• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

Mr Moose

She’s so hairy, like an Ewok…. That said, looks amazing!
ead3769aa5276ac7081b9cebaf2bbe11.gif

Tripolygon

Banned
It's why these systems need a native DLSS-type solution from the jump. This is only going to get worse as we get into this gen.
Yup. I've always been a fan of reconstruction techniques and DLSS is very impressive. I hope we get a mid-gen upgrade that introduces an NPU in the SoC for NN acceleration without relying on the main GPU.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
To put in explain a bit…
Performance mode has all features that Graphic mode but all turned down. While it is not missing anything (like the PS4 versions) it doesn’t have an impressive presentation.

It is funny because last week I was talking about the subject… and this game is a clear example:

30fps = a full generation jump
60fps = an enhanced last generation mode

That is it.
I thought the poster was talking about frame rate. Thanks for the info.

scydrex

To put in explain a bit…
Performance mode has all features that Graphic mode but all turned down. While it is not missing anything (like the PS4 versions) it doesn’t have an impressive presentation.

It is funny because last week I was talking about the subject… and this game is a clear example:

30fps = a full generation jump
60fps = an enhanced last generation mode

That is it.

What about if they release like Rachet a 40fps/120hz mode? Could it reach that? Will watch the video now.

Probably unpopular opinion, but Guerilla did the right thing avoiding RT.
Or you do the game with RT in mind or you don't. If you try to do both you'll end with an uglier game. See DL2, the game is pretty with all the RT effects, but ugly without them because the developers can't do the best with booth at the same time. Guerrilla would probably have to remove some traditional rendering detail to open space to the RT that would end making the non RT modes and the PS4 version uglier.

It was best to same it for a future PS5 only game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Can't watch the video at work.

What kinda hits we talking in performance mode?
Its just not as pretty as 30fps overall, DF played mostly in 30fps - If you want the game to look mindblowing then 4K30 is the way to go.

However, curiously, similar to Forza Horizon 5, the choice between gaming at 30fps and 60fps may not be as straightforward as it sounds. While 60fps may seem like the obvious choice bearing in mind the 2160p vs 1800p checkerboard difference, it's actually the case that the graphical quality is far richer in the 30fps mode as a result of this clarity. Both myself and Rich Leadbetter (who also played the game) opted to play at 30fps. Double the frame-rate is nice, but you're missing out on a decently-sized chunk of the next-gen (current-gen?) experience. Whichever way you choose to play, however, we highly recommend that you buy this game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS4 Pro version represent.

Looks like a more colorful version of the original, which is A-OK by me. The important thing is it's also feature/content complete and isn't being gimped in any other way, be it rumored flying mounts and whatnot.

iHaunter

It's pretty sad we are not even out of cross-gen games yet and we are already seeing major sacrifices to get to 60 fps. Doesn't bode well for when they push these systems to their absolute peak.
I'm 100% fine for 1440/60 for this level of fidelity on a $500 device (Can get a PS5 Digital for $400). Still unheard of. We probably won't see 4k/60 at this fidelity til PS5 Pro.

Sygma

It's why these systems need a native DLSS-type solution from the jump. This is only going to get worse as we get into this gen.

For SDR devices owners that sounds reasonable. However dlss to me is basically unusable because it ENTIRELY butchers HDR presentation. Talked about it with Alex from DF, they need to solve that one out but it's just not possible

Yup. I've always been a fan of reconstruction techniques and DLSS is very impressive. I hope we get a mid-gen upgrade that introduces an NPU in the SoC for NN acceleration without relying on the main GPU.

Sony has used great reconstrunction techniques since PS4 Pro released in 2016, no reason to expect worse results with PS5. The starting rendering resolution will be way higher so the output will be very close to native 4K

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For SDR devices owners that sounds reasonable. However dlss to me is basically unusable because it ENTIRELY butchers HDR presentation. Talked about it with Alex from DF, they need to solve that one out but it's just not possible
Really? I had no idea about this but I use an SDR monitor on my PC so that explains it. Is there a video about this I can check out?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
THIS

@DF could you please add a bit of 40fps begging in every video of a graphical high class release.
devs won't listen to the mob (us)
I think they might not have enough headroom for a 40 fps mode at native 4k like ratchet did.

