• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

Kenpachii

Watched the video

Nice video in general.

Honestly no clue why they didn't opt for RT reflections or any RT for that matter. It would be a huge boon to the game quality when it gets ported to PC instead of still being stuck with the ancient lightning system that breaks the moment u don't directly look at it, its just ugly while better systems are in place these days. with the PS5 hardware it should have easily be possible when u realize the game is built for last gen.

Also the fog and lightning are way way way to much in this game, it kills all detail in the world everywhere and it starts way to close to the character, its distracting as hell.

credit to @benzy

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0020.jpg

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0014.jpg

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0008.jpg

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0006.jpg

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0012.jpg

Yea this obliterates the first Horizon in the visuals department.

The first and last screenshot looks a lot better then what DF showcased.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

It's as if - and this can sound insane, but bear with me - Sony's internal studios still target Playstation as their primary platform, with the PC port being more of an afterthought?

It's a wild theory, I know.

Like i said, we got a PS5 here with a game designed for the PS4. They have enough headroom to push visuals forwards. RT shouldn't be a issue when u consider the game is built for ancient hardware specially when u also target 30 fps on the PS5. The CPU and GPU are beyond more capable.

Last edited:

Markio128

Like i said, we got a PS5 here with a game designed for the PS4. They have enough headroom to push visuals forwards. RT shouldn't be a issue when u consider the game is built for ancient hardware specially when u also target 30 fps on the PS5. The CPU and GPU are beyond more capable.
Well, I for one am eagerly awaiting your game that looks better than HFW on PS5 with added RT.

Ozriel

M$FT

The PS5 version is built for the PS5. You can’t hit 4K 30fps with meaningful RT. There’s no indication that there’s tons of headroom just floating around.

Fredrik

This one is gameplay btw. Credit to imapioneer from the other side.

FLiy9lEX0AA3l2O

Score one for rim lighting. This level of detail and character lighting during gameplay is a step up not only from the first game but other games as well.
Odd expression for gameplay, is she gloating after a successful finisher move?
Textures and the fuzzy hair looks amazing though, light shining through the ears is top notch too, we’ve come a long way since the early 8-bit days that’s for sure!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What an absolutely incredible looking game. Holy shit this video does a great job of highlighting it.

I don’t want to, but I might have to give resolution mode a try when I get it. I’m kinda surprised by the large hit the performance mode takes. Wonder if there isn’t a better way they could have handled it :/

Kenpachii

The PS5 version is built for the PS5. You can’t hit 4K 30fps with meaningful RT. There’s no indication that there’s tons of headroom just floating around.

They could introduce a mode that lowers the resolution and pushes the visuals forwards. Or just more modes in general. Like a normal and rt mode. However it probably gets confusing then for most people so its understandable. I would just have made different choices.

Remember when i said the hero lighting had been drastically reduced and a bunch of fans came out against me?
Its confirmed here which is not surprising because any human being with two working eyes could easily see the difference.

Its simply amazing how people can't or blantly REFUSE to see things so obvious.
Its like they argue 1+1 isn't 2. Its simply astonishing.

I don't see it what about the light is "pulled back" what does pullback really mean here?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What an absolutely incredible looking game. Holy shit this video does a great job of highlighting it.

I don’t want to, but I might have to give resolution mode a try when I get it. I’m kinda surprised by the large hit the performance mode takes. Wonder if there isn’t a better way they could have handled it :/

Well you can switch between the 2 modes any moment.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Can't watch the video at work.

What kinda hits we talking in performance mode?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

whats annoying is it doesn’t look like a hit to any form of the settings, but something that the checkerboard is doing is really making the foliage and mid screen details look blurry and fuzzy in a way.

the game looks absolutely effing incredible but the performance mode is deffo taking a hit and I’m going to have to try them both when I get it, or wait for the pc version.

Hunnybun

It's a bit annoying how little they showed of the 60fps mode. The few clips looked fine to me, except where they actually zoomed in to highlight the differences, but how much you can take from that who knows.

Has anyone found any high quality performance mode footage yet? Because I'm not sure if I want to buy this if it looks bad at 60.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
whats annoying is it doesn’t look like a hit to any form of the settings, but something that the checkerboard is doing is really making the foliage and mid screen details look blurry and fuzzy in a way.

the game looks absolutely effing incredible but the performance mode is deffo taking a hit and I’m going to have to try them both when I get it, or wait for the pc version.
My mistake. I thought you meant hit to performance.

Checker boarding usually makes things a bit fuzzy in the finer details so that's expected.

Mahavastu

They could introduce a mode that lowers the resolution and pushes the visuals forwards. Or just more modes in general. Like a normal and rt mode. However it probably gets confusing then for most people so its understandable. I would just have made different choices.
tbh the game looks just great as it is.
Just add something to check a checkbox makes no real sense.

In most games RT does not really deliver enough to justify the huge hit in performance.

Karak

This is true yes. It is a softer look using both TAA and FXAA. But all modes use dynamic res.
At least according to Sony when I was having issues with counts being all over the place.

ethomaz

Banned

To put in explain a bit…
Performance mode has all features that Graphic mode but all turned down. While it is not missing anything (like the PS4 versions) it doesn’t have an impressive presentation.

It is funny because last week I was talking about the subject… and this game is a clear example:

30fps = a full generation jump
60fps = an enhanced last generation mode

That is it.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It's pretty sad we are not even out of cross-gen games yet and we are already seeing major sacrifices to get to 60 fps. Doesn't bode well for when they push these systems to their absolute peak.

Filben

Lighting and shaders and (ground) foliage are way ahead on PS5. We also get finally proper anisotropic filtering. FINALLY!

Anyways, won't be playing that on a PS5 and probably have to wait three years for the PC port.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's pretty sad we are not even out of cross-gen games yet and we are already seeing major sacrifices to get to 60 fps. Doesn't bode well for when they push these systems to their absolute peak.
Think about it this way 33ms is twice as much time to render as 16ms. This difference will always exist to the end of time, you will always need to make sacrifices to do something with half the time 30fps affords you.

I haven't seen this game running in person yet, and may actually never lol, but even just seeing it running on YouTube... was something. It looked fantastic. I think sometimes ppl get too caught up in "what resolution is it?" "Is this next-gen only?" and forget to use their eyes! The term "cross-gen" gets so ingrained in some ppls heads that it makes it impossible to see, like that word overrides what their eyes tell them.

EDIT: I guess they fixed the "foliage doesn't react... cause cross-gen" issue. Also, I love all the armchair game developing happening... unless you were part of the team or a team that has built a game, please stop. You don't know how difficult it could be to add this or that, you just don't. You have the most basic understanding of one portion of game design with no understanding of how it interacts with the rest of a very complex process. You can ABSOLUTELY be disappointed, but don't speak on the ease or simplicity of something you don't really understand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom