they’ll spread out Luigi’s Mansion and TTYD through mid-summer and then drop a couple interesting announcements late spring/early summer to fill out the rest of the year.

I think there’s a strong chance Metroid Prime 4 for Switch launches this year regardless of the new console being pushed back. And the next-gen version simply comes out later next year.

Alright, I am not a Pokemon player. Please answer the question.

Is this actually a sequel or “legends” version of Pokemon XY?

If so, Nintendo would have been wise to remake or remaster Pokemon XY for Switch and get it out this year.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Alright, I am not a Pokemon player. Please answer the question.

Is this actually a sequel or “legends” version of Pokemon XY?

If so, Nintendo would have been wise to remake or remaster Pokemon XY for Switch and get it out this year.
It's only based in the largest city in X/Y. No one knows if its a sequel but X/Y was MEANT to get a third version called Z. But it's meant to be in an overhauled Luminose City so it COULD be set in the near future of X/Ys setting.

Entire game takes place in Paris but X/Y covered all of France.

It's only based in the largest city in X/Y. No one knows if its a sequel but X/Y was MEANT to get a third version called Z. But it's meant to be in an overhauled Luminose City so it COULD be set in the near future of X/Ys setting.

Entire game takes place in Paris but X/Y covered all of France.
So then, naturally. My next question is this a direct take on the Pokemon XYZ anime? Sorry, i know nothing about this subject.

Last edited:
Anime is a seperate entity to the games but it sort of was promotional material with Zygarde forms and Ash-Greninja which were both put into Sun and Moon instead.
From a business standpoint, I do not understand why Nintendo didn’t capitalize on having a Switch version of Pokemon X/Y for this year?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
From a business standpoint, I do not understand why Nintendo didn’t capitalize on having a Switch version of Pokemon X/Y for this year?
X/Y released in 2013 bro and they were barely finished. Z was a supposed 2015 game that never materialised. Consider this trying to capitalise on an unfulfilled concept. I think that city was legit BIG for a Pokemon city too. Like multiple areas.

This is a better concept than open wastelands of nothing. I'll say that.

Mythoclast

I dont understand how a Legends version would work being set entirely within a city. Urban environments only? That sounds weird

iHaunter

I need to see what it looks like. Legends was an absolute disgrace to the Pokémon franchise. Surprised they didn't get sued for releasing that vaporware of a scam.

X/Y released in 2013 bro and they were barely finished. Z was a supposed 2015 game that never materialised. Consider this trying to capitalise on an unfulfilled concept. I think that city was legit BIG for a Pokemon city too. Like multiple areas.

This is a better concept than open wastelands of nothing. I'll say that.
Sure, I agree with you. I know nothing about this. I simply meant, there is rumors out there of another Pokemon game for this year. Something shown in a Nintnedo Direct. If that is true, it should have been X/Y remake, imo. If Z ties into X/Y.

If it is GB games coming to NSO, or Black/White remake, those would be big, but X/Y seems more fitting, if Z is coming in early 2025.

tmlDan

So i take it they're not taking their time to release and actual good game but will continue to push out pokemon shovelware.

nice.

Top Bottom