• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

TIGERCOOL

A Sony 65XE9305/XE93 light cannon. It’s not a problem with the TV, either people are using some motion interpolation or motion blur or they just haven’t tried comparing the modes, or they’re among the ”lucky” few who can’t see more than 30fps or whatever. For me it’s a night and day difference in smoothness and motion clarity in performance mode. And after years of performance modes and PC gaming I simply can’t adjust to the 30fps stutter, would’ve played in performance mode if it looked like a PS3 game too, plays like a dream.
yeah these posts are rampant with every game that has the choice and I always give resolution mode a chance because everyone goes on at length about the image quality... then I switch back to performance mode within 5 minutes. I can rarely see much of a difference in IQ but I dont sit 2 feet from my 4k tv. yet to play a game in which the res boost comes even close to making up the framerate difference but I haven't played forbidden west. tv upscalers and AA do a good enough job for me.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I have to say, this new stash system is dumb as fuck. Just let me hold potions or whatever. I mean it doesn't even make logical sense that I find something in the wild and it's sent across the map magically to my stash. This is probably the dumbest design decision I have ever seen in a game of this nature.

Data Ghost

I have been enjoying my time with it so far, it’s pretty much what I was expecting and I think I’ll have a good time with it. I was not impressed by the intro sequence (with the female vocals) where every time it switched to a new shot there was usually jarring pop in. That really surprised me and spoiled the awesomeness of it for me. I thought the super dooper mega fast SSD was supposed to make that a thing of the past.

Graphically there is a LOT of detail, and some of the faces have a weirdly real look to them (but not Aloy who looks cartoony).

I am finding the controls a little clunky but not too bad overall. If you have a PS5 it’s definitely worth playing. I’m up to speed with what has happened so far. I had pretty much forgotten all of the story details of Zero Dawn.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I have to say, this new stash system is dumb as fuck. Just let me hold potions or whatever. I mean it doesn't even make logical sense that I find something in the wild and it's sent across the map magically to my stash. This is probably the dumbest design decision I have ever seen in a game of this nature.
I'm confused by it tbh. It looks like my ridgewood can be replenished from stash when crafting but berries and potions can't?

Banned
so after doing my first cauldron I really start to hate the scripted platforming... it feels super clunky, slow and it's the typical "fake game mechanic" stuff that I can't stand in many modern aaa games.
this need to keep the player from actually controlling the character so that it's impossible to do anything except exactly what the game wants you to do.

at that point, why even have that in your game? it's clearly not meant to add any meaningful gameplay since it's literally a fake obstacle that is 100% context sensitive and pre scripted...

that and also I need a "shut the fuck up" option for Aloy. "I need to get up there... maybe I can use [enter object]", "I can use [enter object] to get across!", "I need to find a [enter object] to get into that door"
every fucking thing you need to do gets a fucking voice line like she is some schizophrenic lunatic... jesus!

the fights are fun and the gyro aiming helps a lot with that. but many of the surroundings are just annoying af

Last edited:
6zAWYzP.jpg
Getting some serious TLOU vibes here

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, this is one thing I don't like about the game. I'm not even sure where my stash is.

GooseMan69

If you’ve played the first game, this is a huge case of “been there, done that.”

It’s the exact same open-world design we’ve had since TW3. But games like GoT improved on that formula with its focus on making things seem disgetic/natural, while this one just kind of copies it exactly.
I mean the witcher 3 is one of the best games of last gen but you could easily say has more glaring issues than this game. Not only did the game launch on consoles far more broken than this (which this isn’t even bad outside of pop in and some performance bugs) but the overall movement of geralt and roach, the bloated main quest that has you searching for hours upon hours for dandelion and other dumb shit, the bad combat system, the original clunky UI, the almost static dialogue scenes…etc

The things people are complaining about in this game are so minor its hard to see how its drastically effecting reviews.

For real. Witcher 3 was praised to the high heavens and is far more flawed than Forbidden West if you ask me.

BadBurger

I'm confused by it tbh. It looks like my ridgewood can be replenished from stash when crafting but berries and potions can't?

