• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |Beta Thread| The original assassin. [PS4+PC]

hichanbis

Banned
I really hope IO will allow us to do challenges offline.
I've played Hitman Blood Money at least once every 2 years since it released so I hope I'll be able to replay levels to finish challenges ten years from now. (That's why I'm not a fan of this game as a service model).

MMaRsu

Banned
I really hope IO will allow us to do challenges offline.
I've played Hitman Blood Money at least once every 2 years since it released so I hope I'll be able to replay levels to finish challenges ten years from now. (That's why I'm not a fan of this game as a service model).

U can play the beta offline too

MUnited83

For you.
The "trigger events only when close" can be pretty damn weird, I really hope they fix it or fine tune it at least. I was doing a SA SO run of the boat level, and I went and hide in the room the target goes at the end to use the computer. Using instinct I could watch the target and Norfolk doing all their usual routines without issues, up until the point that Norfolk and the target are supposed to meet. Norfolk would be standing just next to the target, and the target would be just pouring himself a drink over and over and over. I need to get out of the room and get closer to have it trigger. It's pretty weird because every other routine they had activated just fine, just not the part where they start talking and go away. They really need to fine tune this.

The "trigger events only when close" can be pretty damn weird, I really hope they fix it or fine tune it at least. I was doing a SA SO run of the boat level, and I went and hide in the room the target goes at the end to use the computer. Using instinct I could watch the target and Norfolk doing all their usual routines without issues, up until the point that Norfolk and the target are supposed to meet. Norfolk would be standing just next to the target, and the target would be just pouring himself a drink over and over and over. I need to get out of the room and get closer to have it trigger. It's pretty weird because every other routine they had activated just fine, just not the part where they start talking and go away. They really need to fine tune this.

This has been my biggest problem with the beta.

justjim89

Wow, this is probably the quickest turnaround Auzzie has had on a video in years. I was still waiting for the Absolution video he was promising at the end of December. Or more of his MGSV playthrough. Either way, this new Hitman seems much more ripe for his brand of comedy. Hopefully he keeps up a quick pace like this.

It's very fickle, which events require you to be closer and which don't. It seems like a lot of the scripted moments from the final test, like the toast or Knight going out to smoke, etc. don't require 47 to be very close. This seems to be the main complaint with a lot of people, so I'm sure IO is hearing about it. Whether not it's an easily administered change or not remains to be seen.

Pardon me for playing armchair game programmer, but it would seem like all you would have to do is adjust the number for how close 47 needs to be for the scripts to trigger to be a little further away. Hell, in a more moddable game (which Hitman has never been, unfortunately) that's the kind of setting you could tweak in an ini file.

Can you you even do the yacht mission suit only?

Had the same problem. I went to the trouble of sneaking on, setting an explosive near the computer, got off, stood by my car and the target never went to the room. Annoying.

MUnited83

For you.
This has been my biggest problem with the beta.
Yea. I mean, I get it not activating if I haven't boarded the boat, or even if im in the crew's quarters. But while im on the exact same floor, and inside the room where they are supposed to go? That doesn't make much sense
Wow, this is probably the quickest turnaround Auzzie has had on a video in years. I was still waiting for the Absolution video he was promising at the end of December. Or more of his MGSV playthrough. Either way, this new Hitman seems much more ripe for his brand of comedy. Hopefully he keeps up a quick pace like this.

It's very fickle, which events require you to be closer and which don't. It seems like a lot of the scripted moments from the final test, like the toast or Knight going out to smoke, etc. don't require 47 to be very close. This seems to be the main complaint with a lot of people, so I'm sure IO is hearing about it. Whether not it's an easily administered change or not remains to be seen.

Pardon me for playing armchair game programmer, but it would seem like all you would have to do is adjust the number for how close 47 needs to be for the scripts to trigger to be a little further away. Hell, in a more moddable game (which Hitman has never been, unfortunately) that's the kind of setting you could tweak in an ini file.

Can you you even do the yacht mission suit only?
I believe the toast can happen no matter what as long as you put the bottle there.
And yes, altering the distance where the scripts activate should be trivial.
Yacht mission is easily done suit only as well, only thing you need is the lockpick and one coin.(or even no coin at all)

Check my Yacht mission video. (I bait the stairs guard by running just right before climbing the scaffolding, but you can just use a coin to make him go out of the stairs anyway, baiting him with the sprint just makes it quicker)

justjim89

Yea. I mean, I get it not activating if I haven't boarded the boat, or even if im in the crew's quarters. But while im on the exact same floor, and inside the room where they are supposed to go? That doesn't make much sense

I believe the toast can happen no matter what as long as you put the bottle there.
And yes, altering the distance where the scripts activate should be trivial.
Yacht mission is easily done suit only as well, only thing you need is the lockpick and one coin.(or even no coin at all)

Check my Yacht mission video. (I bait the stairs guard by running just right before climbing the scaffolding, but you can just use a coin to make him go out of the stairs anyway, baiting him with the sprint just makes it quicker)

That's interesting. I tried a suit only run earlier and it wasn't nearly as clean, but it was more of an exploratory thing. I also didn't know that pistol shots could dislodge the raft, seems like stray bullets could end up being a useful tool in this game.

