• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |Beta Thread| The original assassin. [PS4+PC]

MUnited83

For you.
How do you even get up there without knockouts? There's like 3 different guards that see the scaffolding you climb on.

Timing! And only one of the guards is actually the issue( the one that patrols from the truck to the gate). The one right below the scaffolding only sees you if you skip the first window. If you wait for the window guard to exit, you can enter the window and the guy below will not be suspicious.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm watching my little brother play

He's doing some yacht mission.....but wtf

He's disguised as a crew member and can kill any of them in front of tourists. He wasn't even exposed until he finally shot somebody that wasn't hilighted yellow.....and then the sound when into an infinite loop glitch until he went to the dash.

Moff

so I take it you are no longer rated after a mission and "silent assassin" is simply one of the challenges?
not sure how I feel about that

apart from that, this feels like blood money. I actually think the idea of guards who recognize you is good, but I just wish they were not random guards but really people in superior positions and uniforms.

I am really looking forward to the first episode, I will surely keep playing the beta as well and finish some of the challenges.

I've pretty much exhausted everything that can be done in the beta and I have to say they've set up a pretty solid foundation for future content.

The one thing that really annoys me is the opportunity system and how signposted the kills are in general. Even the challenge system gives away pretty much everything you van do. I'm hoping his is just a tutorial thing (which would make sense) because otherwise they're kind of dismantling the best part of the series.

But I don't want to make too many assumptions based on a tutorial level and they've also made some really clever changes that make me think they know what they're doing

Moff

I really like the challenges and how they point out the possibilites in a level. I think it's something Absolution did well.
but I hope they are only visible after you cleared a level for the first time.

the guided opportunities should only be a tutorial feature, I agree on that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Goddamnit IO, the game is extremely easy, I mean, EXTREMELY. It's like a walk in the park now compared to Absolution which I will defend to the F death. Why IO? what have I done to deserve this? I've liked Absolution a lot and it is my favorite game in the series after Blood Money, but this... this is just a joke.

I RALLY hope the first huge location after prologue (which will be available March 11th) will be a lot more tougher and challenging, but if not... I won't be buying the full experience cuz this is not Hitman I known and lowed, it's just extremely easy version of if for those who has no brain and don't want to use it.

Vuze

Completed the rest of the beta content today and I enjoyed it. I actually thought the guided opportunity thing was pretty neat for more casual players like myself but it should definitely be an option. Apart from that, I agree that the AI is pretty borked (i.e. poisoning the glass of wine in front of like 30 people and the bartender and nobody gives a shit). I like the minimalistic style of the UI but with all the guided stuff I'd actually prefer to have an option to turn off the mini map (or UI customization in general). Also, performance is pretty shitty for what it offers visually as some other users and me pointed out before.

I hope the release build will address/offer this stuff.

MUnited83

For you.
Goddamnit IO, the game is extremely easy, I mean, EXTREMELY. It's like a walk in the park now compared to Absolution which I will defend to the F death. Why IO? what have I done to deserve this? I've liked Absolution a lot and it is my favorite game in the series after Blood Money, but this... this is just a joke.

I RALLY hope the first huge location after prologue (which will be available March 11th) will be a lot more tougher and challenging, but if not... I won't be buying the full experience cuz this is not Hitman I known and lowed, it's just extremely easy version of if for those who has no brain and don't want to use it.

? Blood Money was even easier, even at max difficulty (although to be fair I have over 200 hours on it so I already know every nook and cranny of it). Anyhow, I don't think it's fair to judge the difficulty of the game since the beta has no difficulty setting to choose from.
That, and, well, you know, it's a tutorial level and all that.

Completed the rest of the beta content today and I enjoyed it. I actually thought the guided opportunity thing was pretty neat for more casual players like myself but it should definitely be an option. Apart from that, I agree that the AI is pretty borked (i.e. poisoning the glass of wine in front of like 30 people and the bartender and nobody gives a shit). I like the minimalistic style of the UI but with all the guided stuff I'd actually prefer to have an option to turn off the mini map (or UI customization in general). Also, performance is pretty shitty for what it offers visually as some other users and me pointed out before.

I hope the release build will address/offer this stuff.
You can turn off the mini map.
What disguise did you use to poison the wine? If I do it in any other disguise than the crew staff one, people will become suspicious, and the bartender will try to stalk me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's a tutorial level, what did you expect?
Tutorial is only the first test mission, the last test mission is not - no one lead you to the end by hand, everything you do there is your own decisions.

I like some of the things for sure. For example now you can only be detected by select few NPCs who apparently knows the staff well (in Absolution you cab be detected by everyone in a blink of an eye), that is a lot more realistic. Coins now works well too (in Blood Money they were useless). But other than that... extremely easy and way to forgiving and it's not how this game should work in my opinion.

Hopefully the first location will be different.

? Blood Money was even easier, even at max difficulty.
I-i-i... don't know about that. Second mission was a pain in the ass for me back then.

MUnited83

For you.
Tutorial is only the first test mission, the last test mission is not - no one lead you to the end by hand, everything you do there is your own decisions.

I like some of the thing for sure. for example now you can only be detected by select few NPCs who apparently knows the staff well (in Absolution you cab be detected by everyone in a blink of an eye), that is a lot more realistic. Coins now works well too (in Blood Money they were useless). But other than that... extremely easy and way to forgiving and it's not how this game should work in my opinion.

Hopefully the first location will be different.

Final test mission is tutorial too (you can even check it's only marked as a tutorial and not free form in the selecting mission list). You can choose to do the mission your own way, yeah, but you can also follow the tutorial.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Final test mission is tutorial too (you can even check it's only marked as a tutorial and not free form in the selecting mission list). You can choose to do the mission your own way, yeah, but you can also follow the tutorial.
So does it even matter if this is a tutorial mission if you can approach it as you see fit? What's the difference here between tutorial and not tutorial mission? To be honest with you I don't see a huge difference.

MUnited83

For you.
So does it even matter if this is a tutorial mission if you can approach it as you see fit? What's the difference here between tutorial and not tutorial mission? To be honest with you I don't see a huge difference.

Well, both missions are clearly designed to make you take a feel to the game system's and start learning them. Even if you do it your own way, things are laid up in a way to make you learn what to do. I wouldn't take it as a indication of the challenge of the final thing, specially without a difficulty setting to compare( I'm guessing beta's difficulty is Normal, and there will probably be like three difficulty levels above that)

TheMoon

It's also strange how every action is mapped to its own key. Q, E, F, T, X, G, and B all preform different actions that would normally all be on a generic context sensitive button. While the lack of ambiguity is nice at times, it would be about impossible to play without the onscreen prompts.

You don't wanna know how often I've started strangling my target when I actually wanted to talk to it. :D ... in the heat of the moment, Q and G become hard to distinguish^^

Coins now works well too (in Blood Money they were useless).

Coins were definitely not useless in Blood Money :)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Coins were definitely not useless in Blood Money :)
They were, well, in my experience at least.

Well, both missions are clearly designed to make you take a feel to the game system's and start learning them.
So is it okay for you to for example poison a target in front of 20-30 people and get away with it? In which Hitman game before this one you can do the same thing (including tutorial levels)? Oh and let's not to forget that IO right from the start telling you what you can do to beat the mission and how to kill the target. Now what's the fun in that?

I am telling you, If all this (and many other streamlined things) will remain in the full game... this won't be Hitman anymore in my eyes. At least give us an option to turn all this shit off in options cuz it is really killing the game.

MUnited83

For you.
They were, well, in my experience at least.

So is it okay for you to for example poison a target in front of 20-30 people and get away with it? In which Hitman game before this one you can do the same thing (including tutorial levels)? Oh and let's not to forget that IO right from the start telling you what you can do to beat the mission and how to kill the target. Now what's the fun in that?

I am telling you, If all this (and many other streamlined things) will remain in the full game... this won't be Hitman anymore in my eyes. At least give us an option to turn all this shit off in options cuz it is really killing the game.
Again: tutorials. Of course they tell you what to do. They are tutorials, thats how they work. go play Blood Money tutorial level. Same thing.

You can't poison your target in front of 30 people. You can only do that with the right disguise. If you're against being able to do otherwise suspicious things when using the right disguise, Hitman is not the game you want. You can do things like that in Absolution and Blood Money too.
How in the hell is a member of the staff mixing drinks suspicious? Its their damn job.

Oh and let's not to forget that IO right from the start telling you what you can do to beat the mission and how to kill the target. Now what's the fun in that?
In the first tutorial mission of Blood Money, IO told you exactly what to do to beat the mission. Kill the scientist, hide the gun, push the guy, poison the drink, place the bomb, etc.

The fact that in this game, they let you play the tutorial mission again without handholding is a nice addition

Why complicate things

24854893310_a2f3510a86_o.gif

Profanity

I enjoyed the beta, but Jesus Christ, they really need to fix the AI. This shit is ridiculous:

https://youtu.be/zBPQiFeZ1zc

Sure, it's wonky, but the AI routine got there in the end - stopped blending in, people start getting suspicious, eventually lead to the cover being blown. When the video started I thought by doing the blending in action again people would instantly drop their suspicion, but they didn't. It took a little while, but the logic got there.

I wouldn't exactly call it 'ridiculous'.

Adry9

Why complicate things

24854893310_a2f3510a86_o.gif

lmao

I think one of the virtues of this game is that you can make it as hard as you want. Sure can do that but is it really satisfying? There'll always be an easy way for less skilled people, you can even go ahead and kill everyone, but the fun comes when you challange yourself and try to make a flawless assassination.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You can't poison your target in front of 30 people. You can only do that with the right disguise. If you're against being able to do otherwise suspicious things when using the right disguise, Hitman is not the game you want. You can do things like that in Absolution and Blood Money too.
It's... *sigh* clearly everyone seen how you mixed the drink with poison even if you were wearing a disguise, in the past games you have to do this when no one sees you or else they get suspicious (not to mention about worse things that can happen) but here you can do this in front of everyone and this is not right. It's not like you can kill a target using a gun or a knife for example in front of everybody, but poisoning a drink when a lot of people standing around you is kinda stupid for a man such as 47 don't you think?

BernardoOne said:
How in the hell is a member of the staff mixing drinks suspicious? Its their damn job.
Mixing a drink with a poison, yeah rigth, it''s their damn job))))))

MUnited83

For you.
It's... *sigh* clearly everyone seen how you mixed the drink with poison even if you were wearing a disguise, in the past games you have to do this when no one sees you or else they get suspicious (not to mention about worse things that can happen) but here you can do this in front of everyone and this is not right. It's not like you can kill a target using a gun or a knife for example in front of everybody, but poisoning a drink when a lot of people standing around you is kinda stupid for a man such as 47 don't you think?

Mixing a drink with a poison, yeah rigth, it''s their damn job))))))
Oh yes, I forgot that people can just look at someone mixing a drink and magically assume its poison! Makes perfect sense!

Lol, come on now, there's a lot you can complain about, but this is not it. Your complaint makes no sense at all.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You could spike a glass in Blood Money with aphrodisiac in front of the bartender and guests while no one battered an eye. ;p

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
In the first tutorial mission of Blood Money, IO told you exactly what to do to beat the mission. Kill the scientist, hide the gun, push the guy, poison the drink, place the bomb, etc.
But why they are telling us to improvise and then telling us exactly what to do? What's the point and where's logic in all that? It's just ruining the whole process. Hitman was always about figuring out what to do by yourself, but not about telling you what to do and then figuring out how to do things you've been told - this is not Hitman, well, it is, but highly simplified for... stupid or lazy people who can't do anything on their own.

The fact that in this game, they let you play the tutorial mission again without handholding is a nice addition
They telling you what to do right from the start, what's the point in even doing it? And what it is if not handholding?

Profanity

But why they are telling us to improvise and then telling us exactly what to do? What's the point and where's logic in all that? It's just ruining the whole process. Hitman was always about figuring out what to do by yourself, but not about telling you what to do and then figuring out how to do things you've been told - this is not Hitman, well, it is, but highly simplified for... stupid or lazy people who can't do anything on their own.

They telling you what to do right from the start, what's the point in even doing it? And what it is if not handholding?

How on earth are you not getting the fact that in order to let new players improvise at their own leisure, they need to be taught the mechanics of the game in a controlled environment first? That's like the entire point of a tutorial.

MUnited83

For you.

But you can do what you want, you can figure out things yourself.

Your complaints continue to make no sense man :/. You're complaining about disguises making sense and allowing to do you stuff, and you're complaining about a tutorial being a tutorial, and then you claim its always handholding even if you can do things your way and figure things your way if you chose to.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

It's a goddamn tutorial. Settle down.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
BernardoOne, SexyFish
But you're holding a rat poison in you hand while mixing a drink, what are the blind or something?)))))

I mean, okay, I guess 1 or 2 people can't notice, maybe, shit happens but everyone else? It's just stupid.

*sigh*

I know I'm nitpicking here too much, but damn, I'm trying to say by this is this whole thing must be more complicated than what we have now.

How on earth are you not getting the fact that in order to let new players improvise at their own leisure, they need to be taught the mechanics of the game in a controlled environment first? That's like the entire point of a tutorial.
I totally understand that, but instead of telling you exactly what to do, they should instead just give you some hints of what can be done and then let you improwise - that's the entire point of improvisation is it not? And you can't improvise if you know exactly what to do))))))))

Bah, okay guys, I won't say a single word about all this. I just hope the actual game won't be that easy as hell and stupid in some ways when it comes out.

MMaRsu

Banned
I was playing Blood Money yesterday, and I killed Vinnie in A New Life in a way I had never done before. I picked the lock in the garage of the vets house, and sniped him through the window from that small room back there. Hilarious, but also easy as hell. Hitman can be easy if you use the right tools but I always liked using poison needles or the fibre wire so I never even thought of sniping him.

I totally understand that, but instead of telling you exactly what to do, they should instead just give you some hints of what can be done and then let you improwise - that's the entire point of improvisation is it not? And you can't improvise if you know exactly what to do))))))))

The mission select has two versions of the yacht, and labels them guided and freeform.

Maybe you want the freeform instead of the guided tutorial that is made to show NEW PLAYERS what the game is like.

MUnited83

For you.
BernardoOne, SexyFish
But you're holding a rat poison in you hand while mixing a drink, what are the blind or something?)))))

I mean, okay, I guess 1 or 2 people can't notice, maybe, shit happens but everyone else? It's just stupid.

*sigh*

I know I'm nitpicking here too much, but damn, I'm trying to say by this is this whole thing must be more complicated than what we have now.

"Holding a rat poison" lol wut. You're not holding a huge container with a huge label saying "rat poison".

And once again , you can improvise. there's several ways to complete the missions that dont follow the tutorial

TheMoon

Your AI is buggy, too, Agent 4Seven, since you ended up quoting me but with the message content of someone else's post :D

Getting back to it: How do they know it's poison. I found it far harder to believe that NPCs in previous games would even notice that what you were doing with a drink when disguised properly was suspicious at all. In this specific scenario, you are waitstaff, though. There are two (?) drinks to poison in the vicinity of the mini bar. You're not holding a giant bag of rat poison over your head. I think it's possible to suspend one's disbelief and read the animation as strictly communicating to the player that the intended action is being performed and that actual Agent 47 is subtly slipping the poison into the drink while naturally tending to it according with normal staff behavior.

They're not telling you, they#re asking if you want to be told. Those guided steps that you can choose to follow are instructional elements of the tutorial mission you can choose to follow or completely ignore. All of this exists to introduce you to the multitude of possibilities.

You can press F1 or not press F1 and follow the steps without the UI markers or Diana's help.

I totally understand that, but instead of telling you exactly what to do, they should instead just give you some hints of what can be done and then let you improvise - that's the entire point of improvisation is it not? And you can't improvise if you know exactly what to do))))))))

And that is exactly what they're doing.

They do. Immediately after the guided tutorial, you play the same mission again without any handholding and can experiment and improvise as much as you want.

MUnited83

For you.
Wow, I love the exit! Did you decide to take a harder route out? I just retraced my steps back out the window, boring but effective. Also you don't need to coin the first guard, you can just slip by behind his back.

Back out the window doesn't work for me, Agent 47 automatically goes to the wrong side of the window, and to go to the right side you need to skip to the other side, and that will make the guard below automatically notice me. And yeah, I could not coin the first dude but I wanted to make sure the mechanics wouldn't notice me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
TheMoon, BernardoOne, More_Badass

I just wish all of this wasn't so simple. Absolution was extremely hard game on max difficulty level and not just because the disguise system was broken. In Absolution even a single mistake can ruin the whole thing for you, but when you flawlessly finished the mission you will feel yourself like a bad ass and some kind of fucking mastermind who just killed a target and removed all of the evidence from the entire level without even a single suspicion from anyone and without any help. But here and at least in tutorial it's... well, all of this is just completely lacking for me. I want this game to be much harder and I hope in the end it will be.

Peace.

MUnited83

For you.
Coin is so broken, and funny. You can make NPCs follow you like a dog and you're tossing out treats.

Anything throwable has been broken in the Hitman games for a while :p. From Blood Money's coin, Absolution's bottles and now coins again. Coins now are limited though so I think it's a little better balanced.

TheMoon, BernardoOne, More_Badass

I just wish all of this wasn't so simple. Absolution was extremely hard game on max difficulty level and not just because the disguise system was broken. In Absolution even a single mistake can ruin the whole thing for you, but when you flawlessly finished the mission you will feel yourself like a bad ass and some kind of fucking mastermind who just killed a target and removed all of the evidence from the entire level without even a single suspicion from anyone and without any help. But here and at least in tutorial it's... well, all of this is just completely lacking for me. I want this game to be much harder and I hope in the end it will be.

Peace.
Having completed Absolution at the max difficulty back on PS3: yeah, it's hard, but at that difficulty it's no longer a Hitman game at all. It's Splinter Cell, and I'd prefer for Hitman to be Hitman and Splinter Cell be Splinter Cell.

Top Bottom