Basically, unless one wants to constantly go back to camp sites or the like and deal with their inventory you'll never pick up anything new. It is so stupid. This retarded-ass design decision alone is enough to knock the ratings of this game down a point.

Picked up a potion! Yay, I could use this! But only you didn't because your pouch is full, so it is magically teleported to "your stash". Found a new trap that could help in this heated battle you're in, that you were clearly meant to find? Sorry, Harry Potter'd across the map to a chest somewhere. Wee.

My god this shit is beyond stupid. I cannot believe this feature made it beyond alpha.

RafterXL

A lot of the new design decisions are dumb. The stash is bad but my biggest issue is the fact that there are things all over the map that you can't do because "you don't have the right tool" nonsense. Like tons of it. It completely kills the exploration aspect.

And why are campfires white on the map after you find them? Why do I have to scan loot from machines I just killed and why does it last 2 seconds at most? Thecscanning, in general, sucks. They also turned up the Aloy instantly telling you what to do next monologue to 11...like stfu I want to figure stuff out on my own. There is also lots of jank that didn't exist in the last game. Aloy likes to jump the wrong way, won't let go of ledges, the swimming camera next to any wall, barrel, etc. is a clusterfuck. The game is definitely not as polished as the first.

yeah these posts are rampant with every game that has the choice and I always give resolution mode a chance because everyone goes on at length about the image quality... then I switch back to performance mode within 5 minutes. I can rarely see much of a difference in IQ but I dont sit 2 feet from my 4k tv. yet to play a game in which the res boost comes even close to making up the framerate difference but I haven't played forbidden west. tv upscalers and AA do a good enough job for me.

Yeah, good luck with that with this game. Performance mode is terrible. I NEVER play at game at 30 if it has a 60 option but here I am playing this game at 30 fps until (hopefully) they fix performance mode.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You can say the same thing about those dumping on the game so early as well. If you are saying wait to call it a masterpiece then why not just wait about coming to broad conclusions at all until you've finished it completely?

How far into the game are you?
Maybe, it’s just a difference in opinion on what classes as a masterpiece. I think of a masterpiece as that stand out media or art that comes a long every now and again and is an absolute master class first rate masterpiece in doing the “thing” that it does. a Masterpiece stands the test of time, is unique in its overall vision and absolutely stands out amongst its piers.

im not playing the game but Plan on picking it up in the future once the patches are done. There’s enough content and Opinions out there to know that this is a direct sequel to the first, very similar and will be a huge excellent game to you if you liked the first. I just came of ghost of Tsushima 100% play through so I’m not after another assassins creed style open world game at the minute.

to your point though, I don’t think anything should be labelled a masterpiece within 48 hours of its release, that kind of title takes time to become true. I’m not saying it isn’t a masterpiece, im saying it’s too early to say.

saying this, I guess we live in a world where everything has to be now, now, now so I guess the world might want to label something a masterpiece then move onto next weeks masterpiece, removing all weight and meaning to the word.

Best feature of the game so far for me..and it’s a silly one

The game auto dims if your on pause or standing around in an area….great for paranoid oled owners that have kids or are trying to pretend to work from home while jumping into random meetings

GooseMan69

Basically, unless one wants to constantly go back to camp sites or the like and deal with their inventory you'll never pick up anything new. It is so stupid. This retarded-ass design decision alone is enough to knock the ratings of this game down a point.

Picked up a potion! Yay, I could use this! But only you didn't because your pouch is full, so it is magically teleported to "your stash". Found a new trap that could help in this heated battle you're in, that you were clearly meant to find? Sorry, Harry Potter'd across the map to a chest somewhere. Wee.

My god this shit is beyond stupid. I cannot believe this feature made it beyond alpha.

It’s so you don’t have to worry about inventory management. And I think they wanted to give players another reason to go into the settlements. It’s better than the alternative of just telling the player to fuck off because their inventory is full like some games do.

Banned
You can say the same thing about those dumping on the game so early as well. If you are saying wait to call it a masterpiece then why not just wait about coming to broad conclusions at all until you've finished it completely?

