• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

REEEEE thread about JK Rowling is now panic locked for another dissident purge, again.

You love to see it.

image.png
The funniest shit, they're in full blown panic banning people for bringing it up but not all of them, showing the special class of users on there very well 😂

TVexperto

The funniest shit, they're in full blown panic banning people for bringing it up but not all of them, showing the special class of users on there very well 😂
Kyiuuuu should have been banned years ago asking for a free copy of cyberpunk to check for transphobia and then continuing to play every patch and being most active in the OT after banning the original OT creator

laynelane

Just a reminder that gender ideology was started by John Money. Whose "research" was an excuse to sexual abuse twin boys.

I read the book about the twins. Money did irreparable harm to both of them and both ended up committing suicide. The boy he tried to make into a girl never accepted being a girl, even as a child. He hated wearing dresses and things like that. It was a really awful and sad story.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was gonna order this, but then I read that every door in Hogwarts has a loading screen, even on PS5. Small thing, but the world not actually being fully seamless is a big deal for immersion IMO. Very disappointing in 2023.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I try to avoid the trans talk orbiting this game. For one, gender dysphoria sounds awful and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Casual joking about it feels disrespectful to me - not maligning anyone else, I understand that jokes are merely jokes, just saying - my opinion.

So to be discussing it in the realm of something as frivolous as video games feels a bit detached. Besides, if you actually play the game you'll see that none of these real world dramatics are present here. So to those from ResetEra inevitably reading these threads: you're roleplaying a kid becoming a wizard. That's all. There is no bigotry, no agenda. It is a game primarily made for children and their parents who came of age in the 2000's and read the books.

I hope you stick around and realize your current haunt is a sad authoritarian example of what can happen when well intentioned people never do self reflection or admit guilt. You arrive at a point where merely mentioning a harmless video game is means for banishment from the tribe.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You read wrong. The game loads assets while you are opening some doors but there is never a loading screen.

I didn't, IGN's review literally says there are loading screens. But yeah, their video review shows it's rather a short Metroid Prime-like delay before the door actually opens. Still a bit annoying that they couldn't handle this better on the new consoles, but much better than actual loading screens.

ANIMAL1975

rAk7JDw.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Hogwarts Legacy
Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (April 4, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Xbox One (April 4, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (July 25, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Avalanche Software
Publisher: Warner Bros. Games
Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 89% recommended - 29 reviews

bIBo1tP.jpg

MetaCritic (PS5) - 86 average - 42 reviews

bxZPvDL.jpg

MetaCritic (XSX) - 89 average - 13 reviews

5nlrBiG.jpg

MetaCritic (PC) - 83 average - 8 reviews

EiY1ral.jpg

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 78 / 100

Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - 4.5 / 5

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Recommended

FingerGuns - Kat Bullock - 9 / 10

GGRecon - Ben Williams - 4 / 5

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 4.5 / 5

GamesRadar+ - Josh West - 3.5 / 5

GamingTrend - Ron Burke - Unscored

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 9 / 10

IGN - Travis Northup - 9 / 10

Impulsegamer - Andrew Paul - 4.5 / 5

Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 8 / 10

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy

PCGamesN - Ford James - 7 / 10

PlayStation Universe - Michael Harradence - 9.5 / 10

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10

Screen Rant - William Cennamo - 4.5 / 5

Stevivor - Ben Salter - 8 / 10

Tom's Guide - Rory Mellon - 4 / 5

Tom's Hardware Italia - Giulia Serena - Italian - 8 / 10

TrueGaming - حسين الموسى - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 4 / 5

WellPlayed - Ash Wayling - 9 / 10

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 88%

XboxEra - Győző Baki - 9 / 10
Fantastic Avalanche

Now someone give this guys Dragon Ball asap, as in right funking now!

DareDaniel

Banned
Oh god no! Not drag queens near children!

Calm the fuck down, boyo. Drag queens are fine. Very different culture and outlook from the kinds of people who we're dragging in this thread.
Oversexualized parodies of women introducing children in kindergartens to the most fucked up woke ideologies to affirm adults' feelings. This shit only happens in the so called developed countries.
Enlighten me on how these adults who are clearly sick in the head and eager to spread their sickness is going to help kids who should be taught reading, math, art, geography and the like without the political-agenda business.

sinnergy

I was gonna order this, but then I read that every door in Hogwarts has a loading screen, even on PS5. Small thing, but the world not actually being fully seamless is a big deal for immersion IMO. Very disappointing in 2023.
Poor boy , imagine you lived when Ps1 came out 🤣🤡 if a game had a small amount of loading like in this age .. but it fits right into the complain mentality that has overtaken the world .

