• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzgc

Banned
Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with my now built 4770k 780gtx beast. Running fantastically and worth every cent

HoosTrax

Yay 7970GE arrived!

First impressions:

1) ooo purty...it has the light-up text on the side, sort of like some Nvidia cards, but it says "SAPPHIRE" and lights up white

2) The fan profile seems rather aggressive -- running Furmark, it seems to want to keep the card around 70C, and thus tunes the fan RPMs accordingly.

For comparison, the previous card I ran Furmark on was a friend's GTX550Ti, due to the 320.18 WHQL "card-killing issue", and that card seemed to have a fan profile tuned for 80C max.

3) At idle, it's just as quiet as my previous card (tri-slot ASUS DCUII GTX570)

Will commence testing in actual games...

Sothpaw

Hey guys I just wanted to say that, with the help of the OP and many others in this thread, I just got my first PC build ever up and running. Turns out the MSI GD65 mobo I ordered was DOA, so I switched it out for a Gigabyte and now the machine works perfectly. Absolutely loving it.

Thanks to all; made my first build and picking parts much easier. I wish every gamer would go through the process and that all games would be released for the master platform.

brentech

Woha! That's nice.

I quite like it. Had it set up a little to high for what I'm used to originally. Lowered it and still re-adjusted the tilt, seems about perfect. Can't wait to add another monitor, but I'm going to upgrade video card first and I'm waiting for the Nvidia 800s to come out.

Smokey

Crossposting from B/S/T thread:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64635921&postcount=11446

Selling:

Geforce GTX TITAN Superclocked

b8bteVw.jpg

$850

M3z_

d8c561c8_acx780slifirestrikescore.png

Just got through running some benchmarks with my new cards. Anyone know if there is a more OC favorable bios for the 780 like the Titans had?

Mr. Hyde

Do I have to use the newest Nvidia driver (the one causing people issues) with the gtx770? The 314.22 says I have no compatible hardware.

Current Specs: i7 930 QC (2.8 GHz) / Intel X58 / GTX 570 1.2 GB / 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD / 6 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) (2x3 GB) / 875W Dell PSU / Generic Disc Drive and Media Reader / Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Crappy Alienware Aroura Case

Budget: USA / would like <$1000

Main Use: Gaming / Word Processing / Video Editing / 3D Modeling / Game Dev / Internet browsing

Monitor Resolution: I am using a Dell 1080p/60Hz monitor that I love. I run a 1280x1024/60Hz monitor next to it to multitask, but disable it when gaming.

I use 3Ds Max / Cryengine FreeSDK / UDK / Steam / Chrome / Sony Vegas on a regular basis.

I do video editing, a lot of typing and HEAVY multitasking (20+ tabs in Chrome, Word, Steam Chats, etc)

In games, I love a locked 60 FPS, but if it fluctuates I prefer to lock my games at 30 FPS.

When will you build?: Upgrading within the next 3 days

Will you be overclocking?: Nope

Looking to reuse any parts?: Refer to below.

The below part:

Some background:

I bought an Alienware Aurora 4 years ago and have upgraded the GPU once. in the time since I have encountered a few issues:

1) I am running out of space on my hard drive VERY quickly. I need to upgrade the HDD to AT LEAST a 2 TB drive/setup. I have tried organizing it. The work I do just simply isn't space-friendly.

2) I have noticed the PSU is starting to go bad and have encountered quite a few issues with it

3) My current case (the Alienware one) is VERY bad when it comes to airflow and I am in need of a new case.

I have decided to upgrade it because of this. I need some help figuring out what I need to reuse and what I need to get. I have no Windows 7 discs that aren't used left and I am contemplating getting Windows 8 for the upgrade, as Windows 7 is currently more expensive. Thanks in advance if I am unable to get back to you.

Wickwire

gah, I was running some stress tests on my new rig I built over the last two days and something happened and I'm at a complete loss and too tired to fuck around with it anymore, so Im hoping someone can give me clue to whats wrong. here's what happened:

I was running a cpu and gpu stress test and it froze. I manually reset the computer and when it got back into windows the mouse and keyboard weren't registering. I removed them them from their USB ports and then everything shut down. Now when I hit either the case power button or the Mobo power button it just slightly starts to power up and then does nothing. here is a video of whats happening. I tried another PSU tonight and it's doing the same thing. I'm thinking it's the Mobo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr_1D3lCU74&feature=youtu.be

here's a run down of the parts i'm using:

win7 home premium
HX750 PSU
Samsung 840 SSD
H100i CPU cooler
Corsair 650D
i7-3770K
sapphire 7970
ASrock z77 extreme 4 mobo
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
LG rw bluray drive

Any ideas? thanks

Ocho

After installing my SSD, I've been having this weird issue that whenever I try to update my copy of Windows, I lose signal in both of my screens. I need to restore to a previous point to be able to see anything. Also, I experienced a BSOD. How can I see if my SSD is faulty? What are the symptomps? Any tool? Thanks. Edit: Mionitors stopped responding because there are some Intel driver updates in the mix, and somehow fucks up the whole thing. Still, BSOD after installing SSD. :(

brentech

After installing my SSD, I've been having this weird issue that whenever I try to update my copy of Windows, I lose signal in both of my screens. I need to restore to a previous point to be able to see anything. Also, I experienced a BSOD. How can I see if my SSD is faulty? What are the symptomps? Any tool? Thanks. Edit: Mionitors stopped responding because there are some Intel driver updates in the mix, and somehow fucks up the whole thing. Still, BSOD after installing SSD. :(
I'd be checking the event viewer to see what errors are showing up and Google them for further info.

Smash88

Banned
I would totally buy Smokey's Titan if I wasn't in Canada and if the potential for a GTX 790 releasing soon wasn't a possibility as I could step-up.

I'm curious why you are selling your card Smokey? Is SLI not good with Titan or not worth it?

Wallach

Well, she's up and running. I'll post a pic once Win7 finishes installing; actually managed decent cabling on this one.

What are the good 6xx series drivers atm? I know the latest release was buggered somehow.

edit - nm I found the 314s

HoosTrax

I'm liking CCC, I have to say. Seems much more enthusiast-friendly than Nvidia Control Panel.

With NV, I don't understand why I have to download third party apps just to see the most basic info, like temps and fan speed. Why hide that stuff from me. It used to be that there was an advanced section of the NV util that let you see that...I don't know why it seemingly disappeared...maybe I'm blind.

Team Red is working out pretty well so far. I was kind of skeptical that the Vapor-X cooler would do as good a job as the DirectCUII, but it doesn't seem any louder so far.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm liking CCC, I have to say. Seems much more enthusiast-friendly than Nvidia Control Panel.

With NV, I don't understand why I have to download third party apps just to see the most basic info, like temps and fan speed. Why hide that stuff from me. It used to be that there was an advanced section of the NV util that let you see that...I don't know why it seemingly disappeared...maybe I'm blind.

Team Red is working out pretty well so far. I was kind of skeptical that the Vapor-X cooler would do as good a job as the DirectCUII, but it doesn't seem any louder so far.
That's weird, I used AMD cards for 5 years with CCC, but not only did it not give you control over everything (you could use the third-party ATI pro utility or whatever for more settings), but I felt like I would always read about nVidia driver adjustments that provided more features like better SGSSAA, or those special hex codes to get AA working with certain games, or whatever. Maybe things changed in the last year or two.

I have a silly question about my 770. My motherboard is vertical of course, and the 770 is like a foot long and huge with two fans, and if you press on the bottom of it you can tell it can move vertically on the loose corner. Is it bad for a motherboard for a PCIe slot to be stressed so much by half of a huge card hanging vertically? I feel like there should be some sort of support on the loose corner of the card. =P

Smokey

I would totally buy Smokey's Titan if I wasn't in Canada and if the potential for a GTX 790 releasing soon wasn't a possibility as I could step-up.