How far into the game are you?

because finding glaring issues can literally happen in the first minute of playing...

to me the really bad platforming and the annoying constantly interrupting voice lines from Aloy alone make it a flawed game... and you don't have to play the game for 100 hours to know that thse things are bad.

funnily enough I personally have no real issue with the stash system so far like many other have tho

meanwhile even if you start playing a game and it turns out it's really really good, the full "scale" of how good it is can only truly be determined after finishing it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Guys, what to look for when picking new armor? The stats and icons don't do much for me... and comparing to starting armor fully upgraded is also impossible because I am comparing to not leveled new armors

evanft

I can’t believe they shipped performance mode in the state it’s in. EASILY the worst image quality of any AAA title I’ve played on ps5.

I’m putting the game down and hoping they fix it. If they don’t do it within the next few weeks I’m going to sell the game and just wait for the pc version.

BadBurger

I can’t believe they shipped performance mode in the state it’s in. EASILY the worst image quality of any AAA title I’ve played on ps5.

I’m putting the game down and hoping they fix it. If they don’t do it within the next few weeks I’m going to sell the game and just wait for the pc version.

Yea performance mode is really poor. It's basically "Do you want this to look like an early gen PS4 game, but it will run at 60 fps?". It's shocking they greenlit it. They even had an extra four months or so to polish it.

You'd think the game was running at 720p or something with these ridiculous comments

BadBurger

It’s so you don’t have to worry about inventory management. And I think they wanted to give players another reason to go into the settlements. It’s better than the alternative of just telling the player to fuck off because their inventory is full like some games do.

No, lol, no. It's one thing to tell a player "you have too many of item X". This system makes it so a player can not pick up anything because some arbitrary limit was reached in the inventory. This is the worst, by far, inventory system I have ever seen. They should patch in an option to completely yeet the stash and just put hard limits on each item type in ones inventory.

Again, I cannot believe this made it past alpha. It is so fucking dumb. In short - in the first game I never had to think about my inventory. This new system forces a player to constantly think about inventory. It solves a problem that didn't exist previously, but creates a massive headache now. Bleh.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

Just...no. lol. The hysteria around the IQ in performance mode is exaggerated. Seems people you are new to the IQ of Horizon CBR or 60 fps mode on console. The only reason because you noticed it more it's the outstanding level of granularity in details of the engine which are not commons but it's almost the normality such compromise in a game which was intended to be 30 FPS. Shit even Matrix demo has awful IQ compared others games and it's not 60 FPS.

Last edited:
I mean, I think most sequels five or more years after the previous game feel a lot more different than this does. GTA IV to GTA V and The Last of Us to The Last of Us Part II just to name a few notable examples.
Honestly those games you mention felt pretty similar to there prequels actually.

What did those games do different that forbidden west doesn't?

assurdum

Banned
For real..

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152043.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152123.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152139.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152259.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152309.jpg

I wonder how these people could possibly settle on PC at say 1440p 120fps when you could always push for 8K and more + Mods and see this exact kind of difference.. at 5fps.
Performance mode? Because Jeez even Matrix had a worst IQ than this.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just in case somebody is having trouble with the broken sky quest. This fixed it for me.

No, it is not. If you don't like the game then fine but that is an absurd comparison.

It absolutely is stuck in past gen design.

Current gen non linear design for plarforming and traversal can be seen in BOTW, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2 etc.

This is PS2-PS3 level linear and janky platformimg controls. Even the highest rated reviews criticized it. Stop being blind.

Que ?

I thought this was supposed to have more Uncharted style free-flowing climbing/platforming and not the 'very specific spots' like the first.

It is still only specific spots. Even outdoors only certain spots can be climbed that your focus shows you.

One mountain I tried could be climbed on one side but not the other. Despite graphically looking the same. It’s the dumbest not gamey shit I have ever seen.

Also this is a step back for open world games other than graphics. This is just as gamey as a Ubisoft game like Far Cry. Ghost of Tsushima this is NOT.

