• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Fredrik

Yea performance mode is really poor. It's basically "Do you want this to look like an early gen PS4 game, but it will run at 60 fps?". It's shocking they greenlit it. They even had an extra four months or so to polish it.
Early PS4 game?
dVClUMJ.jpg

PS5 game?
QFz1gIy.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Early PS4 game?
dVClUMJ.jpg

PS5 game?
QFz1gIy.jpg
You guys really need to stop cherry picking screenshots. The game looks really average in motion in 60 fps. Early ps4 is actually a fairly accurate description. I haven’t played any pro games since 2016 that look this rough in motion.

I wish these tech journalists had an ounce of journalistic integrity left because they can explain the issues way better than us laymen. I can’t tell you why it looks so rough. It just does.

What sucks in that in 30 fps mode it does look better than any game out there but that mode has its own set of graphics issues making either option a tough proposition.

Madflavor

Gold Member
I keep hearing from players and reviewers that it's a proper sequel, and improves on the first game in so many ways, yet it has a slightly lower MC score than the first.

SlimySnake

I keep hearing from players and reviewers that it's a proper sequel, and improves on the first game in so many ways, yet it has a slightly lower MC score than the first.
Is been five years since the first. Standards have changed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Every game is flawed. But you may find these flaws to be not as big an issue the more you get a feel for the game. If something annoys you then fine, but I'm just talking about making broad judgements about the game as a whole when you don't know what the whole really is. And I've played plenty of games that started out great but fell apart before the end. It works both ways. Regardless, I'm not worried about whether this games reaches "masterpiece" status. Just enjoying playing it.

Then you are making broad comments about the game based on entirely what other people are saying?

Right.....so they should have turned Aloy into a Batman or Spider-man like they did with Master Chief and Link? Hell.....just make it so Aloy can fly like Superman. "new gen design"

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA
I don’t think I’ve made any comments on if I think the game is good or bad or anything? I’ve just said I was surprised and disappointed to see multiple comments of masterpiece from the media journalist marketing review machine than I would think should be thrown around, that’s all.

I have absolutely no doubt this game is good, I was just intrigued by how many negative comments I was reading when I woke up this morning. Seeing that there’s comments from people that think it’s not as good as the first game is not what I expected to see. Also, it being less polished and buggy than the first.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Sequels don't usually get the benefit of "freshness" of the originals and might be suffering from diminishing returns.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Is there any way to turn off the GPS in the game?

It is absolutely a proper sequel and - so far - has more than expanded on the first. HFW is the first game juiced to the gills on steroids. You know an RPG is a proper sequel when they develop their own ingame mini-game for it with collectible "cards" and all.

. . .as for the MC, the review landscape changes as does the zeitgeist. It's like a chicken in the early 1900's and a chicken now: both still a chicken but one is, also, juiced to the gills on steroids.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You sound like this guy

you see, if I’d not wrote that you would have never shared this amazing video. Hahaha, absolutely brilliant. I’ll take the L to witness that. poor guy must have got it bad from someone in his “professional” career or his mum everytime he practiced.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Ok, I'm so over the climbing in this game. It's a terrible mash up between climb anywhere or just climb these yellow ledges and is better than neither. Constantly having to scan to see which ledges you can use sucks. And the only option to constantly scanning is a setting that keeps neon glowing shit everywhere at all times.

Also, these geniuses linked the Weapon Wheel Slowdown to the UI framerate somehow! Put it on "slowest", make a few arrows and watch the progress wheel and then try it again on "none".
People sure have some thick nostalgia glasses on when remembering early PS4 games.
Zero Dawn released in 2017 and has better IQ on the PS5 at 60 fps than its sequel does at the same framerate.

So. For me, Zero dawn is a beautifull but utterly boring game. Please talk me into Forbidden West.
There is zero chance that you'll like this game if you didn't like the first. In fact, I think all the pretty graphics have people giving it more credit than it deserves. So far I like the first game better and many of the additions aren't done well. It's definitely less polished.

Elios83

Just 5 hours in.
I'm playing in resolution mode.
Besides the graphics that are amazing, some landscapes are jaw dropping, I'm really impressed with the animations. The facial animations have so many subtle expressions that they look real.
I had to tweak the HDR settings to get the best image quality, the game has so much density, granularity and different colors on screen that with the default settings the picture was too bright and noisy.

About the game I'm really happy to see that they fixed some of the aspects I didn't like about the original. Cities now feel alive, the NPCs act way more realistically, the side quests are way more interesting.
Plot seems really interesting.

