• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power & Noise - Full Tear Down & Comparison with PS5

pasterpl

I know right, I wish I had super hearing like some on here.

Noise measurement of common sounds:
  • Whisper: 30 dB
  • Normal conversation: 60 dB
  • Lawn mower: 90 dB
  • Movie theater: 80-100 dB
  • Live music: 100-115 dB

when you compare it to jet engine it seems not huge, but then you look at 15 vs 25 db and look at the actual % difference we are talking about 66% quieter console vs already quiet ps5

also

HOW DO DECIBELS RELATE TO SOUND LEVEL?
The human ear's response to sound level is roughly logarithmic (based on powers of 10), and the dB scale reflects that fact. An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud. Therefore a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in intensity. For example - 10dB is 10 times more intense than 1dB, while 20dB is 100 times more intense than 1dB. The sound intensity multiplies by 10 with every 10dB increase.

Loxus

Yeah 10db is quite noticable. I cant hear Series X at all expect in Avengers where there is a slight very silent fan spin

i can always hear my ps5, even in ps4 games. Ps5 sounds more in dashboard that series x in games. The ps5 fan sounds more high pitched to - and this is not counting coil while (which a friends ps5 has quite bad, mine is not that bad - still can hear it too)

10db is quite a lot actually
I guess you game with your consoles up against your ear, cause that's the only way you hear a whisper. 😂

DaGwaphics

To achieve 13-14TF, you would have to clock the GPU around 1975-2125MHz.

Having 52CUs will not only increase power consumption but also heat output. It isn't the same as PS5 because it's 36CUs Vs 52CUs.

Just raising the fan curve isn't going to help, especially with the heat output we're seeing now

I wasn't implying what could or could not be achieved in TFs. Just stating the obvious that using a more aggressive fan curve could eliminate the heat that the testing results are showing. Therefore there would have been room to push clocks higher if they didn't care about noise.

This is easily demonstrated with any modern PC GPU. If you use the standard curve (which is generally off until about 60 degrees or so) and run benchmarks you will get a lot of heat, because you allowed the heat to pile up in the first place. You can then set the fan at a locked 100% and run the same benchmarks and what you will see is peak temperatures that are 20 even 30 degrees cooler, because you never let the heat build up to start with.

MS has struck a good balance with a cooling solution that is whisper quiet and does what is needed to keep the APUs in safe temperature ranges. Without question they could have pushed the APUs more aggressively if they didn't care if the units sounded like leaf blowers. I'm glad they went the way they did, the silence is appreciated. Both my X1 and especially my PS4 slim could go full jet on certain titles.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You would think so, in interviews Jason Ronald basically said they just wanted twice Xbox One X performance. It would be interesting to know if they had any internal testing about how far the cooling system could be pushed. RDNA2 does operate at higher clocks so it must be possible.
I don’t think they hit twice XB1X performance, iirc from earlier talks there is something they stumble on which is why some BC games get boosted low res XB1 versions instead of boosted high res XB1X versions.

skit_data

when you compare it to jet engine it seems not huge, but then you look at 15 vs 25 db and look at the actual % difference we are talking about 66% quieter console vs already quiet ps5

also
Its still a really, really faint sound. If anything, comparing a 25 vs 15 dB sound to something like a jet engine at 130-140 dB gives a really bad representation of how low 15/25 dB is and the difference between them because of the logarithmic scaling of dB.

In short, a 10dB increase is not that much when we are talking such low levels of sound pressure.

Its still a really, really faint sound. If anything, comparing a 25 vs 15 dB sound to something like a jet engine at 130-140 dB gives a really bad representation of how low 15/25 dB is and the difference between them because of the logarithmic scaling of dB.

In short, a 10dB increase is not that much when we are talking such low levels of sound pressure.
Twice as loud but still quiet.

I guess you game with your consoles up against your ear, cause that's the only way you hear a whisper. 😂

As somebody who heavily prefers quiet PC builds, let me tell you that 10db difference is quite a lot on a logarithmic scale.
30db is the sound of somebody whispering directly into your ear and that is very much noticeable.

A Dark Rock pro/Noctua CPU cooler is sitting at around 25db when running full speed, which is already way too loud for people who want to run silent systems.
I gave away my PS4pro after a month, because I just couldn't stand the f*cking noise (between 50 and 60 db).