I'm curious why you are selling your card Smokey? Is SLI not good with Titan or not worth it?

1. I want to use this money towards the purchase of a new plasma to replace the horrible shit LED I currently have in my living room.

2. I've always been somewhat bothered that I have a regular Titan and a Superclocked Titan. Selling the SC and later down the road if I want I'll pick up another vanilla.

3. I'll still have the fastest consumer GPU on the market. That's not too bad of an outcome :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys I just wanted to say that, with the help of the OP and many others in this thread, I just got my first PC build ever up and running. Turns out the MSI GD65 mobo I ordered was DOA, so I switched it out for a Gigabyte and now the machine works perfectly. Absolutely loving it.

Thanks to all; made my first build and picking parts much easier. I wish every gamer would go through the process and that all games would be released for the master platform.
Sucks to hear about the DOA. Glad everything is running well!
Current Specs: i7 930 QC (2.8 GHz) / Intel X58 / GTX 570 1.2 GB / 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD / 6 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) (2x3 GB) / 875W Dell PSU / Generic Disc Drive and Media Reader / Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Crappy Alienware Aroura Case

Budget: USA / would like <$1000

Main Use: Gaming / Word Processing / Video Editing / 3D Modeling / Game Dev / Internet browsing

Monitor Resolution: I am using a Dell 1080p/60Hz monitor that I love. I run a 1280x1024/60Hz monitor next to it to multitask, but disable it when gaming.

I use 3Ds Max / Cryengine FreeSDK / UDK / Steam / Chrome / Sony Vegas on a regular basis.

I have decided to upgrade it because of this. I need some help figuring out what I need to reuse and what I need to get. I have no Windows 7 discs that aren't used left and I am contemplating getting Windows 8 for the upgrade, as Windows 7 is currently more expensive. Thanks in advance if I am unable to get back to you.
Oof. You can and scavenge RAM/HDD but I think it would be best to sell it as a whole.
There's an argument to be made for all the platforms, but going with the Excellent Build (3770 instead of K) nets you the most performance with cash left over to spend on HDDs. I'd still recommend you overclock as it's a 25% free speed boost which is nothing to sneeze at. If not, you can step down the motherboard (Unless you need some features on a Z77).

If budget isn't that limiting to you you can overclock a 3820 on LGA2011, but I dunno how much the extra memory bandwidth will help or not for your uses!
gah, I was running some stress tests on my new rig I built over the last two days and something happened and I'm at a complete loss and too tired to fuck around with it anymore, so Im hoping someone can give me clue to whats wrong. here's what happened:

I was running a cpu and gpu stress test and it froze. I manually reset the computer and when it got back into windows the mouse and keyboard weren't registering. I removed them them from their USB ports and then everything shut down. Now when I hit either the case power button or the Mobo power button it just slightly starts to power up and then does nothing. here is a video of whats happening. I tried another PSU tonight and it's doing the same thing. I'm thinking it's the Mobo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr_1D3lCU74&feature=youtu.be

here's a run down of the parts i'm using:

win7 home premium
HX750 PSU
Samsung 840 SSD
H100i CPU cooler
Corsair 650D
i7-3770K
sapphire 7970
ASrock z77 extreme 4 mobo
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
LG rw bluray drive

Any ideas? thanks
I'd lean towards mobo. What load temps and voltages were you looking at?
Make sure the 8 pin mobo power is in and the RAM is fully secure in the slots.

Then take out the mobo from the case with barebones parts only and test it.
Go into safe mode and uninstall those drivers if possible.
Well, she's up and running. I'll post a pic once Win7 finishes installing; actually managed decent cabling on this one.

What are the good 6xx series drivers atm? I know the latest release was buggered somehow.

Smash88

Banned
1. I want to use this money towards the purchase of a new plasma to replace the horrible shit LED I currently have in my living room.

2. I've always been somewhat bothered that I have a regular Titan and a Superclocked Titan. Selling the SC and later down the road if I want I'll pick up another vanilla.