Last edited:

Eotheod

You're not getting it. A WOMAN is a HUMAN FEMALE. Just like a Hen is a female chicken and a Rooster is a male chicken.

What you are describing is masculine vs Feminine. You can be a feminine man\male or a masculine woman\female. Literally noone cares about this. Male rockstars have been wearing makeup and dresses for ages now. Tom boys and masculine women have always been around.

But just because someone is feminine and has surgery does not make them a woman. That makes them a Transwoman. Which is not a bad thing but there has to be differentiation.

Not everyone agrees with this. I've done a deep dive on it, and the best description I got is sex is the "hardware" and gender is the "software." But there is an evolutionary and biological component to both. And there are tendencies unique to men and women that don't have anything to do with a social construct.

For example, women are generally more agreeable than men. Men are more aggressive. Women are more sensitive and compassionate. Women have higher standard than men in searching for a mate. People will argue things like how men and women dress, their hobbies/activities are things that they just do because "that's how society trained us to behave" but that really isn't the case. Most of it can be traced back to biological and evolutionary growth.

society changes, language changes. but facts don't...

facts aren't 'stuck in one gear or defined by one particular'. facts are simply facts. 1+1=2, & the sun rising in the east & setting in the west, were as true in the stone age as they are now. what you & others now refer to as gender identity/fluidity (terminology coined by a psychologist in the '60's), had been recognized & referred to previously (& still is, by many of us) as masculinity/femininity, & neither has anything to do with altering the fact that, biologically, men are men, & women are women...

No its not. Gender identity is absolutely driven by biology. Dont confuse gender identity with gender expression (like clothes). Scientists and sexologists that arent driven by ideology or forced to be quiet about it, know this.

Also who cares what an asinine term like "gender" which was invented by a pedo sympathizer? It should hold no value over biological sex, and these TRA's are desperately trying to destroy both.

Do you all seriously go froth mouthed at the mention of discussion on gender identities and social understandings? Social science isn't actually all beating your head about what you should conform to.

Literally read the study I linked in my first post. It very clearly defines that sex is a biological makeup that defines are physical, mental and biological attributes. There is no arguing that, no one can because that is literally your chromosome makeup. Gender however is 100% fluid and a social understanding of what a "man" is and what a "woman" is. There is nothing wrong with that.

Just, please actually educate yourselves on these bloody topics instead of taking frothy headliners as gospel. I'm incredibly grateful that places like GAF even exist because they are inherently inclusive because they allow all to express. Obviously extreme viewsets aren't conducive to actual discussions that move the needle because they just circle jerk, but thank fuck for discussion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Poor boy , imagine you lived when Ps1 came out 🤣🤡 if a game had a small amount of loading like in this age .. but it fits right into the complain mentality that has overtaken the world .

I was very much alive and kicking back then, but I played on N64, and then GameCube, where load times barely existed. The first time I was really hit with them was on the PS3.

On PS5 they shouldn't exist to any noticeable degree (was a rather annoying thing to me in GOWR, which was clearly a PS5 port of a PS4 game).

Last edited:
Oversexualized parodies of women introducing children in kindergartens to the most fucked up woke ideologies to affirm adults' feelings. This shit only happens in the so called developed countries.
Enlighten me on how these adults who are clearly sick in the head and eager to spread their sickness is going to help kids who should be taught reading, math, art, geography and the like without the political-agenda business.
Spread their sickness?
Like, im the furthest thing from a GRA lefty, but you’re being as ridiculous as they are.

It’s so nice we can come in here and just… talk about the *review of the game*

Thanks, guys! 🤦‍♂️

Glad it’s reviewing well. Any word on if you can save past the point of no return? Like, does the game know if you beat the game or not? Like TTYD

Last edited:
Do you all seriously go froth mouthed at the mention of discussion on gender identities and social understandings? Social science isn't actually all beating your head about what you should conform to.

Literally read the study I linked in my first post. It very clearly defines that sex is a biological makeup that defines are physical, mental and biological attributes. There is no arguing that, no one can because that is literally your chromosome makeup. Gender however is 100% fluid and a social understanding of what a "man" is and what a "woman" is. There is nothing wrong with that.

Just, please actually educate yourselves on these bloody topics instead of taking frothy headliners as gospel. I'm incredibly grateful that places like GAF even exist because they are inherently inclusive because they allow all to express. Obviously extreme viewsets aren't conducive to actual discussions that move the needle because they just circle jerk, but thank fuck for discussion.
We’ve educated ourselves. In fact my wife is a Psychologist. You’re being foolish if you think this stuff is widely believed. The problem is, they are bound by law to affirm this nonsense because it’s “less harmful to their mental health”.
The idea that trans women are women is absurd to everyone except activists, and most psychologists and psychiatrists understand that it’s a severe mental illness.