So I'm really satisfied with the first hours, it seems like a direct sequel that is improving a lot on the original and I'm looking forward to see new weapons, different biomes and eventually the super-spoiled flying mechanics :lollipop_airplane:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You guys really need to stop cherry picking screenshots. The game looks really average in motion in 60 fps. Early ps4 is actually a fairly accurate description. I haven’t played any pro games since 2016 that look this rough in motion.

I wish these tech journalists had an ounce of journalistic integrity left because they can explain the issues way better than us laymen. I can’t tell you why it looks so rough. It just does.

What sucks in that in 30 fps mode it does look better than any game out there but that mode has its own set of graphics issues making either option a tough proposition.
60 fps mode for me looks pretty low rez. I feel like we should be hitting higher rez in 60 fps mode. I wish we had an opportunity to turn off all the air particles, they really seem to mess with the visuals.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just 5 hours in.
Besides the graphics that are amazing, some landscapes are jaw dropping, I'm really impressed with the animations. The facial animations have so many subtle expressions that they look real.
I had to tweak the HDR settings to get the best image quality, the game has so much density, granularity and different colors on screen that with the default settings the picture was too bright and noisy.

About the game I'm really happy to see that they fixed some of the aspects I didn't like about the original. Cities now feel alive, the NPCs act way more realistically, the side quests are way more interesting.

So I'm really satisfied with the first hours, it seems like a direct sequel that is improving a lot on the original and I'm looking forward to see new weapons, different biomes and eventually the super-spoiled flying mechanics :lollipop_airplane:
This I agree with. Sidequests are often the only way to get many weapons HFW. In the first game they merely existed to get XP and the occasional skill point.

One complaint I have is that the climbing doesn't seem as sticky in this game as it was in the first game. Aloy fails to grab ledges far more often and the circle mechanic screws up a lot.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

60 fps mode for me looks pretty low rez. I feel like we should be hitting higher rez in 60 fps mode. I wish we had an opportunity to turn off all the air particles, they really seem to mess with the visuals.
I didn’t notice the air particles but the shinmering around them could be what i was missing.

To me, the foliage shimmering is likely what’s killing the iq in that mode. It almost looks like it has a vrs effect going on. Its very Low res at times. Other times it looks fine.

Topher

Gold Member
Just 5 hours in.

I'm enjoying it as well. There are definitely some quirks that need to be ironed out, but frankly I think most of it is being way overblown. The game play is still simply superb when it comes to fighting the machines. That is where this game really shines, imo.

Fredrik

I’m not cherry picking anything, I went into the menu and changed modes. I don’t even know what I should look for, unfortunately I don’t wear the Digital Foundry 300% Zoom Glasses™, to my eyes they look the same but Performance mode is smoother and have a clearer image in motion and plays better.

Just uploaded a video with no tricks, just swapping mode and filming the TV. Make sure to change quality to 60fps.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ok, I'm so over the climbing in this game. It's a terrible mash up between climb anywhere or just climb these yellow ledges and is better than neither. Constantly having to scan to see which ledges you can use sucks. And the only option to constantly scanning is a setting that keeps neon glowing shit everywhere at all times.

If you're on the ledge, you really don't need to push anything but the up button. Some climbing is like a maze in that it'll lead to a dead end, but then you just push down. I only can once to get on a cliff and maybe a few times during the climb; am definitely not pushing in R3 constantly.

Also, these geniuses linked the Weapon Wheel Slowdown to the UI framerate somehow! Put it on "slowest", make a few arrows and watch the progress wheel and then try it again on "none".

Of course it is. . .otherwise why wouldn't you just put it on Slowest and quickly craft everything you need.

Zero Dawn released in 2017 and has better IQ on the PS5 at 60 fps than its sequel does at the same framerate.

Stop it.

So. For me, Zero dawn is a beautifull but utterly boring game. Please talk me into Forbidden West.

"Different people, different tastes. . ." yada, yada. However I got tired of HZD towards the end (I just focused on the main quest and Aloy was starting to get on my nerves - along with the frustrating gameplay design decisions). This game, while not fixing everything, has absolutely taken a ton of criticism to heart (which is amazing given how much fawning over the first game there was/is) and changed this one accordingly. HZD was a prototype of what GG could do with an RPG in an Open World. HFW is what comes out of that. I liken it to the jump from The Witcher to The Witcher 2.

Newari

The fidelity vs. performance battle for this game is even more dependant on individual experience than in other games. For me, I like to drag my chair in the middle of the living room and sit close enough to the TV for the screen to fill most of my field of vision and at this distance the checkerboard artifacts and blurry AA in the performance mode are insufferable. But if I sit back on the couch where I watch TV-shows and movies, the visual difference is not too bad.

It is. It’s like Uncharted 2. A PS3 game. Are we playing the same game?

New gen design is like BOTW, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2. Letting you do whatever you like. Not follow pre determined points.
Beat UC2 a few months ago, that platforming is far superior to this. Love literally every other aspect of this game though.

J3nga

I think I'll leave this until some time, neither of the modes are satisfiable to me, one is a blurry ugly mess, the other one is oversharpen slideshow. Not the results you expect from Sony's flagship.

A word of warnning to all explorers out there. You need an item you get in the main quest to open areas you find early in the game.
There are many instances of areas where you can clearly see through rubble into areas but can’t get to them because of both story elements and a main quest item later.
I wasted a few hours climbing all over a mountain For nothing because of this. Wish I had known sooner.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
A word of warnning to all explorers out there. You need an item you get in the main quest to open areas you find early in the game.
There are many instances of areas where you can clearly see through rubble into areas but can’t get to them because of both story elements and a main quest item later.
I wasted a few hours climbing all over a mountain For nothing because of this. Wish I had known sooner.

Never played Metroid, huh.

Romulus

First time I've been floored with a console game in over a decade. I still think diminishing returns are a thing and current gaming is pretty trash but this is an exception. Great game that will be a classic, but also a visual stunner. I miss the days when Nintendo could pull off that combination because theres nothing like a superb game that oozes cutting edge visuals without needing to be "stylized" for crappy hardware.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I’m not cherry picking anything, I went into the menu and changed modes. I don’t even know what I should look for, unfortunately I don’t wear the Digital Foundry 300% Zoom Glasses™, to my eyes they look the same but Performance mode is smoother and have a clearer image in motion and plays better.

Just uploaded a video with no tricks, just swapping mode and filming the TV. Make sure to change quality to 60fps.

thats still the first area, and you arent even traversing through the game. Keep playing. Leave that area and go into the real open world. This area is basically walled shut on both sides by tall mountains. the moment you leave that area and the draw distance becomes massive, you will start to see shimmering in the distance.

As a big fan of Zero Dawn, I'm pretty disappointed with some of the decisions Guerilla made with this sequel. They haven't really improved any of the janky aspects like climbing, platforming or how Aloy's character model reacts to traversal in the game world in general, and they've changed some other stuff for the worse.

It's still a 50/50 chance whether Aloy will get stuck & stop dead on a random log, or vault over it. She still transitions from land to water with all the grace of falling down the stairs. The climbing is still restricted & it still looks & feels clunky as hell. She still completely misses handholds quite often, before catching them on the second, identical, attempt.

Even worse, there are some exciting new problems now. They've tried to fix some stuff that didn't need fixing, like the vantage points or exploring the old ruins, & they've managed to break them! The vantage points in Zero Dawn simply existed in the world. All the player had to do was find & interact with them, to be rewarded with part of a story from before the world's end. They were an interesting, quick little side activity. Now we have to spend time wandering around an area trying to find the spot to line them up. Why? It drags out something that was quick & easy. Now it's tedious. Same deal with exploring the old ruins. In Zero Dawn we just roamed through them, checking out the audio recordings we found, if we wanted to. Now every one of them is some grindingly dull 'puzzle' that must be dealt with. Again, it just drags out something that was previously as quick as the player wanted it to be, for no good reason. & why for the love of God did they add in this bollocks about "tool missing, come back later"? That's not fun in this kind of game, it's annoying. I already know that I'm not jumping through these irritating hoops this time, so congratulations whatever genius decided to make these changes! I previously spent hours randomly exploring the world in Zero Dawn, but now I don't want to engage with any of this stuff! Yay!

The combat is... the same as before. Which is good, the combat was always excellent. The face animations in dialogue scenes look 100 times better now. The story is good, so far. The world of the Forbidden West is absolutely gorgeous. Man, I just wish they had actually improved some of the obvious clunky stuff from Zero Dawn & left the other stuff alone.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
thats still the first area, and you arent even traversing through the game. Keep playing. Leave that area and go into the real open world. This area is basically walled shut on both sides by tall mountains. the moment you leave that area and the draw distance becomes massive, you will start to see shimmering in the distance.

I see it now in the Daunt in either mode. It is a little distracting and I hope they fix it soon.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Just 100%ed the Daunt area, the verticality is insane. Once you learn how to combine the grapple with the shieldwing it becomes so fun.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I see no glitter fest. Can you post a pic?