3. I'll still have the fastest consumer GPU on the market. That's not too bad of an outcome :p

Ahh fair enough. Win-Win for you.

My Titan SC > Your Titan Regular. Only real winner is me though. :p

Has anyone used the GPT windows 7 install? Sean's guide said it would make three partitions but mine made two.

Make sure UEFI boot is enabled in your BIOS and boot from the UEFI version of your CD drive in the boot menu. Otherwise you're just booting with the old BIOS support.

And god damn it's hard to split an SSD for use with SRT. Must have reinstalled Win7 about 5 times.

I don't know if this has already been posted or not, But just a heads up for anyone planning on buying an AMD GPU off of Amazon. They no longer offer the Never Settle AMD bundle. I recently had to find this out the hard way. :(

Thankfully, they did offered me a 20% discount off of my original payment, but that’s because their Customer Service had originally email me stating that I would receive the bundle within 7-10 business days.

HoosTrax

That's weird, I used AMD cards for 5 years with CCC, but not only did it not give you control over everything (you could use the third-party ATI pro utility or whatever for more settings), but I felt like I would always read about nVidia driver adjustments that provided more features like better SGSSAA, or those special hex codes to get AA working with certain games, or whatever. Maybe things changed in the last year or two.

I have a silly question about my 770. My motherboard is vertical of course, and the 770 is like a foot long and huge with two fans, and if you press on the bottom of it you can tell it can move vertically on the loose corner. Is it bad for a motherboard for a PCIe slot to be stressed so much by half of a huge card hanging vertically? I feel like there should be some sort of support on the loose corner of the card. =P
Yeah I was surprised. It has something akin to a stripped down version of Afterburner that lets you adjust voltage and mem+core clocks, in addition to showing your status info like temps and fan speed. I mean, in all honesty, the bar was set very low since my previous foray into the Red camp was with a card that couldn't even output via DVI to my particular monitor model (ATI kept giving me the run-around on why only VGA worked and how my HP monitor was not standards-compliant). But I'm still pleasantly surprised that it would have more built-in bells and whistles.

I wouldn't stress too much about the 770. I had a massively heavy three-slot ASUS video card on my motherboard for two years prior to this, without issue.

edit - nm I found the 314s

Do not install the 320.18's.

I'm still in the process of testing, but over the past couple weeks I've for certain narrowed it down to my Nvidia video card, and after installing the 320.18's no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling drivers would fix it, nor did running the free-version of Driver Fusion.

I ran for over 2 days without a single problem when I put my old 5870 back in.

So last night I initiated Plan E and reinstalled Windows. A pain in the ass, but we'll see if this fixes it. I played for a couple hours last night and everything seemed fine, but it's still too early to tell.

I don't know if it's just BF3 or what, but those drivers are f'd.

knitoe

It can, but it will down-clock to the lower clocked card.

Are you sure? I haven't kept up with CF, but with 6970 & 6950, they both run at full speed. It's just the 6970 has a slighly higher load balance while the 6950 slightly lower to compensate for the different speeds and processing power. I don't see why ATI would change it for newer card, like a 7970 & 7970GHz.

tauke

I'm planning to pickup a GTX780 soon and since all manufacturer need to adhere to the reference design, I assume it is safe to pickup any brand right?

Leaning towards to grab ASUS or Gigabyte brand. I'm still open to suggestion for other brand since I will be ordering through the local Newegg service (which order stock from US) since for odd reason, my local retailers markup the GTX 700 series by 20% higher than US MSRP (currently in Malaysia).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
slightly confused by an overclocking article for the 7950 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7950_overclock_guide,2.html

it seems to test stock (800/1250) with a basic overclock (1020/1575) and a voltage bumped overclock (1150/1575)

Now it seems to my simple eyes that the basic overclock is 25% higher than stock, while the voltage tweaked is only 12% higher than the basic overclock. So that made me think I'd just stick with a basic overclock, should be good enough.

but their benchmarks show a different story - eg battlefield 3 1920x1200 ultra
stock - 40fps
basic overclock - 44fps
1150 overclock - 55fps

that seems counterintuitive to me - shouldn't it be more like 40/50/60? Why such relatively low returns from the first overclock?

is there a benefit from the extra bump, or would you recommend just leaving a 7950 at about 1000/1575?

Mr. Hyde

I nave my cable management done decently. The back door f the case barely closes but the airflow areas are nice and spacious. The only problem I have now is figuring where the front panel usb 3.0 connector goes. There is no spot for it near the usb 2.0 slots. I can't find a fit anywhere.

Addnan

I nave my cable management done decently. The back door f the case barely closes but the airflow areas are nice and spacious. The only problem I have now is figuring where the front panel usb 3.0 connector goes. There is no spot for it near the usb 2.0 slots. I can't find a fit anywhere.

Should look like the blue one on the left. Some motherboards have them at a right angle.

gQ03TrC.jpg

edit: eg the blue one next to the sata ports.

pLpMD0b.jpg

kennah

Bumping someone's BST post. Really good price for a 480.

NeoGAF Plus Seller (Previously Gold)

Payment will be handled via Amazon (Gift Cards/Payments) or PayPal.

For those choosing the latter, be sure to cover the transaction fee or utilize the gift (family & friends) option when providing payment.

That said, should you have any questions or purchase claims, please feel free to contact me through a PM.

&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;
USPS Priority Mail (2-3 Days) - Contiguous United States Only
&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;&#9644;

ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E Sound Card ($25 Shipped)

Product Information

Like New Condition - Original Packaging Included

EVGA GTX 480 1536MB Graphics Card ($85 Shipped)

Product Information

Very Good Condition - No Original Packaging Included

Wired Xbox 360 Controller for Windows ($25 Shipped)

Product Information

Like New Condition - Original Packaging Included

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm planning to pickup a GTX780 soon and since all manufacturer need to adhere to the reference design, I assume it is safe to pickup any brand right?

Leaning towards to grab ASUS or Gigabyte brand. I'm still open to suggestion for other brand since I will be ordering through the local Newegg service (which order stock from US) since for odd reason, my local retailers markup the GTX 700 series by 20% higher than US MSRP (currently in Malaysia).

In the course of researching my new build several people have told me to choose eVGA or Gigabye over ASUS. I don't have any concrete evidence that ASUS cards have some sort of systematic problem.

Mr. Hyde

Everything seems to be running good so far. The cpu seems to idle around 33C on all cores. It's haswell so I am sure it will go to double that during stress tests.

All things being equal I've always went with EVGA just for their customer support and warranty. That said I haven't bought an EVGA card in awhile.

Ocho

Thanks for the suggestion regarding my SSD problem, guys. Computer is now working after I removed those Intel drivers.

Second question, though, I keep getting shutdowns while playing some games. It's not heat because it happens instantly while showing 50 C temps GPU and CPU, computer shuts down completely (no BSOD or anything), and restarts.

I thought my GPU was the issue but I RMA'd and they returned it stating nothing was wrong. It's not my HDD since I now have a new SSD and it still happens. And last night I left memtest running and it passed 7 times without issue.

So, now I'm thinking it's my PSU or Motherboard. Hopefully PSU. I have an Intel i5 OC to 4.5 and a 670. What is a cheap, good PSU I can buy to test if this is the issue, and if so, send my 750 corsair PSU for warranty. Will the Antec VP-450 provide enough wattage?

So, now I'm thinking it's my PSU or Motherboard. Hopefully PSU. I have an Intel i5 OC to 4.5 and a 670. What is a cheap, good PSU I can buy to test if this is the issue, and if so, send my 750 corsair PSU for warranty. Will the Antec VP-450 provide enough wattage?

Well, first thing, disable that OC and see if it still does it.

Tomas

Banned
Is it normal for the South Bridge Chipset to be super hot (about 80C measured with my hands). It has some sort of heatsink but I don't have any dedicated airflow there. I know it is not going to overheat, because I am using the system for about 8 months now.
Fractal R3 Case, Asus P8Z77-V LX.
Should I get an extra fan to mount it on the side or it is natural for the chipset to run really hot?

Any news on MSI 4GB version of 770 GTX (Lightning or G Series)? I really dig their cooler. I don't like small fans of Windforce. Also Lightning completely stomps other cards in noise/temperature:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-26.html

Sober

Ok GAF, hit me.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($465.85 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($126.07 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1313.87

I'm not against switching parts but I'm more concerned about price/performance ratio than the actual price. Still seems a lot plus I don't plan on using Newegg canada at all, so you can ignore those prices but I'll probably be ballparking around there either way.

GPU I might go eVGA/wait for eVGA 4gb model, mobo I could go ASUS -A instead. Anything else I should be worried about?

Addnan

A friend has had an SSD as his main/only drive for a while. Recently he added a 3TB HDD as a second drive and its slowed down boot times by about 30 seconds. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or is this thing just slowing it down?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Bit-Tech are pretty impressed with the new Corsair Carbide dual-chamber case, it appears: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2013/06/19/corsair-carbide-air-540-review/1

We have to admit that we're quite taken with the Carbide Air 540. Cube cases aren't for everyone but there's something about the ease with which you can build a system into it as well as it's unique look and water-cooling-friendly design that makes it a much more appealing option than your average enthusiast tower case. In fact, we'd much rather own it than its big brother, the Obsidian 900D, or any of the large tower cases we've seen recently.

Its price tag makes it especially attractive and combined with the fact it would stand out (for good, not bad reasons) at a LAN party means Corsair has pulled off something special here - a case that's different but actually good and doesn't cost a fortune. When the cube cases of last decade became popular they proved quite tricky to get hold of, and were snapped up by eager enthusiasts in the second hand market.

A few have been made since, such as Lian Li's Lian Li PC-343B, but it's enormous and costs a fortune, as do those from Mountain Mods. The Carbide Air 540 is relatively quiet, well-made, offers good cooling and costs less than £120. It's not quite feature-packed but if you're after a unique-looking case with good air and water-cooling potential or are fed-up trying to cram cables in to dark corners, this is the one to get.

You're either going to love or hate the looks, but for those of you who shove your system behind or under a desk that won't matter one bit.

Edit: Acoustic performance isn't the best in Hexus' tests, unfortunately: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/56953-corsair-carbide-series-air-540/?page=4

Ok GAF, hit me.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($465.85 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($126.07 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1313.87

I'm not against switching parts but I'm more concerned about price/performance ratio than the actual price. Still seems a lot plus I don't plan on using Newegg canada at all, so you can ignore those prices but I'll probably be ballparking around there either way.

GPU I might go eVGA/wait for eVGA 4gb model, mobo I could go ASUS -A instead. Anything else I should be worried about?

Haswell offers you an element of future-proofing, but given the slow rate of CPU development (a 2-3yr old i7-2600K is better at OC'd speeds), you may be able to save money by buying Ivy or Sandy Bridge components.

RE: The GPU, some round here are rather against 4GB VRAM, but I personally think it'll be needed for max texture settings in the foreseeable future, and that's not me saying that just to generate extra revenue for NVIDIA or our partners.

mkenyon

Banned
I really really like that they've started to use better fans in their cases too. Having the same mechanisms as the AF series in a less expensive enclosure makes for a great fan that doesn't need to be replaced. That's some definite added value there.
RE: The GPU, some round here are rather against 4GB VRAM, but I personally think it'll be needed for max texture settings in the foreseeable future, and that's not me saying that just to generate extra revenue for NVIDIA or our partners.
Personally, it's not that I don't think future games won't need 4GB VRAM, I'm just a skeptic. I won't really be convinced of the 670/680/770 4GB performance benefits until I see tests that show me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom