• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is it that Zelda maintained its status while Final Fantasy couldnt?

K' Dash

FF7 is still better then OOT.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Poor bastard lol

I think it's just been too long since Final Fantasy was perceived to be at its franchise peak. Square Enix's love affair with FF7 reminding people of their peak doesn't help.

Nintendo on the other hand has hit numerous considered peaks with Zelda over the years. Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Breath of the Wild, with Breath of the Wild obviously being recent in mind. These games were all considered groundbreaking in their time. Hell even Windwaker broke ground on cel-shaded animation.

When was the last FF game that really broke ANY sort of ground? FF7, 8 and 10 were probably the best looking games of their time. Since then, they've fallen behind. The stories no longer wow us and their characters have been lackluster, particularly the main characters.

A 20 year gap of any major quality hits and it's not like Square Enix is raining hits outside of the Final Fantasy brand where someone would think, maybe give this guy a FF game he is crushing it.

They put all their eggs into FF and as a result, there isn't much breathing room for directors/producers to shine.

Why is Keisuke Miyauchi not getting a Final Fantasy game to direct? Maybe if Octopath Traveller 1 had released on PS4 it would have been a bigger hit for Square Enix.

What about Takeshi Uchikawa?

They drove out so much of their talent and haven't really given anyone else a chance to really shine.

They gave FF16 to the guy who saved FF14, so we'll see how that works out, but they used to have a slew of games that got people excited before they turned into a Final Fantasy factory.

Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Bahamut Dragoon, Star Ocean, Seiken Densetsu, Quintent's games, Musashi, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Saga and on and on...

Celine

FF7 is still better then OOT.
That's a matter of tastes.
Personally I think OoT is better but I love both games.

Certainly OoT was the more advanced and ambitious game of the two, and the one closer to how videogames would eventually evolves.
Stuff like inverse kinematics was almost unheard before on consoles (can think only about Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn as an earlier example and that's a genre which focus everything on the two characters on screen unlike in the action/adventure genre).

gVZ62.jpg

Final Fantasy VII on the other hand took full advantage of the CD medium with tons of pre-rendered backgrounds and FMVs but was otherwise quite reminescent in structure of the games Square had developed previously on SNES (it was 'flat' in design if you understand what I'm saying despite the superflous rotations during battles).

y1T3EsV.jpg

Last edited:
FF has made a lot of changes over the years with their main series games, so it's not always going to be the right move. Zelda made some changes too, but more slow and steady ones to protect the integrity of the franchise.

AmuroChan

Miyamoto still making inputs I’m sure. But maybe the Gooch was more important to FF.

Also, Aonuma is still the producer on all the Zelda games even after he handed directorial responsibilities to someone else. So he is the constant that has shepherded the franchises for 3 decades. Sakaguchi left Square in 2003 and had no involvement with any future FF games thereafter.

Nintendo fans are way less demanding and more forgiving.
This, to be honest. If this was a multiplat random new IP, then Im not sure it would be met with the same level of reverence.

It's more of a "im trying this out/hyped because of what people say" rather than "what i'm seeing is so next level and extraordinary anyone and their mom could see why this is impressive"

Also factor in that these non narrative, unfocused botw era zelda titles work better with the mobile experience that is switch.

lachesis

Basically Zelda series have more defined criteria that can be focused on for quality control.

Zelda = gameplay first, story is more or less afterthought.
FF series = story first, with gameplay in tandem.

It is much more difficult to nail a great story all the time. Zelda's gameplay though - it's built upon each installation in a lot of cases with a lot of knowhow accumulated, such as dungeon designs and all. Even if the system gets overhauled, that knowhow is still there and apparent.

FF series, though - in order to keep things fresh, they tend to overhaul entire thing from ground up - because environment interactivity (dungeon puzzles, or metroid-like access points) isn't part of the game mechanics or there as very limited way - the games feel disconnected except item names and few reference-type names, items etc. Me being the old school turn base FF fan, I couldn't get into recent ones, nor could recognize it as such... On the other hand, I felt so much better and more excited to play DQ XI - which is basically on the opposite spectrum of FF series, which I believe kept the identity of the series quite well over the years.

AJUMP23

Final fantasy focused on crystals for far too long. Zelda learned from the tedium of skyward sword.

one is a tent pole first party, the other had a boy band game and is a third party game.

daveonezero

Banned
I think Zelda stayed more humble and focused on gameplay. FF is in the make it as crazy as possible and outdo the last version with tons of cutscenes.

One requires a lot of resources for not a lot of gameplay.

K2D

Banned
That's a matter of tastes.
Personally I think OoT is better but I love both games.

Certainly OoT was the more advanced and ambitious game of the two, and the one closer to how videogames would eventually evolves.
Stuff like inverse kinematics was almost unheard before on consoles (can think only about Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn as an earlier example and that's a genre which focus everything on the two characters on screen unlike in the action/adventure genre).

gVZ62.jpg

Final Fantasy VII on the other hand took full advantage of the CD medium with tons of pre-rendered backgrounds and FMVs but was otherwise quite reminescent in structure of the games Square had developed previously on SNES.
y1T3EsV.jpg
Only way I see OOT as more advanced and ambitious is on the techical/programming side, and even then the vanilla OoT was apparently not that well optimized. OG FF7 on PS1 was actually quite well polished as well, with very little jank, unlike the pc version that's been ported and grandfathered all over the place.

You might call FF7 a cheat on the graphical side of things, but I prefer the prerendered scenes of FF7 over the bland 64 graphics og OOT.

Last edited:

Ryllix_

As a huge final fantasy fan I’m willing to admit the series has been extremely hit and miss for 20 years. Zelda is consistently good.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
FF has struggled with pretty jarring development issues. TOTK for example had a year of pure polish time according to interviews.

FF15 started as vs13, had multiple iterations , tons of missing story content until dlc, an entire chapter (13) that was a lore dump in books, and you had to watch a CG movie just to understand the villain better lol.

FF can be just as successful and relevant but it needs to be treated with the love and passion that Zelda gets from Nintendo.

I NEVER understand this complain. You see animal running around, you NPC passing by, you see giant ass dragons flying around and group of enemies camping out and at night they sleep, heck I even saw some of them hunting animals or fighting Zonar robots. How the fuck this game can be considered “empty”?
You compare it to other open-world games and it's empty and well boring.

KiteGr

Zelda's games are some times overated and/or overpriced, but never unfinished. Before FF16 the last 3 instalments where just that! You can't blame people for losing faith.

Boy bawang

If the Zelda after Skyward Sword had sucked, it wouldn't have maintained its status.
But they made one of the greatest have ever, and did it again 6 years later. The day Final Fantasy can do that, it'll regain its status. But the truth is that they haven't made a goty material since FF6 and FF7.

Chukhopops

I don't like the direction that current Zelda and the current Final Fantasy are heading

Not a fan
I was really hyped for TotK but now I don’t like it nearly as much as BotW, because the exploration feels completely different now that you can zip through the map very easily between the towers and devices.

The map feels very « artificial », in the sense that it’s designed for your abilities to be used.

Personal opinion of course and the game is still fun to play.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So have I.

Zelda Open world feel like Sea of Thieves, they both look amazing, but are rather empty and you don't get that feel of a living breathing open world like in other Open World games
You keep saying “empty” and I’m asking empty how? You see NPC and animals and enemies around open world and interacting with each other, so I’m not getting what you mean by “empty”.

Shubh_C63

Are these questions for real, is OP really so perplexed or this makes for a good thread title ?

Zelda has all the hits and no misses.
FF has multiple hits and multiple misses.

Celine

Only way I see OOT as more advanced and ambitious is on the techical/programming side, and even then the vanilla OoT was apparently not that well optimized. OG FF7 on PS1 was actually quite well polished as well, with very little jank, unlike the pc version that's been ported and grandfathered all over the place.

You might call FF7 a cheat on the graphical side of things, but I prefer the prerendered scenes of FF7 over the bland 64 graphics og OOT.
Yes, I was talking on the technical and game design side.
As I've said how videogames would evolves would resemble OoT instead of FFVII which was close to the SNES conventions (with the added capabilities of PS1/CD rom).

You keep saying “empty” and I’m asking empty how? You see NPC and animals and enemies around open world and interacting with each other, so I’m not getting what you mean by “empty”.
You see the odd ones and you don't the sense that they're living their own lives or doing much. Not compared to how NPC's act in the likes of GTA5, Fallout 4, Skyrim

Like I said it feels all very Sea Of Thieves to me. But I get it one can't find any fault with a Nintendo game...

There have been several times no one cared about Zelda over the years. Feel like ff has had better sustained success.
Actually... yeah. People pretending Zelda was still this unrivaled series between Twlight Princess and BotW felt very forced. A pretty dire decade, both quality- and sales-wise.

Danjin44

You see the odd ones and you don't the sense that they're living their own lives or doing much.
Are you kidding me!? When it’s night NPCs goes to sleep and when it rains they look for cover. Heck I recently saw random NPC painting one of sky islands and at night he rested in his small tent. You see enemies hunting for animal and sometimes you NPC fighting one of the enemies.

You also those giant dragons you inside underground, I once ride one them to underground.

SeraphJan

Nintendo fans are way less demanding and more forgiving.
I don't know about other community, but here at Gaf its definitely true.

Or we could see this the other way around, maybe other fanbase are way too demanding. Just look at this post, around 1 week time window we already had more than 20 pages of complains for a game that didn't even look bad at all. I could never imaging that happening to Zelda games, If it was the same standard, people would be screaming for the company to release a new hardware, yet I've seen many of the fan here actually didn't wish a Switch successor at all.
Nintendo console users are simply way less demanding in general. It's a younger user base, with a much larger percentage of casual gamers. The part of the fanbase that isn't young is also way more influenced by nostalgia because Nintendo has basically programmed them like that.
Yes, Nintendo definitely programmed, or precisely "filtered" them. They started this filtering from Wii era where they filtered out all the demanding consumer that are looking for cutting edge technology and realism presentation. They did this "filter" process for three console generations. If you look at pre Game Cube (include Game Cube which was my all time favorite console) era, Nintendo fans are just as demanding as other fanbase. Satoru Iwata's strategy come to fruition in Switch era, by the time of Switch most demanding consumer already move to other platform, while Switch as a portable device (and Nintendo's dominance in the portable market) incentivize purchase from many new audience that are raised in mobile age (where they had vastly different gaming habit and standards).

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Actually... yeah. People pretending Zelda was still this unrivaled series between Twlight Princess and BotW felt very forced. A pretty dire decade, both quality- and sales-wise.
Everyone who played the phantom hour glass stand up.

Oh... So barely anyone played that? Weird. Well surely yall rushed out back in the day to play season of time or link between worlds.

No? T tomato shrub knows what's up too

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Final Fantasy isn't even the best JRPG right now Xenoblades surpassed it longs ago

TOTK reached the bests game ever status not in the sames leagues

Danjin44

Xenoblades surpassed it longs ago
I’m very surprised hearing that from you.

Because I remember when Xenoblade 3 was coming out in remember you made thread about how Nintendo wasting time investing on Xenoblade series and instead they should invest on F Zero.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I’m very surprised hearing that from you.

Because I remember when Xenoblade 3 was coming out in remember you made thread about how Nintendo wasting time investing on Xenoblade series and instead they should invest on F Zero.
I donts likes JRPGs but still Xeno mores than FF especially X

K2D

Banned
Yes, I was talking on the technical and game design side.
As I've said how videogames would evolves would resemble OoT instead of FFVII which was close to the SNES conventions (with the added capabilities of PS1/CD rom).
Don't agree about game design. Tech wise sure, but not design as a whole. Though OoT and Mario 64 should absolutely be praised for design. It's apples to oranges, and very subject to taste.

It's like; one of my favorite series Fallout: I'd still like to see a new isometric Fallout even though the fps formula can work just as good, better or worse.

I don't know about other community, but here at Gaf its definitely true.