The release schedule being what it is will mean people will have complete mastery of one location at a time, then next month receiving a brand new challenge. That should be fun.

MUnited83

For you.
That's interesting. I tried a suit only run earlier and it wasn't nearly as clean, but it was more of an exploratory thing. I also didn't know that pistol shots could dislodge the raft, seems like stray bullets could end up being a useful tool in this game.

The release schedule being what it is will mean people will have complete mastery of one location at a time, then next month receiving a brand new challenge. That should be fun.

Using pistol shots is great, it works with the spotlights on the Final Test too, so you can kill Jasper Knight with a accident from far away.

Yeah, I remember in Absolution firing the silenced pistol at certain places to have guards check it out. Good tactic. I hope they keep it.

I noticed that after poisoning the boat target's drink he doesn't immediately react if you are close when he comes to speak to the woman (instead, he has a fairly long conversation with her before he finally succumbs to the sickness). But if you poison it and then leave out of sight he goes to speak to the lady and like a few seconds later is running to the bathroom (which fucked me because I thought I had a lot more time). They need to stop with the scripting crap because it will hurt when trying to time your assassinations.

TheMoon

I get the sense that proximity triggers are specifically made for events that would narratively only occur once whereas non-narrative events are infinitely repeatable such as people going somewhere for a smoke or dude pouring himself a drink at the party. Norfolk and target dude talking and going to his cabin every five minutes on a loop would be pretty odd.

Though of course you could argue that the event could occur simple once and not repeat so players who miss the window are out of luck and have to solve it another way. Maybe it was setup this way on purpose for the tutorial prologue. Who knows.

NoPiece

Thanks! I was able to install, and get into the single player by going offline. Playing around on the Yacht now, looks and feels great so far.

MUnited83

For you.
Sorry for double posting:

IO Interactive has started to send surveys about the game to people who played the Beta. Check your email inbox. It's pretty lenghty and detailed.

pahamrick

Sorry for double posting:

IO Interactive has started to send surveys about the game to people who played the Beta. Check your email inbox. It's pretty lenghty and detailed.

Yeah, just finished filling it out. Nice that they're going to be selecting people who completed the survey at random and sending them Hitman hoodies and t-shirts.

CREMSteve

Beta will be available for everyone with PS+ on March 4th.
Just downloaded it because of this, was a nice surprise when I visited the store.

The beta is lots of fun, love the variety. Lots of bugs though, especially when hiding in a box or hiding behind cover. The AI seems to get stuck waiting just on the other side, and won't move.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
you can download the Paris mission on the xbox (it's a separate addon) but it won't start until Friday. Are you sure it's not just that?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Good thing I saw this, thougth the game was out next week not Friday. I'll have the OT up in time.

Rudiano

Banned
So Ive just started playing the full game and the frame rate on the PS4 is better compared to the beta, in the beta it was very laggy in the crowded area on the boat when you moved the camera about, but in the full game its much more smoother, not full 60fps but very good. The game is still also using an unlocked frame rate
edit: you can lock/unlock the frame rate from the options, dont know if that was in the beta

Karak

Finished up for my review of this first package. Embargoed until tomorrow but I was surprised my savegame from the beta didn't work for this. Weird

Luq

Finished up for my review of this first package. Embargoed until tomorrow but I was surprised my savegame from the beta didn't work for this. Weird

Same here.

Finishing prologue doesn't take too much time tough.

Can confirm there is an option to unlock framerates on PS4.

MaKTaiL

99% of the Betas ever made don't allow you to carry over progress to the full game. You look like someone who often review games so you shouldn't be surpised by this.

Karak

Same here.

Finishing prologue doesn't take too much time tough.

Can confirm there is an option to unlock framerates on PS4.

Ya its weird. Have never run into that. Tons of betas and never had that happen especially like this. Progress maybe but didn't have this before No biggy though. FPS on PS4 suffers regardless sadly but locked is SO much better

Oh also you dont need to do the prologue anyway. It lets you skip it but there are some missing challanges if you do

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So Ive just started playing the full game and the frame rate on the PS4 is better compared to the beta, in the beta it was very laggy in the crowded area on the boat when you moved the camera about, but in the full game its much more smoother, not full 60fps but very good. The game is still also using an unlocked frame rate
edit: you can lock/unlock the frame rate from the options, dont know if that was in the beta

Nice! Any other non-spoilery impressions?

Top Bottom