They could probably reduce the resolution to 1800p to get there but at that point the reduction in overall pixel clarity would take a hit.

Sygma

Really? I had no idea about this but I use an SDR monitor on my PC so that explains it. Is there a video about this I can check out?

It hasn't really been covered but it's extremely jarring when you have it in front of your eyes. For games without hdr such as control dlss is a very good adition

If you want a good example of hdr with dlss on / off I think the most severe one is Metro enhanced

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Mind elaborating? Never heard of this before. What did Alex say?

I’ve had bad experiences with hdr on PC but i always chalked it up to PC gaming’s quirks. I can never get Dolby vision to even display on my lg cx.

I’ve had bad experiences with hdr on PC but i always chalked it up to PC gaming’s quirks. I can never get Dolby vision to even display on my lg cx.
Yeah PC HDR sucks. I use Plex to stream movies because I can't get proper HDR with a HDMI cable.

I think they might not have enough headroom for a 40 fps mode at native 4k like ratchet did.

They could probably reduce the resolution to 1800p to get there but at that point the reduction in overall pixel clarity would take a hit.

the only gripe i have with the 1800p CB 60hz perf mode is the shimmering on very fine detail. i think that might be greatly improved in the variant you are suggesting.

i play most heavy PC stuff in 1800p on a 3080 when there's no theres no DLSS / FSR available. for my TV viewing distance thats more than good enough.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the only gripe i have with the 1800p CB 60hz perf mode is the shimmering on very fine detail. i think that might be greatly improved in the variant you are suggesting.

i play most heavy PC stuff in 1800p on a 3080 when there's no theres no DLSS / FSR available. for my TV viewing distance thats more than good enough.
it's just low resolution. The only tool to really combat shimmering is very heavy TAA, super high res (4k not even enough)... or just DLSS.

ethomaz

Banned
One thing I have to say, it's a shame that Guerilla's temporal solution/CB is apparently not the best.
The Performance mode despite going to 1800p lacks so much definition that even DF John who always prefers to play on higher framerate chose to play this on Resolution mode.
It was bad since they first used with Shadownfall.

I hated every single second on MP in that game due their temporal retroconstruction solution while the SP was gorgeous at native 1080p.

Last edited:

well metro EE looked extreamly broken with HDR and DLSS on at release (haven't checked back since then). i always assumed that was a dev problem and not DLSS's. if it's still there that might not be the case.

It was bad since they first used with Shadownfall.

I hated every single second on MP in that game due their temporal retroconstruction solution while the SP was gorgeous at native 1080p.

I also preferer the "Temporal Injection" method used by Insomniac

ethomaz

Banned
well metro EE looked extreamly broken with HDR and DLSS on at release (haven't checked back since then). i always assumed that was a dev problem and not DLSS's. if it's still there that might not be the case.
I think the Windows HDR implementation has a lot of issues that makes drivers not work well with it… it is hit or miss.

SlimySnake

Yeah, i meant native 1800p 40 fps. It's difference of 44% (5.6 vs 8.2 million pixels) so they should be able to find 33% more fps from that.

Their 1800cb 60 fps mode is a good compromise but it looks like they downgraded some settings which is something I care more about than reducing resolution.

I think the Windows HDR implementation has a lot of issues that makes drivers not work well with it… it is hit or miss.

true that. Forza and Gears work flawlessly while even things like Halo give you a headache.

but in metro's case i think back then you could just turn off DLSS and HDR worked fine.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I'm not sure about that because the 4k mode is virtually locked, more so than Ratchet.

40fps really needs to be offered broadly. It's much much better than 30.

Last edited:

Sygma

I mean dlss is a technique enhancing iq by creating details essentially, but it bypasses the intended HDR render. When you look at light sources it's extremely visible

Top Bottom