RGB'D

Maybe, it’s just a difference in opinion on what classes as a masterpiece. I think of a masterpiece as that stand out media or art that comes a long every now and again and is an absolute master class first rate masterpiece in doing the “thing” that it does. a Masterpiece stands the test of time, is unique in its overall vision and absolutely stands out amongst its piers.

im not playing the game but Plan on picking it up in the future once the patches are done. There’s enough content and Opinions out there to know that this is a direct sequel to the first, very similar and will be a huge excellent game to you if you liked the first. I just came of ghost of Tsushima 100% play through so I’m not after another assassins creed style open world game at the minute.

to your point though, I don’t think anything should be labelled a masterpiece within 48 hours of its release, that kind of title takes time to become true. I’m not saying it isn’t a masterpiece, im saying it’s too early to say.

saying this, I guess we live in a world where everything has to be now, now, now so I guess the world might want to label something a masterpiece then move onto next weeks masterpiece, removing all weight and meaning to the word.
Yeah. Well said. And there is a huge difference between calling something a masterpiece immediately and saying something isn't good. I'm pretty mediocre on the start, but the first game was like that too so I will give it some time. That said I was playing Kena before this released and am super tempted to go back and finish before I get too far into Horizon.

Fredrik

I made a quick camera rotation video.

You might need to look at it in the YouTube app to be able to see it in 60fps, make sure to go through the advanced quality settings, default is like 460p 30fps for me for some reason. Set it to 1080p 60fps at least if 4K60 is too much data.

In my opinion it show clearly the differences when it comes to smoothness and motion clarity. The faster you go the more stutter and the less details you see if the framerate is too low. Performance mode looks quite crispy even at the highest rotation speed. Resolution mode, not so much.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned

You sound like this guy

T-Cake

No, lol, no. It's one thing to tell a player "you have too many of item X". This system makes it so a player can not pick up anything because some arbitrary limit was reached in the inventory. This is the worst, by far, inventory system I have ever seen. They should patch in an option to completely yeet the stash and just put hard limits on each item type in ones inventory.

Again, I cannot believe this made it past alpha. It is so fucking dumb. In short - in the first game I never had to think about my inventory. This new system forces a player to constantly think about inventory. It solves a problem that didn't exist previously, but creates a massive headache now. Bleh.

To me this sounds like you've got it backwards. The first game did require you to micro manage your inventory. Nothing worse than not being able to pick something up, so you have to turn something else into shards not knowing whether you might need it later.

I love this system in the new game where you can pick up anything and everything and it goes into your magic chest.

Fredrik

Never tried off, but used Low. If you compare it to 60fps no the difference is big. But with the glitter fest in 60fps I would rather stick to 30fps. Try Low, I find it good. Off? Didn't try it myself.
I see no glitter fest. Can you post a pic?

As an experiment, try rotate the camera and look at the details in the trees for example in Performance and Resolution mode. Night and day difference, ironically it’s the resolution mode that gives you less details, in 30fps things get fuzzy fast when things are moving.

Topher

Gold Member
because finding glaring issues can literally happen in the first minute of playing...

to me the really bad platforming and the annoying constantly interrupting voice lines from Aloy alone make it a flawed game... and you don't have to play the game for 100 hours to know that thse things are bad.

funnily enough I personally have no real issue with the stash system so far like many other have tho

meanwhile even if you start playing a game and it turns out it's really really good, the full "scale" of how good it is can only truly be determined after finishing it.

Every game is flawed. But you may find these flaws to be not as big an issue the more you get a feel for the game. If something annoys you then fine, but I'm just talking about making broad judgements about the game as a whole when you don't know what the whole really is. And I've played plenty of games that started out great but fell apart before the end. It works both ways. Regardless, I'm not worried about whether this games reaches "masterpiece" status. Just enjoying playing it.

im not playing the game but Plan on picking it up in the future once the patches are done.

Then you are making broad comments about the game based on entirely what other people are saying?

It absolutely is stuck in past gen design.

Current gen non linear design for plarforming and traversal can be seen in BOTW, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2 etc.

This is PS2-PS3 level linear and janky platformimg controls. Even the highest rated reviews criticized it. Stop being blind.

It is. It’s like Uncharted 2. A PS3 game. Are we playing the same game?

New gen design is like BOTW, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2. Letting you do whatever you like. Not follow pre determined points.

Right.....so they should have turned Aloy into a Batman or Spider-man like they did with Master Chief and Link? Hell.....just make it so Aloy can fly like Superman. "new gen design"

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

cormack12

Gold Member
Never tried off, but used Low. If you compare it to 60fps no the difference is big. But with the glitter fest in 60fps I would rather stick to 30fps. Try Low, I find it good. Off? Didn't try it myself.

giphy.gif

It is. It’s like Uncharted 2. A PS3 game. Are we playing the same game?

New gen design is like BOTW, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2. Letting you do whatever you like. Not follow pre determined points.

Dude, I think you're being way over the top here. Is the climbing system best in class? No, but it's certainly not as your describing it. Your examples aren't really fair either. I mean, why should I have to parkour in Dying Light when Halo has a grapple? Why should I use my own energy climbing cliffs in Zelda when Halo has a grapple? That's not even mentioning the ledges that are out of range of the grapple in Halo. Why should I have to parkour in Watch Dogs or GTA when Jacob Fry and Batman have grapples? And Borderlands 3 are Destiny 2 are great examples of how platforming in first person can also be awful.

For example, Far Cry 5 requires unlocks and then grapple points, Why can't I grapple anywhere?

Do you actually remember Zero Dawn recently, because this is what it was (skip to around 3:50 to see the actual 'climbing'). This is why everyone wanted a massive improvement.

So they've gone from something like that to what I'd consider Tomb Raider, Uncharted, AC (prior to Origins) level climbing mechanics, that's a huge leap. It's really simple, the 'x' are jump points and the lines are shimmy ledges. It's no different to the yellow coating on things in Uncharted or the white ledges in Tomb Raider. This is Forbidden West style climbing:

This is Uncharted 4:

In Tomb Raider you create your own 'x' markers by using Broadhead arrows - why can't Lara just climb across walls?

Not everywhere is 'climbable' in those games but for good reason. Now, with it being the second iteration yeah it's a bit janky. Sometimes I'll run up a table in a tavern, or she'll get stuck demounting a ledge or you'll have to readjust because a ledge you think is in range actually isn't but these are just par for the course really. It's not perfect but I think you're being overly critical, like those people who wanted to bash Tomb Raider while praising Uncharted imo.

Last edited:
Guerilla Games...just insane at what they do from a technical standpoint...I love what I'm seeing and I love how it plays...Its just beautiful to me. I totally tip my hat to them

But as usual I have no interest in the story/characters of their games..they have got to get some better writers at some point.

dDoc

That movie sucked the first time. I’m not watching it again PLUS another hour and a half just because you supposedly fixed it.

The Snider cut does make a turd of a movie into a decent, watchable and fun experience though.

I’m using low too, in quality mode. Finding that very smooth after some initial adjustment, but the visuals are worth the trade off here. Most important thing is the frame pacing is perfect. It’s inconsistent frame pacing and regular dips that I can’t deal with.

I’m a bit annoyed that all of Sony’s devs aren’t doing a 40fps mode like Insomniac though. That mode was divine. I hope it’s something they add.

GustavoLT

My physical copy is yet to arrive next week, I'm worried because since I bought an Oled I can't deal with 30fps anymore!

MikeM

Yea performance mode is really poor. It's basically "Do you want this to look like an early gen PS4 game, but it will run at 60 fps?". It's shocking they greenlit it. They even had an extra four months or so to polish it.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

You'd think the game was running at 720p or something with these ridiculous comments
Seriously. Its painful. Besides the checkerboarding artifacts the game still looks fantastic. And when I pan the camera, the game doesn’t become a garbled blob of shit.

dDoc

Watched a few streams out of curiosity and noticed that there are TONS of cut scenes, like all of the time!

Question for peeps with some hours clocked in already - Is this just at the beginning or does it continue throughout the course of the game?

Top Bottom