That said, it doesn’t mean they deserve hate or derision, and it definitely doesn’t mean they are “grooming” kids, thats the nutso’s on the right being as crazy as the nutsos on the left.

Cuz see, that’s the thing, those of us in the center know you’re all crazy, and we’re fed up with this nonsense from both sides.

I dare say I am eating from both sides regarding discussing games on both here and Era.

I do absolutely loathe the fact that the moderation on the latter is clearly advocating their own opinion without being able to form a healthy discussion.

They did the same thing with Cyberpunk 2077 in regards to CDPR and now they are boycotting Hogwarts Legacy to the point where we can not discuss the game.
Portkey Games and Avalanche are being punished for creating a game about a universe that is widely loved by millions of people across the globe.
Gamespot refusing to write a review. Polygon not taking a stance. IGN afraid to publish their stuff.

The developer has done everything in their might to create a game to cater both sides of the argument surrounding trans people.

Last edited:
I dare say I am eating from both sides regarding discussing games on both here and Era.

I do absolutely loathe the fact that the moderation on the latter is clearly advocating their own opinion without being able to form a healthy discussion.

They did the same thing with Cyberpunk 2077 in regards to CDPR and now they are boycotting Hogwarts Legacy to the point where we can not discuss the game.
Portkey Games and Avalanche are being punished for creating a game about a universe that is widely loved by millions of people across the globe.
Gamespot refusing the write a review. Polygon not taking a stance. IGN afraid to publish their stuff.

The developer has done everything in their might to create a game to cater both sides of the argument surrounding trans people.
Are you really discussing games over there? Or are you walking on eggshells and offering pre-approved opinions?

I mean, the place is incredibly toxic, while pretending the rest of the world is the problem.

Eotheod

We’ve educated ourselves. In fact my wife is a Psychologist. You’re being foolish if you think this stuff is widely believed. The problem is, they are bound by law to affirm this nonsense because it’s “less harmful to their mental health”.
The idea that trans women are women is absurd to everyone except activists, and most psychologists and psychiatrists understand that it’s a severe mental illness.

That said, it doesn’t mean they deserve hate or derision, and it definitely doesn’t mean they are “grooming” kids, thats the nutso’s on the right being as crazy as the nutsos on the left.

Cuz see, that’s the thing, those of us in the center know you’re all crazy, and we’re fed up with this nonsense from both sides.
It's not foolish, it's literally social science and in general social/human development. I 100% agree on the stance that a centrist viewset is the best action, but obviously that isn't guaranteed because everyone has a base of development that creates their persona.

Just, let people be people and also let people enjoy bloody video games. World is gonna blow up anyway, may as well shoot magic out of my wand.

Gamespot refusing the write a review. Polygon not taking a stance. IGN afraid to publish their stuff.

It's a real test of the strength of the whole TRA movement. Up till now there has always been the suspicion that it is not very many people shouting very loudly. The very-online, twitter and forum gaming community, including the press appears to be disproportionately filled up with trans people and other people who take a very hard line on trans issues wrt trans women being women indivisible. So there was always going to be more fuss than there was surrounding the other aspects of the Potter franchise e.g. the play, the theme parks and attractions, the Fantastic Beasts films etc.

But what is unknown is how much cut-through do these views have with the much wider population of people who might be interested in this game. Less online gamers and Potter fans - will they be persuaded and join the boycott or will they choose to walk past the virtual picket and buy the game anyway? Will they even notice the picket?

By setting this up as a 'with us or against us' line-in-the-sand, the extreme trans lobby have employed a risky strategy and the perceived quality of the game absolutely does not help them. If the game hits big, it's going to be bad time for them. It will be a defeat. The probably should have chosen their battle a little more wisely but time will tell.

Last edited:
Are you really discussing games over there? Or are you walking on eggshells and offering pre-approved opinions?

I mean, the place is incredibly toxic, while pretending the rest of the world is the problem.

I have come to realize the older I get that no one place is perfect.

As far as I can remember Era was never such a place in the beginning where opinions on wildly discussed subjects in the world became a bannable offense. Something just changed in the last year or maybe two.

The moderation has become quite severe in taking a stance while I wholeheartedly believe that forums like these are the perfect forms of communication in being able to discuss about sensitive political discussions.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nice scores. My thoughts:

Glad it’s scoring well. That other place is run by Nazis. Banning anyone who simply mentions the game like small children. How about have constructive discussions like adults. If you want to see change and inclusion… discussion is necessary

On principle though I’m not buying it. Graphics look cross gen as fuck and I see no boundaries being pushed. You want my $100 bucks from now on then push visuals, combat, and be an actual next gen experience. It’s 2023. Not supporting cross gen trash anymore. Decision was much easier since I don’t give a damn about Harry Potter, or open worlds anymore really. Aside from a select few studios.

Last edited:
Most Nintendo games didn't. And in general load times were shorter than on PS2.
It was partially due to the GCN disc being proprietary, rather than standard DVD format. Nintendo also put a lot of work into reducing load times. My favorite example is Retro Studios hiding loading behind a door, and some doors to a new area would just take 2-3 seconds to open. Load times on GameCube in general were so short, that most games didn't need load screens. Particularly with Nintendo-made titles, I don't think they used load screens at all in the GameCube generation. TTYD just put up a curtain on the screen, and it would be like 2 seconds. Or you'd go into a warp pipe, and there'd be a fun 2-3 second animation hiding the loading.

Last edited:

anothertech

It's actually not a crazy myth.

My media company has been hired by a third party that represents hundreds of families in Colorado and California to create an documentary showcasing the reality of the grooming. There are several class action lawsuits filed against the counties and school districts that are allowing it to happen.

Grooming of children as young as second and third grade or younger is a reality that many communities are fostering without parental consent. There is a real agenda out there.

Just one example, a group of five to seven year olds were told to join an after school art club. On the first day of this club they created and painted rainbow posters and pins for a parade. Then a specialist was brought in and began to show the kids diagrams of anatomy and pictures describing sexual oriented positions.

The kids were asked if they were confused about sex. Every child was confused. They were then told that was because they were gay and their parents didn't want them to know. After the session, the kids were told directly their parents were not to be trusted, and to never discuss these things with them. Only a specialist could talk to them about it.

This club went on for several weeks until a seven year old girl broke down in front of her parents and told them everything. They confronted the school but the school district defended the club and those involved.

Every student in that club were removed from the school by their families. The school district then reported all of the families to CPS, several of the children were removed from their parents for some time.

100% of the children in that club suffer from depression and PTSD years later. Some still won't talk to their parents about it.

This is the fucking bullshit some kids and their families are experiencing, and why in some cases there are such hostile feelings towards the movement.

Has anyone heard much about the post-game? Like is there a lot to do after the main story is over, does it unlock new stuff, or is it just mopping up sidequests and puzzles? Is there a point of no return before the final boss, or can you save after you beat the game, and the characters like know you beat the game? Like in TTYD?

Cannot wait to pick up my copy after work today. I'm pleasantly surprised these reviews are so positive. I was not expecting to see many 9s

Fuz

Banned
Their Twitter thread about it is pretty rough too. They didn’t pay for the game (got a code from WB) and they’re donating to an LGBT charity. Still not good enough.
Modern day blackmailing.

Really stupid to enable those assholes. And it will never be enough.

This is obviously conversation for a different thread, since, you know, this is a review thread. But since you've posted it here, content moderators don't get to pick specific advertisements. Obviously. So maybe it's ironic, but it's not really something in their control. The company who owns Resetera, and lots of other sites, manages the business side of the ads. So it's really a nothing burger, to be fair.

Last edited:
This is obviously conversation for a different thread, since, you know, this is a review thread. But since you've posted it here, content moderators don't get to pick the specific advertisements. Obviously. So maybe it's ironic, but it's not really something in their control. The company who owns Resetera, and lots of other sites, determines who runs the ads. So it's really a nothing burger, to be fair.
Also it's more likely that the ad is personalized to whoever took the screenshot. They must have been searching for it and reading articles on it or watching YouTube videos lol. If you want to play this game you can't go to Resetera to talk about it.

Topher

Gold Member
This is obviously conversation for a different thread, since, you know, this is a review thread. But since you've posted it here, content moderators don't get to pick specific advertisements. Obviously. So maybe it's ironic, but it's not really something in their control. The company who owns Resetera, and lots of other sites, manages the business side of the ads. So it's really a nothing burger, to be fair.

It's just funny as hell really.

Draugoth

Gold Member

They also didnt ban people with verified accounts (journalists etc) that were talking about playing the game...

i dont think you can use a vpn to trick steam?

It's baneable on Steam, so better not to try it.

Btw, i decided to cancel my pre order for the deluxe edition and get the standard version for 12% off

Last edited:
Top Bottom