As an experiment, try rotate the camera and look at the details in the trees for example in Performance and Resolution mode. Night and day difference, ironically it’s the resolution mode that gives you less details, in 30fps things get fuzzy fast when things are moving.

Yeah in 30fps had to put motion blur at Low. But 60fps really looks like an afterthought, and I would take 1440p with no upscaling myself instead of all the disturbing aliasing/shimmering and soft IQ.

Last edited:

Banned

it really is something that can't be shown in still images. as soon as anything moves the image looks like 1080p with terrible Antialiasing.

I really think it's the checkerboard rendering that's the culprit.

Fredrik

Fair enough, I’ll update my thoughts later then, maybe record another video. But I doubt I’ll ever think a visual big is severe enough to halve the framerate.

RafterXL

Ok, so because I was curious, I downloaded the PS4 version on to my PS5 and found some hilarious results. First off, the PS5 may be a constant 30 fps in Resolution mode, but the PS4 version, which is also 30 fps, is so much smoother it's not even funny. The 30 fps on PS5 is straight up broken in comparison.

Secondly, the PS4 actually has better image quality than the PS5 version in Performance mode, there's none of the shimmering nonsense, which means there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have done a better job on the Performance mode.

Bottom line, both PS5 modes are messed up and the PS4 version proves it.
Of course it is. . .otherwise why wouldn't you just put it on Slowest and quickly craft everything you need.

That makes zero sense. You're saying they put a setting in the game that intentionally lags out your UI so people couldn't craft?

Watch the first video when it is in performance mode on the screen you game on then compare it to the Zero Dawn clip.

If you can't see all of the shimmering in the FW video then you are good to go as you obviously sit far enough away that you can't perceive the full detail but otherwise you should notice how clean Zero Dawn looks in comparison. Obviously FW has better quality assets, geometry etc as well as very animated foliage but it's a fair step down in terms of image quality in the 60fps mode. I know the consoles have finite power but every PS5 game I've played to date has looked very clean in the 60fps mode if a little blurrier.

Fredrik

it really is something that can't be shown in still images.
Goes for the low fps in Resolution mode as well. Apparently it’s even using motion blur by default so how much is left from the supposedly crispier image from the higher resolution in the end when you actually play the game? Would be fun to film and pick out one frame as a still image from resolution and performance mode to compare. I might do that.
And if you turn motion blur off in res mode. No hiding the low fps stutter then.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That makes zero sense. You're saying they put a setting in the game that intentionally lags out your UI so people couldn't craft?

What lag? The speed of crafting is tied to the speed of the slowdown effect: it's fastest with no slowdown and for people who need a bit more breathing room in combat, the speed is much slower. If they had one speed for crafting, there would be zero incentive to play with the faster combat is no slowdown.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Watch the first video when it is in performance mode on the screen you game on then compare it to the Zero Dawn clip.

If you can't see all of the shimmering in the FW video then you are good to go as you obviously sit far enough away that you can't perceive the full detail but otherwise you should notice how clean Zero Dawn looks in comparison. Obviously FW has better quality assets, geometry etc as well as very animated foliage but it's a fair step down in terms of image quality in the 60fps mode. I know the consoles have finite power but every PS5 game I've played to date has looked very clean in the 60fps mode if a little blurrier.

Yup, the HZD final image looks much better and stable. 30fps is insanely sharp and better than any game so far, but the huge hit for 60fps makes me think it was half-baked.

SlimySnake

I think I see what might be happening here. It's true that HZD is far cleaner but its also not rendering foliage at the level of density HFW is doing, at least on the PS5 where the foliage draw distance is massive. In HZD, one of my biggest complaints was how after like 30 feet in front you the foliage would just stop rendering leaving it with a simple ground texture. here, foliage draws well into the distance and the trees maintain their full LODs as well. This means the checkerboarding artifacts simply affect more things on screen leading to a muddier image.

Like someone else mentioned, there is also most likely some kind of dynamic res in play because it doesnt feel 1800p. IIRC, Ghost of Tsushima, GT Sports and Days Gone were all 1800p cb on PS4 Pro and they felt far cleaner than this. GOT and Days Gone werent even 60 fps like GT Sports and HFW so they shouldve looked worse.

sainraja

It could be my TV but when I am switching between resolution and performance mode I can't really tell the difference. It looks good in both.
I'm past the
snake boss fight
and enjoying the game so far!

Woggleman

Gold Member
Maybe it is my TV or I just have low standards but the game honestly looks fine in performance mode to me and I have played hours at this point. Do disable motion blur which should be disabled as a default in 60 FPS modes anyway but it looks great to me.

Top Bottom