• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga - New Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You can tell from the comments here who played the original game and who has not. Those asking "where's the gameplay" never had any intention of playing this gem and probably think it's a hack and slash like God of War.
I played it and I wouldn't call this a very obvious gsmeplay trailer. No aiming of those spears. She walked in the cave for a while but thats it. The rest is cinematic in game dialogue.

I personally hope the gameplay is drastically improved from the first game. Ninja Theory can make an action game if they want. But I still don't even know what type of gameplay they're even shooting for on this.

Looks heavily downgraded. Guess its another Halo scenario where the prerendered reveal is miles ahead of the actual gameplay.
Quite disappointing to say the least.

yc8jeEI.png

0Ipcliy.png

3liteDragon

What they showed before was realtime. Epic confirmed that.
Visuals look amazing in this reveal but Epic never confirmed that the first teaser was running in real-time, the facial downgrade in this one proves DF's suspicion that the first teaser for the game was in fact an in-engine pre-rendered cinematic (it was running at 24FPS which is literally the standard cinematic frame-rate).

Last edited:

AddictedProxy

Neo Member
Keep repeating yourself you will eventually believe it.
Is that not what you have been doing the whole time? The difference between us is that Im basing my opinion on existing games and prior showcases of the same game and dont just spam cause an opinion hurt my feelings.

Last edited:
I dont believe it myself? What?
Supporters? What supporters?
Lay off the crack.
It absolutely doesn’t look last gen - that is pure insanity to say that.

But I’m not really getting how this game is supposed to play. Like it seems like a quantum dream, cinematic esque game to me - which I’m not that into

Kikorin

I think the biggest downgrade compared to the original in-engine trailer is on animation side, for the rest I guess it looks comparable or at least close, but I'm watching it on my phone screen so can't judge too much.

Anyway, it looks good for sure, I just hope they'll improve gameplay from the first one, since the first Hellblade was a low-budget game that have to use lot of smart tricks to "feel" like a triple-A game, but this time they have all the money they need to develop something memorable as a game too, and not just as an "experience".

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

They literally tried to recreate some scenes from the reveal trailer. The screenshots I posted are from such a scene.

Crazy how butthurt people can get from pointing out the obvious. If anything its you thats trolling.
Butthurt? Alright dude. Have fun stirring the pot.

Yeah, the trailer overall was gorgeous but the facial animations don't live up to the reveal trailer. We will see in time.

Other issues I have with the presentation: The subpar animations (running animations, but also facial expressions); The fire/flames; the janky transitions between cinematics and gameplay...
Still, the game is probably more than a year off, so it should give NT ample time to fix these aspects.

It seems is going to play like the first one, I'm not mad about it but it seems some people are, lol.
The scenario looks real af, almost on par if not better than the reveal. But Senua's model doesn't look as good as it did on the reveal (that doesn't mean it looks bad). I just hope they don't do a The Order and make the game have the black bars during gameplay.

Neo_game

It looks great. But as other said there is not much gameplay. They did not mention on which platform it was running and no release date has me little skeptic though. But looks like this game will release in 2023 so this game might go many changes still.

Best looking game for the foreseeable future (2022, early 2023), easily.

At least, of what's been revealed so far ;)

Looks heavily downgraded. Guess its another Halo scenario where the prerendered reveal is miles ahead of the actual gameplay.
Quite disappointing to say the least.

yc8jeEI.png

0Ipcliy.png

I know right!? AUUGH, the NERVE of them!! It's not even the same character! Why, I bet you it's not even the same location, either!! The camera angles were even different, WTF!!!?

Looks good but not as good as the CG they showed before.

8vsLeQI.jpg

ZQ8yWvK.jpg

verqtav.png

dKjt0HV.png

cuv9qC2.jpg

Lg2rubC.png

tXVB16p.jpg

UMPT1Kc.png

NnxXuiM.jpg

c7Fxmev.jpg

bsJXn0j.jpg

hYIMklH.png

Man you guys are really insufferable sometimes, I swear :nougat_rofl:

Last edited:

rapid32.5

showing lots of gameplay now seems like Ninja Theory is confident in their schedule to deliver on time.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Other issues I have with the presentation: The subpar animations (running animations, but also facial expressions); The fire/flames; the janky transitions between cinematics and gameplay...
Still, the game is probably more than a year off, so it should give NT ample time to fix these aspects.
I happened to be impressed with said transitions. Different strokes for different folks.

I can't believe people can't tell that the running and the spear throws were gameplay. Didn't Want to come in here cause of the haters, but I'll just go ahead and say nothing looks better than this. Nothing!
It's REALLLLY hard for some people to admit if Xbox has the best-looking (revealed and/or released) games on the market or coming to market in the near-ish future, but that's also their problem to sort out.

Could things be improved to match some areas of the reveal trailer? Sure. But the level of nitpicking is just super-weird. TBF I said the same thing with people nitpicking the Horizon: Forbidden West gameplay footage, too. They were blowing up stuff like the "hero lighting" and pop-in and I'm just here thankfully not so much a jaded jackoff to actually let the visuals charm me and have some fun with them.

Crazy, I know. But that's what gaming was supposed to be about, last I remember.

oldergamer

Visuals look amazing in this reveal but Epic never confirmed that the first teaser was running in real-time, the facial downgrade in this one proves DF's suspicion that the first teaser for the game was in fact an in-engine pre-rendered cinematic (it was running at 24FPS which is literally the standard cinematic frame-rate).
Epic did confirm it, there is quote out there.

What look next gen about it?
Character models? No. Geometry? No. Effects like the fire? No. Physics? No advanced physics on display.

Your eyes must have primitive units built in them in order to tell the number of polygons in character models and background geomet--oh who am I kidding, you're talking out of your ass. Fart out more bad takes :pie_roffles:

None of those things looked off IMO, and I haven't even watched the 4K footage yet. I'll admit facial animations are less pronounced but that's about the most of it. Other stuff just comes off as nitpicking TBH.

In any case, of course the visuals will be polished up further as the game comes along, it is still at least a year out anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom