• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Skifi28

Any news about the PS5 version's performance? Seeing the PC specs, it should be able to do 60fps even at a lower resolution, but you never know.

Edit: I'm blind.

Last edited:
Nice, altho i hate the fact that every gaas game launching with barebones content even after 5-6 years of development
I feel like on this one, based on the gameplay I have seen it does not look to be barebones. Even mechs are coming back after launch at some point. There's already hints and talks on the discord that if the game is successful it might get 5 enemy factions compared to the first game's three (people been making guesses based on the map size)

It doesn't look barebones based on some of the gameplay I have seen and how reactive it is, plus they had to remake the game into a TPS which is a good choice because the first game had a lot of issues in terms of gameplay and camera. The first game was also a four player coop but with a shared camera and movement limitation.

-Bullets bounce off heavily armored enemies
- Enemies react to getting shot
-The dropship now has a gun and fires at enemies
- The team members can drop into different parts of the map, and no longer constrained by the top down view.
- All core features like jump diving, and assisted reloads are there.

Also note that the original Helldivers got a lot of support from the developers for a long time.
The two biggest gripes I had about the first are the following: compared to the second that it had actual situations of pay to win. People complain about the Warbonds stuff, but the first game had waaay too much weapons and tank dlc where if you didn't have them you'll end up with a disadvantage. They still might put certain strategems into the Bonds, but man the first game had more issues.

The top down view was bad, where the endgame basically devolved to, get a bunch of mechs and fire out of bounds so that the enemy cannot even get near you.

Things that might not be in the game for awhile :

City defense missions (these were in the first game, but probably won't be in the 2nd due to the way these existed )
Tanks - Mechs are in but no sign of tanks

Luipadre

I feel like on this one, based on the gameplay I have seen it does not look to be barebones. Even mechs are coming back after launch at some point. There's already hints and talks on the discord that if the game is successful it might get 5 enemy factions compared to the first game's three (people been making guesses based on the map size)

It doesn't look barebones based on some of the gameplay I have seen and how reactive it is, plus they had to remake the game into a TPS which is a good choice because the first game had a lot of issues in terms of gameplay and camera. The first game was also a four player coop but with a shared camera and movement limitation.

-Bullets bounce off heavily armored enemies
- Enemies react to getting shot
-The dropship now has a gun and fires at enemies
- The team members can drop into different parts of the map, and no longer constrained by the top down view.
- All core features like jump diving, and assisted reloads are there.

Also note that the original Helldivers got a lot of support from the developers for a long time.
The two biggest gripes I had about the first are the following: compared to the second that it had actual situations of pay to win. People complain about the Warbonds stuff, but the first game had waaay too much weapons and tank dlc where if you didn't have them you'll end up with a disadvantage. They still might put certain strategems into the Bonds, but man the first game had more issues.

The top down view was bad, where the endgame basically devolved to, get a bunch of mechs and fire out of bounds so that the enemy cannot even get near you.

Things that might not be in the game for awhile :

City defense missions (these were in the first game, but probably won't be in the 2nd due to the way these existed )
Tanks - Mechs are in but no sign of tanks

I dont even know how the monetization works, but i assume it wont be p2w as a sony title, maybe im wrong, but that would be really unfortunate. Paying for skins im okay with, but all of the other content should be free

Luipadre

I dont even know how the monetization works, but i assume it wont be p2w as a sony title, maybe im wrong, but that would be really unfortunate. Paying for skins im okay with, but all of the other content should be free

oof just saw the post about warbounds. That sounds... not good at all

GymWolf

If i can get all the weapons and some cosmetics in the base game i don't care if they sell more skins in the shop.

Just don't paywall weapons and gadgets or like OP armours.

hlm666

oof just saw the post about warbounds. That sounds... not good at all
You made me go find out wtf this warbond stuff is, there's a full written thing in the steam community for the game but here's the trailer. Looking at the subtitle around 20 seconds you need to buy ingame currency to buy the warbond? then also unlock it ingame. It's demoted to wait and see.

Luipadre

If i can get all the weapons and some cosmetics in the base game i don't care if they sell more skins in the shop.

Just don't paywall weapons and gadgets or like OP armours.

warbounds sounds exactly like that tho. Yes you still need to earn medals ingame to buy them but you can buy those credits for real money. You can earn them ingame too, but we all know how thats gonna end up... You probably have to play 50+ hours to get the same amount of credits as a 10 dollar purchase

cormack12

Gold Member
Warbonds are like battlepasses.
You buy warbond with SuperCredits.
SuperCredits can be found in maps and be bought with IRL money.
Once a warbond is bought. You will need to unlock the items it has using ingame currency called Medals.
Medals are earned by playing the game.

No Warbond will ever go away so you can buy and complete all of them in your own time.

However we have no idea how slow or fast you can earn SuperCredits so it might be so painfully slow that buying is the only real option if you wanna get warbonds.

And considering warbonds are not only cosmetics.. it could lead to some people feeling forced into buying warbonds if an items from it is just too good to pass up.

Killjoy-NL

warbounds sounds exactly like that tho. Yes you still need to earn medals ingame to buy them but you can buy those credits for real money. You can earn them ingame too, but we all know how thats gonna end up... You probably have to play 50+ hours to get the same amount of credits as a 10 dollar purchase
I'm okay with that. 50+ hours doesn't seem like much, tbh.
Not for a multiplayer game, as long as there is enough content and fun to be had.

drotahorror

That's better than the first game. It was straight up pay2win, cheap as fuck, but still.

Nice OT cormack12 cormack12

Already preordered on PC can't wait boys.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think the first game is really good and this is a great evolution into making it more in-depth while retaining the core elements of what made the first game really fun. I think people are sleeping on this and regardless of the first one being an isometric game, it held up and was really fun for what it was. This one just UPS the auntie and is a full third person shooter, sounds like the right evolution to me.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So it's Pay 2 Win now?

I mean unless it's some special cosmetic tab (this has been asked multiple times, never gets replied too...) then yes.

Of course someone will say "it's a coop game, it can't be pay 2 win" which as we all know is BS.

They also say they want to avoid FOMO with the Warbonds but then say they have a rotating store front with limited time offers for super coins. Why are they not clearing this up before launch? It's been commented on, its been asked, but they are radio silent, which makes me think it's a limited time store, which let's you buy items that give you a direct advantage ingame. Otherwise why not just say its not?

Last edited:
So the thing is that that armor sets now give set bonuses in Helldivers 2. So I notice they say "unique armor sets" for sale in the super store.

That means I assume they will also get unique bonuses, so yes potentially pay 2 win.

It's been confirmed to be purely cosmetics for those armored sets.

The developers have been really upfront that nothing is hidden behind a pay wall. No pay2win. You can grind and get all the gear you want. And I highly doubt HD2 will be predatory at launch. That would be suicidal for a game that wants to grow its userbase

And it's not PvP, which makes a big difference

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Here's what I don't get about the P2W-argument:

It's a PvE game, so what would be the problem?
Its still shitty practise.

I can ignore it tbh, like the individual armour sets for Diablo 4, but it's still going to be unique armours. If they have unique stratagems, even if they are cosmetic differences (like I dunno, different glowing flares or unique looking turrets) it's still not great.

This will all hinge on how hard it is to earn the warbonds. The devs say they are tied to PoI in the game. Not really sure what a PoI would be, how many there are and the reality of trying to acquire them in matchmade squads.

hlm666

Sony owns the rights to Starship Troopers, why not just do that instead of something inspired by it?
Didn't know that, I wonder what the starship trooper games on pc had to do to get the license? Extermination is made and published offworld studios and the rts one is made by the aristocrats and publsihed by slitherine. The rts is probably not a good fit for a console but extermination sure is.

drotahorror

It's been confirmed to be purely cosmetics for those armored sets.

The developers have been really upfront that nothing is hidden behind a pay wall. No pay2win. You can grind and get all the gear you want. And I highly doubt HD2 will be predatory at launch. That would be suicidal for a game that wants to grow its userbase

And it's not PvP, which makes a big difference

That's good to know!

Glad the regular edition I bought is fine. I really don't care about cosmetics, unless they show ass. I'm a simple man.

envyzeal

Looking good for Steam numbers (Global Sales)

b77KlPD.png

How about we settle down with the pay to win stuff. Until we play (less than 4 days away) we won't know for sure. But at the very least the warbonds don't have an expiry date so no FOMO, and you can earn the super credits required to unlock them in-game. And lastly, it's a PVE game so not like it gives you an advantage over another player like it would in PVP games.

Mortisfacio

I'm waiting. P2W will be a hard no for me, but a game that looks so similar to an already good game (Starship Troopers) I'm not day one on this. Will see how steam reviews pan out.

Luipadre

Reviews coming after launch for this? Not that it matters, all i needed was the uninterrupted preview footage

It looks pretty great, and I might pick it up even though I'd intended to start playing through all the Metal Gear games after I finish Suicide Squad.

Also, I'd love for the OP to make a "Denise Richards in the late 90s" OT.

stickkidsam

Sony owns the rights to Starship Troopers, why not just do that instead of something inspired by it?
Creations of inspiration aren’t limited by their muse.

Sure this game shares giant space bugs and gas fed DEMOCRACY, but it feels like it sets itself apart. The tech, terminator bots, and aesthetic of the game is something you wouldn’t be getting in a Starship Troopers game.

Plus I’m pretty sure Starship Troopers already got a game like this last year.

Top Bottom