Or we could see this the other way around, maybe other fanbase are way too demanding. Just look at this post, around 1 week time window we already had more than 20 pages of complains for a game that didn't even look bad at all. I could never imaging that happening to Zelda games, If it was the same standard, people would be screaming for the company to release a new hardware, yet I've seen many of the fan here actually didn't wish a Switch successor at all.
Nah. I've been on GAF when I had a WiiU, so I saw the worst depths of fanboyism, Nintendo hardcore fans practically bordering on religious fanaticism for their dumb nostalgic toy. The sheer copium and resulting hatred for all the people who didn't want to sugarcoat anything were unbearable. Since then, I'll always prefer a critical fanbase, even if it's overly critical towards something I like.

Thankfully the worst of them went to purple site, where you now literally get banned for saying Pokemon games have bad graphics.

Last edited:
Because the father and visionnaire of Final Fantasy is not there anymore.
It's no coincidence the series massively declined after Sakaguchi left.

With Zelda, the main designers have been there since the first one.
They have a vision, they know what makes a Zelda game and respect its core identity.
They don't try to turn Zelda into something else entirely.

With Final Fantasy, it seems Squeenix would turn the main franchise into a third person shooter if they could.

My main issue with the way Final Fantasy is turning out. FF16 looks like a Western RPG and the gameplay seems more in line with Western RPGs. I have no issues with Western RPGs but I like the differences between JRPGs and WRPGs. I think it will be good, since YoshiP is heading the project, but it's an instant skip for me.

As for Zelda Tears of The Kingdom, I might be turned off by playing this game and hating Breath of the Wild, but I admit its more true to Zelda, due to the same team being there since the beginning. Like I hate Breath of the Wild, but I can see it's really changed the landscape, I have the same feelings towards Bethesda Games, especially with Skyrim.

hyperbertha

The hyperboles in this thread are among the wildest ones I've ever seen in a thread.

FF games are polarising, they sure are because they try to change the formula each time. Sometimes it works sometimes not as much as wanted.

But people just saying things like "hot garbage" speaking of any main Final Fantasy title are out of their mind.
It can be disappointing sure (FFXV vanilla urgh it was rough...) but "hot garbage" really ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Anything less than 85 on metacritic is hot garbage.
source: my favourite game is ride to hell retribution.

Last edited:

X-Wing

I think they both maintained their status.
Zelda also had Skyward Sword, which would be the Final Fantasy XV of that franchise.

twinspectre

with the hype for ff16 and totk I've been thinking about this. as a pc first player I always got the sense that the two big console franchises that defined the market were final fantasy and Zelda. I remember in the 1990s hearing non stop about how amazing final fantasy 7 and ocarina of time were, and that continued into the ps2 era, where final fantasy 10 and twilight princess both saw an insane amount of hype.

but im thinking of today, and today, it doesnt feel like the two share that same level of prestige anymore. final fantasy is still obviously a big, major, and loved franchise, but it feels like it lost a lot of its stature from the ps1 days. meanwhile Zelda seems to be an even bigger deal now than it has ever been before.

its even weirder because Zelda is actually much rarer with game releases, but final fantasy has multiple major releases so you would think that final fantasy should be able to stay top of mind easier than something that shows up like once every eight years.

so how exactly did this happen?
Simple, because Square Enix is ashamed of their herritage and they are willing to kill the spirit of Final Fantasy to please the wrong audience. It would be a wake up call for Square Enix if FFXVI sell poorly compared to TotK.
With statements like "It will be like a Hollywood blockbuster" or "it will be like a Western tv show" is a proof of everything what's wrong with Square Enix and Final Fantasy.

Are you kidding me!? When it’s night NPCs goes to sleep and when it rains they look for cover. Heck I recently saw random NPC painting one of sky islands and at night he rested in his small tent. You see enemies hunting for animal and sometimes you NPC fighting one of the enemies.

You also those giant dragons you inside underground, I once ride one them to underground.
No, I'm not. NPC's In Shenmue looked to us umbrellas when it rained and that was 1999, I saw AI enemies fight against each other in Exhumed in 1996
In games like GTA 5 or Fallout 4 I feel the world is living and breathing. Don't get in Zelda BOTW it feels rather more basic and empty IMO a lot like Sea Of Thieves.

Top Bottom