Silent systems are a sign of good engineering and very much appreciated by those who don't want noisy electronics in their homes.
Unfortunately, noise hasn't been a priority for SONY so far, hence my reluctance to even get a PS5 (even if I really like their games).

Last edited:

Loxus

also
We need to use common sense here.
A whisper is 30 dB and you can't hear what someone is whispering into someone's ear a foot away.

How tf you going to hear the difference between PS5 and XBSX.
You would hear other sounds before you hear these consoles.

Most of you all are lying for no reason.

Tripolygon

Banned

Having 52CUs will not only increase power consumption but also heat output. It isn't the same as PS5 because it's 36CUs Vs 52CUs.

Just raising the fan curve isn't going to help, especially with the heat output we're seeing now
People always forget power does not scale linearly with clock. PS5 draws more power than XSX because it is clocked higher. At higher clocks, variable frequency scaling becomes that much more necessary because it would be wasteful to ping the clock speed at a constant high frequency.

For the db thing :I play everything with headphones usually but hearing both consoles at stress points, the PS5 does this very slight whoosh sound with the fans, the SX is basically inaudible (at least vertical).

Last edited:

skit_data

Except for the freaking PS5 fan lottery coil whine. I can hear mine.
Yeah, that one really sucks. I’d like to see if they have corrected it or if its isolated to the first batch of consoles.

Mine is quiet(it was audible at launch though, guess they changed the fan curve or something) but its pretty bad that so many consoles have coil whine because it kinda defeats the purpose of their whole cooling solution.

JackMcGunns

jason-ronald.png

harry potter and the philosophers stone GIF

gk459Th.jpg

Zathalus

We need to use common sense here.
A whisper is 30 dB and you can't hear what someone is whispering into someone's ear a foot away.

How tf you going to hear the difference between PS5 and XBSX.
You would hear other sounds before you hear these consoles.

Most of you all are lying for no reason.
Are you so wrapped up in defending your console of choice that you call a number of forum members liars because they state the PS5 is slightly louder than the XSX? While stating that is is still very quiet mind you?

Jesus dude, step back and get some perspective. What's next, you going to go off on a rant if somebody points out that the PS5 is larger too?

I don't hear either console, not sure why others do. If I mute the tv and have no other noise at all and tried to hear something I probably could but in real world use I hear nothing from either.

Loxus

Are you so wrapped up in defending your console of choice that you call a number of forum members liars because they state the PS5 is slightly louder than the XSX? While stating that is is still very quiet mind you?

Jesus dude, step back and get some perspective. What's next, you going to go off on a rant if somebody points out that the PS5 is larger too?
In the video the guy said he used advance equipment to get the readings.

We had fan noise test for ages now and you guys never said anything until we get these test from his advance equipment.

So either you all are lying or have advance hearing aids.

Last edited:

Zathalus

In the video the guy said he used advance equipment to get the readings.

We had fan noise test for ages now and you guys never said anything until we get these test from his advance equipment.

So either you all are lying or have advance hearing aids.
Who the hell is 'you guys'? I've never made a single claim in this thread about how loud each respective console is. Stop having this tribal mentality that everyone is in the Xbox camp or in the Playstation camp. Some of us are perfectly able to enjoy both consoles while admitting that neither is perfect.

As for the loudness of each console, some people sit closer to thier consoles, while others have sharper hearing. Stating that 25db is inaudible is of course absurd, many people can hear a whisper from a few meters away. My younger friend can hear things I simply can't, as hearing obviously degrades with age.

Personally I can't hear either console, but I sit 2 meters away from them and my hearing is a bit below average. If I put my ear close to each console under heavy gaming load then my PS5 is a bit louder, but as I said, inaudible for me from my regular playing position.

Nobody is claiming either console is loud for regular use, unless you are one of the unlucky few that has excessive coil whine.

Loxus

Who the hell is 'you guys'? I've never made a single claim in this thread about how loud each respective console is. Stop having this tribal mentality that everyone is in the Xbox camp or in the Playstation camp. Some of us are perfectly able to enjoy both consoles while admitting that neither is perfect.

As for the loudness of each console, some people sit closer to thier consoles, while others have sharper hearing. Stating that 25db is inaudible is of course absurd, many people can hear a whisper from a few meters away. My younger friend can hear things I simply can't, as hearing obviously degrades with age.

Personally I can't hear either console, but I sit 2 meters away from them and my hearing is a bit below average. If I put my ear close to each console under heavy gaming load then my PS5 is a bit louder, but as I said, inaudible for me from my regular playing position.

Nobody is claiming either console is loud for regular use, unless you are one of the unlucky few that has excessive coil whine.
Clearly you haven't been reading through this thread or just being ignorant.

If you did watch the video you would notice something.
PS5 APU is cooler but fan noise is louder,
While XBSX APU is hotter but fan noise is lower.

There is no engineering feat about the XBSX fan noise. If it was to match PS5's APU temperature, the fan noise would be the same or louder than PS5's fan noise.

As for decibels, the guy had to use advance equipment in a sound proof room to get readings that you would have never noticed without the very same equipment. Now all of a sudden, everybody have super hearing. Unless they game with the consoles strapped to their heads.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
With PS5 there ks a cooling fan lottery, some fans are quieter then others.

I think I got a louder one because my ps5 is about as loud as my matte PS4, Im just glad the noise is a normal console consistent hum and not a jet engine when you playing an intensive game like my pro, easily the loudest console ive owned.

Zathalus

There is no engineering feat about the XBSX fan noise. If it was to match PS5's APU temperature, the fan noise would be the same or louder than PS5's fan noise.

As for decibels, the guy had to use advance equipment in a sound proof room to get readings that you would have never noticed without the very same equipment. Now all of a sudden, everybody have super hearing. Unless they game with the consoles strapped to their heads.
I made no claim about how the Xbox achieves less noise. I have no idea why you even bought that up.

He used advanced equipment in a sound proof room to get an accurate reading. Not because 25db is inaudible in a regular environment. Unless you are claiming that it is not possible to hear a whisper without advanced equipment in a sound proof room? But that would be silly.

NEbeast

No, he called out people saying they can hear a whisper from a few feet away. Are you so wrapped up in defending your console of choice that you couldn't pick that up?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
25db is super quiet. Not sure what the concern is considering the jet engines we had last gen.

I can barely hear my PS5 unless the BD drive is running.
Its not concern, its just that the silence of the Series X is preferable.

twilo99

that board is really a fine piece of engineering. so compact and clean.

I still wish there was a PC version of the Series X with Windows 11 on it.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Indeed, the whole thing really well put together.. like I said, I think the budget for this project was more than enough to give the engineers some room to play.

DaGwaphics

Well, not to sound fanboyish, but the PS5 is about the size of the average ice cream truck. LOL

The XSX is a marvel for the overall package of performance, size and quietness. It all fits together.

Loxus

I made no claim about how the Xbox achieves less noise. I have no idea why you even bought that up.

He used advanced equipment in a sound proof room to get an accurate reading. Not because 25db is inaudible in a regular environment. Unless you are claiming that it is not possible to hear a whisper without advanced equipment in a sound proof room? But that would be silly.
I think you confusing speaking softly and whispering.

Your trolling at this point.

whis·per
  1. speak very softly using one's breath without one's vocal cords, especially for the sake of privacy.

MonarchJT

Banned
Same price at retail, similar performance.
Only one is profitable, for all we know.

I’d say the PS5 is the better engineered console ;)
cmon let's be serious about it. One is LOTS bigger draw more power and is less performant ..also 150% louder all of this at the same price the PS5 come out the engineering comparation as a joke console. Sure if you wanna spin it about profitability (and as customer we shouldn't really give a fuck about how much those companies make it) we don't have proof that xsx isn't too

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I know right, I wish I had super hearing like some on here.

Noise measurement of common sounds:
  • Whisper: 30 dB
  • Normal conversation: 60 dB
  • Lawn mower: 90 dB
  • Movie theater: 80-100 dB
  • Live music: 100-115 dB

I hate people whispering while I'm watching a movie :messenger_winking_tongue:

twilo99

Its all a balancing act.

If they had a bigger box to work with, something with the size of the PS5 for example, they could've extracted much more out of the system.

I think they maxed out the space available in that case. Maybe they left a bit of performance on the table, but not much, and also this machine is designed for longevity, so no reason to push the hardware too much.

Top Bottom